Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

That'll be the big teller for me. Not using an Atmos blue with it (which my swing turns into a pool noodle at the wrong times).

What's atop your list for options?

my orignal review I used the Rogue Silver that was in the Triton. THP requested all three ATMOS offerings for a fun comparison. So just waiting on that.

my orignal review I used the Rogue Silver that was in the Triton. THP requested all three ATMOS offerings for a fun comparison. So just waiting on that.

I should bring you the Red 7x next month. :bulgy-eyes:

Hopefully posting this doesn't anger the weather gods... It's not supposed to rain this weekend (finally). :dance: There is the potential of a frost delay but that just means our wine will be properly chilled.

I will be playing in a league tournament Saturday morning. This is the first time in a month and a half or so that I've been able to swing a club. Thankfully, I've played the course before. Even though I will probably test its forgiveness, I'm really looking forward to getting my Cortex out on the course again.

I have changed my swing over the winter and it was definitely causing higher ball flights at the range today than what I’m used to. I adjusted the 10.5 down 1*, and without having a launch monitor, I really liked what I saw.
I was worried that dropping the loft would open the face and make my fade turn into a slice, but it wasn’t a problem at all!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got back on the course for the first time in about 2 weeks yesterday, it was windy and cold but had cabin fever so had to get out.
The cortex performed very well again.
Hit driver 11 times and hit 9 fairways.
The cortex is not going anywhere, it just keeps performing for me

Got back on the course for the first time in about 2 weeks yesterday, it was windy and cold but had cabin fever so had to get out.

Awesome it works so well for you Shane!

Awesome it works so well for you Shane!

It really does. It is not the longest of the new drivers I have hit (they are all pretty close on length though) but cortex is the most accurate by a good margin for me and I can more about that.
Plus I just love the look at address just so classy looking

It really does. It is not the longest of the new drivers I have hit (they are all pretty close on length though) but cortex is the most accurate by a good margin for me and I can more about that.
Plus I just love the look at address just so classy looking

When it works, it works. I totally get it!

My first ever league tournament was on Saturday. The Cortex's forgiveness was seriously tested and managed to save me on all but two of the times I pulled it. In this context I'm counting a "save" as being in the first cut. The mud splatter on my slacks indicates that the course was softer than it appeared. Therefore, the two times I swung the Cortex like a sentient being would have been outstanding in normal conditions.

Good
1st tee: Completely cold other than a couple of practice swings. Slightly above center of face contact, 236 yards total (good for me anytime)

10th tee: Center face contact. Somewhere in the 240's. As I measured the distance remaining I remembered that the tee markers were moved forward but I don't know how much. :embarrassed:

Ugly
15th tee: The Cortex had become tired and couldn't save me from an OTT swing that was so bad that I barely clipped the ball with the toe.
18th tee: Smothered the ball (low left spiral) into the lake.

I'm looking forward to getting my swing change behind me and seeing what results I can achieve with the Cortex.

Settings:
10.5°, sliding weight 3/4 to rear, heavy weight in the heel.
Temp: 50's. Ball: W/S Duo Pro "Green"

My first ever league tournament was on Saturday. The Cortex's forgiveness was seriously tested and managed to save me on all but two of the times I pulled it. In this context I'm counting a "save" as being in the first cut. The mud splatter on my slacks indicates that the course was softer than it appeared. Therefore, the two times I swung the Cortex like a sentient being would have been outstanding in normal conditions.

Good
1st tee: Completely cold other than a couple of practice swings. Slightly above center of face contact, 236 yards total (good for me anytime)

10th tee: Center face contact. Somewhere in the 240's. As I measured the distance remaining I remembered that the tee markers were moved forward but I don't know how much. :embarrassed:

Ugly
15th tee: The Cortex had become tired and couldn't save me from an OTT swing that was so bad that I barely clipped the ball with the toe.
18th tee: Smothered the ball (low left spiral) into the lake.

I'm looking forward to getting my swing change behind me and seeing what results I can achieve with the Cortex.

Settings:
10.5°, sliding weight 3/4 to rear, heavy weight in the heel.
Temp: 50's. Ball: W/S Duo Pro "Green"

That’s good stuff Don

Has anyone tested the D7 against the cortex?
I would love to test them against each other but have not been able to find a D7 to test

Has anyone tested the D7 against the cortex?
I would love to test them against each other but have not been able to find a D7 to test

bet this changes soon.

bet this changes soon.

You are correct sir

Going to be a fun challenge

Question for you Shane (& anyone else really)

When you were fit, did you try other shafts? What are the characteristics of the Atmos Blue? Hi/Mid/Low launch? High/low spin? Sorry if this has been answered already

When you were fit, did you try other shafts? What are the characteristics of the Atmos Blue? Hi/Mid/Low launch? High/low spin? Sorry if this has been answered already

I was not fit. I would say the blue is mid launch mid spin and mid stiffness in the blue S. I played the Atmos red 6s before and it is slightly higher launching but not a ton of difference in the 2 for me.

I would say blue is a really good middle of the road shaft

I was not fit. I would say the blue is mid launch mid spin and mid stiffness in the blue S. I played the Atmos red 6s before and it is slightly higher launching but not a ton of difference in the 2 for me.

I would say blue is a really good middle of the road shaft

I think Shane nailed it. The blue was lower launching and felt firmer. The softer tip of the red fits my slower swing better feel wise but the slight difference in height was the only difference for me. I would really like the red tipped to an R+ and that would be perfect for me.

Wasn’t fit either but had the chance to try out both red and blue. Blue is def more of a mid-launch. At the time I was having a hard time getting a nice mid to high launch and went with the red. Now that I’m hitting it better, I would opt for the blue mid-launch and more roll out. Spin for blue is in between imo where red would have more spin

I would love to try the black in R flex. That would be fun for me I think.

I would love to try the black in R flex. That would be fun for me I think.

I don’t believe they make a black In R flex do they?

It doesn't look like they do. I assumed they would. Average and slower swing speed doesn't mean a low launch and low spin shaft wouldn't be a fit.

Wasn’t fit either but had the chance to try out both red and blue. Blue is def more of a mid-launch. At the time I was having a hard time getting a nice mid to high launch and went with the red. Now that I’m hitting it better, I would opt for the blue mid-launch and more roll out. Spin for blue is in between imo where red would have more spin

I have usually had no problems hitting it high (courtesy of a weak slice lol) but that’s starting to go away. Still I imagine the blue would probably be a better fit.

It doesn't look like they do. I assumed they would. Average and slower swing speed doesn't mean a low launch and low spin shaft wouldn't be a fit.

I don’t think they can turn rebar black into a regular flex haha

Back