TaylorMade M5 and M6 Drivers

Great write-up Dan. I am really intrigued by the 435cc M5. Hope to be able to give it a try one day. The tech in both heads sounds amazing.

Past couple of years Taylormade has been on the 12 month release cycle.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

We’ll see. They can do anything they want no matter what anyone says, does or expects. Expect the unexpected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A couple of tunes later, and a move to the 435cc head, we finished at 168.5mph which is very impressive for me. I did find it weird that Trackman had my swing speed at around 113, while the GCQuad had it at 116-117. I wish I'd spent the majority of the time on the Quad because calculations rarely favor my swing. Either way, it was a blast. Chasing that number has always been something I've wanted to do, and if i can get there, will really maximize my distance. We all agreed that with my swing, the benefits of 435cc with the way I square at impact seem to outweigh the need for extra CCs in forgiveness. I tend to agree, as my contact doesn't stray too far -- But golfers who have contact that strays from a certain location will benefit greatly from the 460 profile.

Trackman and GC Quad measure club head speed differently based on the part of the club head that is measured. GC Quad will read 2-4 mph higher than Trackman at that speed. So the "optimal" smash factor on Trackman is 1.5 while on GC Quad it is 1.45.

interesting that they reference the obsolete COR and not CT

The drivers look great. Not sure how they would hold up with repeated hits off the heal/toe as is quite common for me

Past couple of years Taylormade has been on the 12 month release cycle.

I never bother even commenting on release cycle nonsense anymore. There is no rational discussion to be had unfortunately.

I never bother even commenting on release cycle nonsense anymore. There is no rational discussion to be had unfortunately.
It's so true. Facts don't matter to some.

Very interesting stuff and a great write up. Seems like a lot of THPers are going to have some fun with this driver this year.

The drivers look great. Not sure how they would hold up with repeated hits off the heal/toe as is quite common for me

my main worry seeing a design like this, is that eventually something is going to compress and soften and loosen and rattle around

the "try to make every head equal" aka decrease tolerances has been done before and is currently being done, albeit in a much different way

my main worry seeing a design like this, is that eventually something is going to compress and soften and loosen and rattle around

the "try to make every head equal" aka decrease tolerances has been done before and is currently being done, albeit in a much different way

For someone who never hits the ball in the same location twice this is a no go for me from the start.

Great stuff, Dan. This release from TM has my attention. Add me to the list of folks who want to hit the 435 head.

I love the sole look of the M5
[video=youtube;yMKZVFc_l-k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMKZVFc_l-k[/video]

I'm willing to try and have one.

In today's market, release cycles are more inclined to enhance a product line as opposed to replace. The Epic and Rogue lines are a good example of this. Arnett and Co. were rather adamant that the Rogue was not meant to "replace" the Epic, but rather offer options to a different player demographic.

Same can be said for other release cycles as well. There are plenty of golfers who passed on the M3/M4, but who may be in the market for the M5/M6. It would be foolish in some cases for a company to release a new iteration every other year, as they risk missing out on a demographic who is ready to buy today and not tomorrow.

Small change cosmetically, but I like that they lessened the width of the silver on the crown. I didn't much care for that look on the earlier versions, but I like it now.

Is it just me, or are the TM M6 and Cobra F9 somewhat similar look sole wise down the center(if you ignore the visible weight on the F9)?

The M5 to me, looks a bit busy with the channels, but the M6 is looking a bit more understated which I like.

Sounds like the usual TM marketing hype to me. That said, I’m due a new driver, and as I get free fittings with TM through my NCGA membership, I shall give these a go. As a low spin player, the talk of a low spin driver worries me somewhat, but then again, the P790’s I use are supposed to be low spin and these are the best irons I’ve ever gamed. I shall try these out with an open mind.

2019 - the year of the driver

---and I can't wait!

I get it, I really do, but the irony here is pretty good.

Those red face dots mean speed within their marketing story, but the tech story behind them is that they really seal a compartment that makes the face effectively slower.

Its all a pretty brilliant concept, I kind of liken it to Evnroll grooves making the face more consistent. I definitely don't mean to say its not a cool piece of tech, but I just enjoy the contrast here.

did they really say DJ getting 185/187 bs with new driver in the bag?

These are certainly very, very buzz worthy. Screw your face could be a great tag line :alien:

In any event, I can't wait to try them out. The tech story around it and the quality aspect is really intriguing.

These are certainly very, very buzz worthy. Screw your face could be a great tag line :alien:

In any event, I can't wait to try them out. The tech story around it and the quality aspect is really intriguing.

I think your meant: "Screw your TWIST face could be a great tag line" :p

A lot of tech features (aesthetically) are looking similar to one another from one company to the next. It's a trend that is natural, but still interesting.

For example, who can tell me what current driver this mold depicts in its early design?

2x2_Cortex1.jpg

My worry with these are the low spin. I’ve watched 4 or so Youtubers and they ranged in the 1500-1900 spin range. Granted they did claim it launches higher than say the M3/4. But as a mere mortal 90mph low spin guy how do I keep this in the air. Some Current 12/13,5 don’t always launch high enough for me with enough spin. Ugh

My worry with these are the low spin. I’ve watched 4 or so Youtubers and they ranged in the 1500-1900 spin range. Granted they did claim it launches higher than say the M3/4. But as a mere mortal 90mph low spin guy how do I keep this in the air. Some Current 12/13,5 don’t always launch high enough for me with enough spin. Ugh

it's back to the #LoftUp days

TaylorMade M5 and M6 Drivers

it's back to the #LoftUp days

Already playing an M3 at 12*. They don’t make anything higher lofted lol.
Out of options. And I play what I believe are higher launching spinnier shafts too.

Actually to be fair the M3 12* works fine as the face sits more open than any other driver I’ve tried. That’s very key for me as I get real handsy at impact and throw the face shut delofting the club.

For example I built a ping g812 15* head with the same shaft as my M3 12* and I launch the M3 higher because of the open (M3) Vs closed face (G812) angle.

Back