Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

Guys, lets not go down the road this is on the brink of going down. Please.

I agree my bad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will call BS on TS3 being 30 yards longer that’s laughable.
I have not seen the reviews you speak of, imagine that

There are plenty of comments on both sides on WRX in a few threads. You can cal bs so you want but it’s one persons opinion based on their testing and everyone is entitled to their thoughts. Doesn’t majesuther side right or wrong.

Honest question Eric, you stated you are never going to hit this driver, since that’s the case why are you spending so much time searching for bad info on it?

While I may not hit this it doesn’t mean I can’t be interested in the talk, reviews or feedback on this or any other products. It is a golf equipment and I’m interested in talking golf/golf equipment. There’s lots of threads I’ve read or commented in over the years for stuff I didn’t hit. There’s been reviews on equipment that initially didn’t have my interest that I ended up going to hit and actually bought.

On to something more positive as soon as ship sticks drops my clubs I will be on the range. Going to be fun swinging the cortex. I also have a buddy coming to range who hammers the tee ball and going to have him hit it as well and then daddio who is a little slower swinger than me is going to hit it Friday so we will get a good variety of swing speeds on this

Of course they are. Its good conversation.
With that said, if you picked up two drivers, let's say TaylorMade M3 and Titleist TS2 and said one was 30 yards longer than the other, you would be told you are ridiculous on this forum by a number of people. Right or wrong. 30 yards difference by two modern drivers is in all but the most extreme cases, a mis-hit.

Not speaking on that comment specifically, more the road this one is on the brink of heading down.

I totally agree the 30 yard claim is hilarious, just like when I see someone gaining 30 yards because they would have had to have been playing the worst fit ever. I just don't want this to end up derailing what has been a really fun thread.

Of course they are. Its good conversation.
With that said, if you picked up two drivers, let's say TaylorMade M3 and Titleist TS2 and said one was 30 yards longer than the other, you would be told you are ridiculous on this forum by a number of people. Right or wrong. 30 yards difference by two modern drivers is in all but the most extreme cases, a mis-hit.

this isn't specifically about cortex, so if it needs to be moved somewhere else i understand. but how about our round at fox hollow? you saw me hit one or two good-ish drives with my gamer, then you gave me another driver to hit and i hit it 20-30 yards farther. we're not comparing a bad swing to a good swing there; that was two pretty similar swings but with two different heads at two different lofts with two different shafts, and two VERY different results. i know you leave room above for "the most extreme cases," and i wouldn't say i fit into those extreme cases. i guess my point is i'm guilty of saying "this driver is 30 yards longer than my gamer" because i recently experienced it.

this isn't specifically about cortex, so if it needs to be moved somewhere else i understand. but how about our round at fox hollow? you saw me hit one or two good-ish drives with my gamer, then you gave me another driver to hit and i hit it 20-30 yards farther. we're not comparing a bad swing to a good swing there; that was two pretty similar swings but with two different heads at two different lofts with two different shafts, and two VERY different results. i know you leave room above for "the most extreme cases," and i wouldn't say i fit into those extreme cases. i guess my point is i'm guilty of saying "this driver is 30 yards longer than my gamer" because i recently experienced it.

You were not hitting your gamer driver in the center though (as pointed out). You picked the other one up and absolutely grooved it and as a brand new driver the mark was right there in the center. I believe there are gains. Data on both GCQuad and things like Arccos say so. 30 yards with two new drivers is extreme.

And yes, if myself or any of our writers posted that, we would be called bias, etc.

The good news in all of this, there are choices for everybody. To think a Wilson Club has this much conversation in multiple threads means clearly buzz exists.

Not speaking on that comment specifically, more the road this one is on the brink of heading down.

I totally agree the 30 yard claim is hilarious, just like when I see someone gaining 30 yards because they would have had to have been playing the worst fit ever. I just don't want this to end up derailing what has been a really fun thread.

I would agree. Like most product reviews, I want to read about performance of the product. Not necessarily if it's overpriced, etc. I look for more posts like Kevin's with actual data and then their opinions. Just so I can make an informed decision.

Love getting the feedback from guys that have actually swung it rather than the opinions of people making assumptions based on past products.

I also saw on twitter that another golf website was going to do a trackman test comparing the Cortex to the G400 LST. I LOVE my G400 LST, so the results will have my attention too.

to be fair, if we only allowed people who had experience with product to post in threads it would get really lonely in the threads. Past experience with product plays heavily with how golfers choose which products they want to play and I'm glad it's addressed in the thread because W/S knows they have an uphill battle to gain spots in bags and it appears they might have a product now that can open the door and minds of more golfers.

Based on last years unfortunate situation with the USGA I am glad they can enjoy pulling off DvD the right way. I agree that Cortex will not be for everyone but it will move the needle upwards for a good bunch of people. Any idea if GC will do anything to compensate Wilson for declaring the winner too early. If so another win with some free advertising. I know its not the right place but I would like to know when the rest of Wilson's launches will be announced. I know about the Duo Pro but irons, bags, etc. If they do a fairway and hybrid in the Cortex series would the winner be compensated.

I would agree. Like most product reviews, I want to read about performance of the product. Not necessarily if it's overpriced, etc. I look for more posts like Kevin's with actual data and then their opinions. Just so I can make an informed decision.

I will post results against my M3 once my clubs get home.

On to something more positive as soon as ship sticks drops my clubs I will be on the range. Going to be fun swinging the cortex. I also have a buddy coming to range who hammers the tee ball and going to have him hit it as well and then daddio who is a little slower swinger than me is going to hit it Friday so we will get a good variety of swing speeds on this

Looking forward to getting more opinions on their perception of ball flight, distance, sound, compared to their current driver. Do you think shaft stiffness might come into play with the different swing speeds?

Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

Looking forward to getting more opinions on their perception of ball flight, distance, sound, compared to their current driver. Do you think shaft stiffness might come into play with the different swing speeds?

It could play a small role

Last edited:

shaft ridgity or strength as well as golfer tempo,approach to impact play a big part how a club performs. Looking forward to see how this plays out for Thpers that already have Cortex.

I am so Jealous of people who can get their hands on this. The only way I'll get to swing one is to drive to Albuquerque (200 miles). I am a big wilson staff fan. I have the Triton in the bag now and play wilson staff irons too. I really like what I've seen from the show and all the reviews so far. The price for me is too much but that's not because I thinks its priced wrong its because I don't have $500 for any driver right now. I am glad that the Cortex is seeming to hold it's own. Please keep the reviews coming so I can live vicariously through all you lucky people who are getting to test this thing.

Based on last years unfortunate situation with the USGA I am glad they can enjoy pulling off DvD the right way. I agree that Cortex will not be for everyone but it will move the needle upwards for a good bunch of people. Any idea if GC will do anything to compensate Wilson for declaring the winner too early. If so another win with some free advertising. I know its not the right place but I would like to know when the rest of Wilson's launches will be announced. I know about the Duo Pro but irons, bags, etc. If they do a fairway and hybrid in the Cortex series would the winner be compensated.
FWIW, while we were discussing the V6 irons over the weekend I was told that the new Wilson irons will come out in January; I heard no other details.

FWIW, while we were discussing the V6 irons over the weekend I was told that the new Wilson irons will come out in January; I heard no other details.

D7 launch. There have been leaks out there already and a tour player already has the FW Wood in his bag.

D7 launch. There have been leaks out there already and a tour player already has the FW Wood in his bag.

Who has the FW in the bag? I read it somewhere but forgot.

This whole thread screams of buzz buzz buzz. Any press is... well its press.

Are there any rumors of any Tour players putting the Cortex in the bag???

Just waiting for the next addition....

025b58e24e754d5c2cda0d2347256eea.jpg

I have those guys as well. Might as well keep doing what you're doing :alien:

If their irons cycle holds true to form, the D300s and V6 are due for refresh, since the C200s and F5s were updated with the two C300 models this past cycle. Perhaps a new blade is in the works as well?

This whole thread screams of buzz buzz buzz. Any press is... well its press.

The TV show has worked thus far... it won't change opinions overnight but W/S is being talked about a lot more.

The box containing my Cortex was tucked inside the wall to the Duffer compound last night when I returned home from work. :D

Unfortunately, the smoke from the wildfire north of me has blanketed the valley. From my office at work to I-5 is just over a mile and at times I can't see it. Therefore, I'm not surprised when they claim being outside is the same as smoking a pack of cigarettes per day. :skeleton: We're supposed to receive some rain next week so hopefully the air will be clear enough that I can at least go to the range.

I’d love to see the buzz around this driver continue and hope it is a big hit for Wilson. Having played only 6 sets of irons since 1980 with 2 of those being Wilson Staffs, I’m a huge fan. I even bought a set of the FG Tour 100 irons just because they were pretty and look good in the man cave. They’ve haven’t made a driver in decades that passed the eye test for me but from what I see in pictures here, the Cortex will.

I wonder if they can maintain the interest into the spring as a big chunk of golfer live in northern states and have put golf on the back burner until March or April. I likely won’t have a chance to hit it until April. I don’t even know a retailer in the Minneapolis market that carries Wilson but I will find one. They good news is by then the Cortex should be easy to find at a discount.
And to think you moved from year around golf to that.:act-up:

In regards to the bolded:

1) There is a large migration of "snowbirds" to warmer areas (Palm Springs, Florida etc) so their golf season isn't impacted.
1a) The same population has disposable income and they are of the age that know W/S golf pedigree.

2. Callaway just released irons and hybrids. They don't seem concerned about winter hitting most of the U.S. Yes, I agree that Callaway is in a different position. However, I can't believe that they would "waste" a new line launch if the season was a factor.

Back