Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
It is one of the drivers in the finale and this thread will serve as host for reviews and thoughts on it before the show airs tonight, and should it win, all reviews moving forward. We know we had 8 THPers already test it out at the THP Event Staff Proto this past weekend and have a lot to say.

Images will come after finale airs (should it win).

I like both of the drivers left, though of the two I think this would be my first choice to try.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This driver blew me away, many reasons for this.
First off when I am swinging good I usually have about a 5 to 10 yard cut on my driver. Before we hit the range Rich from Wilson told us one of the things about the Cortex is the weights could make about a 10 yard difference. I thought ok we have all that heard that a lot before. So when I got on the range I was swinging pretty good and ball was flying great but was cutting about 10 yards. I went and talked to Rich and he said move switch the weights, put 8 in the heel and 2 in the toe. Left the front to back in the middle as the flight was good. My next swing was straight as an arrow. It was like I could not miss this thing. You can ask some of the guys there that after a couple swings I just laughed because it was like the club was automatic.
When I took the club to the course it was ever better. One shot really stands out to me (it was the par 4 on the front that had about a 240 carry over a bunker (if you took an aggressive line) I did not make a great swing and it hit off the toe, I gave one on my my Shane groans after a bad swing and TC said don’t groan that’s good. Ball carried the bunker and was in perfect position. The 2 things that impressed me most about that is the fact I could feel I hit it off the toe and the fact it carried the bunker.
On the back nine I hit 2 really long drives for me. There was a 280 yard par 4 (set up for risk reward) Of course Corey was in the fairway so I went right at the green. It was slightly up hill. The ball carried the green and we had an eagle putt. That is stupid long for me.
Then on 18 there was a bunker running through the fairway again Corey was in the fairway and said go for it. I figured what the hell if I am in junk who cares. I did give this swing all i had and it was straight as an arrow and carried the bunker by 20 yards. We had wedge to the green.
Needless to say I was sold, to the point I told Doug you may have to call the cops because I am stealing this driver haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Admin
^^^^^

For those wondering who Rich is, he is R&D at Wilson and works on internal design. Crazy smart and one of the nicest people you would ever meet.

^^^^^

For those wondering who Rich is, he is R&D at Wilson and works on internal design. Crazy smart and one of the nicest people you would ever meet.

Yes Rich Hulock one of the nicest and smartest guys you will ever meet. The best thing about Rich is can explain R and D where ever a dumb hillbilly like me can understand it

This looks like another solid club. Really looking forward to seeing the final pictures when/if it wins.

Fantastic feedback Shane. How would you guys say the sound differed between the two models? This being a carbon crown, I think we know what to expect.

Fantastic feedback Shane. How would you guys say the sound differed between the two models? This being a carbon crown, I think we know what to expect.

The sound on both is pretty close. I would say they are a muted thwack. Somewhere between the g400 and the rogue sz.
Sound is so personal I hate to even say though. I could tell by the sound if I missed it. That’s all I care about when it comes to sound

• Admin
The sound on both is pretty close. I would say they are a muted thwack. Somewhere between the g400 and the rogue sz.
Sound is so personal I hate to even say though. I could tell by the sound if I missed it. That’s all I care about when it comes to sound

That is a pretty good descriptor. I was going to use the exact same drivers as comparison.

That is a pretty good descriptor. I was going to use the exact same drivers as comparison.

For me it was like a happy median.
Enough sound to know a good shot but no ear drum rupturing

Excellent feedback Shane, I know you love this one!

First off when I am swinging good I usually have about a 5 to 10 yard cut on my driver. Before we hit the range Rich from Wilson told us one of the things about the Cortex is the weights could make about a 10 yard difference. I thought ok we have all that heard that a lot before. So when I got on the range I was swinging pretty good and ball was flying great but was cutting about 10 yards. I went and talked to Rich and he said move switch the weights, put 8 in the heel and 2 in the toe. Left the front to back in the middle as the flight was good. My next swing was straight as an arrow. It was like I could not miss this thing. You can ask some of the guys there that after a couple swings I just laughed because it was like the club was automatic.
When I took the club to the course it was ever better. One shot really stands out to me (it was the par 4 on the front that had about a 240 carry over a bunker (if you took an aggressive line) I did not make a great swing and it hit off the toe, I gave one on my my Shane groans after a bad swing and TC said don’t groan that’s good. Ball carried the bunker and was in perfect position. The 2 things that impressed me most about that is the fact I could feel I hit it off the toe and the fact it carried the bunker.
On the back nine I hit 2 really long drives for me. There was a 280 yard par 4 (set up for risk reward) Of course Corey was in the fairway so I went right at the green. It was slightly up hill. The ball carried the green and we had an eagle putt. That is stupid long for me.
Then on 18 there was a bunker running through the fairway again Corey was in the fairway and said go for it. I figured what the hell if I am in junk who cares. I did give this swing all i had and it was straight as an arrow and carried the bunker by 20 yards. We had wedge to the green.

Needless to say I was sold, to the point I told Doug you may have to call the cops because I am stealing this driver haha.

Solid stuff Shane. 240+ carry on a bad toe strike, niiice. I can't wait to hit whichever driver(s) prevail tonight but my fingers crossed it's Coretex (or both).
Funny you should mention driver theft. I just might have to stake out the entrance to Millwood on Wednesday and follow any delivery trucks that head down your street. :devil:

Solid stuff Shane. 240+ carry on a bad toe strike, niiice. I can't wait to hit whichever driver(s) prevail tonight but my fingers crossed it's Coretex (or both).
Funny you should mention driver theft. I just might have to stake out the entrance to Millwood on Wednesday and follow any delivery trucks that head down your street.

Dan you know you are welcome to hit it anytime (provided the cortex wins if not you can hit my rozwell) The best part all I said above it their are witnesses so it’s not internet BS lol

Last edited:

Based on your feedback this is the one i want with the launch and the atmos red

I do hope both go to market

Based on your feedback this is the one i want with the launch and the atmos red

I do hope both go to market

Alex I thought I would have been red also but blue was perfect for me you might want to try blue

Shane, some GREAT early feedback in here dude. Well done.

Like the review. What is your swing speed in general?

Like the review. What is your swing speed in general?

I am between 95 and 98.

excellent feedback @sposey. you're currently gaming a pretty low spin driver if your signature is current. if so, how would you compare the spin and launch characteristics of the cortex to your gamer?

excellent feedback @sposey. you're currently gaming a pretty low spin driver if your signature is current. if so, how would you compare the spin and launch characteristics of the cortex to your gamer?

Launch is better with the cortex than my M3. Carry is better as well. Toe forgiveness is much better on cortex

I hit both the Cortex and the Rozwell at last weekends Staff Proto DvD2 event and can honestly say that going into the event I was pulling for the Cortex...

The Cortex has a beautiful pear shaped head, exactly what I'm looking for with a driver. The weight system is simple, forward to back. I love the graphics and the red accents. It just looks like a driver you'd love; and a lot of people loved it!

I did not hit this club very well. I struggled getting comfortable with it on the range and I never really settled into it during the round. I did hit a few good shots with it, just not as many as I hoped for. With that said, and to be fare, I didn't have the time to set it up to get it totally dialed in. I absolutely believe if I did have more time to get comfortable with this head it would have performed better for me.

I paired it was the Atmos Blue 6S but because I was struggling with ball flight I switched to the Atmos Red 6S about mid-round. Switching to the higher launching shaft definitely made a difference for me, when I hit it well I hit it very well. Clearly, for me, this is a low launching, low spinning head.

The sound wasn't as appealing as what I was getting from the Rozwell. Again, to be fair, I had more center hits with the Rozwell and had I had more center hits with the Cortex I'm sure the sound would have been better.

When I did hit the Cortex well the ball flight was fantastic; it just looks like the type of driver that would produce a long tee shot. I can't say this enough, this is really a very good looking driver!

My choice between the two is the Rozwell. With that said, if the Cortex was to win, and I wouldn't be surprised if it did, I would embrace this driver. I'm absolutely convinced that once I set it up to meet the ball flight my game needs it would be a fantastic driver for me.

Great feedback Jim and Shane. I've definitely intrigued, more so than I was with Driver vs Driver 1 as I didn't think they produced a good looking, performing, sounding club at all but they really seem to be on to something with both of these options. I'm very interested to see which one wins and continue to hear more feedback from you guys. Good stuff!

Nice stuff you guys. This one sounds much more in my wheelhouse with that pear shape and I don't need a ton of adjustability. That was a cool opportunity getting to hit these before the winner is even announced.

heading in to the weekend I was still pulling for the Rozwell. But man the chatter about this one from the guys this weekend has my interest slowly shifting to this one.

heading in to the weekend I was still pulling for the Rozwell. But man the chatter about this one from the guys this weekend has my interest slowly shifting to this one.

I know you would hammer cortex

Back