Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Fairway Woods

Hit both of the heads tonight. Was absolutely sure that I was going with the standard but I’ll let the pictures sit and continue to ponder. Both were on the screws for the most part so forgiveness is an imperfect discussion presently.

Both had the atmos black 7x in there. Tried with smoke and just really didn’t get along with it.

Tour head set neutral.
5725f351bfdfd5b7faca78fa7e2c63d5.jpg

Standard head set one degree down.
e43d45631ba62274bd10c1954f82addb.jpg

How do those numbers compare to what you would want to see in a 3 wood?

Hit both of the heads tonight. Was absolutely sure that I was going with the standard but I’ll let the pictures sit and continue to ponder. Both were on the screws for the most part so forgiveness is an imperfect discussion presently.

Both had the atmos black 7x in there. Tried with smoke and just really didn’t get along with it.

Tour head set neutral.
5725f351bfdfd5b7faca78fa7e2c63d5.jpg

Standard head set one degree down.
e43d45631ba62274bd10c1954f82addb.jpg

Very impressive. Obviously you hit them both well. Did your eye prefer the smaller head of the tour version? I know mine does even though I too do not get along with the smoke shaft.

dan- why was ballspeed 1mph with the standard even though you were swinging it almost 2mph faster?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

dan- why was ballspeed 1mph with the standard even though you were swinging it almost 2mph faster?

Not as good a strike? Smash on the tour was 1.50 and regular was 1.46??

Not as good a strike? Smash on the tour was 1.50 and regular was 1.46??

he mentioned forgiveness wasn’t an issue because he was hitting the ball well. i assumed he posted the best strikes from both.

he mentioned forgiveness wasn’t an issue because he was hitting the ball well. i assumed he posted the best strikes from both.

Yeah best strikes with both although i didn’t hit them very much. A few swings with both to get the timing down and then basically best of two from there.

We both laughed at the 1.50 on the tour. So much for a full on sample.

Also of note, the regular head still had the sticker on the face so I assume there’s some spin missing.

Very impressive. Obviously you hit them both well. Did your eye prefer the smaller head of the tour version? I know mine does even though I too do not get along with the smoke shaft.

Nah that kind of thing doesn’t bother me at all. If that bothered me I’d never be able to hit a driver.

I think the increased spin could also account for the lower ball speed, maybe not all of it, but some.

Damn I would take either one of those with those numbers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Damn I would take either one of those with those numbers

Except for the spin, I would take either with a driver.

How do those numbers compare to what you would want to see in a 3 wood?

270 is a long way for a three wood. I only had a couple shaft options, basically the Atmos black and the Smoke, and the Atmos outperformed quite a bit. Wishing they had hzrdus yellow but no luck.

Speed is where i want it to be (usually about 111-112 on GC models).
Bridging 160mph is excellent for a three wood in my books.
Really satisfied with anything better than 1.45 with a fairway.
As I want it to replace the driver in a lot of ways, I love the 100-120 ft of peak height.

The one thing that isn't really considered here is the descent angle, which is about the only number I chase. If I can float it around 40 I've got a chance of the ball landing and rolling. Sub 40 is absolutely my unicorn number with driver let alone fairway.

Dan great numbers. Does the shorter shaft in the tour setup seem easier to swing than the longer one in the standard head? Or was it literally the same shaft length?

It was the same shaft.

So you installed the same shaft in both heads?

I ask because I believe Cam was referencing the fact that in stock spec's the standard model is 1/4" longer.

So you installed the same shaft in both heads?

I ask because I believe Cam was referencing the fact that in stock spec's the standard model is 1/4" longer.

yeah, they only had one option, so it was same shaft moved head to head.

Those are some impressive numbers with a 3 wood.

Would you even need to hit driver with those numbers? On a 6500 yard course you will most likely have a wedge in hand on most par 4's with your 3 wood (assuming 410 yard average for par 4s). I guess i'm just curious if there is enough gap between your strong 3 wood and driver unless the 3 wood you are looking at a specific shape a la rory.

Nonetheless, those are some pretty solid numbers for a 3 wood. If the tour had a sticker on it pulling down spin as well, I would probably look at that one.

Those are some impressive numbers with a 3 wood.

Would you even need to hit driver with those numbers? On a 6500 yard course you will most likely have a wedge in hand on most par 4's with your 3 wood (assuming 410 yard average for par 4s). I guess i'm just curious if there is enough gap between your strong 3 wood and driver unless the 3 wood you are looking at a specific shape a la rory.

Nonetheless, those are some pretty solid numbers for a 3 wood. If the tour had a sticker on it pulling down spin as well, I would probably look at that one.

The sticker was actually on the regular head, so I'd say they are somewhere between 400 and 600 RPM of spin apart.

It looks like for the Morgan Cup, my lowest spin option is the smoke, which means I'll be leaning hard towards the tour head as that added about 300-400RPM vs the Atmos black.

Don't forget about the Aldila nv2k green. Also a fairly low spin shaft that is available for the Morgan Cup.

270 is a long way for a three wood. I only had a couple shaft options, basically the Atmos black and the Smoke, and the Atmos outperformed quite a bit. Wishing they had hzrdus yellow but no luck.

Speed is where i want it to be (usually about 111-112 on GC models).
Bridging 160mph is excellent for a three wood in my books.
Really satisfied with anything better than 1.45 with a fairway.
As I want it to replace the driver in a lot of ways, I love the 100-120 ft of peak height.

The one thing that isn't really considered here is the descent angle, which is about the only number I chase. If I can float it around 40 I've got a chance of the ball landing and rolling. Sub 40 is absolutely my unicorn number with driver let alone fairway.

I was looking at the descent angles and wondering which you preferred. Although you wouldn’t need it on a 6500 yard course, the descent of the non-tour head would better stop on a green of a very long par 5. Again, not a Morgan Cup need for you, but maybe from championship tees on another day...

Don't forget about the Aldila nv2k green. Also a fairly low spin shaft that is available for the Morgan Cup.

Yeah, it's definitely lingering, but most places don't have it to hit, and I'm not trying to experiment - I'd rather go with something I've seen and am familiar with, rather than be disappointed because i wanted to mix it up. My swing is pretty long and smooth, with most of my action late as I arrive into the ball. While the smoke isn't a great option for that kind of swing (it's geared more towards an aggressive move), I know it'll work decently well.

I was looking at the descent angles and wondering which you preferred. Although you wouldn’t need it on a 6500 yard course, the descent of the non-tour head would better stop on a green of a very long par 5. Again, not a Morgan Cup need for you, but maybe from championship tees on another day...

yeah, the descent angles for me are all about getting through the wind and falling forward, not getting caught up and dropping. As much as it would be cool to have some stopping power, the amount of times I'm 250-270 and hoping for a green stopping shot from the fairway are pretty much null in comparison to how often I like to take three wood off the tee.

Yeah, it's definitely lingering, but most places don't have it to hit, and I'm not trying to experiment - I'd rather go with something I've seen and am familiar with, rather than be disappointed because i wanted to mix it up. My swing is pretty long and smooth, with most of my action late as I arrive into the ball. While the smoke isn't a great option for that kind of swing (it's geared more towards an aggressive move), I know it'll work decently well.

yeah, the descent angles for me are all about getting through the wind and falling forward, not getting caught up and dropping. As much as it would be cool to have some stopping power, the amount of times I'm 250-270 and hoping for a green stopping shot from the fairway are pretty much null in comparison to how often I like to take three wood off the tee.

And it’s not like it was falling out of the sky with the tour. You were hitting 100 ft and barely sub 40. Honestly I thought it was ideal

yeah, they only had one option, so it was same shaft moved head to head.

I figured as much, but clarity and all that jazz you know.

Got some more numbers between the two heads. Totally uninterested in the smoke here, but I’d say the tour head is pretty much a done deal.

72618f95844654d04e279222e3777d15.jpg

c1a38a4ee2b13b9cd404bd5e6dfaabe5.jpg

16aca3aab8b368f507aedf147d2e1511.jpg

Versus

e086c528e40d47ff2389577c8b436cbb.jpg

8bfeec81657db4f586cf69fa0f05ef04.jpg

ff69abf2250270a63bcba25c90e81f22.jpg

9a51b1395923fa5f15aba655f2a6d44b.jpg

Here's what the data wasn't telling;

First, it took me one swing to get comfortable with the tour head, and then I got two great strikes right out of the gate. Took pretty much no time to be happy with a couple swings. Swapped heads and immediately started to struggle. Couldn't really find the swing I wanted and the ball was heading everywhere (left and right) with loads of spin. I wanted badly to run with the standard head, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Shaft wise for the MC, there's a good chance we're going NV Green 7x. The Smoke is just not a shaft I enjoy, and nothing else is low spin.

Back