Maltby club discussion

justincredible

Reaction score
Handicap
I know there won't be many on here with experience with Maltby clubs, but my next set of irons will be coming from The Golfworks and was hoping I'd find a few folks with experience/recommendations. I don't really care much about big name equipment, and given I've heard great things about their clubs and I grew up in Newark, OH where they are located I decided to give them a serious look. I'm headed home to visit my mother this weekend, and they are open until 3pm on Saturday so my plan is to leave early and stop in and demo a few clubs before they close. I've been to their facility once or twice before, back in high school when I didn't have any money. I'm very much looking forward to checking it out as an adult with expendable income.

Iron heads

I'm a big fan of the TS-1, TS-2, PTM Black, and DBM irons. They all fall into the Super Game Improvement category given their "Maltby Playability Factor" so I'm assuming they will work for all levels of golfers. I typically shoot in the high 90s, but shot a 91 on Sunday in my first round where I actively attempted smart course management (i.e. hit my hybrid instead of driver off the tee). Does anyone have experience with any of the irons I listed? Has anyone had Golfworks build a set for them? I would likely need some length and lie adjustments so I'm not going to attempt to build my own set just yet. I am contemplating doing one of their fitting and assembly classes this summer since I can spend a few extra days hanging out with my mom.

I'm also interested in trying out their hybrids, though I'm pretty sure they will be releasing a new line early in the new year.

I know there won't be many on here with experience with Maltby clubs, but my next set of irons will be coming from The Golfworks and was hoping I'd find a few folks with experience/recommendations. I don't really care much about big name equipment, and given I've heard great things about their clubs and I grew up in Newark, OH where they are located I decided to give them a serious look. I'm headed home to visit my mother this weekend, and they are open until 3pm on Saturday so my plan is to leave early and stop in and demo a few clubs before they close. I've been to their facility once or twice before, back in high school when I didn't have any money. I'm very much looking forward to checking it out as an adult with expendable income.

Iron heads

I'm a big fan of the TS-1, TS-2, PTM Black, and DBM irons. They all fall into the Super Game Improvement category given their "Maltby Playability Factor" so I'm assuming they will work for all levels of golfers. I typically shoot in the high 90s, but shot a 91 on Sunday in my first round where I actively attempted smart course management (i.e. hit my hybrid instead of driver off the tee). Does anyone have experience with any of the irons I listed? Has anyone had Golfworks build a set for them? I would likely need some length and lie adjustments so I'm not going to attempt to build my own set just yet. I am contemplating doing one of their fitting and assembly classes this summer since I can spend a few extra days hanging out with my mom.

I'm also interested in trying out their hybrids, though I'm pretty sure they will be releasing a new line early in the new year.

Although I haven’t tried any of their clubs yet Golfworks is on my radar. I just got back into golf last year and when I saw what name brand clubs were going for I decided to go the clone route and currently have Gigagolf clubs. I’d like to try Maltby as well. Maybe a driver or wedge. But like you I want to wait and see what they will be coming out with in 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back in 2008, I had the guys at Golf Galaxy build me a totally custom fit set of Maltby clubs, 1" longer woods to 1/2" on the irons, set up perfect lie angles, and fitted shafts. Spent the whole afternoon there and I used them for 4 years. (about 40 rounds) They are in storage, but I probably will never use them again as technology has improved. I assume that the newer Maltby equipment would be at the current level. It depends on the expertise of the fitter how well the clubs will work out.

One of my favorite irons all time is the M-05. I think it’s the predecessor to the DBM. Felt really good and had a decent amount of forgiveness but I wouldn’t call it super-game improvement no matter what the MPF number is.

I'm headed home to visit my mother this weekend, and they are open until 3pm on Saturday so my plan is to leave early and stop in and demo a few clubs before they close.

Good plan. Looking at, holding and swinging the clubs will tell you whether the Maltby brand is for you or not.

Although I haven’t tried any of their clubs yet Golfworks is on my radar. I just got back into golf last year and when I saw what name brand clubs were going for I decided to go the clone route and currently have Gigagolf clubs. I’d like to try Maltby as well. Maybe a driver or wedge. But like you I want to wait and see what they will be coming out with in 2019.

Not sure if that's how you meant it, but to clarify, Maltby/Golfworks clubs are not in the same ballpark... nah, they're not in the same city/county/state as clone golf clubs. Maltby/Golfworks stuff is top tier.

Not sure if that's how you meant it, but to clarify, Maltby/Golfworks clubs are not in the same ballpark... nah, they're not in the same city/county/state as clone golf clubs. Maltby/Golfworks stuff is top tier.

My only comparison is that they are in the same ballpark cost wise as other companies, I considered like Pinemeadow and Gigagolf.

I have built a set of PTM's, I use it as my back-up set at the moment. Maltby is a quality product and they tend to have low CG in their designs with rather large blade size while still having modest topline and little offset. I really like mine and they feel and perform really good.

My bag says it all, and many know I've tried many of the big names and these are the best for me
821c7a3fb21d33dd63dda29887409fef.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Maltby makes great stuff for a reasonable price. Popeye is the resident expert.

DT

I played a longneck Maltby putter for a long while years ago. Always interested in their irons and some woods, just never pulled the trigger.

I still like many of their designs.

My bag says it all, and many know I've tried many of the big names and these are the best for me

Curious your thoughts on the ts 1 compared to your ts2, more importantly is the ts 2 top line really bulky and is the ts1 a little to bladish?

Hmm that's hard to describe but I will try to compare to what I have owned and played for you, the ts1 is more on the lines of the p770 but built like the p790, I preferred the 770 over the 790

But tbh ts1 has less offset to my eye but pretty forgiving for sure

Of the ts2 is pretty much like the new cobra forged tec black irons topline and size wise but to me they are smoother that the cft

So I went ts2 4-5 and 6-gw ts1 and have not looked back, I got them at the end of summer well not to long after they came out, I really love the dg 105 s300 thanks to Popeye I really feel like I'm at home with this shaft very smooth

I really feel like I could have played either one of the ts models if I went with one whole set it would be ts1 I like the blade look better but definitely not too small,I do feel the ts2 has a smidgen more forgiveness hence why I went with the setup I have

Btw I did bend all my ts1 irons to same specs as ts2 ,I did it immediately so I'm not sure I needed to but I did it because peace of mind for new is everything lol

I went and trained at golfworks for 2 weeks and have a lot of experience with these irons in between sessions.

Ts1 - it's definitely a blade size head but it's very forgiving being filled with that foam/polymer. This is absolutely my favorite club. Small but still forgiving off mishits. This would be my go to club for sure.

Ts2 - just an all around great club. Not chunky at all. I'd say it's more around Callaway Rogue size. Not super chunky but not tiny. Great feel and LOOONG. It sounds bad but it's a very middle of the road club in terms of size but it packs a punch.

DBM - Good middle ground club sort of like the TS2 but a little smaller. Not a complete blade but not a GI iron either. Think of it as a Titleist CB but a touch bigger. I like the ts line feel more because of that filling but the black dbm are beautiful.

All of their irons are very forgiving and their bigger irons are definitely long. The Sti OS irons are stupid long. I honestly cant say enough good things about their clubs and people in general.

Also if you have any questions about the classes let me know. I took their fitting assembly and repair as well as professional club fitting. I work at golf galaxy (their parent company) as a club tech/fitter and use the knowledge and material every single day. Dont hesitate to ask any questions at all whether it's club building or whatever. I'd love to help!

PS: Just letting you know the classes are roughly 8 hours a day. You're in class from 8 to 5 or 10 to 5 so you might not get as much time with your mom as you might think.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

That's a nice looking set. If I end up going the TS route I could see myself splitting it up like that.

Also if you have any questions about the classes let me know. I took their fitting assembly and repair as well as professional club fitting. I work at golf galaxy (their parent company) as a club tech/fitter and use the knowledge and material every single day. Dont hesitate to ask any questions at all whether it's club building or whatever. I'd love to help!

PS: Just letting you know the classes are roughly 8 hours a day. You're in class from 8 to 5 or 10 to 5 so you might not get as much time with your mom as you might think.

Would the assembly and repair class be good for an absolute beginner? I've never done so much as regripped a club.

I figured the classes would be long. She works until 5 during the week anyway, and since classes are Th-F I'd get to spend a few more evenings than my normal weekend visits. It would actually give me a couple more evenings to visit old friends from growing up that I don't get to see often.

Would the assembly and repair class be good for an absolute beginner? I've never done so much as regripped a club.

I figured the classes would be long. She works until 5 during the week anyway, and since classes are Th-F I'd get to spend a few more evenings than my normal weekend visits. It would actually give me a couple more evenings to visit old friends from growing up that I don't get to see often.
They assume you don't know a single thing about repair. That's the whole point of taking a class like that, to learn. I worked as a tech before I took the classes and even I learned a ton of stuff. Jim and Sean did an incredible job teaching myself and some of the other more experienced ones as well as the complete beginners. They will absolutely spend the time to help you and answer any questions you would have.

Thanks. I assumed as much, but wasn't sure if it would be helpful to learn any basic skills first.

Love my KE4 heads. I never had better iron play than when I gamed them years ago and I just re-shafted them with graphite. Haven’t had a chance yet to play due to injuries and moving, but do plan on getting out soon.

Love my KE4 heads. I never had better iron play than when I gamed them years ago and I just re-shafted them with graphite. Haven’t had a chance yet to play due to injuries and moving, but do plan on getting out soon.

... I have not played any of their players type irons, but built woods and hybrids for friends and family as well as some of their SGI irons. My 25 son wanted to start playing and I didn't want to spend a ton in case his interest died sooner rather than later, so I built him a set of KE4 S irons. I played them a round to be sure they were right for him and I was very impressed. Launched too high with too much spin for me, but perfect for him. Just crazy forgiving and when hit side by side with a AP1, I found them to be pretty much interchangeable, which kinda surprised me. As long as you get the right heads with the right shafts for your game, I think Maltby makes really good stuff.

https://www.golfworks.com/maltby-ke4-s-iron-heads/p/ma0254/

Stopped in today and demoed a lot of clubs this afternoon. The PTM Forged were it. Can't wait to get a true fitting in a couple months and start gaming them.

First, thanks to the OP for starting this thread. I currently game the KE4 hybrids and Tour MG Grind wedges. Prior to a bout of insanity with single length (long story), I played DBMs and MMB-17 Blacks.

Obviously, a lot has been written about the TS-1 and TS-2, and rightfully so. I don't know if this is known, but Maltby has a driver in the works: The ISO-T. Britt Lindsay stated an image of the club has been submitted for the print version of the Maltby/Golfworks catalog. The only detail I've read is it is in final testing stages, and they're trying to fine tune the sound.

That's a nice looking set. If I end up going the TS route I could see myself splitting it up like that.
I may be selling mine now that I'm striking the ball better I'm going back to mizzys, lmk if you do get ready to get a set I can save you some cash with mine

First, thanks to the OP for starting this thread. I currently game the KE4 hybrids and Tour MG Grind wedges. Prior to a bout of insanity with single length (long story), I played DBMs and MMB-17 Blacks.

Obviously, a lot has been written about the TS-1 and TS-2, and rightfully so. I don't know if this is known, but Maltby has a driver in the works: The ISO-T. Britt Lindsay stated an image of the club has been submitted for the print version of the Maltby/Golfworks catalog. The only detail I've read is it is in final testing stages, and they're trying to fine tune the sound.

I bought a Rogue driver recently, but I am curious to see what the new Maltby driver looks like.

I may be selling mine now that I'm striking the ball better I'm going back to mizzys, lmk if you do get ready to get a set I can save you some cash with mine

Thanks for the offer. I'm actually not sure I'll end up with a set of Maltby irons after winning a spot at Shaft Up. I'm not 100% sure on the details, but based on the information I can gather I might be walking away from that with a set of Ben Hogan irons. If that changes, or if I decide to grab another set of irons anyway I will be in touch.

Back