TaylorMade M5 and M6 Drivers

M5 and M6

M5 and M6

I think these look much better than the M3/M4.

I got to swing both the M5 and the M6 indoors on the sim. The appearance of both the M5 and M6 look even better in person.

Didn't have a lot of time but I could not dial in the M5. For me, the M6 was much better. Straight and good ball flight. Stock Atmos shaft felt just fine.
Couldn't accurately comment on the sound since it was indoors. But it seemed to sound a bit better than the M4.

Will be watching this thread closely for more feedback.

I got to swing both the M5 and the M6 indoors on the sim. The appearance of both the M5 and M6 look even better in person.

Didn't have a lot of time but I could not dial in the M5. For me, the M6 was much better. Straight and good ball flight. Stock Atmos shaft felt just fine.
Couldn't accurately comment on the sound since it was indoors. But it seemed to sound a bit better than the M4.

Will be watching this thread closely for more feedback.

I think the M6 would be the best fit for me as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trackman numbers from my fitting. 10.5 +1, heavy weights forward iirc. atmos blue 65s

chs 100.7
ball speed 149.5
spin 3,164
carry 232.2
total 256.7
launch 10.3
smash 1.48
aoa 0.2
path -3.1
face -1.4

i think i mentioned earlier, i didn't care for this much at all. the first swing out of the gate was 102mph club speed, 152 ball speed, carry 237, total 273, smash 1.49. then things really nose-dived. i just couldn't launch this high enough. the one shot i hit well with launch 13.8 carried 253, total 275. but everything was a miss way right. and i didn't care for the feel/sound at all. not a fan.

Spent the majority of the day hitting this with the HZRDUS yellow. Absolutely piped it early on, then started to have some control issues late. We'll ignore the plane and tired part.. all semantics really.

The sound on course is a lot louder than I expected. It's not a bad loud at all, just livelier than I remembered - And way livelier than M3. When you get some speed into the ball, you can really hear it.

All that said, I spent most of the time on the toe side of center and a little bit up on the face. Where lots of my experience with TM in the past had me coming back to the center of the fairway when I spend time out there, I feel like this one didn't seem to have as much gusto.

Will be looking forward to full launch monitor information tomorrow.

Spent the majority of the day hitting this with the HZRDUS yellow. Absolutely piped it early on, then started to have some control issues late. We'll ignore the plane and tired part.. all semantics really.

The sound on course is a lot louder than I expected. It's not a bad loud at all, just livelier than I remembered - And way livelier than M3. When you get some speed into the ball, you can really hear it.

All that said, I spent most of the time on the toe side of center and a little bit up on the face. Where lots of my experience with TM in the past had me coming back to the center of the fairway when I spend time out there, I feel like this one didn't seem to have as much gusto.

You think it's less gear effect?

You think it's less gear effect?

kind of curious to me if twist face plays a role here. I played the M1 off the toe for a long time based on the ability to start it right and bring it back across (and kill spin). Of course, 460cc head could also be playing a pretty big role here.

I think if I spent time gaming M5 I'd probably end up playing a fade as I brought my contact back to the center of the head.

Interesting your feeling on sound had changed here since you got to hit them outside in Cali too, no?

kind of curious to me if twist face plays a role here. I played the M1 off the toe for a long time based on the ability to start it right and bring it back across (and kill spin). Of course, 460cc head could also be playing a pretty big role here.

I think if I spent time gaming M5 I'd probably end up playing a fade as I brought my contact back to the center of the head.

I still believe that for amateurs twist face is more effective in the fairway and potentially hybrid than the driver where we simply don’t square the face, even on misses, like the tour players.

Well I got to play 3 days this week in 75* weather plus and my m6 will just have to crack but until then it will stay in my bag
I played them all last year and honestly I did not expect the m3 to win and I definitely didn't think the m6 would Brady the m3 by the margins it did but here's my story

I posted but to long ago a picture of me adiboost driving the green on a par4 street getting me a smoke shaft put in my m3 , well I bought the m6 3 wood with the orange tensei 65 fwy shaft, something I really never batted an eye for because I didn't think cb shaft would be for me but it was an instant success, so naturally I had to get the driver with tensei orange CK version and damn I can now duce the ball over that same par 4 , hell I made a double bogey because I hit it over the green ob the first time and then the second time I hit it in the back bunker on the right

So the moral to the story is don't listen to Rick Shields LMAO this club is hot

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Very interesting. I remember the 460 m1 being very fast off slightly toe side and being pretty damn straight.

Very interesting. I remember the 460 m1 being very fast off slightly toe side and being pretty damn straight.

Twist Face for us mortals, imo, isn’t necessarily all it’s marketed to be.

Now in fairways and hybrids....

Interesting your feeling on sound had changed here since you got to hit them outside in Cali too, no?

the only thing i can think of when it comes to this, is that when i was at TaylorMade I ONLY heard these drivers, so it's quite possible that my perception was altered a bit.

the only thing i can think of when it comes to this, is that when i was at TaylorMade I ONLY heard these drivers, so it's quite possible that my perception was altered a bit.

I think that makes a lot of sense. Much like the thoughts on the Flash out there when hitting it next to the Rogue or Epic.

I know I saw it a lot with the EXS when going from hitting it solo to then hitting it next to the Cortex and Max the next day.

I think that makes a lot of sense. Much like the thoughts on the Flash out there when hitting it next to the Rogue or Epic.

I know I saw it a lot with the EXS when going from hitting it solo to then hitting it next to the Cortex and Max the next day.

Oh absolutely. Cortex sound was waaay different from a lot of the others today.

Twist Face for us mortals, imo, isn’t necessarily all it’s marketed to be.

Now in fairways and hybrids....
I agree with your sentiment with twist face. For people like me who have inconsistent path and face control the tech just can't do much

I agree with your sentiment with twist face. For people like me who have inconsistent path and face control the tech just can't do much

Other than make me aloud go “WHAT THE EFF!?!?” haha

Now, in the M5 fairway, I’m a massive fan.

that is so true. when i had m3 in the bag, i would see some crazy ball flight relative to strike point. i’ve been playing golf for 20 years, and my brain could not comprehend what was happening sometimes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

One thing I'm sure about...

If i were to ever game one of these drivers, I'd play a fade 100% of the time and would not rely on my drive to draw. Now, I can absolutely create draws, no question -- but the fade is just comfortable.

I've gotta give the fw a good look
One thing I'm sure about...

If i were to ever game one of these drivers, I'd play a fade 100% of the time and would not rely on my drive to draw. Now, I can absolutely create draws, no question -- but the fade is just comfortable.
I can imagine some monster power fades

finally got to hit the m5 outside and was quite impressed. I dont have numbers yet but pretty sure this will be replacing the ts3... My miss is high on the toe and yesterday it seemed to stay pretty dead straight online instead of a huge draw like my miss on the ts3

In simulators the distances for both clubs were pretty close. With the ts3 I have a heavier, stout shaft that allows me to play a nice fade with sub 2500 spin and good control. The m5 is a lighter counterbalanced shaft and it helps me turn the club over to hit a nice draw that hasn't seem to get out of control at all. I feel the m5 has potential for more distance than the ts3. In 4+ months with the ts3 my farthest driver was 307.. the m5 already put one out at 318

Right now dispersion is better with ts3 but with practice and tweaking I'm convinced the m5 will be the way to go

Some indoor numbers from yesterday of m5 vs ts3...

Ts3 is much less forgiving for me than the m5 in terms of mishits, but I've been more accurate with the ts3 since its a heavier weighted shaft and allows me to play a baby fade. The m5 right now I have a habit of hitting hooks which is not my normal flight. I do have a counterbalanced shaft in the m5 and think that has something to do with it. Until it gets warm outside and I can see true ball flight right now I wouldn't say one is better than the other. M5 has the long drive right now at 321 vs 310 for the ts3

Like most of the youtube reviews have shown I don't find the m5 faster, but it launches higher and spin is low resulting in better distance

M5:

swing speed- 110.4
ball speed- 156.1
launch- 15
backspin- 2128
carry- 273.2
total- 294.2

TS3:

swing speed- 109.0
ball speed- 156.1
launch- 14.1
backspin- 2310
carry- 269.4
total- 291.8

Last edited:
Any updates on the M5 cracks? I’m literally waiting on a driver fitting, and holding off until a possible V2. :bulgy-eyes:

Well I got to play 3 days this week in 75* weather plus and my m6 will just have to crack but until then it will stay in my bag
I played them all last year and honestly I did not expect the m3 to win and I definitely didn't think the m6 would Brady the m3 by the margins it did but here's my story

I posted but to long ago a picture of me adiboost driving the green on a par4 street getting me a smoke shaft put in my m3 , well I bought the m6 3 wood with the orange tensei 65 fwy shaft, something I really never batted an eye for because I didn't think cb shaft would be for me but it was an instant success, so naturally I had to get the driver with tensei orange CK version and damn I can now duce the ball over that same par 4 , hell I made a double bogey because I hit it over the green ob the first time and then the second time I hit it in the back bunker on the right

So the moral to the story is don't listen to Rick Shields LMAO this club is hot

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I thought Rick Shiels problem with the club was that it was too hot for most golfers. It was so low spin there would be no forgiveness and some would have trouble keeping it in the air. He hit his longest individual drive so far with an M5, but his misses went way left.

I thought Rick Shiels problem with the club was that it was too hot for most golfers. It was so low spin there would be no forgiveness and some would have trouble keeping it in the air. He hit his longest individual drive so far with an M5, but his misses went way left.

It is very low spin and high launching, but I love mine! Outperforms everything else I've tested so far. I see why Rick Shiels made the claims about possibly being difficult to control for some people, but personally I haven't had an issue yet. Ive had TM drivers for the last 14 years and this is the first weight track I feel makes a difference in flight

It’s funny how certain tech pushes or pulls us in directions to try it or not.

For me, since TwistFace the TM drivers have been a no no regardless of how much I want to hit them because I know with my slightly open face at impact, it’s just going to exacerbate my miss instead of helping it.

Now, put it in a fairway or hybrid where I square to close the face? Now it’s viable for me.

Funny game.

Back