2019 Callaway PM Grind Wedge

damn bro how many Grandaddy truvis did you grab????? Gonna tell the heathens to bother you since you have plenty hahaha awesome pictures dude

LOL at least now we know where they all went!

I'm not sure I understand the question. If I don't answer it properly help me out.

The two clubs are serving different purposes. The 58* is my specialty club that extends out to about 75 yards (9:00 Peltz for me). The 54* kicks in from there and handles everything else. I treat the 54* as a more generic wedge, something that bridges the gap between the specialty club and my irons. I've been using it on full shots, choke down flighted shots, etc., to fill the gaps between the 58* and AW. This setup has been great for me. There isn't a shot or distance that isn't covered. I wouldn't change a thing.

This is perfect. So basically there was t a NEED to have the 54 PM in the bag because the MD4 is probably a bit more versatile?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For those that followed along in The Grandaddy thread, this is the wedge that KEV used to make the flop shot heard 'round The Hideway. Where both Pete and Finley were left with nothing to say but [Expletive Deleted] he made that shot 6(?) holes into his first round with these. These are that good, that easy to use.

Nice setup there Frank! So 50/54/58

Are the MDs only available in specific lifts or is there a wide array of lofts and bounces?
There were two or three staff bags filled with different lofts and bounces for us to play with. I fell in love with the one I'm gaming and didn't really explore the other stuff. But just based on the sheer volume of things in those bags the answer has to be there is a very wide array of lofts and bounces.

Because the S grind has worked so well for me over the past year I went that route in my wedges, but did spend a bunch of time with the 2019 PM grind at the (absolutely delightful) short game area at ECPC once my fitting was done. I had played the previous PM grind, so I wanted to get a bit of time in it to share my thoughts on the comparison. While I loved the PM grind directly green side and out of the bunker, I take a lot of full swings with my wedges and my miss is thin - so the higher CG of the PM grind isn't necessarily the best fit for me.

Others have commented on it, but I think the addition of a little bit more offset makes for a much more "normal" looking wedge at address, if that makes any sense, and that helped with confidence a bit on longer shots. For me, I still thought the S grind was a better fit for my game overall, but it was hard to argue with performance on touch shots around the green. I felt like I could manipulate the face any way I wanted and see good results. Next I moved into the bunker to give some sand shots a try - my one question was if the new grind would hamper performance out of the bunker for me, since that U Grind has been great for me in that situation in any wedge I've tried. Nope - still just as easy as the PM grind ever was. It's a really nice all-around package, and I think a noticeable improvement on the original for those who liked it.

I will admit that watching some of the guys hitting these on the course would have had me questioning my decision making a bit had I not been happy with my wedge play. The guys who put these in play were hitting some absurd shots.

This is perfect. So basically there was t a NEED to have the 54 PM in the bag because the MD4 is probably a bit more versatile?
I'm not sure about versatility... I thought of the 54* as being more traditional or standard. I was basically a coward and didn't want to try the PM at the 54*. I just wanted to get something that would safely cover the stuff between the 50* and 58*. It has worked out perfectly.

You didn't ask me but my bag setup is a 56 S grind, and then a PM Grind 60. I wasn't at all concerned with the PM Grind's ability or inability to perform on 1/2, 3/4 or full swings because that's what I want the 56 S grind for. So far the setup seems to be working very well that way. 56 S grind gets used for any shot with a square face, PM Grind gets used for any shot with an open face, or any gnarly lie.

Wow, these look really fun. Great job by Team THP so far in their thoughts. Im interested a ton!

Wow. Amazing thoughts, Gents.

Been thinking about replacing my 60. Maybe?

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Oh Wow! I have been wanting to add a PM grind into the bag since they originally launched. This might be the one!

I love the original PM grind, can't wait to try these

2019 Callaway PM Grind Wedge

Callaway 2019 PM Grind Wedge Initial Thoughts / Review / Feedback

A little bit about my short game and wedge use before diving into my thoughts on the 2019 PM Grind wedge. I am currently around an 11-12 handicap, and I consider my short game one of the better parts of my game. My only experience with wedges above 54* is with the original Mack Daddy PM Grind 58*. I've been using that wedge for a little less than 2 years. I typically use it for chipping around the green, for greenside bunker shots, for pitch shots 70 yards and in, and for any time I want to try a flop shot.

As a big fan of the PM Grind concept, I was really excited to finally hear about and see a new version. The 2019 PM Grind looks very similar to its predecessor with its giant face covered completely in grooves. One difference, though, is the new micro grooves, which are not parallel to the main grooves. They are actually angled in a way to be most advantageous when you open the face of the wedge.

367a47f3a9d908ab14d2193661a1f4fa.jpg

419738d7c1c58a551725ff9b9396ae17.jpg

The stock shaft is the True Temper Dynamic Gold 115 S200 shaft, which is what I'm playing in my 2019 PM Grind 58*. This is a solid shaft pairing for me and what we are used to seeing in Callaway's wedges.

fe36d120295906917e510e68a90c6b4a.jpg

b6d8f2239b63b2eb49aafa6e7e26e06f.jpg

My experience with the new PM Grind has been solid so far. I haven't hit shots beyond 40 yards with it yet, but I'm usually getting the expected amount of check and spin while using a Chrome Soft or other urethane balls. There have been a few times where I didn't get the spin I expected after hitting off a tight lie, but I've mostly played in damp or cold/hard conditions, so it's possible those factors played a part on those unexpected results (or my technique could be to blame).

036017c832696358209e2c73c222638b.jpg

e865f1df4edc9d8486ce05d36070a209.jpg

The biggest benefit to having a PM Grind to me is for bunker and flop shots, and the new version continues to shine for both of these types of shots. The large face full of grooves gives me a ton of confidence to commit to some tougher shots. I hit one of the best bunker shots I've hit in months out of some soft sand last time I played with the new PM Grind. I've also had no issues opening it up and trying to hit flops shots.

On standard chip shots, the unique hosel design may bother newcomers at first, but it's best for me to try to use it like a normal wedge and not overthink it. I've hit some really good chips with it so far and can't wait to put it through its paces during the 2019 season.

Original PM Grind on the left. 2019 on the right.
67a92db6a3cc32b6392db7ea6a1d0bb3.jpg

79afeaea4399499600046ba4124e2bcc.jpg

df0e855f66c056b800d9916f95231f9d.jpg

b40b7bb77e6b5640ff14fe8652bcbda0.jpg

924edfc94dc5f20e9ad778f6045aeb99.jpg

Not an expert on this by any means, but does the elongated toe help give more spin on the ball? I am thinking that even thought it’s only a fraction of a second, the ball would travel up more grooves when hit.

So for the GD participants who wen this route with their wedges. What lofts? Lies? Shafts do all of you have in them?

I only went with the PM grind in the 60°. Bounce is 12° and mine uses a UST Mamiya Recoil 460 shaft as do the MD4 wedges I now bag as well.

So for the GD participants who wen this route with their wedges. What lofts? Lies? Shafts do all of you have in them?

PM grind 2.0 56/14 with DG 115

I tried a 60 but had a bad experience with one shot in particular, @KEV , so I went with the 56 and 4* gapping on my wedges.

I went with the MD4's in the 52° and 56° based on discussions with my fitter. I hit a lot of full shots with the 52° so the "S" grind was determined to be the best for me there. I have always used a "C" grind and I really like the versatility that it gives me around the green so I went with that in the 56°. Again, I didn't think I'd really end up liking the PM 2.0 as much as I do and might truly have considered going that route in the 56° as well had I known is advance what it could do for me. Being in the 1st group doing the full swing fitting I did not sample any of the wedges before discussing bag set up with my fitter..

The wedge looks awesome, the badging the grooves, holy cow Batman!

I wish there was a version without offset. Also, I don’t understand why all wedges aren’t made with grooves all the way to the edge of the toe.

And as soon as I took a shanked shot from one of my teammates to the side of the head and felt the speed retention from the hosel I was sold!
This comment cracked me up!!!!!!

Do not need to see anything. I will 100% be purchasing a 56/60.

Great feedback and photos so far. This is the only no brainer of the year for me so far. Super happy with my current wedges but LOVED my OG PM Grind. One of these in 58˚ or 60˚ will be ordered sight unseen most likely.

t72QJqB.png

Sorry if I missed it but what finishes will be offered with this club?

Don't intend to crash the party as I've owned a PM grind - great out of the bunker and around greens, but that HIGH toe. I traded it iin. If they could only cut it down - I like my wedges a little more svelte looking - but like the take on the Ping Eye 2 grind and the Edel grooves out to the toe. Best of all worlds except for Phil's freakin' too high toe. Wish they had a more conventional version.

Back