The 2019 Morgan Cup Sponsored by Cobra Golf: Want To Be A Tour Player

You mean the ones with two 9i or two pw? Yeah I'd be very hesitant to do something like that. The guys at over at cobra spend a lot of time and research on getting the lofts and everything correct. Messing with all of that because it makes sense in your head is dangerous. Even tour pros have to be told they are crazy once in a while I'm sure haha

Yeah we probably get the internet golfer thing going on a bit much at times. Everything sounds great in our head but once we are on the course it can be pretty evident we are being silly.

JB....this is good to hear.....I thought I was going to miss something by not having all my clubs with different shafts and loft/lies!!??

JB....this is good to hear.....I thought I was going to miss something by not having all my clubs with different shafts and loft/lies!!??

I was just about to post the same! For a second, I was a bit concerned that I was going to be too boring for everyone. Now I feel more comfortable revealing my big customization: switching from the stock 5-GW FTBs to the CUSTOM 4-PW FTBs! Woah...look out!!!! ***insert "mind blown" emoji*** :D

One of the reasons for that is it is not loft to loft. Loft is only a small part of the equation. When you factor in where weight is located, how launch is brought, how spin plays a role in that. Face thickness and how that impacts both of those things. Sole delivery, weight, finishes, etc. Its a very hard task to do. Combine that with they want people playing great golf. Seeing the amount of work and tech that has gone into clubs like KING F9 to truly help golfers hit it further, straighter and higher and land softly. These guys like Mike Yagley are so incredibly smart and to have them say "its a bad idea" or "lets work on making this THPer score better" should be amazing.

I remember a couple of years ago Mike Yagley was talking about club setup and said something along the lines of "the iron sets are designed they way they are for a reason, to make the set work as a whole". You're message was spot on.

I remember a couple of years ago Mike Yagley was talking about club setup and said something along the lines of "the iron sets are designed they way they are for a reason, to make the set work as a whole". You're message was spot on.

So many people pass on forgiveness for something that can make a miss so much more visible. Im not speaking to low cappers really, but golfers as a whole, and the general golfing public is playing bogey golf. Which is good. Now think if I am a bogey golfer, instead of working the ball and flighting it, taking a regular swing and having a club help go high and far. Its legitimate strokes saved.

So many people pass on forgiveness for something that can make a miss so much more visible. Im not speaking to low cappers really, but golfers as a whole, and the general golfing public is playing bogey golf. Which is good. Now think if I am a bogey golfer, instead of working the ball and flighting it, taking a regular swing and having a club help go high and far. Its legitimate strokes saved.

I always think of how easy that One Length hybrid was to hit. If you hadn't had it in the bag that day for me to try I never in a million years would have tried it and it proved that having an open mind could really help out a persons game.

Im just putting this out here and if you guys want to hate the message Im okay with it.

I understand the thrill of the open catalogue of options. I understand the want to get strikingly beautiful clubs. With that said, some of your sets you guys are putting together, not only make no sense at all, but are going to come back with questions. The sponsor, myself and everybody involves, wants people to play their best golf possible. They want their clubs shining in the spotlight and your reviews post event to be about a set that makes you better. 3-4 sets of clubs combined into one with lofts getting changed, etc is a recipe for disaster.

Now I say all of that now, as preparation. Play with in your abilities. Play what makes you want to get better. Play what makes you better for your team.

When the orders are placed, the team goes over every one of them and most golfers will get some questions coming back. Some of the brightest minds in golf read every single one of these and they do have some say. They will work with you to get everything perfect, but also want to make sure the equipment is set to perform and not a recipe for someone kicking it as soon as the weekend is over because its a bad idea.

Three schools of thought to remember courtesy of your sponsor.

Pick the most forgiving club you can handle hitting.
Dont over think the shaft as far as altering ball flight in large ways
Remember this is an awesome opportunity and to work on your game and show up playing the best you possibly can.

I cannot wait till you see what I'm going to submit to you/Cobra :angel::angel::beat-up::beat-up::beat-up:

I cannot wait till you see what I'm going to submit to you/Cobra :angel::angel::beat-up::beat-up::beat-up:

I have the perfect sent folder for it.

animated-folder-image-0017.gif

If anyone wants to pick up some Puma pants, Golf Discount has them for $35 right now (courtesy of the coupon thread). Super nice pants too

So, with the Morgan Cup being early in the golfing year, it's likely to be many of our first official competitions under the new rules. I know I saw some discussion on this in some other threads, but 2 thoughts specifically for the Morgan Cup:

1) Do we think the groups will agree with the flag-in/out rule? I'm thinking I'll leave it in on long putts and take it out on shorter putts, but not sure where that threshold will be. If your group is falling behind, will you be more likely to do what the rest of the group is doing? With match play, I'm wondering if there will be any differences with how people decide to use it.

2) Will the lost ball/OOB local drop rule be in effect? Everything I've heard is that it's not designed for elite amateur or pro events. Since we'll be Tour players for the week...:smile-big:

I am unofficially in the overthink crew after yesterday, which is silly.

Going with my original setups on pretty much everything (minus 3w head type which i was on the fence about) and feeling good about it. Unless my THP buddies talk me into something else in the threads hahaha

Going with my original setups on pretty much everything (minus 3w head type which i was on the fence about) and feeling good about it. Unless my THP buddies talk me into something else in the threads hahaha

I kind of wondered why you wouldn’t choose the tour model fw, but I don’t know your game. I can only imagine it, and it’s a pretty dang good imagine.

My bag is pretty much set as well don’t
Forsee any changes

I am pretty much set on the following:
F9 Driver, yellow, 9 degrees, Smoke 6.0
F9 3 wood, yellow, Smoke 6.0
F9 Tour 4-5 wood, Smoke 6.0
Hybrid 19 degree (although these have yet to be announced for MC)
F9 5 iron
FTB 6 through gw
King Black wedges, 54 and 58, versatile grind
If available, all irons and wedges shafted with $ Taper R+. I reserve the right to change the shaft on the woods, but I already know the Smoke works for me, so why mess with it. We do not yet know the shafts for the hybrids.

That would be a dang good bag for me and my needs as a golfer.

I kind of wondered why you wouldn’t choose the tour model fw, but I don’t know your game. I can only imagine it, and it’s a pretty dang good imagine.

Forgiveness is a great thing. I'll take the extra spin if it means straighter distance when I don't deserve it. Especially considering it's pretty much exclusively an off the tee club.

Forgiveness is a great thing. I'll take the extra spin if it means straighter distance when I don't deserve it. Especially considering it's pretty much exclusively an off the tee club.

I was considering putting the tour in the 3W spot, but like the rest of my bag forgiveness has won out

You mean you don't hit the center every time? haha

Personally I love the smaller size of the tour model, but I tend to use mine more in the fw than off the tee so maybe that plays a role in my preference. I didn't hit last years model off the fairway as well as my previous 3w but off the tee it was good.

I am pretty much set on the following:
F9 Driver, yellow, 9 degrees, Smoke 6.0
F9 3 wood, yellow, Smoke 6.0
F9 Tour 4-5 wood, Smoke 6.0
Hybrid 19 degree (although these have yet to be announced for MC)
F9 5 iron
FTB 6 through gw
King Black wedges, 54 and 58, versatile grind
If available, all irons and wedges shafted with $ Taper R+. I reserve the right to change the shaft on the woods, but I already know the Smoke works for me, so why mess with it. We do not yet know the shafts for the hybrids.

That would be a dang good bag for me and my needs as a golfer.

I think this is where I'm going as well. I like the smoke a lot. Hit it better than I thought I would and felt better to me than I thought.

I really wish PX would make a hybrid shaft out of it.

Im just putting this out here and if you guys want to hate the message Im okay with it.

I understand the thrill of the open catalogue of options. I understand the want to get strikingly beautiful clubs. With that said, some of your sets you guys are putting together, not only make no sense at all, but are going to come back with questions. The sponsor, myself and everybody involves, wants people to play their best golf possible. They want their clubs shining in the spotlight and your reviews post event to be about a set that makes you better. 3-4 sets of clubs combined into one with lofts getting changed, etc is a recipe for disaster.

Now I say all of that now, as preparation. Play with in your abilities. Play what makes you want to get better. Play what makes you better for your team.

When the orders are placed, the team goes over every one of them and most golfers will get some questions coming back. Some of the brightest minds in golf read every single one of these and they do have some say. They will work with you to get everything perfect, but also want to make sure the equipment is set to perform and not a recipe for someone kicking it as soon as the weekend is over because its a bad idea.

Three schools of thought to remember courtesy of your sponsor.

Pick the most forgiving club you can handle hitting.
Dont over think the shaft as far as altering ball flight in large ways
Remember this is an awesome opportunity and to work on your game and show up playing the best you possibly can.
and this is why I am going to KISS building my set and play with what is most comparable to what I have currently in shaft options and/or what I have hit and liked.

also ended up getting a CC gift card for christmas that will pay for a full bag so I'm going to before we order and see what options they do.

So exciting seeing all the potential setups for the guys. I remember thinking, rethinking and overthinking my setup! I’m the end the Cobra guys were a great help and I love everything about it.

Only regrets are the grind I chose on the wedges considering I’m in Louisiana and playing Bermuda often something with a wider sole and more bounce would have been a better choice. But that was all on me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t remember reading it, so could somebody clarify whether Haig Pointe is Bermuda? I would presume it is.

I can’t remember reading it, so could somebody clarify whether Haig Pointe is Bermuda? I would presume it is.

I thought they used Paspalum...... great salt water grass that I think is wayyyyy better than most bermudas

Back