2019 Callaway PM Grind Wedge

Alright, tonight the PM Grind that I feel in love with in California showed back up. I had two shots that put big old smiles on my face.

The first was when I missed the green just short and to the right of the green, in the rough. The pin was maybe 4 yards on so I was left with a tough little short sided chip. I took my swing and caught the ball a little harder than I wanted and thought it was going to hit hard and roll well past the hole. Not so much. It hit right beside the hole and checked up leaving about a 15 inch putt. I couldn't believe how much it checked up!

The second shows the situation and result in the picture below. The ball on the bottom of the picture I placed there to show where I was hitting from and the ball next to the hole is where it ended up. As you can see the pin is relatively close to the front of the green so it required a little flop to land softly close to the hole. As long as you commit to it this club makes that shot so easy to pull off.

9bc3e06d49b37e6f09d534e3b7045c68.jpg
You know. I never really thought I would be excited to use wedges so much but I absolutely love these things and how they perform! They are just absolutely money!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2019 Callaway PM Grind Wedge

I was surprised how easy they were coming out of a bunker. Almost thought I grabbed a square strike wedge or C3i or whatever. Waaaaay easier than my RTX4 or SM7.

So theses wedges are ending up being my favorite clubs in the bag to hit. I never used to care much for hitting wedge shots but these things are just money. The GM of my course ended up joining me a few holes into my round and I had one pitch shot from 10 yards off the green and the green was above me and the pin was center green so probably 20 yards total bill used my 58° PM grind and hit a knock down chip and it had this sidespin which was crazy and rolled to 2" passed the hole. It hopped once and then the side spin caused to roll right around the hole. The GM came over and asked me what club I was playing bc he was amazed at the shot. He was a Callaway guy so we got to talking and I told him it was like cheating around the greens with these things and he said, "I need to get one of these!".

Are most going with chrome or gray? The demo clubs I used were the chrome and holy smokes was there a ton of glare in the bright sun that day. The gray looks better to me anyway, but I feel the chrome will wear better.

Are most going with chrome or gray? The demo clubs I used were the chrome and holy smokes was there a ton of glare in the bright sun that day. The gray looks better to me anyway, but I feel the chrome will wear better.
I went with the chrome but it looks more like a satin. One reason was bc it was very close to the color of the standard Apex. I played yesterday and it was super sunny and had no issues with glare.

I have no patience. No where close to me has the two I’m looking for in grey. I’m playing Farmlinks in AL on Monday and again Wednesday and don’t want to not have them. Thinking of plopping down on the chrome just to get them. Don’t want to wait the 7 days from Callaway.

I picked grey. Mostly to be a little different than my set irons, but glare also factored in. Not sure if chrome would have flare, but for me I’m going to be using these wide open, and that’s where I’ve been hit by glare with wedges in the past.

Tour grey as well. I just prefer darker finish on my wedges. I like the worn look.

Wanted the grey but didn’t have the patience. Just bought the chrome.

Had the 54 lie flattened and regripped since I put a prosoft insert in then went and ordered the 58. Going 54/58 rather than 54/60.

Had a nice practice session with these today. Anxious to play with them. Playing Monday and Wednesday this week.

I am freaking LOVING this wedge. I've been hitting some really cool short game shots with it, and not just one type either. Some low bumps, some high flops and a little bit of everything in between.
Last round I hit a bunker shot that landed 2 yards past the pin, bounced up into the fringe, and then spun back all the way to 6". I don't care who you are, that's effing FUN!

still finding this club to be (double) hit or miss. and i continue to blame the leading edge. the short game area near me is super grainy. shots into the grain are pretty much impossible to hit well, but with the grain i can hit some spinny sexy shots.

for those who struggled with this club then "figured it out," what are you doing differently to unlock its potential? i'm pumped to get it back on the course because my solo round with it was pretty exciting. just curious if there are any life hacks to get the most out of this unique beast.

I’m very sad to say I’m out. The leading edge on these just killed me this weekend. I dumped 10 wedges (massive pizza slice) on full shots. I need my wedges for full and partial shots.

Crazy because I really thought these fit me per indoors off Trackman and mats but off the turf it’s not a fit for my game.

Disappointed because I just love my CF16s and these just don’t work for my swing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

still finding this club to be (double) hit or miss. and i continue to blame the leading edge. the short game area near me is super grainy. shots into the grain are pretty much impossible to hit well, but with the grain i can hit some spinny sexy shots.

for those who struggled with this club then "figured it out," what are you doing differently to unlock its potential? i'm pumped to get it back on the course because my solo round with it was pretty exciting. just curious if there are any life hacks to get the most out of this unique beast.

I’m very sad to say I’m out. The leading edge on these just killed me this weekend. I dumped 10 wedges (massive pizza slice) on full shots. I need my wedges for full and partial shots.

Crazy because I really thought these fit me per indoors off Trackman and mats but off the turf it’s not a fit for my game.

Disappointed because I just love my CF16s and these just don’t work for my swing.

I am with you guys. I have wanted to like the grind on these wedges for a long time. C-Grind, S-Grind, X-Grind and PM Grind I had issues with them all. I have been a TM wedge player for a number of years. The old ATV for a few years and then Tour Grind in the last ones. I like those grinds better and so I have tried to modify the PM grind to my liking. Still doesn't give me the straight leading edge I feel most confident in. But it is much better.

IMG_0795.JPG

Had the 54 lie flattened and regripped since I put a prosoft insert in then went and ordered the 58. Going 54/58 rather than 54/60.

I went 58 in this as well. Have had no issues coming from a 60˚*MD4.

I've only got a couple of rounds in, but based on my time with the OG and my limited time with the 2019, my main piece of advice is use the bounce. I don't hit much of anything with a square face using this wedge. I'm opened up to some extent on pretty much all shots and I don't really use it more than 40-50 yards out at most. Even then it's my second option to my 54˚ MD4. For me this is a partial shot, around the green type of club. It excels out of the rough and the sand, but if I'm staring up the neck of the fairway at a pin, it's almost certainly staying in the bag. I was smitten with the first PM grind, mostly because it was like cheating out of the sand. Want to feel the same way with this one, and I currently do, but performance will be the decision point.

Looking forward to trying it in an actually round. Been practicing and liking it. Proof will be in play.

Finally played in a round with these and I’m in love. Practice has been great but was curious how they would do on an actual course. Shot an 82 and left 4 putts out there from 3’ on slopes greens. Horrible putting for me today. Just atrocious

The wedges were awesome tho. My short game is back!

I put in a solid session with the 54* today. The 58* is usually my greenside bunker club so I really didn’t put it through the paces like the 54*.

Various lies, runners, high flops, short sided chips... the 54 didn’t disappoint. I hit a few and noticed ball marks high up on the face and towards the toe. I tested every part of the face with decent results.

The short game is still rusty and one thing is certain with this one, commit and swing. Any hesitation or deceleration of the club and impact results are chunk city.

Commit to a swing and the results are just as I remembered with the first version.

I am with you guys. I have wanted to like the grind on these wedges for a long time. C-Grind, S-Grind, X-Grind and PM Grind I had issues with them all. I have been a TM wedge player for a number of years. The old ATV for a few years and then Tour Grind in the last ones. I like those grinds better and so I have tried to modify the PM grind to my liking. Still doesn't give me the straight leading edge I feel most confident in. But it is much better.

As a TM fan, why not a Hi-Toe instead? It has a straighter leading edge and your trusty ATV sole.

Last edited:
As a TM fan, why not a Hi-Toe instead? It has a straighter leading edge and your trusty ATV sole.

I am not all that familiar with the TM Hi-Toe other than to see one in the pro shop, but my sense is that the toe on the TM isn't as high and the Callaway PM uses microgrooves that are angled such that they are square to the target, or close to, when the club face is open, increasing spin.

This club is great around the green and I have had some pretty good success on full shots with my 60° as long as I remember to open the clubface just a bit to utilize the bounce more.

Couldn’t get my logo and a WB Grind on a TM wedge. Also, I don’t like the ATV any longer.

I know this is a delayed reply, but I have to say that I always enjoy following your equipment experiences. The feedback is always pretty damn honest whether things are going well or not so much. It's something that I thought really shined during last year's Morgan Cup with pre and post event thoughts.

I know this is a delayed reply, but I have to say that I always enjoy following your equipment experiences. The feedback is always pretty damn honest whether things are going well or not so much. It's something that I thought really shined during last year's Morgan Cup with pre and post event thoughts.

man that means a ton to me. you and the other writers have set the example.

i had this on the course again today, and hit lots of fullish shots into greens. it performed well in firm conditions. there was only one time i had it in hand, and found it digging into a grainy area around the green and opted for the putter instead.

out of the bunkers i hit some great shots. i also hit some stinkers, totally on me. i also hit a shank so bad trying to hit a flop off a slight downhill lie, that the ball went hard right and about 20y BACKWARDS. all you can do is laugh haha

i just found myself gravitating toward this club for pretty much everything around the green and it really did perform great. no digging. i blame a lot of my initial criticism on the quality of course around me, whereas today was a private course in fantastic shape.

distance control will come with time. my playing partner made fun of the club the whole time saying it looks like an infomercial club. he’s not wrong, but dammit if it doesn’t perform so well!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I’m really starting to figure this thing out. Haven’t messed around with full shots, but it’s starting to become magic around the greens. Left myself a terribly short sided chip over a bunker on a par five today and typically I’d be terrified, but this wedge is really starting to give me confidence. I’ve learned to set up a bit right of target and really use the bounce. lol and behold, I hit s perfect shot over the bunker, one hop and jumped right into the hole for birdie. Now I just have to figure out how to hit bunker shots...

Back