TaylorMade M5 and M6 Drivers

GolferGal

Chick Norris
Boss Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
A few weeks ago, THP writer Canadan had a chance to go to TaylorMade and learn all about their new M5 and M6 drivers for 2019, and you can read all about the tech and specs of these drivers in his article here

3.png

2.jpg

1.png

Great info Dan, Im liking the sounds of the faster speed and the then added forgiveness of the M6

They look cool at address and from the bottom, not sure about the screws though. Will have to see it in person.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Wow - Sounds like there is some serious engineering going on with these heads.
Do I read correctly and assume correctly that every head will be tested before being release for sale "4.A proprietary algorithm to tune each head"?

I'm not sure I understand this description:
Included in the 2019 M6 release will be a “D-Type” head that makes the face appear more open, leading to a more closed face at impact"
Not sure how a face appearing more open would lead to more closed face at impact. Maybe it's the Twist Face working?

Is the "D-Type" a "Draw" Model"

Wow - Sounds like there is some serious engineering going on with these heads.
Do I read correctly and assume correctly that every head will be tested before being release for sale "4.A proprietary algorithm to tune each head"?

I'm not sure I understand this description:
Included in the 2019 M6 release will be a “D-Type” head that makes the face appear more open, leading to a more closed face at impact"
Not sure how a face appearing more open would lead to more closed face at impact. Maybe it's the Twist Face working?

Is the "D-Type" a "Draw" Model"

Heres some info from TM's site on the M6 D model

M6 D-TYPE DRIVER

SPEED INJECTED FOR MAXIMUM FORGIVENESS WITH A DRAW

JUICED-UP WITH SPEED INJECTED TWIST FACE
Every M6 D-Type driver head has been individually injected to reach the maximum legal limit of ball speed. Step up to the tee with the confidence of having a draw-biased driver with Tour-caliber speed—hit it far and play a draw with M6 D-Type.

INJECTED FOR SPEED™

• Every head is individually speed tested and injected with tuning resin to optimize COR across the entire face

• Speed Injection process is designed to deliver maximum ball speed and distance every time for every player

TWIST FACE™

• Revolutionary new face curvature with a corrective face angle on off center hits, engineered to reduce side spin and deliver straighter shots

• Twist Face provides more loft in the high toe and less loft in the low-heel to produce more consistent spin where golfers commonly mis-hit

AERODYNAMIC CARBON SOLE DESIGN WITH "INERTIA GENERATOR"

• Sleek aerodynamic shaping provides increased clubhead speed for more distance • Full carbon sole construction allows for increased discretionary mass placed low and back for maximum MOI and low CG

• Inertia Generator stores 46g of weight low and back for maximum forgiveness

DRAW-BIASED DESIGN

• The two-tone crown cosmetics have been altered to make the face angle appear more open, resulting in a more closed face at impact

“The M6 D-Type driver delivers the incredible performance of the M6 driver in a more draw-biased and easy-to-launch package. This driver is engineered to help golfers avoid the right side of the golf course and hit it farther off the tee than they ever have before"

I watched Rick Shiels review this morning and his ball speed was not any faster with these drivers with his swing speed. He did gain yardage and he is attributing that to the lower spin.

I like the look. No doubt will give these a shot in my driver fitting this spring.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

“Where the M4 weighting was quite higher, the M6 drops around 46 grams to help promote serious forgiveness.”

Whoa there. 46 grams? Good grief

Wonder if the Even Flo max carry shaft is similar to the HZRDUS T800.

I like them having a 435 cc head in M5. I don’t think the rear track will make a huge difference on lateral dispersion. They look good at address.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great write up Dan
This is going to be a hard ponder come February. I struggle mightily with the driver so the gains in forgiveness is something that has me seriously intrigued.

I am not feeling the looks to be honest, but seeing as my instructor will have them in soon I will no doubt give them a hit and see how they perform compared to my current driver

Of all of the M-line drivers, the 2016 M2 is still the one that gave me the best results from what I have tried

I'm interested to see more numbers on the ball speed compared to previous models. The few reviews I've watched so far didn't see any noticeable difference.

That 435cc M5 is calling out to me. Please point me in the direction of the TaylorMade Event signup! :blob:

It seems like the marketing is going to focus on the fact that every single driver sent to market will be tuned out to reach the max legal limit of ball speed. I really like the idea of a campaign like that but its going to be a heck of a hard sell moving forward if they're claiming they reached the threshold that the USGA will allow.

I am more partial to the looks of the M6 personally. I find it a little amusing that Rick Shiels gained basically no ball speed. His spin numbers were also borderline unplayable. While great for distance, you would have to be an insane ball striker to consistently play a shot with that low of spin.

I am personally going with the Epic Flash (already put money down). So, I have to admit that I was a little nervous. If he would have seen a massive jump in ball speed, I may have had to rethink my decision. At the very least, as long as the Epic Flash is just as long as the Rogue and Epic, I am not leaving anything on the table by not playing the new TM drivers.

that m6 sole looks very similar to the speedback sole. and holy reduction in weight in the m6! 46g lighter sounds like a real challenge in swingweighting.

between the two, i think m6 is more my speed so i would be curious to try it.

is it just me, or is there little to no copy discussing the fact that there are freaking SCREWS on the face of the driver?! why are they there?

i hadn't heard of the atmos orange shaft before. i'd be curious to learn more about it as an option in the m6.

I am more partial to the looks of the M6 personally. I find it a little amusing that Rick Shiels gained basically no ball speed. His spin numbers were also borderline unplayable. While great for distance, you would have to be an insane ball striker to consistently play a shot with that low of spin.

I am personally going with the Epic Flash (already put money down). So, I have to admit that I was a little nervous. If he would have seen a massive jump in ball speed, I may have had to rethink my decision. At the very least, as long as the Epic Flash is just as long as the Rogue and Epic, I am not leaving anything on the table by not playing the new TM drivers.

Thats also just one person's experience with it. Either way you go, Im sure youll be happy, but dont get hung up on one persons thoughts, no matter who it is or what the product is. Shiels may see something wonky with the new Callaway driver too, doesnt mean its not good product.

that m6 sole looks very similar to the speedback sole. and holy reduction in weight in the m6! 46g lighter sounds like a real challenge in swingweighting.

is it just me, or is there little to no copy discussing the fact that there are freaking SCREWS on the face of the driver?! why are they there?

i hadn't heard of the atmos orange shaft before. i'd be curious to learn more about it as an option in the m6.

I think the screws are there to hold the resin injection in place on the inside of the face of the driver head. I think they're much less interesting than we all initially thought

Man, 435cc is calling me.

They are where they inject the face of the driver to pull it back to meet the legal limits

“Where the M4 weighting was quite higher, the M6 drops around 46 grams to help promote serious forgiveness.”

Whoa there. 46 grams? Good grief

We are definitely in the carbon fiber era. Just wild!

I think the screws are there to hold the resin injection in place on the inside of the face of the driver head. I think they're much less interesting than we all initially thought

Very much so. And my miss will beat that heel screw into oblivion so I hope it would be forgiving haha

The soles look WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY better than the M3/M4. Heck, they look better than the 2017 M1/M2 as well. It sounds like they're bringing some real tech changes this year also, I kinda thought TwistFace was a bit of a stretch for a tech story.

I'm undecided on the crown. I really liked the original M1/M2 crown, and I've been increasingly more and more disappointed with each release since.

Very much so. And my miss will beat that heel screw into oblivion so I hope it would be forgiving haha

If you miss that far on the heel, no driver is saving you, no matter the tech. Lol

It seems like the marketing is going to focus on the fact that every single driver sent to market will be tuned out to reach the max legal limit of ball speed. I really like the idea of a campaign like that but its going to be a heck of a hard sell moving forward if they're claiming they reached the threshold that the USGA will allow.

This is a very good point.

They must have an idea in mind but it will be very interesting to see.

Back