Build Your Cobra KING F9 SpeedBack FW Woods

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The 2019 Morgan Cup is in just 90 days and participants get a full bag of equipment from Cobra Golf as part of the THP Event. This year we are tasking them with piecing it together in waves, for two reasons.

i-mvB2pVq-M.jpg

1. Not to become overwhelmed with the awesomeness.
2. To bring the entire community of THPers along for the ride with the decisions they make.

So here is the drill. They can choose any Cobra FW Wood(s) and here are the other options offered. Just like Tour Players, there are decisions to be made and in this case, they have a plethora of shaft options available as well as some grip options and every participant will be using Cobra Connect for stats.

Club Head(s)
King F9 SpeedBack FW
KING FMax SuperLite

Shaft Choices
UST Mamiya Helium 4, 5
Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6
Project X HZRDUS Smoke
Mitsubishi Tensei CK Blue 60, 70
Aldila NV 2K XV Green 65, 75
Aldila NV 2k XV Blue 60, 70

Grip Choices
KING F9 Black Midsize
King F9 Blue Midsize
KING F9 Standard
REL Black
Crossline Black
Tour Velvet
UTX Black

I would go:

King F9 SpeedBack 3 and 5 wood
Project X HZRDUS Smoke 6.5
Crossline Black +2 wraps

Man I still don't know about the shaft situation... but I'm pretty certain I'm going F9 SpeedBack Tour Issue 3-4 with Atmos Blue and UTx grip. Without seeing any of the equipment in hand its a bit tough to decide but having played the F8 3-4 last year I'm pretty sure I want to go with the smaller head of the Tour Issue. The 5-6 or even 7-8 could also be on the table to the fact that I want to avoid the hybrid (I THINK) this year. I only used my hybrid 14 times all of last year, I just never felt comfortable with it so I may want to go a different direction.

F9 Speed Back 5 wood, -1 degree.
ProjectX HZRDUS Smoke
Lamkin UTx

I love lowering the loft on a 5 wood shaft length for better play off the deck while still getting good distance off the tee. I've had really good luck with Project X shafts in woods (my XR still has a LZ Handcrafted) so I'd stick with them. And UTx remains the best grip on the market, IMO.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This might actually make the driver selection easier for me. I like to match.

Probably going Speedback tour head 3-4 with the Smoke (assuming it's the 75g) in 6.5 flex. UTx black for sure.

Man have I been thinking about this since my visit to PGASS yesterday....

King F9 Speedback FW
Aldila NV 2K XV Green 75 -1/2” length with King F9 standard +2 wraps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As it stands right now, I think I go with Speedback:

3-4 fw
4-5 tour fw

Both with Hzrdus Smoke, 6.0, UTx black grip

Last edited:
Build Your Cobra KING F9 SpeedBack FW Woods

Speedback lofted to 16* with the Project X smoke shaft and king midsize blue grip

As I don't play many FW I'd go with just 2, 1 of each!
King F9 SpeedBack FW with Project X HZRDUS Smoke
KING FMax SuperLite with Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Blue 6
UTX Black on both

King F9 Speedback 3Wood

UST Helium 5F4 43” 16* (3W) with graphics down

Lamkin UTX Black +2 wraps

FMAX Superlite 20* (5F) 42.5”

UST Helium 5F4

Great way to start the new year with another Build Your Own MC club thread! I currently only carry 1 FW, but I’m leaning heavily toward moving to 2 for the MC bag. Would be looking to go with the Speedback 3-4 and 5-6 FW heads, and a mid/mid shaft to go with it (depends on driver shaft selection, based on my OCD I like to have those match). F9 midsize grip, and would match the color with shaft (based on available options it will most likely be blue).

I want to hit them more before making my final determination but I'm definitely going with two fairway woods, a 3-4 and a 5-6. Right now my 5 wood is my go to club off the tee if I'm struggling with driver and my 3 wood is rarely used. I want to set these up as a 4 wood / 6 wood combo to see if I can get a little more distance off the tee and have an even more forgiving wood off the fairway. I have had success with the Tensei blue shafts in my current fairways but I may go with the helium shaft so they match up with the driver.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Nice! Just to confirm...is the Tour version of the F9 Speedback an option? I don't see it specifically mentioned in JB's post, but wanted to make sure.

Is it weird that I'm even more excited about the fairway wood than the driver? Extremely pumped about the F9 3-4 fw - the extra distance compared to my current setup would be huge both off the tee and on previously unreachable par 5's. Would definitely like a more penetrating ball flight, so will be interested to see what shaft the fitting recommends for me. Plus, if I can get a long-hitting hybrid to bridge the gap between this club and my 4i, I can finally put that 3rd wedge in the bag.

Nice! Just to confirm...is the Tour version of the F9 Speedback an option? I don't see it specifically mentioned in JB's post, but wanted to make sure.

Is it weird that I'm even more excited about the fairway wood than the driver? Extremely pumped about the F9 3-4 fw - the extra distance compared to my current setup would be huge both off the tee and on previously unreachable par 5's. Would definitely like a more penetrating ball flight, so will be interested to see what shaft the fitting recommends for me. Plus, if I can get a long-hitting hybrid to bridge the gap between this club and my 4i, I can finally put that 3rd wedge in the bag.

Of course. You’re a tour player.

King F9 Speedback 3Wood

UST Helium 5F4 43” 16* (3W) with graphics down

FMAX Superlite 20* (5F) 42.5”

UST Helium 5F4

I dig that Fmax selection.

I dig that Fmax selection.

I’m pretty excited about the FMax line TBH honest - I think it has an opportunity to be a beast - methinks it will fit in like a Heavenwood

I would be going with the:
F9 Speedback
Aldila NV 2K XV Green 75
UTX Black

@JB - For the Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec Blue shaft option, is it the 6 or the 7? I know your first post says the 6, but the article on the homepage talking about the F9 FW woods lists the 7 as the stock shaft.

Right now in between 2 options. Fitting will help me decide between 2 woods vs 1 wood.

2 fairways:
F9 at 13.5 yellow
Smoke 6.5
Golf Pride
F9 tour at 18.5
Smoke 6.5
Golf Pride TV

1 fairway
F9 tour at 16*
Smoke 6.5
Golf Pride TV

Are there any options for ribbed grips?

King F9 SpeedBack FW
HZRDUS Smoke
Black UTX

I would go:

King F9 SpeedBack 3
Project X HZRDUS Smoke 6.0
REL Black midsize

Q for participants: is anyone going with a different shaft than their driver choice?

Q for participants: is anyone going with a different shaft than their driver choice?

I might rethink some things. I was thinking about going with atmos for both driver and fairway, but might go smoke for both now.

Big time yes for me. I have a positive AoA with the driver so I need a lower launch with the driver but need more launch with a fairway.

Haven’t decided on either lol. It is possible though

Back