2019 Callaway PM Grind Wedge

So I was for for these wedges at #TheGrandaddy and here are my initial review and thoughts along with a couple pics of them!

PM Grind Wedge Initial Review

•54* and 58*
•Standard L/L/L
•Grip: Lampkin UTX Black

These are some of the best feeling wedges I have hit! They have the crossgroove face technology which makes it so if you are doing a flop shot you still get the grooves on the ball to generate spin. I only hit one bad wedge shot with these around the green, but that was operator error, not the club. Also great clubs for full wedge shots. Got lots of spin with these and some have a hard time with the shape of them, but I actually like it. It gave me the perception I had more club to work with if I hit a badly struck shot. May be mental but I like it. First impression is that these are way better than my old Cleveland RTX 2.0 wedges.

I will just say I absolutely love these wedges!!! These wedges work very very well from full shots to ¾ and below. Wedges are some of my favorite clubs to hit, and I have been very accurate with these wedges. Since being back, I haven’t hit a bad wedge shot and as stated during the event the only bad wedge shot was operator error. Can’t wait to hit these in warm temps and see the distances. On full shots I am seeing about 5 yards more than my old wedges. I am definitely more confident with these wedges. More to come!
34ba4147fa3bdb5277d71bbf23cb777a.jpg
fcca858264459e51cf2da812d60ae46b.jpg
b0088da4598a17de95b8fdfb061b6172.jpg
c865fa364b7dabec93e80cdaed57e448.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I did not ask, but will be with Roger Cleveland today and can ask that question.

Cool. In my limited mind it would make some sense, so I look forward to his thoughts.

Did they change the groove in groove design for this because it looks different to me from the pics we've seen so far compared to the md4? Or did they just use the actually groove cut from that line.

465531a75426d6d2beda47aac639e255.jpg

Original PM Grind

3e88eb4930ab217ae77164cb579d5514.jpg

Md4

99ebc4ca37d65f91f81e8df85614f5e2.jpg

New PM Grind
New groove in groove designed to get more spin and control on shots when opening the face.

Original PM Grind

Md4

New PM Grind
New groove in groove designed to get more spin and control on shots when opening the face.

Excellent shots dude.

Great shots of the grooves @Boder!

Original PM Grind

Md4

New PM Grind

Ok. NOWWWWW.....I see the difference. Very interesting looks there. Thanks for that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Higher toe huh. I loved the original. Wore it out. Playing with some cobra wedges that are good but something is missing in the 60* department haha. I’m not hitting the same type of shots that I used to when I was playing with the first p.m. grind. This will certainly be on the shortlist for me

Man that seems like a pretty elongated toe. Curios as I haven’t ever played (just tested) Callaway wedges. I’m someone who is a decent short game player but also someone who rarely hits the middle of the club face. Everything and I mean everything is out towards the toe. It’s just the shape of my shot I suppose.

Is there anything in this wedge specifically that could help or address that in your mind?

This could really be a perfect club for you in that case. Having that extra real estate on the toe could help give better contact and with the grooves extending the whole way could really help you out with stopping the ball.

Looking forward to reviews and testing these out myself when they hit the local PGA Superstore.

I was surprised to immediately love this wedge as much as I did. To me, it’s oversized footprint is counterintuitive to how insanely versatile it is. During the fitting process 4 of us were sent to the wedge area to go hit whatever we wanted on our own. I picked this one and went to town

e7f251956dbbd048f08d97ea530875d0.jpg

de9d2ad7b4cbd9809ad017707588681c.jpg

Later we learned about the tech. Bigger toe. More offset (Phil wanted even more than this but Callaway pushed back). And something about offset micro-grooves. Basically when you address the ball in a standard position the primary grooves are square to the target

ee2a856dad4cae6f6a28a621207d860c.jpg

But when you open the face the micro-grooves become square to the target
35a3e53884ad3c7abdf4d78a5bad81fe.jpg

I have to be careful with turf interaction with more full-type swings, otherwise I take beaver pelts. But this is improving with ball position adjustments. It will be fine. On the other hand, the club is insanely great on every shot around the greens. It is so easy to hit any shot it is like cheating. The club has opened up a whole world of possible shots that just were not possible with my prior wedges.

I am gaming the PM Grind 2.0 at 58* with Recoil 95 F3 (Regular) shafts that are tipped to stiffen them up.

The 2019 PM Grind from Callaway features a couple tweaks from the last go round. The shape is all-new with a higher toe, more offset, and a more rounded leading edge. The sole grind is a variation of the X-grind sole I believe and offers plenty of heel/toe relief while still maintaining a decent amount of bounce (12* in the 60* wedge).

When I went down to The Grandaddy I actually had ZERO interest in putting a PM grind wedge into my bag. For whatever reason I just didn't get along with the old one when demoing it and I just never went back to try it again. After being 'encouraged' by my Teammates to give the new one a chance I decided to spend some time with it and really give it a good workout on the ECPC practice green. I was instantly blown away at how easy certain shots around the green became, and how effective it was at any chip/pitch shot with an open face. This wedge was built and designed with 1 thing in mind - open face short game shots. If that's a shot that you like to depend on at all, then you need to give this wedge a chance.
I made the easy (and surprising) decision to put a 60* PM Grind in my bag. Shafted with a Tour Issue DG 120 S400 shaft and a CP2 Pro grip.

During our matches at The Hideaway I needed to lean on the PM Grind 60 on the very first hole. From a downhill lie in the rough I had to hit a green sloping away from me and somehow stop the ball. This wedge made even that shot so much easier than it normally would be. Open face, swing, and watch the ball pop up and land with some bite.

Since coming home and playing here in the ooze and the muck the wedge continues to impress. I feel like it has legitimately added an entire aspect to my short game that I just didn't have before. The elongated toe gives me so much confidence when trying to pitch from out of the rough, or when the ball is perched up on some grass. There's no fear of going right under the ball anymore and that allows me to get even more aggressive. The sole grind is pretty fun too, it seems to handle itself just fine on both firm tight lies as well as soft spongy lies. I have found that on square face chip shots I need to make an focused effort on hitting ball first because this wedge will dig aggressively once it hits the turf, but when you execute properly the ball comes off with some serious stopping power to it.

In the bunkers I never realized how much I needed a wedge like this until I had one. It's amazing to me how I'm already getting wear marks way out on the toe and way up on the top of the face, where a normal wedge either wouldn't exist or wouldn't have grooves. Turns out my bunker game sucks and I rarely find the center of the face when in the sand so the extra real estate available on the PM Grind is most welcome. The sole grind has no problem playing out of fluffy crushed quartz , or hard packed saturated sand.

I actually haven't even tried to hit a 1/2 or 3/4 wedge shot with this club yet, so I will be sure to add my results and findings as soon as I do. For me so far this wedge has become an absolute stalwart in the bag around the greens and doesn't have me so deflated when I hit that dreadful short-sided miss on approach.
a9bb61c687320dea8cff4e579fa9714b.jpg
43a7a90536ecb4205e8ae92d4d1e612a.jpg
f6840472f63142bc53c5a9360fdabb52.jpg

This could really be a perfect club for you in that case. Having that extra real estate on the toe could help give better contact and with the grooves extending the whole way could really help you out with stopping the ball.

Yea I mean you e seen it. Not like I’m all over the place, in fact it’s pretty controlled. But there are times when you look at the club face and wonder how it’s even getting much spin. I think for me it has been a looks thing at address that has made me shy away initially but I think i need to just hit them and see if performance improves. My hunch is that it will improve by more than I’d like to actually admit

How do you guys like these on full swings? These look gorgeous but Maybe a bit scary for a mid cap?

Is that badging another way to remove weight from the heel?

I like this release... a lot, actually, despite it looking unconventional. Can definitely see how it would be useful on open face shots from rough or soft bunkers,

It's crazy how versatile this club is. The only shot I struggled with was a full swing but considering I only have a 60* PM Grind that's probably not unusual. I haven't taken a full swing with that high of a loft in 15 years.

How do you guys like these on full swings? These look gorgeous but Maybe a bit scary for a mid cap?
For me, turf interaction is a lot different than what I'm used to. Personally I don't think I'd play this at 54*. That said, I'm getting better with it on more full swings after making adjustments to ball position etc. But so far for me this one is used a lot less for full swings than it is for 9:00 Peltz shots and closer. It is SO great for that purpose - and I'm a 15.6 handicap - that I definitely recommend this club. It is phenomenal.

I haven't yet tried to use it on a full swing. The way that my bag is built I just dont need it to fill that role, but I'll be sure to report back when I do give it a try.

For me, turf interaction is a lot different than what I'm used to. Personally I don't think I'd play this at 54*. That said, I'm getting better with it on more full swings after making adjustments to ball position etc. But so far for me this one is used a lot less for full swings than it is for 9:00 Peltz shots and closer. It is SO great for that purpose - and I'm a 15.6 handicap - that I definitely recommend this club. It is phenomenal.

Thank for for this. I play my 54 for full shots a lot, so this may not be for me in that spot, but maybe 58.

Honestly, I have to concentrate on full swings to make sure I make ball first contact, which isn't a bad thing. Beyond that they're great. On full swings I'm getting the distances I expect, with a lot of stopping power. I wouldn't hesitate to put one in the bag...I didn't hesitate actually.

Yea I mean you e seen it. Not like I’m all over the place, in fact it’s pretty controlled. But there are times when you look at the club face and wonder how it’s even getting much spin. I think for me it has been a looks thing at address that has made me shy away initially but I think i need to just hit them and see if performance improves. My hunch is that it will improve by more than I’d like to actually admit

I was totally with you on the looks. Going in to the fitting I gave this about a 5% chance of making the bag because I'm one of those that's needs to like what I'm looking at. I picked one up just to screw around with and instantly fell in love with it. It's crazy how easy it is to use and those extra grooves are really nice to have. I'm similar to you where I hit a lot on the toe when I'm around the green and this is really helpful for those shots.

2019 Callaway PM Grind Wedge

Kev and tequila, are you guys used to this much bounce in the highest lofted wedge? For met that’s still an adjustment with my Vokey D wedge (which this one resembles a little in grind and bounce), particularly in full shot situations.

I've only taken one full swing with my 60* and it didn't go well. However I think that would be the case for me with any 60* wedge, it's not a PM Grind thing. That's just too much loft for me to successfully hit hard.

I was totally with you on the looks. Going in to the fitting I gave this about a 5% chance of making the bag because I'm one of those that's needs to like what I'm looking at. I picked one up just to screw around with and instantly fell in love with it. It's crazy how easy it is to use and those extra grooves are really nice to have. I'm similar to you where I hit a lot on the toe when I'm around the green and this is really helpful for those shots.

Interesting. Assuming I’d fall the same exact way if I gave it a fair shot and removed my initial thoughts and replaced it with performance that could be a big help to my specific game. Thanks dude!

So for the GD participants who wen this route with their wedges. What lofts? Lies? Shafts do all of you have in them?

Is that badging another way to remove weight from the heel?

I like this release... a lot, actually, despite it looking unconventional. Can definitely see how it would be useful on open face shots from rough or soft bunkers,

Just a badge, no weight. At least, that’s what the Callaway rep I asked that same question to said

Wardy is right here. Just badging

Thank for for this. I play my 54 for full shots a lot, so this may not be for me in that spot, but maybe 58.
That is my setup and I couldn't be happier. (And I was very worried about changing wedges - I've played universal grind / V Soles for years)

Back