Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

I had the Cortex on the launch monitor indoors again today and the Atmos Blue shaft is not a good fit. Ball speed off the face matches my Rogue SZ but my spin is too high(2900 with the sliding weight all the way forward) resulting in almost no roll. I have an Aldila Rogue Silver 125 msi coming in a few days and I'm sure that will fit me better and bring the spin down to the 2300-2400 range that I prefer. Let's hope it's the perfect match!

Last edited:
I've only had the opportunity to go to the range twice since Staff Proto. Neither time has been particularly fruitful, for different reasons, as outlined below. I'm posting this because I don't want to be a "ghost" so other than the 2 disclaimers, please feel free to skip the rest of this post.

Disclaimer: Posting these now so I don't clutter up future comments.

1) For those that are not aware, I’m going through some swing changes. I’ve been an “arm swinger” since I started playing in the early 90’s. Prior to Staff Proto I took some lessons from an instructor that managed to get through my thick melon. When I follow his advice I do well. When I revert to old habits while in the middle of my “new” swing it’s very ugly.

2) Unless otherwise noted, launch angles and distances are based on observation and not on technology.

What I will say about my first range session is that it was in the mid-sixties out (not bad for Thanksgiving weekend) and I probably should have been wearing sunscreen. Regarding the Cortex I can say with certainty that the finish on the leading edge of the driver is extremely durable. :embarrassed:

My second range session with the Cortex was last Sunday morning. It was cold (42° is cold here) and foggy. I brought my BB Alpha 815 10.5° (core down) with the Project X “LZ” shaft as a “control”. My Cortex is 10.5° (weight all the way to the rear) with the ATMOS Red shaft.

Unfortunately, the fog didn’t clear out enough in the limited time that I had to make any distance comparisons. Launch appeared to be somewhat higher with the BB Alpha on similar impacts which is probably attributable to the LZ shaft.

Weather permitting I'm teeing off on the back 9 as soon as it's light Saturday morning. It's a course that I play regularly and by going out on the back 9 I usually have the opportunity to practice without anyone behind me. I will bring my Cobra F7 w/ARCCOS along to measure relative distances.

I asked Santa for one for Christmas, which probably means I'll be in the market for one of these this spring.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I asked Santa for one for Christmas, which probably means I'll be in the market for one of these this spring.

Lump of coal again this year?

BTW, it's good to have you back CJ.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Why not order one now?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats he going to do with it? Use it to chase bats?

Swing in the garage ?

And I will never live down the bat episode

So have you sold your m3 yet?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sposey how'd it go today? Is the m3 for sale yet? I can't try mine yet, hopefully no more rain/snow next week, crazy snowing in NC smh

Solid write up by Dean for sure. His thoughts tie in with a lot of others, this is a club that has earned a chance to compete for a spot in anyone’s bag. Looks are really good on this head, and should get some attention. I think it’s going to do well for W/S.

Enjoyed reading that Dean. Cool shoutout to the THP event as well. Is it safe to say that the Cortex gave you favorable numbers except for that little bit extra left spin? If you were to tinker further with it, would you consider removing that 2g heel weight and seeing if it helps a tiny bit?

Excellent review Dean!

You stated that the test shaft here was the Aldila Rogue Silver 125, which of the stock shafts would the test shaft match up with?

Also, there has been some discussion of head weight in the thread, did you notice the head to be heavy or light noticeably?

Good write up! I noticed that he might have mixed the shafts up in saying the the Red is mid launch and the blue as high launch. I’m pretty sure the blue is mid and red is high, not a big deal though.
Did he mention which shaft he was using? If it was the blue maybe the red would have helped with trajectory.

Enjoyed reading that Dean. Cool shoutout to the THP event as well. Is it safe to say that the Cortex gave you favorable numbers except for that little bit extra left spin? If you were to tinker further with it, would you consider removing that 2g heel weight and seeing if it helps a tiny bit?

Currently driving to NYC but will answer what I can quickly. Im a right to left player, and shot shape was actually ok for me. I tend to draw or pull draw, so I end up taking aim down right side more often than not. That number is one I tend to ignore because the eyeball test is more important to me. Would I consider it? I don't know, I did play the f7+ for a round with no weights in the sole so anything is possible.

Impressive review for an average golfer. The Cortex is on my hit list for2019

Sposey how'd it go today? Is the m3 for sale yet? I can't try mine yet, hopefully no more rain/snow next week, crazy snowing in NC smh

The M3 is going up for sale for sure. The cortex out performs it for me by a good distance.
I have better ball speed and much better dispersion with the cortex!!!

The M3 is going up for sale for sure. The cortex out performs it for me by a good distance.
I have better ball speed and much better dispersion with the cortex!!!

This is a big statement my man. How is the sound and launch? Forgive me what is your setup?

This is a big statement my man. How is the sound and launch? Forgive me what is your setup?

Atmos blue. 10.5 set to standard. Sliding weight back. 8 gram in heel and 2 gram in toe. Launch is averaging around 13. Ball speed is 148 to 149 club speed is 97. Spin is between 2200 and 2300.
All really good numbers for me

Atmos blue. 10.5 set to standard. Sliding weight back. 8 gram in heel and 2 gram in toe. Launch is averaging around 13. Ball speed is 148 to 149 club speed is 97. Spin is between 2200 and 2300.
All really good numbers for me

Solid ball speed for that swing speed, great launch as well. I’m going to have to give this a go. Thanks for the info brother

Solid ball speed for that swing speed, great launch as well. I’m going to have to give this a go. Thanks for the info brother

Look forward to seeing how it goes when you It, hope you have been good my brother

UPS deliverd my Aldila Rogue Silver 125MSI shaft for the Cortex yesterday. I will get it on the launch monitor at the club today and report back. The Atmos Blue is spinning too much for me but I know this new shaft works well as I have gaming it in my Epic SZ for over a year.

Excellent review Dean!

You stated that the test shaft here was the Aldila Rogue Silver 125, which of the stock shafts would the test shaft match up with?

Also, there has been some discussion of head weight in the thread, did you notice the head to be heavy or light noticeably?

It swingweighted on the heavy side but was comfortable for me.

Back