2019 Callaway PM Grind Wedge

Missed 4 greens today (9 holes) and these got me to all gimmie pars. I like.

I hit some really good chips with my PM 58* this past Saturday...this thing never gets a doubt from me about its position in the bag.

Finally got to hit these today in my first round out. Mixed results but I’m rusty as heck so I wasn’t expecting anything too crazy good. Example: I hit a long drive on a par 4 and had about 50 yards to the pin for my approach. Bladed the 54* past green and into some thick and tall grass. Amazingly found the ball, and was extremely short sided. Popped it out with a 58* and landed to within 5 feet for par save. Next hole hit it just in front of the green side bunker on a par 3. Pulled the 58 again and put it close (missed the 5 foot putt). Once I get some practice in I really think I’m going to like these wedges. Good shots just seem effortless. Just need to commit to the shot.

This was the one club that I hit great every shot today. Threw a couple chips from 50 yards out close today with the 54, and almost got up and down to save par on a hole where I short sided myself and had a huge hill to chip back up. These clubs really shine for the types of shots I like to hit (opening the club face open).

So, I played ok with these this Saturday, but Sunday I had to hit a lot of full shots with these, mostly my 54* and everytime I did, i stuck the ball within 10' of the pin. These wedges are so fricking money! I know I have said it a ton of times here, but I am super impressed by them. Maybe one of the other Team THP 2018 members can back me up here, haha. Love, love love these things! I just wanted to post about the full shots because I know some are struggling with full shots with these. I say that but full shots with these wedges are something you have to get used to because if you are not careful, you will scoop right under the ball.

Our conditions have been extremely soft so far this year and I haven't used my 60* a ton yet but the few times I have I've seen good results. My last time out I was really surprised by how much I can flight such a high lofted wedge. I can hit a relatively low, checking shot which I didn't think I'd be able to do.

I also attempted an almost full swing shot and quickly found out I probably won't hit this any further than 50 yards. As long as I commit to the shot this could be a pretty deadly tool to hit some tucked pins from that distance.

The 60 just can’t be beat for coming out of the sand around the greens. I ended up in 4 green side bunkers Sunday and was out with no issue on each shot. I have not used it on short approach shots as I don’t have the confidence in that yet.

I think this might just be the club that's been missing from my bag the last few years.

I've managed to get out to the practice area a few times in the last week or so, to get more familiar with the bounce (and offset) on my 60*.

Since Friday, I've played 3 nine hole rounds, and hit the stick on pitches/chips 5 times.

(now my Arccos putting stats are horrible with all the 0' putts).

I've been enjoying how easy it is to control the trajectory on half shots, but now that I'm gaining a bit of confidence I really think this is going to be a weapon for me this year.

(it still looks goofy though)

I think this might just be the club that's been missing from my bag the last few years.

I've managed to get out to the practice area a few times in the last week or so, to get more familiar with the bounce (and offset) on my 60*.

Since Friday, I've played 3 nine hole rounds, and hit the stick on pitches/chips 5 times.

(now my Arccos putting stats are horrible with all the 0' putts).

I've been enjoying how easy it is to control the trajectory on half shots, but now that I'm gaining a bit of confidence I really think this is going to be a weapon for me this year.

(it still looks goofy though)

It's definitely a goofy looking club. I keep referring to it as my spatula.

this club rocks. i hit it a bunch of times out of several different lies. popped it out of a terribly plugged lie with ease. hit some nice flops. stuck some 3/4 70-80y shots with super juicy spin. love this club, and could totally see a lower lofted club working just as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

almost a perfect day with this club yesterday. had some nice partial shots, it was a rockstar out of the bunkers. i think that's where this club shines the most: out of bunkers. i'm noticing a lot of contact all over the face with my bunker shots, but the spin out of the bunkers remains extremely consistent. that's the full face grooves at work.

i did have one blow-up hole. left my approach short, elevated green, pin tucked over a bunker. probably 25-30y away. tried to open the face a bit and hit a high pitch. grainy lie, and i didn't commit, so i chunked it. came to rest on the edge of a bunker, so very soft and sandy/clumpy grass. chunked it again. basically shanked the third shot to end up on the green and two-putted for a triple. that kind of trouble lurking around the corner with this has me a little gunshy at times, but if you commit this thing is amazing. i just need a little more time and experience.

I need to put some more time in with this. I've been going back to my 56* MD4 purely out of comfort with that kind of setup but I've probably had better results using my PM Grind. It's probably time to throw this right in to the fire for most shots.

I spent some time with my 58° on the short game area at my course yesterday afternoon while my daughter had a lesson. I tend to get lazy with my chips and with these that can be trouble. I worked on keeping my weight on my front foot and making good clean ball first contact, and had a lot of success getting the ball close to the pin. I holed one from the sand as well, even into the pin I was aiming for!

I managed to figure out how to get out of the sand with a few different shot types, though with my game the higher flight drop and slow down and eventually stop seems to be my best bet. It’s hard to tell with the range balls I was using if I was imparting enough spin to get anything to check up, but I was able to get a lot of decent shots, and start to get pretty comfortable over the ball.

All in all I’m still loving these wedges, like...a lot. They’re just a lot of fun to hit, easy to open or close the face, and hit a variety of shot types.

I personally feel a couple of degrees less bounce on the 2019 lobs would make it easier to use on tighter lies. I’m wondering why there weren’t more bounce options on these.

Ok these things are just silly. I had a bunch of up and down opportunities today. Each time the 54 did its job. I’m starting to get really confident into and around the greens with this one.

interesting practice sesh with this yesterday, and i’m curious if others have had a similar experience.

my miss in practice has been a random chunk, often a double hit. it’s a little scary. i haven’t seen that much in play, thankfully.

yesterday i looked at the divot, and noticed that the leading edge was way open to the intended target. so i was coming in a good bit from the inside.

so i tried to make contact on a much more square path into impact. and the results were pretty excellent. good spin, great feel, and very good contact.

my question is this: how are you guys coming into the ball? in-to-out? neutral? out-to-in? any of these paths better for this particular club?

interesting practice sesh with this yesterday, and i’m curious if others have had a similar experience.

my miss in practice has been a random chunk, often a double hit. it’s a little scary. i haven’t seen that much in play, thankfully.

yesterday i looked at the divot, and noticed that the leading edge was way open to the intended target. so i was coming in a good bit from the inside.

so i tried to make contact on a much more square path into impact. and the results were pretty excellent. good spin, great feel, and very good contact.

my question is this: how are you guys coming into the ball? in-to-out? neutral? out-to-in? any of these paths better for this particular club?

Only time I try “out to in” path is coming out of a bunker. Other than that it’s inside to out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This wedge has been a truly fantastic addition to my bag, once I got past the overall ugliness at address. I have extreme confidence around the green with it for both low and high shots, but especially out of bunkers is where it shines. Prior to this wedge I would always struggle with bunker shots going long either from thinnish contact or not enough spin, but with the PM Grind I find I'm coming up short more than anything. The ball just seems to hit like it's landing on velcro most of the time.

Also, yesterday I holed out a shot from 45 yards with the PM Grind. It was a wide open face from the rough to get over a bunker. It landed, grabbed on the second bounce and trickled over the front of the hole.

Pretty neutral for me. The odd chunk comes from the leading wedge causing issues, but that’s more swing than club.

Usually when I stay neutral and use the bounce it’s magic.

Pretty neutral for me. The odd chunk comes from the leading wedge causing issues, but that’s more swing than club.

Pretty much the same for me.

I think I'm pretty similar. When my takeaway gets too far inside bad things happen like chunks or blades.

This was a savior for me today. I committed to using it much more than I had been and outside of a couple of chunked shots (me not committing) I saw great results. I used it a lot for high shots in to short sided pins and left myself some nice, makeable putts. My buddy even commented about how easy I was making it look and the club was a big part of that.

I think I'm pretty similar. When my takeaway gets too far inside bad things happen like chunks or blades.

This was a savior for me today. I committed to using it much more than I had been and outside of a couple of chunked shots (me not committing) I saw great results. I used it a lot for high shots in to short sided pins and left myself some nice, makeable putts. My buddy even commented about how easy I was making it look and the club was a big part of that.

This one made me look good today. @Badolds played with me today and he saw first hand how great these saved my round.

This one made me look good today. @Badolds played with me today and he saw first hand how great these saved my round.

These wedges look badazz and Mike was on point with them.

honestly it’s the overly inside path leading to trouble that (may have) been the epiphany for me. i’m going to be a little more neutral maybe even a touch ott and see what happens.

honestly it’s the overly inside path leading to trouble that (may have) been the epiphany for me. i’m going to be a little more neutral maybe even a touch ott and see what happens.

Yep, that's where I get in trouble with all of my clubs.

Back