Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Driver

Does it look like this? There is a groove? hard to tell from your pictures.

Face.jpg

There is a groove but the milled piece of steel isn't flush with the inset of the head. The shiny part in my picture sticks out from the face a touch and the side edge is exposed and sharp. It doesn't feel loose but I haven't hit a ball with this exact head so I'm afraid it's not properly bonded. I've got the return in process. Shouldn't be an issue, just didn't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill...

It starts to come away right where the light gray is on the bottom "N" in TUNED

FjToFukl.jpg

There is a groove but the milled piece of steel isn't flush with the inset of the head. The shiny part in my picture sticks out from the face a touch and the side edge is exposed and sharp. It doesn't feel loose but I haven't hit a ball with this exact head so I'm afraid it's not properly bonded. I've got the return in process. Shouldn't be an issue, just didn't want to make a mountain out of a mole hill...

It starts to come away right where the light gray is on the bottom "N" in TUNED

FjToFukl.jpg
Better safe than sorry.. I'm sure the cobra guys will get you sorted quickly!!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Are most people playing with the larger weight in the forward/face position? I have moved it around on prior King drivers over the years, but seem to always end up in that configuration.

Right now I am not doing that weight position, no. I need to see where my spin numbers are but I went stock tour length placements and the flight was great.

I just noticed the milled face on the bottom of my driver doesn't seem to be flush with the frame of the head. My wife bought me the driver from Amazon (had some credit) and when I called Cobra, they said I had to deal with the return through Amazon. Amazon has always been fine with returns but I was wondering if anyone else has seen QC issues with the separate face on this club.
Ig1ZTOw
Ovt2I2P

Ovt2I2Pl.jpg

Ig1ZTOwl.jpg

Any one else have this? Any one feel it should be cause for concern?

Thanks

I’ll take a look at mine shortly and report back!

IMG_4150.jpg

Ordered last week and arrived today! Was totally surprised when I saw the box sitting outside my garage when I got home from work today.

Are people generally happy with the Cobra Connect grips? (Sorry, if this question has been addressed in a different thread)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My miss has definitely been right with the F9 driver. I think when i get back, I am going to start toying a bit with some extra weight towards the heel to see if I can get that heel driving through early (it's my swing not the head). What's crazy to me, is even when I am "missing" I still see the ball mark right on the button which is awesome.

Also really excited to get my Nippon Regio in play with the head. The little time I had with it in play the results were fantastic. I'm sure that will continue when I get some actual rest on the body and back on a course i am familiar with.

Still one of my favourite sounding drivers of all time, too. It's soooooooooooooo good.

My miss has definitely been right with the F9 driver. I think when i get back, I am going to start toying a bit with some extra weight towards the heel to see if I can get that heel driving through early (it's my swing not the head). What's crazy to me, is even when I am "missing" I still see the ball mark right on the button which is awesome.

Also really excited to get my Nippon Regio in play with the head. The little time I had with it in play the results were fantastic. I'm sure that will continue when I get some actual rest on the body and back on a course i am familiar with.

Still one of my favourite sounding drivers of all time, too. It's soooooooooooooo good.

#AreYouRegioLetsGoooooo

Do you think the Regio would help with the right miss without tinkering with weight?

#AreYouRegioLetsGoooooo

Do you think the Regio would help with the right miss without tinkering with weight?

Not really sure, buddy! When I hit it a few weeks ago it was an absolute laser beam. Flat flight too, which means the bounces are going to come.

I think it's more just being worn out. I've played a LOT of golf in the last week with some sore elements in play.

Right now at the range I've been grinding back out the swing. I definitely was missing right during the Morgan Cup.

On the range I've hit some absolute stunners and so have the people I've let try it. I'm contemplating putting it in the draw setting to help calm down the right miss or the weight back for more stability.

The thing is so long that I may be moving back a set of tees so I actually have a legit landing area.

I just noticed the milled face on the bottom of my driver doesn't seem to be flush with the frame of the head. My wife bought me the driver from Amazon (had some credit) and when I called Cobra, they said I had to deal with the return through Amazon. Amazon has always been fine with returns but I was wondering if anyone else has seen QC issues with the separate face on this club.
Ig1ZTOw
Ovt2I2P

Ovt2I2Pl.jpg

Ig1ZTOwl.jpg

Any one else have this? Any one feel it should be cause for concern?

Thanks

If I manipulate my face to the side it has the same thing and it performs perfectly. My guess is this is normal but I’d have others weigh in too.
f59589cc48e791c44beeee8e0eb66be0.jpg

Got to hit this on course for real today finally. I heeled one on the fifth hole that should have gone nowhere and was maybe only 8 yards short of my normal spot. As that is my usual miss, I'll take that any day of the week.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This driver has been a fantastic addition to my bag. the pairing with the counterbalanced yellow shaft, tour length, and additional head weight has me as confident as I’ve been in years with a driver.

Although I only got it a few days before the Morgan cup it was basically lights out right out of the box. Now that I have some time, I plan to get some launch monitor data and see if I can turn what is already great into something that is longer than any other driver I’ve used.

I’m not a tremendously long driver of the ball but I’m not terribly short either and at the Morgan cup I saw two drives in the 270 range and Arccos is saying 245 is about what I can expect on average. Given that there was a fair amount of wind in each direction I feel like that number sounds about right. 245 and a fairway finder is deadly. I’ll told I’m expecting a great handicap year thanks to the F9 driver

Are most people playing with the larger weight in the forward/face position? I have moved it around on prior King drivers over the years, but seem to always end up in that configuration.

18g back, 2g forward for me

I opted for the foregivness and boy does it

Coming from the two driver setup - and 5 rounds of golf in - I still need to find the right loft/weight setup. However I think the 44.5 shaft is the perfect length for me in a driver. I wasn't seeing crazy distance increase nor was I seeing significant loss via Cobra Connect - I would say my distance is very comparable to where @Molten lives with driver.

I think what makes the this driver work for me is the distance increase is better than the F8 Thriver I was playing last year - however I find the center of the face more than my other driver and I'm seeing more accuracy. If I can get driver out there and accurately it definitely relieves pressure on my iron/short game play and gives me a better chance at lower scores.

I'm looking forward to seeing how this shakes out over the course of a season.

Cobra KING F9 SPEEDBACK Driver

I’m looking forward to tinkering with the weights (I bought a few extra off the cobra site) to really get this driver dialed in this year. I played it with the heavy weight forward at the MC (only hit it a handful of times at the event, mostly took 3W off the tee) but I’m leaning towards moving that weight to the back for the additional forgiveness it provides with some increase in spin. I’m in love with the sound and feel of the F9, and once I find the correct setup to reduce dispersion I truly believe it will help me bring down my scores this summer.

I also had the privilege of watching M2Giles, AcushnetGolf and BoilerCLE hit some absolute bombs with this thing (300+ for all of them). I get a bit giddy thinking about how far this driver will go once my swing gets into mid-season form.

So welcomed me to the party. My speedback driver arrived today. #TeamAvalanche.

I ordered in a 10.5 degrees half inch short of standard; so basically a compromise between standard and tour length. To keep the swing weight at the stock D3 Cobra put in an 18g weight instead of the 14 gram. And kept the two gram weight as is.

The question that I have is when I demoed the Club at the shop it was obviously in the standard length configuration with the 14 and 2 gram weights. I found I hit it with lower spin and a bit more ball speed with the heavier weight up front. But I was still hitting it quite good with still very good spin numbers and maybe tighter dispersion with the heavier weight in back. However, I am wondering if having 18 instead of 14 grams up front or in the back of the head will cause any significant difference in playing characteristics in terms of launch and spin compared to the stock weights that I tried on the demo driver.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

So welcomed me to the party. My speedback driver arrived today. #TeamAvalanche.

I ordered in a 10.5 degrees half inch short of standard; so basically a compromise between standard and tour length. To keep the swing weight at the stock D3 Cobra put in an 18g weight instead of the 14 gram. And kept the two gram weight as is.

The question that I have is when I demoed the Club at the shop it was obviously in the standard length configuration with the 14 and 2 gram weights. I found I hit it with lower spin and a bit more ball speed with the heavier weight up front. But I was still hitting it quite good with still very good spin numbers and maybe tighter dispersion with the heavier weight in back. However, I am wondering if having 18 instead of 14 grams up front or in the back of the head will cause any significant difference in playing characteristics in terms of launch and spin compared to the stock weights that I tried on the demo driver.

4 grams should be pretty negligible as it is such a small percentage of the total head weight. May effect it a little, but I wouldn't go expecting to see drastically different numbers, if any difference at all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

4 grams should be pretty negligible as it is such a small percentage of the total head weight. May effect it a little, but I wouldn't go expecting to see drastically different numbers, if any difference at all.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Just figure stock has 14 vs 2 and felt from to back had good difference in spin about 400rpm and ball speed went up.
Figure 18 and 2 might exaggerate difference between front and back. And I think I fit more in the middle.
Wonder if Cobra would swap out the weights for a 14 and 6 instead.

@kevin81002 excited to see what you can do with this one on course tomorrow.

@kevin81002 excited to see what you can do with this one on course tomorrow.

I'm just excited to get down there and play with you guys again.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

If you struggle and haven’t tried your length, try it. I’m seeing the same distance but way improved accuracy. Like way improved.

If you struggle and haven’t tried your length, try it. I’m seeing the same distance but way improved accuracy. Like way improved.

To plug the Tour Length - my driver swing was absolute garbage yesterday- however the contact and misses with it were better than I would see with a typical driver.

I had the two way miss going but nothing was dead when I would have been impacted by stroke and distance- just a lateral punch out that gave me a chance to salvage something.

On better strikes I was in the short grass even if the distance wasn’t there

When I had a better swing last weekend - the distance/accuracy was definitely there for me.

To plug the Tour Length - my driver swing was absolute garbage yesterday- however the contact and misses with it were better than I would see with a typical driver.

I had the two way miss going but nothing was dead when I would have been impacted by stroke and distance- just a lateral punch out that gave me a chance to salvage something.

When I had a better swing last weekend - the distance/accuracy was definitely there for me.

For those of us playing stock length shafts and stock 14/2 weight configuration, what would be the best way to achieve a tour length set up?

For those of us playing stock length shafts and stock 14/2 weight configuration, what would be the best way to achieve a tour length set up?

I’d need to consult the full specs but I think the simply way is to butt trim 1” (might be 1.25”) and go to 18/6 weights to bring the swing weight back up.

If someone doesn’t confirm before, I’ll double check my math when I get back home this afternoon.

That's why I'm planning on moving towards that tour length as well. I want to pull in my dispersion a bit and I think the added head weight and improved quality of strike, I wont be sacrificing much in distance.

Back