Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

Really looking forward to trying out the Cortex the first chance I get. I still fondly remember being at a GolfTown on launch day for the Triton, and coming away from swinging it being very surprised at how much I liked it. Hopefully the same goes for Cortex.

Kudos to Wilson Staff for doing DVD2. They could have quite easily walked away from the format after season 1, but I really think the overall production, as well as the Cortex and Rozwell end products were greatly improved over the season 1 offerings.

I’m not sure about $50 spiffs for sales associates. Might be better to offer a Cortex if you sell a certain number of them in a month. A good owner says sell something other than your personal favorites. Bring in Wilson for a clinic.
Does the dealer get extended terms or consignment on launches like this. Even with holiday sales it’s a less than ideal time to sell clubs isn’t it.

Also, also....

For you all that hit it, how was launch? Trying to decide if I should loft up or not. Bday is in a month and I might just ask the Doc for this.
My guess is that you would see your normal launch when set to neutral (I did). I could see you possibly having some fun with lofting up and bringing the weight forward. @sposey013168 would probably give you the best idea though. That is if he can stop giggling long enough. I was 2 bays over from him and he was doing 2 things while smashing his drives with the Cortex over and over. Giggling and saying "I can't miss".

I’m glad the Cortex driver won and I’ll be paying close attention to the feedback on here to get a better idea of what setup I’ll need to be looking for once everyone gets them dialed in. Pretty sure I’ll end up with one...I love the way this driver looks and the early descriptions of the sound are very appealing to me personally.

I just don’t see where else W/S could have priced this driver honestly, I believe if they go lower then it’s looked at as an inferior product. So far that doesn’t seem to be the case. As far as I can see they’re using high quality components, composite materials, and sound technology. The $499 price tag on this makes more sense to me than it does with others who aren’t using the composite materials and are much cheaper to produce.

My guess is that you would see your normal launch when set to neutral (I did). I could see you possibly having some fun with lofting up and bringing the weight forward. @sposey013168 would probably give you the best idea though. That is if he can stop giggling long enough. I was 2 bays over from him and he was doing 2 things while smashing his drives with the Cortex over and over. Giggling and saying "I can't miss".

It’s was comical to me how straight and far this thing was going. I know some thought I was kidding when I said here that it was so easy to hit that I was laughing after each swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wanting Roswell to win because it’s very different than what I have seen. This reminds me a lot of the M1 (not a bad thing). This and the F9 are the two drivers I’m most interested in trying this year.

So they not only lose $50 by reducing the price, they lose another $50 by paying a kickback to the retailer?

i can tell you from past experience working in a golf merchandise store, the kick back aspect works amazingly.

The spoiler banner was bush league. Didn't spoil it for me, I must've had my head down at the phone.

Was listening though when my son exclaimed, "they just spoiled it!" He was aware enough to know that I wasn't looking and didn't ruin it for me. I watched the rest of the show and then rewound to the offending banner.

Awful, LOL.

I will put my M3 and the cortex on my monitor as soon as it is a half decent day. (I really like the M3 btw) and I will be willing to bet I get better ball speed and carry with the cortex because I hit on the toe side a lot than a robot. I want a toe forgiving driver and that is why I love this driver already.

And anyone who knows me, knows that I am not one brand specific and I don’t post positive things because I got something for free. I always give my honest opinion on anything I buy or receive

I love my m3 and I'm toey and I feel that twist face had made tm so much better for that shot

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Correct me if I am wrong.

Didn't the original pitch for the Cortex on the first show, include an internal structure around the inside ("core"-tex) that connected the crown and sole returning the energy to the face. Similar to the Jail Break story?
If so, what happened to that narrative?

I deleted the first episode and have not watched it back, so it is possible that I am wrong here. Perhaps it was a different offering.

I found it interesting that what people want is what they already have. Most people were very conservative when it comes to appearance both from the top and the visible technology on the bottom.

People seemed to like the driver that was most like what they already had...including the pros. The final winner is not all that innovative.

My take-a-way is probably not good for the golf industry...In my mind we have maxed out what a driver can do for an average golfer.

The screenshot of all of the drivers' performance solidifies this for me.
To my thinking they are all statistically the same. When you add in imperfect swings and varying conditions a couple of robot yards here or there just doesn't matter.

If you have a premium driver that you purchased over the last couple of years, it is difficult to justify a pricey upgrade based on performance.

On another note, the people at W/S are awesome and it really didn't surprise me when they took care of the kid at the end.
Class Act!

Obviously quite early, but reports out of two large retailers carrying the products are sales have been stronger than anticipated and stronger than any Wilson driver they can remember.
Direct sales from Wilson also coming in strong.

Too early to tell what any of this means, but nice to see buzz on a product that THPers seem to really enjoy.

Obviously quite early, but reports out of two large retailers carrying the products are sales have been stronger than anticipated and stronger than any Wilson driver they can remember.

Too early to tell what any of this means, but nice to see buzz on a product that THPers seem to really enjoy.

I'm honestly not surprised, I think they are going to move way more units than most here will realize or expect.

Agreed that it's too early to say what it will mean long term. However, it is a nice start and if W/S can capitalize on this it might be "cool" to use W/S equipment again.

<-<-<- ETA: The HOF tag sure looks nice. :D

I'm honestly not surprised, I think they are going to move way more units than most here will realize or expect.

I agree

There is a buzz around the new Wilson driver that I can't recall for any of their woods in the past. The show seems to have been a big success so far!

I would like to know some real numbers how many sold on the first day? 100? 1,000? 10,000?

I've seen a lot of conversations similar to ours about whether or not this will sell at the price point it is currently at. I believe the have at least drummed up interest and that will get golfers like me to try out the driver. If it performs and ends up in enough bags, the word of mouth / having playing partners try it will continue to drive sales. I like the look of this driver and everything I've read about it so I'll be giving it a fair shot!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I would expect nothing less out of the gate as the product and winner were both well received by viewers, testers and judges alike.

If it happens to generate an Epic(ish) type buzz from here on out, then I'll think they can maintain stronger than anticipated sales. I fear that it may take just that.

I personally think after the specific show generated excitement peters out, meaning those instantly intent upon buying the driver do so, then the dropoff will be extreme and perhaps disappointing.

I hope that I'm wrong as I want to be wrong about that.

I would like to know some real numbers how many sold on the first day? 100? 1,000? 10,000?

Impossible for me to get that data this early (or sometimes at all), but its enough that they reached out to me without asking, which surprised me.

I would expect nothing less out of the gate as the product and winner were both well received by viewers, testers and judges alike.

If it happens to generate an Epic(ish) type buzz from here on out, then I'll think they can maintain stronger than anticipated sales. I fear that it may take just that.

I personally think after the specific show generated excitement peters out, meaning those instantly intent upon buying the driver do so, then the dropoff will be extreme and perhaps disappointing.

I hope that I'm wrong as I want to be wrong about that.

Yeah I dont think thats possible honestly. First off, they made WAY less pieces than something like that. Buzz continuing will be completely dependent on how its received once people get it in my opinion.

It will be interesting in this era of players without equipment deals if the Cortex ends up in any bags of non-Wilson players.

Right on! Glad the initial sales #'s are better then expected. The driver looks great.

Great news on the initial sales numbers of the Cortex!

I am sure it’s a product around the buzz gathered from the DVD show.
I wonder if a late airing of the show by golf channel say around mid February would have a similar effect and get some springtime purchases going.

I know how a lot on here feel about the Golf Digest rankings, and I would like to see where the Cortex fits.

So they not only lose $50 by reducing the price, they lose another $50 by paying a kickback to the retailer?
No. The price stays $500. The retailer/salesmen would get the spiff. It’s like an immediate bonus.

Back