Below Nav Bar Ad

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

It is one of the drivers in the finale and this thread will serve as host for reviews and thoughts on it before the show airs tonight, and should it win, all reviews moving forward. We know we had 8 THPers already test it out at the THP Event Staff Proto this past weekend and have a lot to say.

Images will come after finale airs (should it win).
    In my 2018 #TheGrandaddy THP Event Bag

Driver:
    Epic Flash w/ Helium Shaft 45"
    Driver 2: XXIO Prime w/
    Custom THP HZRDUS Shaft 43.5"
    Fairway Wood:
    JGR
    Hybrids:
    Launcher HB
    Irons: Apex 19 w/ Recoil Proto 95
    Wedges:
    CBX 50* and RTX-4 56* & 60* PM Grind 19
    Putter:
    #7S
    Balls:
    Chrome Soft X

I like both of the drivers left, though of the two I think this would be my first choice to try.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    Cobra F9 PX Evenflow White 65 6.0
    Cobra F7 Oban Isawa Red 75-04
    Cobra F9 3H-4H OL Hybrid ATMOS 75S
    Cobra Forged Tec Black OL 5-GW KBS $-Taper
    Cobra King Pur 54V, 58V DG S200
    Bettinardi Queen B 8
    Srixon Z Star

Comment

This driver blew me away, many reasons for this.
      First off when I am swinging good I usually have about a 5 to 10 yard cut on my driver. Before we hit the range Rich from Wilson told us one of the things about the Cortex is the weights could make about a 10 yard difference. I thought ok we have all that heard that a lot before. So when I got on the range I was swinging pretty good and ball was flying great but was cutting about 10 yards. I went and talked to Rich and he said move switch the weights, put 8 in the heel and 2 in the toe. Left the front to back in the middle as the flight was good. My next swing was straight as an arrow. It was like I could not miss this thing. You can ask some of the guys there that after a couple swings I just laughed because it was like the club was automatic.
      When I took the club to the course it was ever better. One shot really stands out to me (it was the par 4 on the front that had about a 240 carry over a bunker (if you took an aggressive line) I did not make a great swing and it hit off the toe, I gave one on my my Shane groans after a bad swing and TC said don’t groan that’s good. Ball carried the bunker and was in perfect position. The 2 things that impressed me most about that is the fact I could feel I hit it off the toe and the fact it carried the bunker.
      On the back nine I hit 2 really long drives for me. There was a 280 yard par 4 (set up for risk reward) Of course Corey was in the fairway so I went right at the green. It was slightly up hill. The ball carried the green and we had an eagle putt. That is stupid long for me.
      Then on 18 there was a bunker running through the fairway again Corey was in the fairway and said go for it. I figured what the hell if I am in junk who cares. I did give this swing all i had and it was straight as an arrow and carried the bunker by 20 yards. We had wedge to the green.
      Needless to say I was sold, to the point I told Doug you may have to call the cops because I am stealing this driver haha.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      W/S Cortex with Atmos Red 6R
      3 Wood: W/S C300 with fuji pro stiff
      Hybrid: W/S C300 20 and 23 with fuji pro stiff
      W/S C 300 Forged 5 through GW Steelfiber 95 Stiff
      Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 Raw 54 F and 60 D
      Putter: Swag Flow nech raw Suave one
      Ball: W/S Duo Professional Matte Yellow

Comment

^^^^^

For those wondering who Rich is, he is R&D at Wilson and works on internal design. Crazy smart and one of the nicest people you would ever meet.

Driver:
        Fairway Wood:
        JGR
        Hybrids:
        Launcher HB
        Wedges:
        Putter:
        #7S
        Balls:
        Chrome Soft X

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
          ^^^^^

For those wondering who Rich is, he is R&D at Wilson and works on internal design. Crazy smart and one of the nicest people you would ever meet.
          Yes Rich Hulock one of the nicest and smartest guys you will ever meet. The best thing about Rich is can explain R and D where ever a dumb hillbilly like me can understand it

Comment

This looks like another solid club. Really looking forward to seeing the final pictures when/if it wins.
            In My 2018 #TheGrandaddy
            Alpha Convoy cart bag:
            Driver: Epic Flash
            FW: Epic Flash 3w
            Hybrids: Big Bertha 3/4/5 Recoil ZT9 F4
            Irons: Big Bertha 5-AW Recoil ZT9 F4
            Wedges: 2019 PM Grind 54° Recoil 95 F3
            Putter: Stroke Lab 2 Ball Fang OR Stroke Lab EXO 2 Ball
            Ball: ERC Soft

Comment

Fantastic feedback Shane. How would you guys say the sound differed between the two models? This being a carbon crown, I think we know what to expect.
              Spoiler
              Driver: Epic Flash
              Fairway: V-Series Heavenwood, 915 F2 16.5
              Hybrid: G400 Crossover
              Irons: Callaway Apex CF16 5-PW
              Wedges: Vokey SM7 50, 55, 60
              Putter: Oworks Red Jailbird Mini

Comment

Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

Originally posted by obedt View Post
                Fantastic feedback Shane. How would you guys say the sound differed between the two models? This being a carbon crown, I think we know what to expect.
                The sound on both is pretty close. I would say they are a muted thwack. Somewhere between the g400 and the rogue sz.
                Sound is so personal I hate to even say though. I could tell by the sound if I missed it. That’s all I care about when it comes to sound

Comment

Originally posted by sposey013168 View Post
                  The sound on both is pretty close. I would say they are a muted thwack. Somewhere between the g400 and the rogue sz.
                  Sound is so personal I hate to even say though. I could tell by the sound if I missed it. That’s all I care about when it comes to sound

That is a pretty good descriptor. I was going to use the exact same drivers as comparison.

Driver:
                  Fairway Wood:
                  JGR
                  Hybrids:
                  Launcher HB
                  Wedges:
                  Putter:
                  #7S
                  Balls:
                  Chrome Soft X

Comment

Originally posted by JB View Post
                    That is a pretty good descriptor. I was going to use the exact same drivers as comparison.
                    For me it was like a happy median.
                    Enough sound to know a good shot but no ear drum rupturing [emoji41]

Comment

Excellent feedback Shane, I know you love this one!

Lets's Play golf!
                      How many pops do I get?

Comment

First off when I am swinging good I usually have about a 5 to 10 yard cut on my driver. Before we hit the range Rich from Wilson told us one of the things about the Cortex is the weights could make about a 10 yard difference. I thought ok we have all that heard that a lot before. So when I got on the range I was swinging pretty good and ball was flying great but was cutting about 10 yards. I went and talked to Rich and he said move switch the weights, put 8 in the heel and 2 in the toe. Left the front to back in the middle as the flight was good. My next swing was straight as an arrow. It was like I could not miss this thing. You can ask some of the guys there that after a couple swings I just laughed because it was like the club was automatic.
                        When I took the club to the course it was ever better. One shot really stands out to me (it was the par 4 on the front that had about a 240 carry over a bunker (if you took an aggressive line) I did not make a great swing and it hit off the toe, I gave one on my my Shane groans after a bad swing and TC said don’t groan that’s good. Ball carried the bunker and was in perfect position. The 2 things that impressed me most about that is the fact I could feel I hit it off the toe and the fact it carried the bunker.
                        On the back nine I hit 2 really long drives for me. There was a 280 yard par 4 (set up for risk reward) Of course Corey was in the fairway so I went right at the green. It was slightly up hill. The ball carried the green and we had an eagle putt. That is stupid long for me.
                        Then on 18 there was a bunker running through the fairway again Corey was in the fairway and said go for it. I figured what the hell if I am in junk who cares. I did give this swing all i had and it was straight as an arrow and carried the bunker by 20 yards. We had wedge to the green.

Needless to say I was sold, to the point I told Doug you may have to call the cops because I am stealing this driver haha.

Solid stuff Shane. 240+ carry on a bad toe strike, niiice. I can't wait to hit whichever driver(s) prevail tonight but my fingers crossed it's Coretex (or both).
                        Funny you should mention driver theft. I just might have to stake out the entrance to Millwood on Wednesday and follow any delivery trucks that head down your street.
                        SYNC Cart Bag (reviewing 2019 FlexTech Lite Carry Bag)
                        DRV: M3 460 at 9.5* Mitsu Tensei Blue 60
                        FWW: Epic Sub Zero 3+ at 13.5* 22 grams forward HZRDUS T800
                        HYB: G400 #2 Alta CB 70
                        UTIL: GAPR MID #3 at 18.5* Mitsu Tensei Blue Hybrid
                        IRONs: King F6 4i-PW, Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
                        WDGs: CBX 48* 54* 60*, Rotex Graphite
                        PUTT: O-Works Red #7s
                        BALLS: TP5X

Comment

Wilson Staff Cortex Driver

Originally posted by Daddio View Post
                          Solid stuff Shane. 240+ carry on a bad toe strike, niiice. I can't wait to hit whichever driver(s) prevail tonight but my fingers crossed it's Coretex (or both).
                          Funny you should mention driver theft. I just might have to stake out the entrance to Millwood on Wednesday and follow any delivery trucks that head down your street. [emoji317]
                          Dan you know you are welcome to hit it anytime (provided the cortex wins if not you can hit my rozwell) The best part all I said above it their are witnesses so it’s not internet BS lol

Last edited by sposey013168; 11-13-2018, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Based on your feedback this is the one i want with the launch and the atmos red

I do hope both go to market
                            F9 Speedback Avalanche 10.5° Driver HZRDUS Smoke Black 60
                            F9 Speedback Yellow 14.5° Fwy HZRDUS Red 75
                            F9 Speedback Pink 18.5° Fwy HZRDUS Red 65
                            F9 Speedback 4i Catalyst 80 6.0
                            F9 Speedback Pink 5-GW Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff
                            King Black 52°/56°/60° Modus 3 Tour 105 Stiff

NEAD 8802 303 Stainless; Bronze Face/Bronze Stripe Rear Flange

Black Cobra Connect UTX
                            Hybrid
                            Truvis Shaka Ball

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by OITW View Post
                              Based on your feedback this is the one i want with the launch and the atmos red

I do hope both go to market
                              Alex I thought I would have been red also but blue was perfect for me you might want to try blue

Comment

Above Footer Ad

Collapse
                              Working...