Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

See my other posts but basically price is going to drive consumers away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why? The new Callaway will be 549 I bet

Late catching up on the show,but it was recorded. It was really cool seeing how Wilson had that consolation prize tucked. All in all, fantastic feedback on the Cortex! Looking forward to all of the reviews!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I’m guessing the TS blue was really popular this past weekend, yeah? Anyone prefer the black?

Ehh, I kept it real with the TS Red lol. The feel was amazing and fit me great

Here are a few in hand pictures of the Cortex from last weekend:

e9e8412a060103f5fa0023b910072540.jpg

aa72b809a12105051afbd7a251397a61.jpg

7778d593831a182ca909840abe70c38e.jpg

6dc6ebdf6178cc7a42712e8473180cbf.jpg

shape looks good from what I can tell from your pics.

Everyone is putting $300 shafts in their drivers. It’s a brand that doesn’t sell well or have a large retail presence or tour influence. As you mentioned they aren’t going to drop a ton of cash on marketing yet it’s coming with the same price tag that other companies with larger marketing budgets are charging.

I get it that you just came from the event and are getting one has some influence in your disagreement with me but a driver that is new on the market and produces similar numbers as my two year old driver and uses similar technology to what’s on the market doesn’t interest me.

When did you hit the cortex to know it get similar numbers to your 2 year old driver.

See my other posts but basically price is going to drive consumers away.

Wilson has a great new driver in the market and DvD2 did nothing but build excitement for Cortex. I think they did a fantastic job of creating a buzz. If folks hit it and like it they will buy it and put it under the tree for themselves.

Why? The new Callaway will be 549 I bet

From what I heard Callaway won’t be that high but will be over $500 but they are a leader in sales and even at that price will hold their customer base. I don’t recall seeing what the f9 will cost but I’m willing to bet cobra comes in at the $399 mark which with good tech, tour presence and winners, plus real deal shafts is the right price point. TM will be same price as is titleist.

Imo when you are trying to draw in new customers you have to price right. W/S is in a tough spot. Come in to low then you live up to the cheap perception. Come in too high and you scare off new customers especially when accessibility to your gear is low. $399 would have been the better price option imo. They are doing basically what TM has done with sliding track and cobra has done with removable weights.

I’m guessing the TS blue was really popular this past weekend, yeah? Anyone prefer the black?

Only one guy had the black and imo it was to much shaft for any of us who were there.

When did you hit the cortex to know it get similar numbers to your 2 year old driver.

I didn’t, don’t plan to and in the last 3+ years my numbers have all been roughly the same with all drivers. Then add in the pic golf unfiltered posted that shows numbers being the same against recent drivers.

Mid west, northeast and mid Atlantic all going into the off season and by time golf/demo day season comes around this won’t be on people’s minds, lack of retail presence won’t help and while many will say tour play doesn’t influence purchases only having a few guys on tour playing it and none of those guys being household names or consistent winners won’t help.

Titleist new line out, TM, Ping and Callaway soon to be will overshadow this

I’m thinking along these same lines. A bulk of the golfing public is about to go dormant and when they get back to playing, other OEMs will have new offerings along within those that are currently out. Golfers will flock to what they’re used to before venturing to other OEM’s.

The Cortex design seems to check all the boxes in terms of modern adjustability, but I go back to other discussions where most golfers aren’t being fit, they tend to stay with the brand they like or are familiar with, price matters more than we think. THPers and the like are a small hard core percentage that will tinker and get numbers to compare. .

I hope this does well because options are good, but given how little I see Wilson promoted locally in stores, I’ll be curious to see how the numbers shake out.

From what I heard Callaway won’t be that high but will be over $500 but they are a leader in sales and even at that price will hold their customer base. I don’t recall seeing what the f9 will cost but I’m willing to bet cobra comes in at the $399 mark which with good tech, tour presence and winners, plus real deal shafts is the right price point. TM will be same price as is titleist.

Imo when you are trying to draw in new customers you have to price right. W/S is in a tough spot. Come in to low then you live up to the cheap perception. Come in too high and you scare off new customers especially when accessibility to your gear is low. $399 would have been the better price option imo. They are doing basically what TM has done with sliding track and cobra has done with removable weights.

IMO you are way off base but I am not going to argue with you, I knew you would coming in with that kind of post
I would rather keep the talk about performance as price is very dependent on individuals

When did you hit the cortex to know it get similar numbers to your 2 year old

That just spent a ton of cash producing not just a commercial but a television show for several weeks. And your right it is only a disagreement. But I think they deserve major credit for stepping way out of the box in how they promote the brand and the driver.

I get it that you just came from the event and are getting one has some influence in your disagreement with me but a driver that is new on the market and produces similar numbers as my two year old driver and uses similar technology to what’s on the market doesn’t interest me.

I don't think that's fair. If there's one guy on this board who offers unbiased and unbought opinions on golf gear it's Shane.

Secondly, I don't think very much in the golf equipment world would get you excited based on that criteria. Which is fair enough if you apply it consistently.

IMO you are way off base but I am not going to argue with you, I knew you would coming in with that kind of post
I would rather keep the talk about performance as price is very dependent on individuals

My bad having an opinion that doesn’t fit the narrative of the site means “coming in with a post like that”, I’ll keep the nonsense response out of it to prevent the unnecessary ban hammer.

Performance is one piece of it. People have to have a place to hit it and unfortunately for w/s they don’t have the retail space or visibility that other brands have and they lack tour presence. Outside of Internet forum bags I have never seen a w/s club in a bag anywhere and they make some good irons.

Price is going to play a role. While they have real deal shafts as does every other brand when you buy in bulk as these companies do the cost to buy goes down, so while it’s a $300 shaft when bought individually it’s not when ordered.

Unfortunately golf season is over for a large part of the country and the avg Joe golfer as well as many on here aren’t dropping $500 on a driver they won’t get much use out of over the next 3-5 months. So now you bring in the normal release cycles and availability and the buzz around dvd2 and this driver is gone.

I hope this does well because options are good, but given how little I see Wilson promoted locally in stores, I’ll be curious to see how the numbers shake out.

this was a comment/question that came across during the event that Tim Clarke addressed. they're working towards building that presence and hopefully the Cortex can be that building block. imo it's a great start

I don't think that's fair. If there's one guy on this board who offers unbiased and unbought opinions on golf gear it's Shane.

Secondly, I don't think very much in the golf equipment world would get you excited based on that criteria. Which is fair enough if you apply it consistently.

It is applied consistently it’s why the ts driver isn’t in my bag or the 818 hybrid or the m3 driver and fw. I stopped the chase for the magical distance because it wasn’t there. My bag is setup based on what works and getting something shiny and new that gives me the same performance as my current stuff doesn’t make the bag.

My bad having an opinion that doesn’t fit the narrative of the site means “coming in with a post like that”, I’ll keep the nonsense response out of it to prevent the unnecessary ban hammer.

Performance is one piece of it. People have to have a place to hit it and unfortunately for w/s they don’t have the retail space or visibility that other brands have and they lack tour presence. Outside of Internet forum bags I have never seen a w/s club in a bag anywhere and they make some good irons.

Price is going to play a role. While they have real deal shafts as does every other brand when you buy in bulk as these companies do the cost to buy goes down, so while it’s a $300 shaft when bought individually it’s not when ordered.

Unfortunately golf season is over for a large part of the country and the avg Joe golfer as well as many on here aren’t dropping $500 on a driver they won’t get much use out of over the next 3-5 months. So now you bring in the normal release cycles and availability and the buzz around dvd2 and this driver is gone.

If you think I have ever followed any so called “narrative” then I don’t know what to say. And their is no “narrative” with W/S. Tim Clark was very adamant about wanting honest reviews!!!!

It’s not my decision but for me I would rather keep the thread about performance

It is applied consistently it’s why the ts driver isn’t in my bag or the 818 hybrid or the m3 driver and fw. I stopped the chase for the magical distance because it wasn’t there. My bag is setup based on what works and getting something shiny and new that gives me the same performance as my current stuff doesn’t make the bag.

I'm the same way, with the exception that I still get excited about most releases and itch to give them a few swings.

Hit the driver tonight and it feels amazing! Extremely solid sound and feel, nice and muted. I could easily put the Cortex in my bag tomorrow.

I will have mine on the range and the course Friday. Going to be chilly but warm enough to get out. Pretty excited to get it out

Awesome to hear the great feedback. I had no favorite in the race but sentiment was pulling me toward rooting for the "kid's" Rozwell.

Major kudos to Tim Clarke and Wilson for the tremendous gesture of appreciation and support for such an impressive young talent.

And huge congrats to the Cortex... great looking driver, nothing not to love about it.

Last edited:
Pga superstore just emailed me I can order it now for 499.99 but there is no shaft options between the red blue or black, 10-14 days to your door

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I'm excited for my driver to arrive tomorrow. Unfortunately, with all of the smoke from the "Camp Fire" north of me I don't know when I'll get a chance to get out. Slight chance of rain next week so fingers crossed.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I watched every episode of DvD1 and, like most, I was a little underwhelmed with the winner. I hit one at a WS demo day at the local Golf Mart last year and it was OK, but didn't do it for me. When I heard there was a DvD2 I was like, eh, whatever, it comes on the same time as 90 Day Fiancé so I'm out. Well, I just watched the DvD2 finale and now I'm intrigued.

The Cortex looks like a cross between a Cobra ZL Encore and a 2016 M1. Not a knock, just an observation.
Definitely going to seek one out ASAP and see what's up.

Too bad all the naysayers will poo-poo on this thing without ever laying a hand on it, but that's their own problem.
Some of the cons being pointed out are valid, ie. releasing it at the end of the season (I live in San Diego, so I don't know what that's like), and lack of presence at retail shops, however, if this thing performs it will catch on. All it takes is one guy at the course to bag it and it will suddenly become valid. If it takes the top spots in one of the many "best of" lists it will become valid. One tour win and it will sell like hot cakes. Remember a few years ago when Brandt Snedeker won with a 5 year old Burner Superfast valued at like $30? There was an immediate run on the bargain barrels across the country with folks looking for those drivers.
Other cons I've heard, like no tour presence, will bear out if the WS pros don't bag the Cortex this year. But for those saying the WS staffers are no-names with no wins need to do some homework. Plenty of wins between the current staffers, and then there's Padraig. Cobra has literally one guy, and they sell like crazy.
For those comparing this show to an infomercial, I kinda see that, but its nothing like the Squarestrike or GX-7 or Teeless driver nonsense. This show is an in-depth look at the R&D process that all major mfgrs go through, they just do it behind closed doors and keep it all hush-hush until release. This show still produces a high-end, quality product capable of holding it's own with any major driver on the market. Whether it beats your current gamer or anything else you try is irrelevant to how it was produced and marketed.

All that being said, I'm not going to dismiss the Cortex based on any of these things. I will hit it, and let the performance make the decision to buy or not.
I currently game a G400 Max so it had better be good, but it very well may knock it out of the bag.

Like I said yesterday, anyone who says this is just running their lip.
Premium shaft (not a made for) and tons of tech.

I think $449 would be more palatable for some. although by the time a $449 driver with the same atmos shafts and the best value-add in the business imo (free stat tracking) is released to the public, perhaps the cortex will have the requisite discounts available

Back