TaylorMade M5 and M6 Drivers

Hey Donny - can you post a pic of the settings?

bri,
My miss was a snapper hook so we tried to eliminate that left side. During the fitting i was finally settled on a 5 yd fade. I added the 4gm and that is the one in the FADE slot. I have the 2 10gm in the center. Now i am virtually straight and with only the 4gm, can still turn a slight draw if i want....but the flight Saturday was a piercing straight ballet of roll out.

May not work for everyone, but was definitely working for me

Attachments

• IMG_8306.JPG
    IMG_8306.JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 5
Well hello there...

3a813dd866b8b9dfeed06bcc2ecedd33.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

M5 was delivered today and I just got off the range with it. Was testing between 3 shafts as well as the M3 head. Visually I actually prefer the look of the M3.

First things first...the M5 sound is crazy muted. The first ball I hit I was like "wow that's different"?! Can't say I've ever heard (or not heard) a driver like this before. I kinda like it but it doesn't audibly register that you nutted one like the M3 does. I don't like or dislike that, it's simply different.

Second, question for any of you...is the M5 way more fade biased than the M3? Seems I had a lot more balls pushing to the right with M5 but I honestly couldn't tell if it was my swing or the head.

Third, I didn't notice that the M5 was any longer than the M3. I hit equally long shots with both. Biggest difference I saw at all was between the shafts I was testing and that was just in launch angle and peak height. Interestingly distance was essentially the same with the shafts it was really just a matter of launch and height. I'd need to get on a monitor and see real numbers to tell actual distance and spin. Visually to my eye however I didn't see any distance difference on well struck shots between either the M3 or M5 heads. Unfortunately my SkyTrak doesn't seem to do a great job with picking up my Driver shots so I'm not sure I'll ever see any real numbers on ball speed between the heads.

If any of you have hit M3 and M5 back to back on a monitor I'd be interested to see if you saw more ball speed from the M5 and if so what is your swing speed. I only get up to around 92-95mph so I'm fairly slow and not sure at that speed I'd ever see a difference.

Interested if anybody can answer my questions above. Thanks!

Second, question for any of you...is the M5 way more fade biased than the M3? Seems I had a lot more balls pushing to the right with M5 but I honestly couldn't tell if it was my swing or the head.

I have no experience with the M3, but can say the M5 is one of the more fade biased clubs I have hit over the past 2 years.

I took out both the m5 and m6 demos for a round of golf tonight. I’ve been in a pretty serious driver funk for the last month or so with my driver and just need to move on from it. I thought the m6 was a pretty good driver but just not for me. The ball flight looked off to me and a little shorter than the m5. But the m5 was special! I fell in love with it after the first swing and the hearing the sound that it makes. It is up there with the cobra Ltd for my favorite sounding driver of all time. I then went on to hit 12/13 fwys which is not something that exists in my game. No matter the wind or mishits this thing just wants to go dead straight. I will soon be an owner of an m5 I’m just hoping that they will sell me the demo because retail price is a little hard to swallow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have no experience with the M3, but can say the M5 is one of the more fade biased clubs I have hit over the past 2 years.

It’s definitely shown to be more fade oriented for me as well. Not the most for me, but it’s definitively there.

It’s definitely shown to be more fade oriented for me as well. Not the most for me, but it’s definitively there.

I play a fade with my driver and the m5 prefers to go right definitely, not much, but a lot harder to make it go left.... Logically this doesn't make sense but ive found the m5 to go straighter for me by putting one weight in the toe. I have one weight toe side, one all the way up front (low spin), and two small pieces of lead tape low toe side also.

I might be using the wrong terms or wording on this but my strikes live between middle of the face or toe side so if I'm correct the CG for my driver with the weights on that side help my ball flight stay more neutral... for the first 2 months I had this driver I naturally put one weight heel side and the other towards the back. I always play my driver in the lie (upright) setting with TM. Since moving the weights toe side ive been much more accurate and forgiving

Tomorrow is M6 with Ventus 6X day.

Say what?

Tomorrow is M6 with Ventus 6X day.

Say what?
Can't wait to hear your thoughts on this shaft

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

My M6 is hopefully shipping out tomorrow.

Have the AD IZ 6X tipped up and waiting for it.....just for giggles to compare against the Proj X Hzdus black 6.0.

I have posted earlier that the M5 has been a little fadey for me. Playable but fadey. Felt like I have been leaving some yards on the table.

My natural swing, mind you, produces a fade. My previous driver was a draw biased G400 SFT, and that was straight with slight fade for me.

After a few range sessions, and inspired by donny#s, I bought some extra weights. This combo pictured below, in the Upright Lie setting (thank you Jman) is the formula I have been looking for. It worked for 2 range sessions this week and today’s round. VERY happy - strong driving day today. Straight piercing flight with slight fade. I was actually on the left side of the course today as I was still waiting for the curl. Didn’t happen. Can’t wait to get back out there for some more bombs.

Was I swinging better or was it all due to the extra weight? A little of both probably.

272b332c0d0851a70a6a561935577d2e.jpg

I’m considering letting one of these challenge the F9 for supremacy. Which does the community recommend if I can only try one?!

I’m considering letting one of these challenge the F9 for supremacy. Which does the community recommend if I can only try one?!

Fwiw, and it’s only what I’ve seen, the F9 is going to offer more speed on average than the M5, I think it’s just a more forgiving and aerodynamic head to be honest. Not me slighting the M5, more just the reality of how effing good all the drivers this year are.

That said, I’m hoping myself the M6 drops the hammer, and based on all I’ve seen and researched, it really could.

I have been playing the M6 for about 6 weeks now . The feel is light years better than the M4 which I demoed last year. I am completely in love with this thing , high straight bombs with it. Fairways hit has gone way up as well as distance . I have never been a huge fan of Tm drivers before but this has changed all that. I had the Epic last year and Ts2 earlier this year. The M6 type-d is such a great fit for my swing .
gb

1284f04c99dfcc31f48783a5a3afd390.jpg

6f66eba6acd068f667a4c6d65fb2494d.jpg

ec913eb855efd0fd401c870582389ee5.jpg

4710e02a71be66d205800efc7fe61f05.jpg

a0d4fbdcc9a6041a118a7d1efb51632e.jpg

bb60c045cac4fc9921cd7da0fc481066.jpg

The m6 was part of the rental bag i played at the Killeen course. It had an atmos 6 black shaft I think. It was so different in feel in the hands and swing than my xr16 pro. It felt heavier and more stout. And the feel of the strike with the sound was also so different. I sensed like no ball compression off of the face, no "ting" sound, just a solid thwarting impact. I really liked what i was feeling and seeing. I hit some great drives very accurately and long. I may have to explore the m6 a bit more.

I have posted earlier that the M5 has been a little fadey for me. Playable but fadey. Felt like I have been leaving some yards on the table.

My natural swing, mind you, produces a fade. My previous driver was a draw biased G400 SFT, and that was straight with slight fade for me.

After a few range sessions, and inspired by donny#s, I bought some extra weights. This combo pictured below, in the Upright Lie setting (thank you Jman) is the formula I have been looking for. It worked for 2 range sessions this week and today’s round. VERY happy - strong driving day today. Straight piercing flight with slight fade. I was actually on the left side of the course today as I was still waiting for the curl. Didn’t happen. Can’t wait to get back out there for some more bombs.

Was I swinging better or was it all due to the extra weight? A little of both probably.

272b332c0d0851a70a6a561935577d2e.jpg

Glad to help, I have 3 weights on mine still and Drove the ball well gain this morning. Ball ws straight and rifled in one of the best ball flights i have played in a long time. Played with 3 guys a lot younger than me and I was driving past 2 out of the 3 all day.

It is tough to better the F9 driver, if it has the right shaft, as you well know. I have not tried all of the TaylorMade offerings, but the M5 Tour, being a smaller head and designed to be low spin, has given me better numbers than the F9, when I have tried it several times on a launch monitor. To me, the aerodynamics of the F9 are unbeatable, so it all comes down to launch and spin. The M5 Tour gave me some incredibly good launch and spin numbers and yet it still feels quite forgiving.

HVe not received my M6 yet (in transit), but borrowed my courses demo and stuck the AD IZ in it.....yowsas! Really, really like the M6...crushing it.

460c396549d09fd69b9ea6cffcad3961.jpg

Typically I have about 80 yards into this green....this is from about 40. M6 is a nice stick.

Back