TaylorMade M5 and M6 Drivers

DISCLAIMER - I haven't watched the Rick Shiels video or read the TM website blurb

Based on what little I have read, are they hinting that the 'everyone gets faster' line implies to people who don't hit the centre of the driver on every shot?
From what I understand, the sweetspot on every driver these days is pretty much at the limit, and it is off-centre hits where the loss in ball speed is now less and less?

I think a lot of people are missing the point of "Everyone gets faster" at least they way it was presented to me. This is about making sure every head is as fast as possible, and as close as possible to the legal limit. That is why I think this image is so good.

1.png

That photo isn't just about TaylorMade vs the world, it's about drivers before this release. They talked about the spicy or hot heads effectively getting allocated as tour drivers, and a big concern was about a golfer going to a fitting and saying "I want that driver" and getting a different experience once their order came in. It's about making every experience the same, and as strong as possible.

Talking with Brian Bazzel who is the VP of Product Creation at TaylorMade, he made a point of saying even a simple finish change on the top of the head (think satin vs gloss) has an impact on the way a head closes in or departs COR. It's pretty wild.

if i'm understanding it correctly, a big part part of the 5/6 story is specifically tuning each individual head that goes to market. kind of like saying everyone is now getting a "tour issue" head because of the care and attention that is going into each individual unit. if that's the case, i think that's a really big deal.

if i'm understanding it correctly, a big part part of the 5/6 story is specifically tuning each individual head that goes to market. kind of like saying everyone is now getting a "tour issue" head because of the care and attention that is going into each individual unit. if that's the case, i think that's a really big deal.

That's my takeaway. Each head is very close to the same number. I was extremely excited about it as it was laid out.

Great write-up Dan. Once again it looks like TM packed a ton of tech into the heads. I also like the 435CC offering for less spin and more work-ability.

I like the name of the Hammerhead 2.0 tech as well. They also have fun names for their stuff at TM

The next topic I want to talk about is my overall thoughts on the head progression from a visual standpoint, and from an audible standpoint.

Both are wildly improved. Pushing the carbon crown further forward, and the satin profile -- It's SO good, and clean at address. I love the TM align aid on the carbon, and the satin profile is soooo strong.

In moving into sound, that was a huge sticking point for me as compared to to the progression from M1 to M3. For short, the M1 from 2017 was about as close to my limit as I've ever been from a distance standpoint (sneaking into the 290 carry range on GC2), and it flat out sounded livelier than M3. Not that someone couldn't swap easier from another Manufacturer because quieter and not as rich was definitely a trend going around, but moving from one head to the other would have never worked for me.

I feel totally different with M5, especially with the compact head. I could make that switch today and not think twice about it. The sound, head profile, visuals, and inevitable 170+ ball speed is pretty much everything I could ask for, in a package that rarely pushes me into an unplayable spin range. I was smitten.

I think a lot of people are missing the point of "Everyone gets faster" at least they way it was presented to me. This is about making sure every head is as fast as possible, and as close as possible to the legal limit. That is why I think this image is so good.

1.png

That photo isn't just about TaylorMade vs the world, it's about drivers before this release. They talked about the spicy or hot heads effectively getting allocated as tour drivers, and a big concern was about a golfer going to a fitting and saying "I want that driver" and getting a different experience once their order came in. It's about making every experience the same, and as strong as possible.

Talking with Brian Bazzel who is the VP of Product Creation at TaylorMade, he made a point of saying even a simple finish change on the top of the head (think satin vs gloss) has an impact on the way a head closes in or departs COR. It's pretty wild.

Boom. Knowledge.

That's my takeaway. Each head is very close to the same number. I was extremely excited about it as it was laid out.

Was the M5 Tour similar in shape and face height to the M3 440?

There’s a couple of the vids out there that have some shots of the head cut open to see. It’s pretty cool.

it does look pretty cool on the inside. Not at all what I imagined.

DISCLAIMER - I haven't watched the Rick Shiels video or read the TM website blurb

Based on what little I have read, are they hinting that the 'everyone gets faster' line implies to people who don't hit the centre of the driver on every shot?
From what I understand, the sweetspot on every driver these days is pretty much at the limit, and it is off-centre hits where the loss in ball speed is now less and less?

Actually, the outer edges were alloweto be above the legal limit until recently, or weren’t measured, so now, the whole face has to meet the CT standard.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

it does look pretty cool on the inside. Not at all what I imagined.

Same here. Much less going on in there than I expected. No doubt it's effective. I just was expecting to see the entire face covered in this resin.

I thought the story behind it was that due to manufacturing tolerances, it was impossible to gaurantee the face was to the limit, even in the center. By them creating the face to be illegally hot, they can control the COR and dial it back right to the limit. So, an off the rack driver may have measured 235 on CT or 245 (just throwing out numbers as an example). Now they can gaurantee that each driver head on the shelf to be a certain number (don't know what max CT is).

I was told in a shop yesterday the same thing. They said the faces are too hot and the material is added to get it under the legal limit not to increase COR.

Same here. Much less going on in there than I expected. No doubt it's effective. I just was expecting to see the entire face covered in this resin.

Is it bad that it isn't? The reason for resin is to get it to the right number vs the legal limit. The driver itself sounds excellent which is about the only other thing they could do with Resin I guess? They cannot increase the COR any more than it is.

That is pretty exciting. Love Dan's excitement on the sound and good to hear that these may be easier to get airborn. Very cool stuff here by TM.

First Taylormade drivers to catch my attention in awhile. Great info, Dan.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Was the M5 Tour similar in shape and face height to the M3 440?

That's a really tough question to answer. My 440 head was thousands of miles away and I've been reviewing a few different drivers since gaming the M1.

Shape was compact, decent height -- There's not much remarkable about a 435cc head. It's more about the way it rips through the air for me vs a 460cc.

Thank you for the great write up and those look fantastic. The technology that is out in golf equipment just amazes me. We should have a lot of demo days coming up around here so i am going to try all that i can.

That is pretty exciting. Love Dan's excitement on the sound and good to hear that these may be easier to get airborn. Very cool stuff here by TM.

Significantly different experience from M5 to M6. We had some fun with the M6 but it was way too high for me (which is very good).

Not a fan. Don’t like my clubs to look like they were made for Captain America in an avengers movie. Did they try to match the shield? Lol.

They’ll drop a new one in July then right making these obsolete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not a fan. Don’t like my clubs to look like they were made for Captain America in an avengers movie. Did they try to match the shield? Lol.

They’ll drop a new one in July then right making these obsolete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Past couple of years Taylormade has been on the 12 month release cycle.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

It's going to be very fun to try out the M6. Can't wait.

I would like to try the M5 vs the Cortex. I like the looks and information about both.

@canadan I’m curious if the screws influenced any data on Foresight. Metallic, placement, all seems like it could give it fits. Did Rick mention anything?

Is it bad that it isn't? The reason for resin is to get it to the right number vs the legal limit. The driver itself sounds excellent which is about the only other thing they could do with Resin I guess? They cannot increase the COR any more than it is.
No, not at all bad. I just had a different vision in my mind when I heard there would be resin behind the face. I like what they've done. Innovative thinking. I wasn't knocking it. Just pointing out the fact that it is different than I envisioned.

No, not at all bad. I just had a different vision in my mind when I heard there would be resin behind the face. I like what they've done. Innovative thinking. I wasn't knocking it. Just pointing out the fact that it is different than I envisioned.

I really enjoyed some of the ideas people had - And when I saw it I'll admit I didn't know what the heck was going on either!

@canadan I’m curious if the screws influenced any data on Foresight. Metallic, placement, all seems like it could give it fits. Did Rick mention anything?

That is an awesome question, and no, we didn't chat about it. My time on the GCQuad was limited to a 15-20 minute breakout session which was mostly me trying to loosen up in front of 10 fitters from around the globe watching me hit (Yikes!!!). Off a plane swing was on point.

Back