2019 Callaway PM Grind Wedge

PhillyV

Original Ass-Cap : G15' & G18'
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Snow
This thread will serve for reviews and discussion for the new 2019 Callaway PM Grind.

59fe057de27e577bb8d499409f780f80.jpg

I can not wait for more info. This will be in my bag this year

Love that badge pretty cool always loved the performance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will be curious to see the changes for this one. At glance looks like the older one with more offset (but Im sure there is more to the story)

Wow that’s gorgeous....

Will be curious to see the changes for this one. At glance looks like the older one with more offset (but Im sure there is more to the story)

The offset is one of the things they highlight on the Callaway site.

Looking forward to giving one of these a shot in the bag this year. I love my MD4s in general, but didn't have an exceptionally great year with my 60* last year.

The addition of their new groove tech that came in MD4 as well as different shaping of the toe (which is higher now) and around the sole really came out well. I know a lot of the Grandaddy guys got a chance to use these and I have a 60* in the bag replacing my 60* that was completely worn down from the original line.

This picture here does a great job of showing the full face milling and grooves
ce5100356e7d9a97770312ff28936ed4.jpg

Hello gorgeous.

849f5b02c981c109654ce9b5db2d957c.jpg
4e38de34f6702b3ac2cce3fe73bc5b5c.jpg

I'll be back in here in a few with some thoughts...

This new wedge is pretty slick, heres some quick pics!
1a57ae79d91363ea1f67e3bf376d1962.jpg
e80d912dcf8e85184cfd490066ae403c.jpg
9f6664507291daa81b4aeaf7859ab621.jpg
2dd07a083a4b39eb5660e168292eb722.jpg
2011d9fa7ba58e2deacc2ef3060d7f55.jpg

This picture here does a great job of showing the full face milling and grooves
ce5100356e7d9a97770312ff28936ed4.jpg

Man that seems like a pretty elongated toe. Curios as I haven’t ever played (just tested) Callaway wedges. I’m someone who is a decent short game player but also someone who rarely hits the middle of the club face. Everything and I mean everything is out towards the toe. It’s just the shape of my shot I suppose.

Is there anything in this wedge specifically that could help or address that in your mind?

Hello gorgeous.

Hey check it out, Kev nailed it on the photos.

Hello gorgeous.

Well, those pics weren’t taken in SoCal

Man that seems like a pretty elongated toe. Curios as I haven’t ever played (just tested) Callaway wedges. I’m someone who is a decent short game player but also someone who rarely hits the middle of the club face. Everything and I mean everything is out towards the toe. It’s just the shape of my shot I suppose.

Is there anything in this wedge specifically that could help or address that in your mind?

Yes. By having grooves go all of the way out, you have a chance to remove debris that would otherwise be between the ball and the club face. Grooves channel away grass, moisture and sand/dirt to offer cleaner impact.

The addition of their new groove tech that came in MD4 as well as different shaping of the toe (which is higher now) and around the sole really came out well. I know a lot of the Grandaddy guys got a chance to use these and I have a 60* in the bag replacing my 60* that was completely worn down from the original line.

Did they change the groove in groove design for this because it looks different to me from the pics we've seen so far compared to the md4? Or did they just use the actually groove cut from that line.

Nice pics of that wedge! Edge to edge grooves and a higher toe? Almost like you can't miss with that thing.

The biggest surprise for me in regard to the wedges I was fit for at #TheGrandaddy has been the PM grind in the 60°. I really didn’t think I’d like looking down at that high toe but especially during the competition at The Hideaway I was deadly with it around the greens! I used it almost exclusively. The one greenside bunker shot I hit with it I damn near holed and I’m not known as a great bunker player! The few times I have been in the bunkers here at home I’ve successfully navigated them with the PM Grind especially when I've been caught short-sided. I think the PM grind is as foolproof as the SureOut wedges. One thing I’ve noticed with all of the wedges (MD4 and PM Grind) is that I get more spin with them on those little pitches and chips around the green so coming home and playing to slower greens is taking getting used to.

Is that badging another way to remove weight from the heel?

I like this release... a lot, actually, despite it looking unconventional. Can definitely see how it would be useful on open face shots from rough or soft bunkers,

Did they change the groove in groove design for this because it looks different to me from the pics we've seen so far compared to the md4? Or did they just use the actually groove cut from that line.

Yes it is changed. Its offset groove in groove, designed to assist with the shots that most will hit with this type of wedge.

I like this release... a lot, actually, despite it looking unconventional. Can definitely see how it would be useful on open face shots from rough or soft bunkers,

Just a badge, no weight. At least, that’s what the Callaway rep I asked that same question to said

I had zero issues using it from the tightest of lies around the greens at The Hideaway!

Yes. By having grooves go all of the way out, you have a chance to remove debris that would otherwise be between the ball and the club face. Grooves channel away grass, moisture and sand/dirt to offer cleaner impact.

Ok now this makes some sense. I can’t even tell you how many times I’ve been playing, hit what ended up being a nice shot <100yds in but it rolled out with little spin because I hit it so far out on the toe. It has never been an issue and I’ve learned to just play it. But having the chance to have grooves out there that only helps contact and promotes spin seems like something I should probably take a closer look at. There’s been a good number of very good wedge players who hit the ball out on the toe. I have to imagine it can only help and not hurt things

Yes it is changed. Its offset groove in groove, designed to assist with the shots that most will hit with this type of wedge.

Makes sense. Have they hinted about using that design it their normal 60 degree wedge too?

I actually have two of these a 54° and a 58°. These aren’t really wildly different from the original PM grind, which is a good thing IMO. They took an already fantastic design and improved on it some. The addition of the full face milling was designed to help spin when the face is open.

I’ve spent a good bit of time with these on the course and playing around the green with these. I’m totally enamored with them. I had one of the best shots of The Grandaddy with these, a flop shot to inside 10’ from a not great position, close enough to make Luke really mad. Almost as mad as Finley got when @kev put a shot super close in the first match Wednesday morning. (This is the wedge he used for that heroic shot)

Here are some pictures from playing around on a wet nasty day.

fb2245dd713acea895bb981852f6a3d8.jpg

dfe515ec62e0c5acd679ce483a53d521.jpg

Short story on these, if you liked the original PM grinds you’ll love these I think.

Makes sense. Have they hinted about using that design it their normal 60 degree wedge too?

I did not ask, but will be with Roger Cleveland today and can ask that question.

Back