Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

is the shaft you are using tip heavy in design?
Yes it's the Atmos TS Black. I assumed with the head being on the heavy side and paired with this shaft, it would have a heavier swing weight, but D8 is getting up there.

Yes it's the Atmos TS Black. I assumed with the head being on the heavy side and paired with this shaft, it would have a heavier swing weight, but D8 is getting up there.

that seems rather crazy to me. I played a D8 driver last year but this was my setup for it....917 Head, with the 16 gram weight in the head, 70 gram Diamana White cut to 44.5.

that seems rather crazy to me. I played a D8 driver last year but this was my setup for it....917 Head, with the 16 gram weight in the head, 70 gram Diamana White cut to 44.5.

The Cortex heads were very heavy. If I remember correctly they were in the 210 gram range. it was the heaviest head I had seen in recent years.

The Cortex heads were very heavy. If I remember correctly they were in the 210 gram range. it was the heaviest head I had seen in recent years.

I don't remember it being that crazy. I'll weigh mine at lunch with some other heads I have around. I actually took about 4-5 swings with it in the garage last night so I know exactly where it is

I never swing weighted mine when I had it but remember thinking " This feels kinda heavy." I had the TS Black 7x. It felt way heavier than the m5 setup I had last year even with 3 strips of lead tape on it.

Cortex was an awesome driver for the little time I had it. It was my backup driver and used it during the week when I played by myself. Just as good as anything out there

Has anyone tried leaving one of the adjustable weights out? My driver with the Atmos TS Black is coming in at a D8 swing weight. I'm considering moving the 2g to the toe and removing the 8g weight to bring me to D4.
I did last year. Felt and sounded absolutely awful... did it for 1 tee shot and was maybe the worst drive ive had in years so immediately put the weight back in lol

Hey peeps... First of all, I know, my name coming up must be a blast from the past for y'all Just haven't had a lot of focus on golf in the last 6-7 months or so. Hopefully I'll get the chance to post more on here.

Now to golf. I've seen prices really low on these, and I've been really intrigued since hitting one at a store around when then came out. Currently gaming an R15 12* (and by currently I mean as soon as PA golf courses open again...), but also have a Triton 12* that works fairly well for me also. The question I'd have is this. Do you guys gaming the Cortex think it launches higher, lower, or on par with other drivers out there? Reason I ask is I'm between whether I should go 12* again with it, or if coming down to 10.5 would be feasible with a high enough launching shaft/lofting up via the adapter without introducing too much draw bias. I know a lot of it is swing dependent, but looking for general characteristics here. I have a couple shafts here with Wilson adapters, so I can do done tinkering with launch between those and the stock shaft as well.

Thanks in advance folks! Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy out there.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
So far, seeing my son game this driver numerous times, I’d say the Cortex is about on par with others for trajectory. I see nothing which obviously leads one to say it is a high or low launcher. This is a very good driver. I think you will be happy with it, especially for the price.

Hey peeps... First of all, I know, my name coming up must be a blast from the past for y'all Just haven't had a lot of focus on golf in the last 6-7 months or so. Hopefully I'll get the chance to post more on here.

Now to golf. I've seen prices really low on these, and I've been really intrigued since hitting one at a store around when then came out. Currently gaming an R15 12* (and by currently I mean as soon as PA golf courses open again...), but also have a Triton 12* that works fairly well for me also. The question I'd have is this. Do you guys gaming the Cortex think it launches higher, lower, or on par with other drivers out there? Reason I ask is I'm between whether I should go 12* again with it, or if coming down to 10.5 would be feasible with a high enough launching shaft/lofting up via the adapter without introducing too much draw bias. I know a lot of it is swing dependent, but looking for general characteristics here. I have a couple shafts here with Wilson adapters, so I can do done tinkering with launch between those and the stock shaft as well.

Thanks in advance folks! Hope everyone is staying safe and healthy out there.

I had a 9* and found it to launch higher than anything I tried last year... a few pages back I had my m5 launching at 13.8 with 2100 spin and the Cortex launched just over 15* with 2100 spin. The Cortex still had a draw for me, so its not like I was leaving the face open and adding loft for that higher launch. Even when playing outdoors I noticed a difference right away in flight.

Looking back on it, if I would have adjusted the driver to lower the loft and open the face a bit, I think it would have been my gamer

Thanks for the feedback guys. Sounds like it's probably most prudent to stick with a 12* head and adjust from there. I was hoping to go with the 10.5 to get the stiff stock shaft (I don't see any 12's with a stiff in there) but I do have two other shafts already that will plug into this.

I tried the Cortex with two different Atmos shafts last season, and didn't get along with it at all. Threw a Helium in it last week and it's now in the bag. What a huge difference that Helium made. I haven't had time to play with the settings after the shaft change, since the ranges are closed but ball flight is nice and high with a little draw to it. Don't think I'll need to tinker much.

Got a 10.5* Cortex with the Atmos Red stiff and really had a nice first range session with it. I like the light but stout feel of the Atmos shaft. Head to head with the Triton it was night and day - sounds much better, felt much more precise and it seems like I'm getting a really nice high but powerful flight with the loft set at 11.5*. Will need some on-course results to really validate that feeling though. I'm also curious to compare it against the R15 460 12* I have - off memory, the feel is similar, but I want to see how results differ.

Curious but Anyone know where can I go to find the atmos ts blue shaft? I really want it!!

Budget Golf has the Cortex on sale for $149.96! With the THP code that's $127.47! Options are limited though.

Just wanted to drop in here because good Lord this driver has become a winner for me over the past year. It is without question the most accurate driver I have ever gamed. Yesterday, on a very long course for me (6500yd par 72 on the card, but I suspect it was playing closer to 6600yd, since they had a couple tees snuck back only a little in front of the tips), I was hitting a lot of drivers (hit it on every par 4 or 5 except one position shot) and hit 93% FWYs!!!! That is not a number I think I've ever seen before, and it's not like I was bunting them out there either, I was taking strong cuts and generally getting what for me I'd consider to be nice distance (250+ range, with exception of a few uphill holes - and some substantially further).

I'm not sure if I'm losing any distance compared to a "maximum distance" setup - I'd likely need a fitting to determine that with certainty - but even if I am, it's minimal and I'm not sure I want to mess with the consistency I've been able to achieve here. And the look, sound and feel on this club are just spot on to me as well.

Wilson Staff REALLY had a winner on their hands with this thing, it's a shame more folks didn't get it into their hands. If anybody out there is looking for a mid spin type of setup prioritizing accuracy, you could do a hell of a lot worse than the Cortex, especially with the prices you can get these for now!

Probably not going to get much more feedback regarding the Cortex. As discussed, Wilson just marketed this driver very poorly, particularly in regards to pricing. Just way overpriced initially. As for the driver, it was really just as good as anything out there. Adjustability was average or better, the looks/set-up were phenomenal. The one distraction would be the sound, which was just too loud for me.

Probably not going to get much more feedback regarding the Cortex. As discussed, Wilson just marketed this driver very poorly, particularly in regards to pricing. Just way overpriced initially. As for the driver, it was really just as good as anything out there. Adjustability was average or better, the looks/set-up were phenomenal. The one distraction would be the sound, which was just too loud for me.

Was it overpriced though? It was right in line with other major releases at the time. As you stated, the product was just as good as those other major releases, so why should they charge less?

I understand that some people still can't get past the "value brand" idea of Wilson, but if Wilson keeps charging value prices for top tier products, they'll never get over that perception.

As for the sound, I certainly understand that, sound is a very personal thing. I'll say I really like the sound and feel, but I've played some real kitchen pots in the past (R11S, Triton) so in comparison this thing is fantastic!

Was it overpriced though? It was right in line with other major releases at the time. As you stated, the product was just as good as those other major releases, so why should they charge less?

I understand that some people still can't get past the "value brand" idea of Wilson, but if Wilson keeps charging value prices for top tier products, they'll never get over that perception.

As for the sound, I certainly understand that, sound is a very personal thing. I'll say I really like the sound and feel, but I've played some real kitchen pots in the past (R11S, Triton) so in comparison this thing is fantastic!

This goes back to the image problem Wilson has. Was it overpriced for the market. Probably not. Was it over priced because it was a Wilson driver? Absolutely.

If Fiat produced a car that was lets say even on par in style and performance as an audi and tried to charged audi prices. Would it be overpriced? No, it would probably be the right price for that market. Would everyone say it is overpriced because it is a FIat? Absolutely..

This goes back to the image problem Wilson has. Was it overpriced for the market. Probably not. Was it over priced because it was a Wilson driver? Absolutely.

If Fiat produced a car that was lets say even on par in style and performance as an audi and tried to charged audi prices. Would it be overpriced? No, it would probably be the right price for that market. Would everyone say it is overpriced because it is a FIat? Absolutely..

It's a good example and I get where you're coming from. Perhaps there needed to be an intermediate price point to try to gain consumer trust before jumping straight to market pricing, but it's a fine line between hamstringing yourself forever with too-low pricing and pricing themselves out of the market based on perception.

It's also interesting that Wilson gets this value perception on woods and putters, but on irons people will pay in line with the market.

I don't think they have a choice. The woods are good as are the putters. I used a Bucktown now. But most people don't give them a second look. They have to take a lower margin to keep placement.

I think I understand where you're coming from. If Wilson produces a quality product, that performs as good as anything else out there, then shouldn't it be priced in line with other competitors products?

From that point of view, I would say yes. Unfortunately, Wilson just isn't spoken in the same sentence with TM or Callaway right now. Their market share is just so much higher. In pricing the Cortex, I think Wilson should have undercut the rest of the driver market by a certain percentage. Maybe 10-20% lower. That would have drawn people in, and then the quality would have been given a chance.

Not saying that they should target the value market, as their product line is just too good for that.

Just wanted to add, since I was speaking of Wilson's product line. The C300 fairways and hybrids are absolute gems. They're still available, and can be had for a song. I'm fairly traditional with blacks and greys, but the matte red that Wilson want with is really rich. These flat out perform and could easily bump my gamers.

I think I understand where you're coming from. If Wilson produces a quality product, that performs as good as anything else out there, then shouldn't it be priced in line with other competitors products?

From that point of view, I would say yes. Unfortunately, Wilson just isn't spoken in the same sentence with TM or Callaway right now. Their market share is just so much higher. In pricing the Cortex, I think Wilson should have undercut the rest of the driver market by a certain percentage. Maybe 10-20% lower. That would have drawn people in, and then the quality would have been given a chance.

Not saying that they should target the value market, as their product line is just too good for that.
I agree. Would have been less expensive to take a margin hit to gain market share than to produce a tv show that got you little to nothing in return. TEE has done this to the extreme. I assume being private helped with taking a lower margin and it gained them consumers and now fanatics who rave about them.. Why... because people felt compelled to try it. The quality was always there.

I will add after my normal over excited comments that Wilson seems to have taken the lower margin approach with other Woods like D7 and D9. I guess they thought so much of Cortex that they priced it like TM and Cally. Must be a Harvard case study out there on how many mistakes these guys have made on product launches.

Last edited:
Since SkiBum bumped this the other day, I ended up bringing it with me on my range date Friday night. For the shots I have been trying to hit, I was able to pull them off easily with this. Mine is still paired with an Aldila NV shaft. I was hitting it so damn well that I thought I'd throw it in the bag for my next round. That is until I started hitting epic flash right next to it and the difference in flight was pretty noticeable.

I've been gaming my Cortex regularly since the W/S event. It is doubtful that I use even a fraction of it's potential but I am happy with the results.

With my "gentle" transition I don't feel like I'm loading the ATMOS as well as I should. But to be fair, out of my hoard, the only 2 shafts that feel "right" are the Project X LZ in my 815 Alpha and the Oban Revenge in an older TEE 3W.

W/S clubs would surprise a lot of folks if given a chance. Unfortunately, what seems like the majority of golfers will only play what they see winning on tour. Now "back in the day" that would have been W/S, but that ship has sailed.

Back