Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

I’ll put this out there first - I like the look of the new driver. A lot actually. Having said that, being a trackman all star driver doesn’t guarantee success for the average Joe golfer. Using the infographic Adam posted, Wilson is still lacking compared to current model drivers (2 of which are going to be replaced for newer models). It placed 5th in ball speed and club head speed in its own head to head testing. That’s not a club that should be equally priced out the gate. Maybe a follow up continuing on the current model could be higher price but to get the attention and in consumers bag, that’s a big hurdle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Club head speed will be different based on who is swinging it. Ball speed vs club head speed is what to look for. Just looking at ball speed when club head speed is faster means very little. To use this as an example, You and Canadan swing at different speeds. If he has a higher ball speed with Cortex than you do with Rogue, would that make the Cortex a better driver? Of course not. Because his swing speed is faster.

Ball speed is the key element, when combined with the rest.
Using this graphic was nothing more to show more carry (which was missed in the post made against it) and more total distance, because that is what happens at a launch party (by most companies).
Using proper calculations it beat many on that list (speed/speed) and was lower spin.

I’ll put this out there first - I like the look of the new driver. A lot actually. Having said that, being a trackman all star driver doesn’t guarantee success for the average Joe golfer. Using the infographic Adam posted, Wilson is still lacking compared to current model drivers (2 of which are going to be replaced for newer models). It placed 5th in ball speed and club head speed in its own head to head testing. That’s not a club that should be equally priced out the gate. Maybe a follow up continuing on the current model could be higher price but to get the attention and in consumers bag, that’s a big hurdle.

Using the infographic...it was indeed utilized at a lower clubhead speed (which is not design dependent, but user and swing dependent), and if those parameters were equalized for all of the drivers it would have effected the ball speed (increased) to be more on par too, no? As for why it was shown at a lower clubhead speed in their own tests, the interesting thing there is even at that clubhead and ball speed it showed longer CARRY than the others, not just TOTAL distance.

Add in its the lowest spinning in their tests, that should matter according to the obsession we hear so much about low spin by THP'ers (though the average consumer still won't care).

The data can be cherry picked in many ways, but in its totality it absolutely shows that the club can stand up with those other models.

Club head speed will be different based on who is swinging it. Ball speed vs club head speed is what to look for. Just looking at ball speed when club head speed is faster means very little. To use this as an example, You and Canadan swing at different speeds. If he has a higher ball speed with Cortex than you do with Rogue, would that make the Cortex a better driver? Of course not. Because his swing speed is faster.

Using this graphic was nothing more to show more carry (which was missed in the post made against it) and more total distance, because that is what happens at a launch party (by most companies).
Using proper calculations it beat many on that list (speed/speed) and was lower spin.

Using the infographic...it was indeed utilized at a lower clubhead speed (which is not design dependent, but user and swing dependent), and if those parameters were equalized for all of the drivers it would have effected the ball speed (increased) to be more on par too, no? As for why it was shown at a lower clubhead speed in their own tests, the interesting thing there is even at that clubhead and ball speed it showed longer CARRY than the others, not just TOTAL distance.

Add in its the lowest spinning in their tests, that should matter according to the obsession we hear so much about low spin by THP'ers (though the average consumer still won't care).

The data can be cherry picked in many ways, but in its totality it absolutely shows that the club can stand up with those other models.

These are two pretty well thought out responses. I was going to add to that, but I see no need

Really think it was a "coverup"? Total distance was focused on because that is what sells for the majority of consumers out there. The ones who go to stores and buy new shiny off the racks most times don't know, or care, about launch, spin, etc, its just distance. That is why the SLDR sold so well despite being one of the most penal drivers, maybe ever, it was long AF on total distance with the run out people got at such low spin.

Not to mention stores with the old cg2’s with software that inflated clubs with low spin distances. I wasted so much money on clubs believing cg2 monitors to buy the club and it not perform nearly the same cause I couldn’t help the ball in there air.

These are two pretty well thought out responses. I was going to add to that, but I see no need

Aww shucks.

As for Roswell. If it’s on the conforming list is there time limit as to when it has to go into production. And does it have to renew its confirmation if they altered the ZTrack or anything else. Just thought it might be interesting to see if young Tim take the job at W/S and they ultimately bring it too market

you are correct and I should have edited my comments to say "for my club testing and decision making"

i will say, the lower spinning aspect is quite interesting. Do you think that will cause problems from golfers who adhere to the thought process that spin is a distance killer?

I played the Cortex on Sunday and loved it. First, some background-on Saturday we had more than an hour to practice and dial in our drivers for the day. I probably took 30-40 swings with the Roswell, adjusted loft, And moved the weights around a few times trying to optimize ball flight.

On Sunday, I took about 4-5 swings before we headed to the course. We just didn’t have the same time to dial the club in.

That said, I crushed the Cortex. I have a slower swing than many (right about 90), but has getting 230-240 total yards consistently. With my old driver, a Taylormade R15, 230 was rare and 240 had never happened. Honestly, while distance was great, I was probably more happy with ball flight. I was able to hit a nice draw, which is something I’ve been trying to do (unsuccessfully) since I started playing 3 years ago.

There is no question I’ll be playing the driver next year. And because the club comes with a $300 shaft, the $499 price is actually really reasonable.

I know (and so does Wilson) that Wilson Staff doesn’t have the reputation of Ping, Callaway, etc. But here’s the thing. I honestly don’t care about impressing people at the course with the brands I buy. I want to equipment that elevates my game and allows me to play to my highest potential. If a Fisher Price driver put my 230-240 in the middle of 14 fairways a round, I’d buy it.

I think that golfers looking to buy a driver need to get fitted for the Cortex and give it a try. Maybe it’s not for you, but I know it’s going to be a great addition to my bag.

What shaft did you use might I ask? Same speed and distance....TIA

i will say, the lower spinning aspect is quite interesting. Do you think that will cause problems from golfers who adhere to the thought process that spin is a distance killer?

Wouldn't it actually appeal to that group more?

Wouldn't it actually appeal to that group more?

you'd think so but then they'd have to loft up to get launch right and you know they wouldn't play a higher lofted driver.

you'd think so but then they'd have to loft up to get launch right and you know they wouldn't play a higher lofted driver.

Seems to launch well though, based on their testing shown in the image its 3rd (by 0.1) even at the lower spin.

James let’s put all this to the test. As soon as we get a good weather day let’s meet up at a range and get monitor out hit a bunch of drivers

And FWIW @Alez367 I'm not arguing here, just enjoying the conversation.

And FWIW @Alez367 I'm not arguing here, just enjoying the conversation.

oh i didn't take it that way at all. Like i said, I actually like the look of the driver and decided to join the conversation because of that. We're good man.

James let’s put all this to the test. As soon as we get a good weather day let’s meet up at a range and get monitor out hit a bunch of drivers

Are you even allowed to do those tests without British accents? :alien:

Are you even allowed to do those tests without British accents?

Hillbilly accent makes it acceptable.
Come meet me on the range Friday and give mine some swings

Hillbilly accent makes it acceptable.
Come meet me on the range Friday and give mine some swings

Thank you, I'm very excited about this driver. I'll be there.

If we post a thread that says "What makes you buy a driver" the answer is almost unanimously "PERFORMANCE".
If we make mention of tour wins, brand loyalty, even tech stories, lack of tech, price, etc. It gets shunned.

Yet here we are debating whether or not a product matters regardless of the performance that has been well documented the last few days. I find that genuinely fascinating.

As for Roswell. If it’s on the conforming list is there time limit as to when it has to go into production. And does it have to renew its confirmation if they altered the ZTrack or anything else. Just thought it might be interesting to see if young Tim take the job at W/S and they ultimately bring it too market

I think as long as it was the same driver/markings, it would still be conforming. If it ended up being a different design, it would need to be re-tested I believe.

(This is just my impression, I have no inside knowledge on exactly how this works)

If we post a thread that says "What makes you buy a driver" the answer is almost unanimously "PERFORMANCE".
If we make mention of tour wins, brand loyalty, even tech stories, lack of tech, price, etc. It gets shunned.

Yet here we are debating whether or not a product matters regardless of the performance that has been well documented the last few days. I find that genuinely fascinating.

Bottom line it flat out performs!!!!

Any THP’er is welcome to come to my place and hit my cortex, I honestly believe people would be shocked be shocked by the performance.

W/S needs to take $50 of the asking price and offer it as a bonus to the retailer for every driver sold. That would guarantee that the salesmen in stores that have it in stock would push it as much as they push their favorite OEMs.

W/S needs to take $50 of the asking price and offer it as a bonus to the retailer for every driver sold. That would guarantee that the salesmen in stores that have it in stock would push it as much as they push their favorite OEMs.

So they not only lose $50 by reducing the price, they lose another $50 by paying a kickback to the retailer?

I didn't read Shakey's suggestion that way. To me it reads the retailer gets a $50 incentive when selling a W/S Cortex at MSRP. Could promote more sales, unsure if W/S could do it though?

Last edited:
Back