Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

So I had been struggling with the driver swing the last couple days, so bad that I have not posted any of the testing results yet because it was awful with all 3 clubs, so today on a whim I put the Atmos red R in the cortex and it was like a light bulb went off, just started swinging better (maybe it was a mental thing) now feel better about doing some driver testing tomorrow
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have enjoyed your enthusiasm and reviews of this driver. Well done.

I have enjoyed your enthusiasm and reviews of this driver. Well done.

Thank you captain. I have enjoyed your reviews of flash as well.

For me the cortex has been excellent. And you know what a club Ho I am and the fact I have not ever thought of buying another driver (with all the amazing new releases) says a lot about how I feel about the cortex.
I am excited to hit the red regular flex shaft some more tomorrow.

Hey JB, how is the cortex doing sales wise? I am sore they have slowed with other new releases coming out but are sales still on pace with the sales Wilson wanted?

Weather finally cooperated and I had my lesson yesterday. My fundamentals had fallen apart.

Driver was the focus of the lesson. Once my instructor managed to get me back on track I was actually hitting the center of the face!

When we started with the driver I had him hit the Cortex. He commented that really liked the feel (ball flight looked great, as expected). After my lesson he asked if he could hit the Cortex again. Each time he said "I really like this". Not the @sposey013168 giggle but close.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

I played yesterday in our first tournament of the year. I hit 2 of 14 fairways with the Cortex with V2 shaft installed. The two drives hitting the fairway were not long but they were straight. I will have to go to the range next week to see if I can dial it in. As you know, I have struggled getting this driver to work for me, but I continue to use it and try to dial it in.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

As a fan of Ping, there is no question in my mind that aesthetically the Cortex is still on top for 2019. Happy to report that my Cortex isn’t in danger of being replaced anytime soon.
e5fe01cd1ee6132deafa4c4a4e5a531f.jpg

fd4030bff61d4c42f5cdc086b9422a4b.jpg

As a fan of Ping, there is no question in my mind that aesthetically the Cortex is still on top for 2019. Happy to report that my Cortex isn’t in danger of being replaced anytime soon.

Its still holding strong in the looks department.

The Cortex may be the best looking driver on the market this season.

With the G410 coming in at $540 the folks at Wilson don’t look to crazy anymore. It also makes the folks at Exotics look really smart.

With the G410 coming in at $540 the folks at Wilson don’t look to crazy anymore. It also makes the folks at Exotics look really smart.

Its a fair point, lets look at prices:

TM: 550
PING: 540
Callaway: 530
PXG: 575
Srixon: 499 (785)
Cobra: 449
TEE: 299
W/S: 499

Had a full round yesterday with the Cortex and am seriously stoked on how well I swing this driver. Played with a buddy and a couple random's and one of the comments I heard was "that sounds interesting". Maybe I'm used to it but it does have a distinct noise when I was striking it well. They did love the look of it and were unaware of the Driver vs Driver show so it was cool to explain it to them and let them check out the driver.

My buddy just picked up a brand new Triton and was interesting to compare our results and sound, very different from each other obviously but still a great driver put out by Wilson as well.

Last edited:
Yeah, TEE can convert a lot of players who want the features and benefits but can only do so much with the technology or have a budget that doesn’t extend to $500. All of these are great clubs and shows the level manufacturing has gotten to with clubs.

Had a full round yesterday with the Cortex and am seriously stoked on how well I swing this driver. Played with a buddy and a couple random's and one of the comments I heard was "that sounds interesting". Maybe I'm used to it but it does have a distinct noise when I was striking it well. They did love the look of it and were unaware of the Driver vs Driver show so it was cool to explain it to them and let them check out the driver.

My buddy just picked up a brand new Triton and was interesting to compare our results and sound, very different from each other obviously but still a great driver put out by Wilson as well.

I never owned the triton I could not get over the sound. How did the triton compare cortex on length? Triton was long when I hit it

Being the P and L geek that I am, I would love to have the $$$ numbers on the clubs. Total cost to produce including R and D and advertising. And then have total sales numbers and see who made out the best on strictly profit.

Way off topic but-
I love the way Cobra has positioned itself this release cycle.

I don’t think this is off subject at all. Cobra priced their driver right in the middle and have a really hot looking club. They have a couple of really good players so they look to be in good position to grow share.

A friend and I played 18 today. I was using the Cortex and V2 shaft. I adjusted the sliding weight forward a couple of clicks. My drives were lower but I was able to hit 8 of 14 fairways. Seemed to have less spin on my drives but still getting a strong draw. We determined the length of most my drives at around 200 yds. I hit one drive about 230 yds but there was a lot of roll out. My friend was not impressed with the numbers I was getting. We tried other settings but we kept coming back to my initial setup. I was hitting two balls on some tees just to check it out.

Am I the only one in this group not getting a good performance out of the Cortex? My next round I am playing with my Cobra F8 just to compare results.

Not to go on the price point, but the Taylor Made M6 Driver and the Ping 410 drivers are 499.

The TM M5 is 550 only and no Ping Driver is over 500. At least, not on Golf Galaxy website.

A friend and I played 18 today. I was using the Cortex and V2 shaft. I adjusted the sliding weight forward a couple of clicks. My drives were lower but I was able to hit 8 of 14 fairways. Seemed to have less spin on my drives but still getting a strong draw. We determined the length of most my drives at around 200 yds. I hit one drive about 230 yds but there was a lot of roll out. My friend was not impressed with the numbers I was getting. We tried other settings but we kept coming back to my initial setup. I was hitting two balls on some tees just to check it out.

Am I the only one in this group not getting a good performance out of the Cortex? My next round I am playing with my Cobra F8 just to compare results.

I am still getting good results. Length wise all of the new clubs I have tried are all pretty close I still get the best accuracy with cortex.

It just no might be a good match for you, that has happened to me before, a club I wanted to like but just could not get it to work

Not to go on the price point, but the Taylor Made M6 Driver and the Ping 410 drivers are 499.

The TM M5 is 550 only and no Ping Driver is over 500. At least, not on Golf Galaxy website.

My post was based on MSRP, soooooooo, not inaccurate.

Sales price and MSRP sometimes differ, for sure.

With all the snow here, golf is over. When I did pay it for a few rounds, it was great. I put it in my bag and can't wait to hit it again. Very confidence inspiring for me. Sometimes gear just doesn't always work for everyone no matter how much we want it to. That might be the case with you and the Cortex...

$540 Is the MSRP. I don't know Pings policies but I would be surprised if they don't use MAP pricing on their products.( Minimum Advertised Pricing) That keeps internet pricing and brick and mortar from destroying a brands value by taking a sharply reduced margin on an item or items.

I never owned the triton I could not get over the sound. How did the triton compare cortex on length? Triton was long when I hit it

Lol the sound was bonkers. I couldn’t game it but he loves it, the adjustability with the face plate and weights is pretty cool. I hit the Cortex much better although the ball flight with the Triton was much more lower which I like so I did get extra distance and roll out. The Cortex is always finding the fairway but with that crazy high flight I’m not getting any roll

I’m still on the hunt for a red 6R or blue shaft. Not having any luck with any Wilson personnel. Anyone have Lindsey’s contact info? Pleeeassee Lol. Otherwise I might pony up for a diff shaft.

Lol the sound was bonkers. I couldn’t game it but he loves it, the adjustability with the face plate and weights is pretty cool. I hit the Cortex much better although the ball flight with the Triton was much more lower which I like so I did get extra distance and roll out. The Cortex is always finding the fairway but with that crazy high flight I’m not getting any roll

I’m still on the hunt for a red 6R or blue shaft. Not having any luck with any Wilson personnel. Anyone have Lindsey’s contact info? Pleeeassee Lol. Otherwise I might pony up for a diff shaft.

did you shout out to Corey on Twitter?

Pretty sure Lindsey is on linked in.

Back