TaylorMade M5 and M6 Drivers

I want to hit.

Very much so. And my miss will beat that heel screw into oblivion so I hope it would be forgiving haha

From a true sense I would say the screws are there to remind and show people that resin is in place. Visual tech works. Similar to the way jailbreak is shown on the sole.

I like the looks at address. The bottom of the M6 is interesting for sure.

From a true sense I would say the screws are there to remind and show people that resin is in place. Visual tech works. Similar to the way jailbreak is shown on the sole.

Visual tech always works....as long as it isn’t Scotty Detour type visible tech lmao

Thats also just one person's experience with it. Either way you go, Im sure youll be happy, but dont get hung up on one persons thoughts, no matter who it is or what the product is. Shiels may see something wonky with the new Callaway driver too, doesnt mean its not good product.

Oh, I know. I have been needlessly replacing drivers on a yearly basis for far too long. I am not trying to say it's not a good product. TM makes damn fine drivers. My thought was that if he saw a 2-3 mph increase in ball speed due to the new face being right at the limit where previous models were not able to get there due to manufacturing tolerances, it would have told me that the tech and all the marketing hype around it was huge. While there is no doubt this driver will perform admirably, at first glance, it doesn't appear that this new tech actually guarantees any additional speed. Of course, there is always the conspiracy theory that the reviewers are getting heads right at the limit to help push clubs. If that were the case, it would explain why he wouldn't see any gains vs. the other reviewed heads he has done.

My decision to go Callaway is mostly due to the fact that I have shafts that I like with Callaway tips already. Also to the fact that Callaway drivers have consistently worked well for me in the past. I have strayed to other drivers but they always seem to pull me back in. I am sure there are those with the same thought on the TM side of the fence.

I really like the looks. Big upgrades at address and at the sole. Also like the T track over the Y (just makes more sense to me). The M6 has more of a tech story in my eyes with the low and deep CG like the Cobra F9.

I am a little underwhelmed at stock shaft options (not the Pro version of the CK or the TS on the Atmos) and think others have passed TM by there, but they may be a good fit for a wide portion of the population. It takes a little bit away from the value proposition, especially when raising prices.

Lastly, I think the speed story may be a bit of a risk. If the heads aren't any faster than prior generation TM drivers, it will make it feel like they have maxed out their tech in terms of ball speed. Any word on if stock shaft lengths are longer? That would lessen the risk for them.

Overall, more positive than negative with this release for me. I like the look enough, and had an overall positive experience with the 17 TM M1. Just thought that it lacked a bit of speed. If their new face technology solves that it could be a very good performer for me.

Provides shelf appeal. I didn't watch the DVD2 season, but from what I hear, that was a big topic of discussion.

Provides shelf appeal. I didn't watch the DVD2 season, but from what I hear, that was a big topic of discussion.

Yep, the prez mentioned it pretty much every single episode. It matters.

as a lower launch, lower spin player, wouldn't this model work against you?

Possibly, possibly not. The fun is in the trying and finding out.

Sooooo much fun.

that m6 sole looks very similar to the speedback sole. and holy reduction in weight in the m6! 46g lighter sounds like a real challenge in swingweighting.

between the two, i think m6 is more my speed so i would be curious to try it.

is it just me, or is there little to no copy discussing the fact that there are freaking SCREWS on the face of the driver?! why are they there?

i hadn't heard of the atmos orange shaft before. i'd be curious to learn more about it as an option in the m6.

Similar to the irons or UDi that have screws out on the toe, they are there to allow TaylorMade to inject a varying amount of resin into each location to tune the driver right near the legal limit. I should have a bit more information on it in a bit to really dive into the value.

As with all drivers, go through a fitting, but it is funny that TM’s marketing line of “everyone gets faster” was immediately dispelled by Rick Shiels showing no higher ball speeds vs M3/M4. When they say “everyone”, it should mean everyone... With the launch and spin he was getting, looks like TM should’ve marketed toward their holy grail of 17* launch, and 1700 spin....
Lord knows, it’s impossible for “everyone” to be faster these days, so why they went that route, I have NO idea.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

As with all drivers, go through a fitting, but it is funny that TM’s marketing line of “everyone gets faster” was immediately dispelled by Rick Shiels showing no higher ball speeds vs M3/M4. When they say “everyone”, it should mean everyone... With the launch and spin he was getting, looks like TM should’ve marketed toward their holy grail of 17* launch, and 1700 spin....
Lord knows, it’s impossible for “everyone” to be faster these days, so why they went that route, I have NO idea.

Because good, bad, indifferent...it gets people TALKING and that’s a win for any company.

Similar to the irons or UDi that have screws out on the toe, they are there to allow TaylorMade to inject a varying amount of resin into each location to tune the driver right near the legal limit. I should have a bit more information on it in a bit to really dive into the value.
So are the holes simply an elite could into the driver head? I would really love to see a deconstructed head to see what it's all about under the hood.

So are the holes simply an elite could into the driver head? I would really love to see a deconstructed head to see what it's all about under the hood.

There’s a couple of the vids out there that have some shots of the head cut open to see. It’s pretty cool.

I had an absolute blast hitting the M5 and M6 at the Kingdom a few weeks ago. I'll start in here with a few stories, first being my actual fitting with the driver of choice.

After fighting the elements for a while, I got a chance to spend time with some great fitters from the UK, Sweden, and France (so cool). We started with the M5 and after a while, and my swing catching up with me, we noticed the ball speed slowly improving... 163.. 164... 165... 166... Dan, the primary fitter, decided we should start to chase 170, and of course I was fully down for it.

A couple of tunes later, and a move to the 435cc head, we finished at 168.5mph which is very impressive for me. I did find it weird that Trackman had my swing speed at around 113, while the GCQuad had it at 116-117. I wish I'd spent the majority of the time on the Quad because calculations rarely favor my swing. Either way, it was a blast. Chasing that number has always been something I've wanted to do, and if i can get there, will really maximize my distance. We all agreed that with my swing, the benefits of 435cc with the way I square at impact seem to outweigh the need for extra CCs in forgiveness. I tend to agree, as my contact doesn't stray too far -- But golfers who have contact that strays from a certain location will benefit greatly from the 460 profile.

DISCLAIMER - I haven't watched the Rick Shiels video or read the TM website blurb

Based on what little I have read, are they hinting that the 'everyone gets faster' line implies to people who don't hit the centre of the driver on every shot?
From what I understand, the sweetspot on every driver these days is pretty much at the limit, and it is off-centre hits where the loss in ball speed is now less and less?

Glad you asked, as I just got confirmation that I could share a photo.

Basically, each location has a cavity that is filled with a certain amount of resin. No two heads are the same, and as these photos show, the difference between the two can be great or small. It's all about tuning to that number using their algorithm. It is then sealed and glued with these screws, which have no genuine impact on flight according to their data.

ae15e0ea3bd47afe1a81cd5f1d4bddc6.jpg

bccffcbb2e7eab8f86938cc77515c7e1.jpg

There’s a couple of the vids out there that have some shots of the head cut open to see. It’s pretty cool.
I'll have to check them out this evening. It's too hard to look like I'm working when watching videos. Reading a forum is much easier to get away with :)

If you miss that far on the heel, no driver is saving you, no matter the tech. Lol

I'll miss that far on the heel from time to time, and I fully expect the result to be awful, but with this driver, I wonder if it would hold up

Glad you asked, as I just got confirmation that I could share a photo.

Basically, each location has a cavity that is filled with a certain amount of resin. No two heads are the same, and as these photos show, the difference between the two can be great or small. It's all about tuning to that number using their algorithm. It is then sealed and glued with these screws, which have no genuine impact on flight according to their data.

ae15e0ea3bd47afe1a81cd5f1d4bddc6.jpg

bccffcbb2e7eab8f86938cc77515c7e1.jpg

Was hoping you’d be able to share something like these since other outlets are, very effing cool to see.

DISCLAIMER - I haven't watched the Rick Shiels video or read the TM website blurb

Based on what little I have read, are they hinting that the 'everyone gets faster' line implies to people who don't hit the centre of the driver on every shot?
From what I understand, the sweetspot on every driver these days is pretty much at the limit, and it is off-centre hits where the loss in ball speed is now less and less?
I thought the story behind it was that due to manufacturing tolerances, it was impossible to gaurantee the face was to the limit, even in the center. By them creating the face to be illegally hot, they can control the COR and dial it back right to the limit. So, an off the rack driver may have measured 235 on CT or 245 (just throwing out numbers as an example). Now they can gaurantee that each driver head on the shelf to be a certain number (don't know what max CT is).

Ball speed gains will differ from one player to the next. From what I can tell the bigger story with these drivers are the improved launch characteristics. Sure, you can fit to launch with any driver, but combined with optimal ball speed for your swing is a deadly combo.

I wouldn't expect to see massive gains from any OEM this year, to be honest.

I thought the story behind it was that due to manufacturing tolerances, it was impossible to gaurantee the face was to the limit, even in the center. By them creating the face to be illegally hot, they can control the COR and dial it back right to the limit. So, an off the rack driver may have measured 235 on CT or 245 (just throwing out numbers as an example). Now they can gaurantee that each driver head on the shelf to be a certain number (don't know what max CT is).

Fwiw that is the same reason that cobra uses the milled face. It’s about tolerances. Eliminating them by design.

Back