Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

Hmmm. So, just like “twist face” by Cobra and others, but TM using it to sell, AI has been done before Callaway started marketing it. Ha! What’s “innovative” really never is in golf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

My guess is that there’s a huge gap in scope between this and what Callaway did with flash face but thought this was interesting. Shows that the tech angle is interesting to people.

Hey all, it’s like 20 below zero with the wind chill in Chicago, so no rounds for me for a while. But, I spent a few hours at Golftec yesterday and used some of that time to compare my old driver (Taylormade R15) with the Cortex. The results were about the same as my test on the Foresight. I was consistently getting 5-7 mph more on ball speed. A little footspray on the club face confirmed I was getting much better center contact with the Cortex. The other big difference for me, is that I used to be a big fader (ok fine, I sliced) and with the Taylormade I had a hard time closing the club at impact. With the Cortex, I was hitting mostly draws, and if I missed one it was a playable fade. I don’t know the technical reason for this, but it’s just a lot easier for me to close the club face.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any body here interested in trading a 12* head for the 10.5? I can take pictures of it of course. It’s in very good to almost excellent shape.

EDIT: I have a 12 and would am interested in see if anyone with a 10.5 would like to trade haha

Last edited:
I’m dropping off the UST Mamiya Proforce XX Gold tomorrow to get tip and grip installed. I’m looking forward to testing against the Fuji Atmos Blue. At such different price points, it will be interesting to see how they perform.

57d033bd85c46f11a17ef39d5ddad037.jpg

I’m dropping off the UST Mamiya Proforce XX Gold tomorrow to get tip and grip installed. I’m looking forward to testing against the Fuji Atmos Blue. At such different price points, it will be interesting to see how they perform.

57d033bd85c46f11a17ef39d5ddad037.jpg

I am interested to see how that turns out.
I am going to do some more driver testing tomorrow, been working some bugs out with 8 irons this past week

Played yesterday and had a good day with the cortex. On the front I hit driver on 6 holes and hit all 6 fairways. Distance was good for me. On the back hit driver on 7 holes and hit 5 fairways. 11 of 13 fairways is good for me, my course it not real wide fairways.
I am going to be on the IR for a couple weeks finally getting RFA done on my neck first procedure this Wednesday then second procedure Feb 13. Hopefully will be hitting cortex again after the 13th.
Needless to say the cortex is staying in the bag

This should probably be in the rant thread.....

Last weekend it was 70 degrees and our daughter flew in from MI so I missed the first round of the monthly men's league. This weekend I'm free and right on cue the rain started this afternoon.

Back on topic. I forgot to mention that my current setting is 10.5, heavy weight in the heel, and the sliding weight 3/4 to the rear. Seemed to work well at the range, now I just need to get out on the course.

Played today and had another good day with with the cortex.
Hit Driver on 12 holes and hit 9 fairways, the 3 that missed the fairway were not far off the fairway and in play. I always fell 8 fairways is good on my course so cortex continues to perform above my normal. Shot a 78 today which I am happy with.
I hope more people continue to give this driver a shot

Another good day with the cortex. It was really windy today. Hit driver on 13 holes today and hit 11 fairways. Did not score great shot 81 but that was on the putter not on the driver.
I hope the cortex performs like this all summer, it has been my unicorn

Another good day with the cortex. It was really windy today. Hit driver on 13 holes today and hit 11 fairways. Did not score great shot 81 but that was on the putter not on the driver.
I hope the cortex performs like this all summer, it has been my unicorn

Run with it, as you are. That's what the Epic was for me in '17 and most of '18. Lost nothing with the Rogue SZ, actually gained some.

Was/am interested in the Cortex but interest was evenly split between it, the G400 Max and TEE EXS. Landed a good deal on a G400 Max so that's next in line.

But as you can see, I keep visiting this thread. Interest is still high.

Oh, geez... I'm tapping into my deranged driver 'ho-dom of a decade ago. If it takes hold, watch out! I was known in the past to buy 5 current drivers at a time for an extensive shootout.

Haphazard, yet fun for me. I'll try to contain myself.

Run with it, as you are. That's what the Epic was for me in '17 and most of '18. Lost nothing with the Rogue SZ, actually gained some.

Was/am interested in the Cortex but interest was evenly split between it, the G400 Max and TEE EXS. Landed a good deal on a G400 Max so that's next in line.

But as you can see, I keep visiting this thread. Interest is still high.

Oh, geez... I'm tapping into my deranged driver 'ho-dom of a decade ago. If it takes hold, watch out! I was known in the past to buy 5 current drivers at a time for an extensive shootout.

Haphazard, yet fun for me. I'll try to contain myself.

I love the ping too and get great numbers on it as well, for me I just love the look of the cortex a lot better and it screams hit me.

This is my thing..... on average, my driver is going to go the same.... different drivers this year may give me +\- 3 or 5 yards on average. Good hits may be different for sure , but overall it’ll even out to be less than a club into the green. With that in mind, I play what I can find for cost and performance.

The cortex is so pretty address. It feels amazing. It sounds great. The adjustability is probably in the top 2 of the class in 2019. I do love mine haha.

Have never, ever been able to say that about a Wilson driver before.

I wonder if Cortex being a stand alone product actually hurts it in the long run. Around the same time of their introduction new drivers have been launched by TEE,Srixon, Mizuno,Ping, TM, Callaway Cobra, Titleist and I am sure others. Most if not all have not only launched a driver but also fairway woods and hybrids under than same model name. A player can go and be fitted into a family of clubs under one brand. Cortex like Triton seem more like a short term offering. I am not sure this helps Wilson in the long term as it tries to build their business outside of irons. I play Triton and do not plan on changing but I wondered if W/S left money on the table by not building other clubs around the driver.

If anyone has a Atmos 6X (preferably Blue) shaft that the are willing to part with, let me know. I have been testing UST ProForce 6f4, which is stiffer than my Atmos 6s, and I would love to test against an Atmos X to see what happens.

I’m still loving the Cortex! I found that moving the weight 3/4 of the way forward is giving me better dispersion, and a few more yards on average. Wouldn’t trade it for anything else on the market.

This is becoming ridiculous. It's rained every weekend since my lesson and now they are talking about an "atmospheric river" hitting us. :beat-up: I have a league tournament on the 23rd (if it doesn't get washed out) and I need to get out on the course before then.

On Topic

The Cortex sure is a great looking driver.

If anyone has a Atmos 6X (preferably Blue) shaft that the are willing to part with, let me know. I have been testing UST ProForce 6f4, which is stiffer than my Atmos 6s, and I would love to test against an Atmos X to see what happens.

I’m still loving the Cortex! I found that moving the weight 3/4 of the way forward is giving me better dispersion, and a few more yards on average. Wouldn’t trade it for anything else on the market.

Ha I’m looking for a red 6s! Unfortunately I haven’t heard from the folks at Wilson if I could pull a switcharoo. May just go shaft fitting at pga-ss.

I’m loving it too! Played a great round this weekend with the Cortex. I’m hitting straighter shots and found plenty of fairways with it.

Are you opposed to calling me huckleberry?

Nah. Let me see if I have an extra tip and I'll box it up this week.

I'm owed now.

This driver is going to haunt me until I can hit it again.

I'm looking forward to getting some shafts to tinker with with it. I like sooooo much about it.

I'm looking forward to getting some shafts to tinker with with it. I like sooooo much about it.

That'll be the big teller for me. Not using an Atmos blue with it (which my swing turns into a pool noodle at the wrong times).

What's atop your list for options?

Back