Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

Now, I’ll add, love the easy launch, in the windy western Oklahoma conditions though I think spin is a touch high right now. Going to try -1/D and see how it goes today.

Brave new world for me but 9* F9 was on point yesterday.

I’ll get this tuned in.
Who is this Jman?

Who is this Jman?

Hahaha, well, if he stays in that 160’s, 11+, and 2300-2400 window when all is said and done...look out.

One of the lads in our league team switched to the Flash with a 6.0 Smoke shaft and I got a round with him yesterday

He hit some long drives including driving the green on a 320yd par 4 whilst I was about 40yds short of it with my GBB

It has given him a massive boost in distance - he was telling the other guy in our group that he has picked up about 30yds over the M3 he had prior to it

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk

I don’t care how loud it is as long as it sounds like the ball is screaming for mercy...

Last couple rounds I've been playing it at 11.5 D with the weig hgt ever so slightly to the draw side, trying to eliminate the hook. It's funny but just that little adjustment, was 10.5 D with the weight just a touch towards draw, and the ball is launching. I'm not a high ball hitter but the EF paired with the proforce v2 HL has me going high. It makes no sense from a settings point, D on hosel weight towards draw, so I can only attribute it to the 11.5. Im guessing the 11.5 being a little more open than 10.5 is the contributing factor. Having the adjustability to dial in the flight is great for me.

With the little adjustments the hook is gone but now I'm getting a small fade, may just be my swing, when I prefer a draw. Going back to 10.5 tomorrow but trying it at neutral and weight slightly towards fade to see if I can get the baby draw back but keep the hooks away.

Changed mine to N/S with the sliding weight just a bit to the heel side and hit some nice drives before the Tito's affect kicked in.
I am really curious what a lighter but stiffer shaft would do for me besides just lightening the wallet.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

The EF was my buddy today.

Got my triple diamond out for the first time last Thursday and again today - absolute money. Sets up beautifully, shape is fantastic, and the slight fade bias is perfect for me. Don’t think the shaft is ideal, but while it’s performing much better than expected, I think I can squeeze more out of it with something proper. Still haven’t tested the “normal” Flash SZ but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t at least curious to see how it performs even though I don’t think it will be better (for me). Really glad I waited for it to release.

Got my triple diamond out for the first time last Thursday and again today - absolute money. Sets up beautifully, shape is fantastic, and the slight fade bias is perfect for me. Don’t think the shaft is ideal, but while it’s performing much better than expected, I think I can squeeze more out of it with something proper. Still haven’t tested the “normal” Flash SZ but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t at least curious to see how it performs even though I don’t think it will be better (for me). Really glad I waited for it to release.

OG '16 M2 is a great driver hands down. I'd imagine the triple diamond will give it a proper runs for it's spot in the bag

Not my best driver performance this weekend, but head to head with the G400 I liked it enough to pull the G400 from the bag. Was windy as all get out, but once I figured out my alignment I was able to hit some really solid drives. Excited to see what I can do with this one.

Anymore comparisons between the triple diamond and flash sz?

After a couple tweeks from my man @e1iterate with my stance, I was hitting my driver so much better. I had a couple of outlyers but for the most part I was hitting the driver well. In particular on my tournament on Sunday, it was hole 11, our last hole, which was a par 4, 305 to front edge of the green. I hit a drive and rolled onto the green about 10 yards, so about a 315 yard drive! We missed the eagle put as the pin was in the back of the green so we had a really long put, but we used my putts for and made birdie. Now, I don't normally hit the driver that far, but I was hitting the driver far on Sunday and was hitting it long on Saturday as well, but my friend @e1iterate is just a beast I guess because he was 20 to 30 yards past me each time. I would say most of my drives were around 270 to 280. I haven't hit the driver this long consistently in a very long time. Like I said I still have some outlyers but that is me and not the driver, but I started to hit the driver a lot better on Saturday and Sunday I was just on fire. My game was going on all cylinders from tee to green.

Tonight...

Hotmelt.

Sound change time in the SZ to get it, its most fair shake.

Tonight...

Hotmelt.

Sound change time in the SZ to get it, its most fair shake.

How do you gain access inside the heads when you hotmelt? Is there a port or do you drill a hole, hot melt it and then plug it?

Took the kid to the range last night, I spent a good bit of time working with my driver and saw some just outstanding results, lots of night high straight balls.

I do get what some are saying about the sound, it’s definitely loud with the range rocks, and I can see why some would dislike it. It seemed wildly different than the sound on the course.

How do you gain access inside the heads when you hotmelt? Is there a port or do you drill a hole, hot melt it and then plug it?

SZ is easy. Remove the front weight, there’s a port/hole under most non moveable weights.

I don't have a sound issue with this club. Sounds great to me, my only problem is it basically goes where I aim it. Golf is not as adventurous as it used to be. I am also using my hybrid for punch shots a lot less than I used to.

I think the key on the sound/feel discussion is two things...

1) Yes, it’s personal. Still worth talking about with any club though.

2) For me, the SZ doesn’t sound good, but, more than anything that’s because of how the standard I hit before it sounds, and then just how good the SZ’s predecessors sounded.

Sound for me is always an easy fix with some hotmelt. Plus, I need to add a little weight to the head anywho.

Eager for next week when I can camp out on the Foresight GC2 and sort things out both shaft wise and in terms of settings.

2) For me, the SZ doesn’t sound good, but, more than anything that’s because of how the standard I hit before it sounds, and then just how good the SZ’s predecessors sounded.

Sound for me is always an easy fix with some hotmelt. Plus, I need to add a little weight to the head anywho.

Eager for next week when I can camp out on the Foresight GC2 and sort things out both shaft wise and in terms of settings.

I love the sound of the Epic SZ but don’t have any outdoor shots with the Epic Flash SZ to have an opinion on the sound. FWIW, I really disliked the sound of the original Epic - harsh compared to my Epic SZ. The Flash is only a couple yards longer than my Epic so I’m keeping my old ESZ in the bag for another year or two.

With the trade-in bonus ending soon, I put my Max up against the Epic Flash, G410, and M6 today at Goltec. With very inconsistent ball striking today, it still quickly became a showdown just between the Max and EF--though I had hit the 410 well just two weeks earlier. I've been living out on the toe and delofting at impact, producing even lower launch and spin than usual. So I tried the 12* EF head, and I still got slightly more launch and spin (still just below 2000) with the Max. My longest drive by 5 yards was the EF with Tensei Blue shaft in regular (258), but the best average went to the Max (237) with stock Alta shaft in stiff. I did put some truly awful swings on the EF--like barely caught it low or way out off the toe--and even those strikes would still get me total distance in the low 200s and would have been in the fairway. I'd take those results any day for those swings.

I just wish my swing was where I want it, because I just don't feel right making this purchase without knowing which head (10.5/12.0) or shaft (Tensei or Even Flow Green) to choose. Kind of bummed, BUT I want to get it right.

Today's round started off missing the fairway, predominantly left with either a pull or pull-draw. Decided to loft down at the 9th tee, opening the face. A few holes later decided to tee it up just a smidge higher and unlocked something. Hit two terrific drives on short par 5s. They felt smoked coming off the face, and where on the exact line I had wanted.

It isn't a feeling I've had too much of lately - really brought a smile to my face.

4g of hotmelt added to the SZ.

Won’t get to test it until next week though haha

Thats a cellular network not a sound deadening amount of hotmelt.

Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Drivers

Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Drivers

Thats a cellular network not a sound deadening amount of hotmelt.

BAHAHA. So much hot melt greatness

Three rounds outside now. I've found it to be crazy loud compared to what I found indoors. My buddy has a new G410 and it sounds so much more muted than the EFSZ.

It's not a deal breaker. But, it's a very significant change from my last two drivers. Both being Callaway Sub Zeros. Admittedly, I'm not swinging well and I'm not generating my typical speeds. The ball doesn't feel like it's compressing on the face as much as just bouncing off.

I'm really interested to see what you find with the hotmelt as I added 5 grams to the head in the form of a heavier front weight. If I can do the same with hot melt and deaden the sound a bit, I'm all for it. It'll have to be a DIY project though as there is no options locally for that.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back