Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

Would Wilson be wise to also offer FW’s based around the Cortex design?

IMO the Driver and FW market is where Wilson has struggled to gain traction.

I think Wilson did a very good job with the DVD show, but I also think their commercials were very well done and may help them with visibility in the market.
What if, what if they branched out those commercials on other networks (espn, fSd, college sports networks) channels that sports fans (and potentially golfers) watch.
I think that and being sold in nationwide retailer like Dicks sporting goods would help and Wilson could see some market traction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would Wilson be wise to also offer FW’s based around the Cortex design?

IMO the Driver and FW market is where Wilson has struggled to gain traction.

I think Wilson did a very good job with the DVD show, but I also think their commercials were very well done and may help them with visibility in the market.
What if, what if they branched out those commercials on other networks (espn, fSd, college sports networks) channels that sports fans (and potentially golfers) watch.
I think that and being sold in nationwide retailer like Dicks sporting goods would help and Wilson could see some market traction.

@ddec and I were having this conversation yesterday actually, the fairway wood thing is interesting. With the Triton, I couldn't see it, with the Cortex I really could.

My bad having an opinion that doesn’t fit the narrative of the site means “coming in with a post like that”, I’ll keep the nonsense response out of it to prevent the unnecessary ban hammer.

Ban Hammer. I gotta use that - you win the Internet today.

Cortex and Rozwell were both recently listed on the USGA conforming list.

Wrong thread, but makes me wonder if Rozwell will make a bid for one of the tour player bags. Now that would be fun!

A semi interesting note here. Both winners of DVD have had a carbon fiber component. Cortex is loaded with it and Triton had the CF sole plate. Honestly I wish Triton looked as polished as this does because I thought the removable plate tech was pretty damn innovative.

From @golfunfiltered Instagram
2be0d97b91f42208576433939494e24e.jpg

I wonder if those that test the Cortex to one of the Drivers listed on the Robot testing will switch out.

I’ll take the one with the highest ball speed

I’ll wait to try or buy this driver when the price inevitably goes way down. I like it because it reminds me a lot of TaylorMade. I probably wouldn’t have tried the Rozwell. I do wish the shaft options were different. All of the OEMs seem to have the same “boring” offerings nowadays. Anyways just my ramblings, hope this does well for Wilson.

I’ll wait to try or buy this driver when the price inevitably goes way down. I like it because it reminds me a lot of TaylorMade. I probably wouldn’t have tried the Rozwell. I do wish the shaft options were different. All of the OEMs seem to have the same “boring” offerings nowadays. Anyways just my ramblings, hope this does well for Wilson.

I know a guy around here who loved the M4 during review time haha

A semi interesting note here. Both winners of DVD have had a carbon fiber component. Cortex is loaded with it and Triton had the CF sole plate. Honestly I wish Triton looked as polished as this does because I thought the removable plate tech was pretty damn innovative.
My recollection is the Titleist offerings don’t have it. How’d they price their drivers? I know which one I’d look at first if I were in the market for a driver.

I’m not sure why, but New Level and even Srixon come across as more “boutique” brands while W/S comes across as a big box brand. But I don’t think W/S could scale back and compete as a boutique due to their history.

I also can’t help but think their reputation in other sports equipment as “cheap” bleeds over to the W/S products. It makes me wonder if they could do better in sales by reinventing themselves by dropping the Wilson name.

Not sure if anyone has responded back to you, butttttt

wilson equipment in other sports is not considered cheap.... quite the opposite. The NFL uses their footballs, Tennis (US at least) uses their ball, their Racquets are some of the best quality in the sport. Baseball? Their glove could be considered the most bought/used in the game.

I'd say their cheap reputation is tied to box sets sold at Walmart type places and people not knowing the difference between Wilson and Wilson Staff.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'd say their cheap reputation is tied to box sets sold at Walmart type places and people not knowing the difference between Wilson and Wilson Staff.

So explain why you can go to Walmart.com right now and find Callaway box sets and it’s ok. And there is no name confusion. It’s just Callaway.

I think for me, what is most getting lost here is that W/S fiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnnnnaaaaaaalllllyyyyy has a REALLY good looking design. Say what you will about tracks, weights, and carbon being "done before" (you better say it about ALL drivers then, though) but this is a complete looking club. It has visual appeal and tech, it has a story, and its not clunky. Well done W/S, that IMO is a victory in and of itself.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Tim Clarke spoke to this point last weekend, and made it clear that their mission is to continue to minimize their presence in box stores and reposition the brand as a premium golf company. Tim said that when he took over in 2007 if Walmart would have kicked Wilson out of their stores it would have been the end of Wilson golf. Today they would they not only survive, but would continue to be successful.
I was glad that that Wilson priced the Cortex at $499 because to so many people, image is reality. If they priced their equipment at a discount, they would continue to be perceived as inferior. The Cortex is every bit as premium as anything on the market. People spend 1,000’s of dollars on putters that do absolutely nothing for their game, but have the impression that theirs is the best, because they paid more for it. Don’t get me started on PXG...
Does Wilson expect the Cortex to outsell the Callaway, Taylormade & Ping drivers this year? No. But if they can gain a few percentage points of market share and continue to shift their brand image, it was a success.
In the mean time, if the Cortex outperforms my Epic, there is no way in hell that I’m going to not Game it because of the brand name, or the price tag (high or low). But that’s just me.

From @golfunfiltered Instagram
2be0d97b91f42208576433939494e24e.jpg

I wonder if those that test the Cortex to one of the Drivers listed on the Robot testing will switch out.
Some great numbers, would make me want to give it a shot for sure.

I’m not sure why, but New Level and even Srixon come across as more “boutique” brands while W/S comes across as a big box brand. But I don’t think W/S could scale back and compete as a boutique due to their history.

I also can’t help but think their reputation in other sports equipment as “cheap” bleeds over to the W/S products. It makes me wonder if they could do better in sales by reinventing themselves by dropping the Wilson name.

I was on the Wilson Sporting Goods site yesterday just looking at product outside of golf.. I found under the baseball and I think football area a weekender bag make from the same Leather they use to make the NFL game ball and the NCAA championship basketball. It sells for $349.00. They are also the official baseball for the College World Series..Their DeMarini softball bats and Louisville Slugger brands are iconic in their sports. Federer, Serena both play their tennis rackets. What’s cheap about any of that.

Last edited:

I’m with you on this. Ball speed is the major factor I look at when purchase besides cosmetics. The focus from Wilson and the judges on the show with total distance, to me, was an attempt to cover up that they knew they couldn’t beat what was currently out there.

Also, also....

For you all that hit it, how was launch? Trying to decide if I should loft up or not. Bday is in a month and I might just ask the Doc for this.

I am guessing as I did not have a monitor but launch I would say was around 12 to 13 for me. Zero balloons and zero knuckleballs. Nice apex and then gradually down. I had mine set at 10
For what it’s worth.

I’m with you on this. Ball speed is the major factor I look at when purchase besides cosmetics. The focus from Wilson and the judges on the show with total distance, to me, was an attempt to cover up that they knew they couldn’t beat what was currently out there.

Really think it was a "coverup"? Total distance was focused on because that is what sells for the majority of consumers out there. The ones who go to stores and buy new shiny off the racks most times don't know, or care, about launch, spin, etc, its just distance. That is why the SLDR sold so well despite being one of the most penal drivers, maybe ever, it was long AF on total distance with the run out people got at such low spin.

I think the infographic and comparisons pictured in here from GU's insta is a pretty cool move by W/S, they're not hiding anything # to # versus other heads. So often we have heard their drivers don't stand toe to toe with the "big" dogs, well they are showing now that they DO with this release. Pretty cool IMO.

Like I said yesterday, anyone who says this is just running their lip.
Premium shaft (not a made for) and tons of tech.

And yet none of that erases the perception people have of the brand. People who have tried the brand before won’t be as willing to spend more money on what they perceive to be under performing equipment as if they could spend the same amount on another OEM with the proven performance track record. We can say it doesn’t matter but in realty it does, a lot.

Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

No cover up at all.
Ball speed of 1 mph lower but with correct LA and spin will go farther. It’s just science bud

And yet none of that erases the perception people have of the brand. People who have tried the brand before won’t be as willing to spend more money on what they perceive to be under performing equipment as if they could spend the same amount on another OEM with the proven performance track record. We can say it doesn’t matter but in realty it does, a lot.

People not willing to try WS because of “reputation” is no different than someone only trying Callaway.

Thanks for bringing that up, ddec. There were certainly some issues with the Triton, but the manner in which the CF and Titanium soles were incorporated in the design and adjustability is still something other companies are not doing/trying (yes, I acknowledge it creates some other supply costing considerations/headaches for companies as well, so that may be a reason). It might not have “worked” overall, but I appreciate the innovation that illustrated.

Really think it was a "coverup"? Total distance was focused on because that is what sells for the majority of consumers out there. The ones who go to stores and buy new shiny off the racks most times don't know, or care, about launch, spin, etc, its just distance. That is why the SLDR sold so well despite being one of the most penal drivers, maybe ever, it was long AF on total distance with the run out people got at such low spin.

I think the infographic and comparisons pictured in here from GU's insta is a pretty cool move by W/S, they're not hiding anything # to # versus other heads. So often we have heard their drivers don't stand toe to toe with the "big" dogs, well they are showing now that they DO with this release. Pretty cool IMO.

I’ll put this out there first - I like the look of the new driver. A lot actually. Having said that, being a trackman all star driver doesn’t guarantee success for the average Joe golfer. Using the infographic Adam posted, Wilson is still lacking compared to current model drivers (2 of which are going to be replaced for newer models). It placed 5th in ball speed and club head speed in its own head to head testing. That’s not a club that should be equally priced out the gate. Maybe a follow up continuing on the current model could be higher price but to get the attention and in consumers bag, that’s a big hurdle.

I’ll put this out there first - I like the look of the new driver. A lot actually. Having said that, being a trackman all star driver doesn’t guarantee success for the average Joe golfer. Using the infographic Adam posted, Wilson is still lacking compared to current model drivers (2 of which are going to be replaced for newer models). It placed 5th in ball speed and club head speed in its own head to head testing. That’s not a club that should be equally priced out the gate. Maybe a follow up continuing on the current model could be higher price but to get the attention and in consumers bag, that’s a big hurdle.

I will put my M3 and the cortex on my monitor as soon as it is a half decent day. (I really like the M3 btw) and I will be willing to bet I get better ball speed and carry with the cortex because I hit on the toe side a lot than a robot. I want a toe forgiving driver and that is why I love this driver already.

And anyone who knows me, knows that I am not one brand specific and I don’t post positive things because I got something for free. I always give my honest opinion on anything I buy or receive

Back