Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

Excellent write up Kevin! A consistent improvement if not a huge one, everything looked very playable and a little bit of a yardage boost to boot!

Just waiting for the next addition....

025b58e24e754d5c2cda0d2347256eea.jpg

After you get comfortable with the Cortex would you be willing to screw the same shaft in the Triton and post the results? I have a feeling the Triton can hold its own against the new offerings. I have the Triton in the bag and its funny how it got there. I played a 2017 M1 for most of this year, I started looking for a replacement shaft for it and stumbled upon the Triton with the Rogue Black for $85 at Budget Golf, it looks like I overpaid LOL. My plan was to try the shaft for a minute in the Triton and if I liked it I was going to put it in the M1. Within a week of having the Triton the M1 was out of the bag. I love the Triton and I don't care about the stigma it has or the sound. I was not playing golf when the first DVD came out and bought the Triton before I watched it or knew about its tragic story. I guess its time to watch DVD 2 now that I have read everything there is to know about the Cortex.

After you get comfortable with the Cortex would you be willing to screw the same shaft in the Triton and post the results? I have a feeling the Triton can hold its own against the new offerings. I have the Triton in the bag and its funny how it got there. I played a 2017 M1 for most of this year, I started looking for a replacement shaft for it and stumbled upon the Triton with the Rogue Black for $85 at Budget Golf, it looks like I overpaid LOL. My plan was to try the shaft for a minute in the Triton and if I liked it I was going to put it in the M1. Within a week of having the Triton the M1 was out of the bag. I love the Triton and I don't care about the stigma it has or the sound. I was not playing golf when the first DVD came out and bought the Triton before I watched it or knew about its tragic story. I guess its time to watch DVD 2 now that I have read everything there is to know about the Cortex.

I will absolutely throw the shaft from the Triton in this head and do a side by side. I did that with the c300 for the review process too. I'm not a typical "its the shaft" guy, but I did sneak in some better results with c300 paired w/Rogue silver than I did with the stock Fuji that it came with. So I will likely do the same here when I get the chance.

I will absolutely throw the shaft from the Triton in this head and do a side by side. I did that with the c300 for the review process too. I'm not a typical "its the shaft" guy, but I did sneak in some better results with c300 paired w/Rogue silver than I did with the stock Fuji that it came with. So I will likely do the same here when I get the chance.

It would be great to see the numbers from both heads with both shafts to get a real sense of the difference. Please update the rant of the day thread when you find out more. Although we have not met in person I feel like I know you from your post's and reviews and I am hoping things turn out okay for you.

I'm honestly not surprised, I think they are going to move way more units than most here will realize or expect.

I’d love to see the buzz around this driver continue and hope it is a big hit for Wilson. Having played only 6 sets of irons since 1980 with 2 of those being Wilson Staffs, I’m a huge fan. I even bought a set of the FG Tour 100 irons just because they were pretty and look good in the man cave. They’ve haven’t made a driver in decades that passed the eye test for me but from what I see in pictures here, the Cortex will.

I wonder if they can maintain the interest into the spring as a big chunk of golfer live in northern states and have put golf on the back burner until March or April. I likely won’t have a chance to hit it until April. I don’t even know a retailer in the Minneapolis market that carries Wilson but I will find one. They good news is by then the Cortex should be easy to find at a discount.

I’d love to see the buzz around this driver continue and hope it is a big hit for Wilson. Having played only 6 sets of irons since 1980 with 2 of those being Wilson Staffs, I’m a huge fan. I even bought a set of the FG Tour 100 irons just because they were pretty and look good in the man cave. They’ve haven’t made a driver in decades that passed the eye test for me but from what I see in pictures here, the Cortex will.

I wonder if they can maintain the interest into the spring as a big chunk of golfer live in northern states and have put golf on the back burner until March or April. I likely won’t have a chance to hit it until April. I don’t even know a retailer in the Minneapolis market that carries Wilson but I will find one. They good news is by then the Cortex should be easy to find at a discount.

PGA Super Store there carries Wilson Staff.

PGA Super Store there carries Wilson Staff.

We moved here in June but strangely I haven’t been in a golfer retailer (other than Dicks to by some hockey skates)except one very brief stop at Club Champion. My club has a good selection of equipment but I will definitely need to get out and explore the different retailers in town. I only bought a few clubs this year but that is rare and next year I’ll be back to my normal “club ho” self again I’m sure.

We moved here in June but strangely I haven’t been in a golfer retailer (other than Dicks to by some hockey skates)except one very brief stop at Club Champion. My club has a good selection of equipment but I will definitely need to get out and explore the different retailers in town. I only bought a few clubs this year but that is rare and next year I’ll be back to my normal “club ho” self again I’m sure.

I bet 2nd Swing in Minnetonka or the other location would have this head to test. I'm not sure if they carry any in normal stock but if you did a fitting with them I would put money on it that they will have it.

That's some great information Kevinhooch. 5 yards for carry increase is pretty solid and shows it deserves to be up there with the other big boys. Great job!

It’s going to get up to 47 today so I am going to get on the range today for a few swings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd bet Golf Galaxy in Plymouth off of 494 would have them also. Their website has them listed.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Real nice comparison. Epic was such a massive success and your comparison shows Cortex belongs right there with the very best. I'd make the switch too.

BTW - Your consistency is darn impressive. Do you ever get bored stringing 1.48s and 1.49s on the SKYTRAK?

Thanks, the Skytrak has helped my Driver consistency a ton. I’m not a huge fan of hitting irons off mats because I tend to hit more thin shots on the course afterwards, but for Driver it’s been worth it’s weight in gold!
I was really impressed with the extra carry of the Cortex, but even better was the slight trajectory improvement. I could “get after it” a little more without turning my fade into a slice.
As Sposey has mentioned, I’m sure people think that we are just touting the Cortex because we just left the Wilson event, but I could tell on the course and now with hard data, it outperforms!

Thanks, the Skytrak has helped my Driver consistency a ton. I’m not a huge fan of hitting irons off mats because I tend to hit more thin shots on the course afterwards, but for Driver it’s been worth it’s weight in gold!
I was really impressed with the extra carry of the Cortex, but even better was the slight trajectory improvement. I could “get after it” a little more without turning my fade into a slice.
As Sposey has mentioned, I’m sure people think that we are just touting the Cortex because we just left the Wilson event, but I could tell on the course and now with hard data, it outperforms!
To my untrained eye, it looks like the only variable was how fast you were swinging the club. 2 mph of club head speed should be worth 5-6 yards of carry.

Do you think the increased club head speed was due to the design of the driver, a combo of shaft/head weight or that you were more pumped up to hit the Cortex so you unknowingly put more umph into the swings with it?

To my untrained eye, it looks like the only variable was how fast you were swinging the club. 2 mph of club head speed should be worth 5-6 yards of carry.

Do you think the increased club head speed was due to the design of the driver, a combo of shaft/head weight or that you were more pumped up to hit the Cortex so you unknowingly put more umph into the swings with it?

I’m no expert but from what I understand the Skytrak doesn’t actually measure club head speed and only assumes what it would be based on ball speed. If that’s true then the club head speed number is essentially useless.
With that said, I do think that I was more confident swinging the Cortex a touch faster without the fear of a huge 30 yard slice, which is what happens with my Epic. I have also tried 3 different shafts with the Epic and get the same dispersion / slice with each (Aldila Tour Red, Fujikura Pro 62, and ProjectX HZRDUS 6.0 Red 62 / all Stiff) which leads me to believe that the draw bias weighting in the Cortex is actually more effective than in the Epic (for my swing).
I would love to see the results on a Trackman that accurately measures club and ball data if anyone has access to one.

Love getting the feedback from guys that have actually swung it rather than the opinions of people making assumptions based on past products.

I also saw on twitter that another golf website was going to do a trackman test comparing the Cortex to the G400 LST. I LOVE my G400 LST, so the results will have my attention too.

Perusing the web last night abd this morning lots of thoughts on both sides of the discussion regarding perceptionofvtge brand, pricing, the show and what’s been talked about here. Not many have reported testing yesterday but the few that did were not impressed. Feel/sound was of note as being off with the comment being about the amount of carbon fiber in use and the placement and wondering if headweight was part of it. Same person also said it was 30 yards shorter than his ts3. Other person wasn’t impressed and said it lacked performance.

Curious if anyone has weighed the head yet? What is sound like compared to current releases?

Haha at someone testing a current driver and coming up 30 yards shorter than another model.

Im really glad THPers got to put this through its paces and have them in hand and continue to offer visual data and feedback.

Perusing the web last night abd this morning lots of thoughts on both sides of the discussion regarding perceptionofvtge brand, pricing, the show and what’s been talked about here. Not many have reported testing yesterday but the few that did were not impressed. Feel/sound was of note as being off with the comment being about the amount of carbon fiber in use and the placement and wondering if headweight was part of it. Same person also said it was 30 yards shorter than his ts3. Other person wasn’t impressed and said it lacked performance.

Curious if anyone has weighed the head yet? What is sound like compared to current releases?

Its interesting because I was creeping the web as well and saw the opposite sentiments being shared the majority of the time. Not picking a fight, just being honest.

I will call BS on TS3 being 30 yards longer that’s laughable.
I have not seen the reviews you speak of, imagine that

I also want it very clear that I think both sides of conversation are always merited, as with any release, time will tell the whole story and also it won't be the best fit for some, and some just won't like it. Thats golf.

Honest question Eric, you stated you are never going to hit this driver, since that’s the case why are you spending so much time searching for bad info on it?

Guys, lets not go down the road this is on the brink of going down. Please.

I also want it very clear that I think both sides of conversation are always merited, as with any release, time will tell the whole story and also it won't be the best fit for some, and some just won't like it. Thats golf.

Of course they are. Its good conversation.
With that said, if you picked up two drivers, let's say TaylorMade M3 and Titleist TS2 and said one was 30 yards longer than the other, you would be told you are ridiculous on this forum by a number of people. Right or wrong. 30 yards difference by two modern drivers is in all but the most extreme cases, a mis-hit.

Back