2019 Callaway PM Grind Wedge

72 holes in 3 days and I am done with these, going on the bay to a new home. I just don't have the skill to make them work. Out of a green side trap the 58 is great otherwise just not getting it done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Finally got to get out Sunday and play. These wedges will be just fine in my bag. I like the contrast having both a 54 and 60. Full shots I have a 75 yard club and a 90 yard club. Everybody's different but I don't see any different skill needed to play these other than don't be too steep as you will have the greens-keeper following you. I noticed just take it inside and that helps to be shallow.

Well, the first round out with the PM Grind was not overly impressive. I used it 5 times and only 2 of the shots were decent. The poor performance was solely on me and shaking rust off. It's tough to trust taking a big swing with any 60* wedge when you haven't hit it in 3 months. The shot that was the most impressive was from a greenside bunker that was well below the green and had wet, packed sand. I took a nice, big swing and popped the ball right out leaving myself about a 7 foot putt. That shot turned out great but unfortunately I was in that bunker because of a chunked shot with this club right before that bunker shot.

This is still one of the clubs I'm most excited about but I'll have to have complete trust to make some bigger swings with a 60* wedge.

Got my 58° Tour Grey with the KBS Hi-REV 2.0 Black Shaft and it looks Phenomenal. I can’t photograph in a way to show how good it looks.

Should have bought a 54° the same way. Still might just on looks alone.

I received shipping notice on mine except they are shipping it to Minnesota instead of Arkansas where I'm at. :banghead: I did have them change the shipping address to Minn. because they said it would be backordered until May. I'm waiting for CS to open and see if they can change the shipping address as UPS won't let me. I'm positive it will get resolved and look forward to using it for the first time.
How are you liking yours so far?

Alright, tonight the PM Grind that I feel in love with in California showed back up. I had two shots that put big old smiles on my face.

The first was when I missed the green just short and to the right of the green, in the rough. The pin was maybe 4 yards on so I was left with a tough little short sided chip. I took my swing and caught the ball a little harder than I wanted and thought it was going to hit hard and roll well past the hole. Not so much. It hit right beside the hole and checked up leaving about a 15 inch putt. I couldn't believe how much it checked up!

The second shows the situation and result in the picture below. The ball on the bottom of the picture I placed there to show where I was hitting from and the ball next to the hole is where it ended up. As you can see the pin is relatively close to the front of the green so it required a little flop to land softly close to the hole. As long as you commit to it this club makes that shot so easy to pull off.

9bc3e06d49b37e6f09d534e3b7045c68.jpg

Alright, tonight the PM Grind that I feel in love with in California showed back up. I had two shots that put big old smiles on my face.

The first was when I missed the green just short and to the right of the green, in the rough. The pin was maybe 4 yards on so I was left with a tough little short sided chip. I took my swing and caught the ball a little harder than I wanted and thought it was going to hit hard and roll well past the hole. Not so much. It hit right beside the hole and checked up leaving about a 15 inch putt. I couldn't believe how much it checked up!

The second shows the situation and result in the picture below. The ball on the bottom of the picture I placed there to show where I was hitting from and the ball next to the hole is where it ended up. As you can see the pin is relatively close to the front of the green so it required a little flop to land softly close to the hole. As long as you commit to it this club makes that shot so easy to pull off.

9bc3e06d49b37e6f09d534e3b7045c68.jpg

Very nice. With the ERC too. You have a 60 PM grind, right?

Very nice. With the ERC too. You have a 60 PM grind, right?

Yep, 60*. It's intimidating as heck to hit (I think any 60* would be) but man it's fun.

Yep, 60*. It's intimidating as heck to hit (I think any 60* would be) but man it's fun.

Can’t wait to mess around with my 58. Primary use will be green side bunkers, but I’m also going to test out the flop shots from the rough as well.

Why is it intimidating? Because it’s 60° or something specific about the PM wedge?

Why is it intimidating? Because it’s 60° or something specific about the PM wedge?

Just because it's 60*. I haven't played anything higher than 56* for years so going to something with this much loft makes me a little nervous but it should be fine.

72 holes in 3 days and I am done with these, going on the bay to a new home. I just don't have the skill to make them work. Out of a green side trap the 58 is great otherwise just not getting it done.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I will say that I cancelled my order for the 54* PM grind after last weekend.
One in the bag is enough and I have to learn not to take to out as much as I did.
The course I play will have more grass around the greens and I can see the benefit of the 58*, 54* not so much....

I've had my 58-PM in the bag for 3 1/2 rounds now. I've hit some fantastic shots with it, and I've struggled with some shots. I have definitely chunked it on some full/mostly full swings off tighter lies. I've also hit some beautiful flop shots, and some really nice low, back-foot, high spin chips.

Consistent with what a lot of you have said, if I'm going to play full shots with it, I need to forego the idea of pinching the ball off the turf, and actually use the bounce. It means a little higher and shorter, but it lands really softly, too.

I've generally played sand and lob wedges that match, but I've also ended up using my 58/60 a ton, and barely taking the 54 out of the bag. In the last several rounds, with 'mismatched' wedges, I've found myself pulling the 54 on the more conventional shots, and the 58 (PM) on greenside bunkers, flop shots, etc.....anything that maybe needs a little more creativity.

And I think I'm good with that. Big picture, for the distances that used to be a full swing 58/60, I think I'm better off taking a choked down and/or half swing 54 anyway.

I had a similar experience with the Original PM as the 2.0, excellent at times and complete disaster others and the later was becoming more the norm.

I tried them again just to see if they would be better than conventional wedges with my current game and in some places they are, like greenside traps and thick rough.

But for me off any kind of tight lie there were just too many issues with my technique.

I had a similar experience with the Original PM as the 2.0, excellent at times and complete disaster others and the later was becoming more the norm.

I tried them again just to see if they would be better than conventional wedges with my current game and in some places they are, like greenside traps and thick rough.

But for me off any kind of tight lie there were just too many issues with my technique.

i need more time with them, but i would say your experience is somewhat similar to what i'm seeing in the limited practice i'm able to do. good is amazing. but the line between good and terrible is razor thin. tons of chunks and blades, with some they-call-me-mr.-phil thrown in randomly.

i wonder about our native grasses, too. we get some really grainy lies. that sharp leading edge is bound to dig and dig hard in some areas.

when i start playing more golf in the next few weeks, i'll be able to decide whether i want to fully commit.

The thing I'm noticing is you have to completely commit to the shot or your likely going to chunk or blade it. I've had quite a few chunked shots so far when I don't trust my swing and give up.

The thing I'm noticing is you have to completely commit to the shot or your likely going to chunk or blade it. I've had quite a few chunked shots so far when I don't trust my swing and give up.

I’ve found the same. Get tentative and especially with the microgrooves it’ll spin and come up short or it can easily “dig”.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stopped at the range this morning and hit nothing but wedges. It was more of exactly what I said yesterday -- full swings with the 58 PM are a dicey proposition. I'm generally either digging, or -- in an effort to protect against digging -- flipping my wrists, using the bounce, adding loft, and hitting short HIGH shots.

But, it's awesome on a couple different touch shots: (1) back foot, shaft lean, lower launch, higher spinning shots that check, and (2) ball forward, loft up, almost like a putting stroke that pops it up high and lands softly.

So yeah, I'm keeping it in the bag, but I think it's a weapon for short shots exclusively.

Spent another 20 minutes in the back yard with the 58*. Just hitting little 20 yard chips. Think this is going to be fun to use on the course for green side flops and bunkers. Really easy to pop the ball up. 54* back ordered until 4/5.

Hit these today. Feel is weird. Sounds hollow. Worked great on partial shots. Would need more time on full shots.

Chipped in on Saturday with PM 2.0 58* on #18: short sided below the hole left to right break and picked a spot on the green and popped it up there perfectly near my spot and it rolled in with perfect speed. #PMGrind4Life :D

Everything is so tight here right now with all the rain and little warmth in Tennessee so far. No fairways to speak of. Only tight lies.

I really enjoyed the 60 and 56 today. The pitches and chips were fun. Again, feel is almost like a “boink” or hollow feeling. Wasn’t bad, just not what im used to.

I’d really like to hit a 52° or 54° full out to see how often they dig. That’s all that scares me is these with full shots and I hardly ever do that with wedges...that is hit full shots with them.

i only have one round under my belt with the pm grind and it was pretty darn good. but in my practice, i'm struggling. some shots are bada##. but i've never had as many double-hits as i do with this club. no idea why.

I had more time with this wedge(s) today and it keeps confirming my decision to get both the 54° and 58° in PM. I will say that you can't be timid with this thing. The follow through has to be deliberate, but I'm telling you it flat out performs. It spins like crazy. During my last outing, my grip began slipping into a stronger position and I'm hurt me. Fixed the grip and things feel back to normal and I love it.

Everything is so tight here right now with all the rain and little warmth in Tennessee so far. No fairways to speak of. Only tight lies.

I really enjoyed the 60 and 56 today. The pitches and chips were fun. Again, feel is almost like a “boink” or hollow feeling. Wasn’t bad, just not what im used to.

I’d really like to hit a 52° or 54° full out to see how often they dig. That’s all that scares me is these with full shots and I hardly ever do that with wedges...that is hit full shots with them.

The 54 is a great club on full shots for me. No issues digging that one. I'm up in the air on the 60 so far but I have a 90 day policy where bought it to swap it for a 58.

Might sound crazy, but I wish I hit the 60 a little further out of bunkers. I'll play a few weeks more to make sure it's not early season rust before thinking of swapping to the 58.

Back