Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

Anything to improve the sound, for me, a little bit.

I know you went deep into the rabbit hole already, but for me lofting down on the regular Flash may have just done the trick. Helped that I had a consistent left miss develop, but right now I feel very comfortable with the flight I'm seeing.

I know you went deep into the rabbit hole already, but for me lofting down on the regular Flash may have just done the trick. Helped that I had a consistent left miss develop, but right now I feel very comfortable with the flight I'm seeing.

Haha, yeah, Dnevs was awesome to bounce my situation and data off of. I think the SZ will give me some really good numbers, especially now that the SW’s will be more in the D4-D5 range I want/need.

As I've mentioned before, with the standard Flash I notice a difference in sound based on the firmness of the ball and where on the face I make contact. However, given the results I am getting with this driver in both distance and forgiveness, confirmed by Game Golf and the GPS on the cart, this thing could sound like a 105mm Howitzer going off over my head (and I know personally what that sounds like :) ) and I would not care - I'd find ear plugs if necessary.

Took the kid to the range last night, I spent a good bit of time working with my driver and saw some just outstanding results, lots of night high straight balls.

I do get what some are saying about the sound, it’s definitely loud with the range rocks, and I can see why some would dislike it. It seemed wildly different than the sound on the course.
Mike aka @e1iterate made the comment about being louder than the OG EPIC but I then asked him if he thought the standard Flash was as loud as the SZ and he said the Standard was quieter. I will say this. This is one of the first drivers I don't have any doubt when I pull it out of the bag. I liked hitting my M1 but I still had lots of doubt pulling it out of the bag on the tee and I absolutely love pulling this club out of the bag to hit. For me I love the sound of the CS hitting pure on the driver! It sounds so pure!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mike aka @e1iterate made the comment about being louder than the OG EPIC but I then asked him if he thought the standard Flash was as loud as the SZ and he said the Standard was quieter. I will say this. This is one of the first drivers I don't have any doubt when I pull it out of the bag. I liked hitting my M1 but I still had lots of doubt pulling it out of the bag on the tee and I absolutely love pulling this club out of the bag to hit. For me I love the sound of the CS hitting pure on the driver! It sounds so pure!

My standard was definitely more muted than my SZ.

My standard was definitely more muted than my SZ.
For me I love the sound. I know some are offput by it but it is substantially quieter than my M1 I had and I just love how audible it is in off center hits. Really helps you understand how you are hitting the ball and I love the sound of center struck hits. As soon as it comes off the face you know you just hit the crap out it and it's going a long ways lol.

Hitting drivers yesterday, I was sort of taken back by how loud the new Flash drivers are compared to Callaway's previous Epic driver.. especially the SubZero. It's not offputting to me as I've been known to love some pretty loud drivers (915 D2 is still one of my faves :D ) but it just caught me off guard that all that noise was coming from a Callaway driver. Numbers wise, they're both pretty solid. I had some issues getting the spin down on the standard flash, and the SZ had a shaft that wasn't quite right for me. I'm sure with a little time or a fitting I could easily get it dialed in.

Took the driver to the range today and left wanting more. Had to walk around and find a rubber tee that was a little shorter than the gigantic ones they have as the thought of throwing a sky mark on it scares me. Either need to buy some of that tape for the top, or get my own set up tees for the range. A course down the road from me has a grass range on one side (open half the time it seems), so I might just save the driver for that range instead.

First 8-10 shots I was fighting a bad slice that was almost clearing the net along the right side. Aimed left and almost felt like it was slicing even more. Tinkered with moving the ball a little further back and also away from me. Then remembered my main issue with it at ECPC was not turning my hands over enough and babying my swing. Once I committed to turning my body and hands over more and really putting more into the swing, it was BOMB CITY.

The net at the end of the range is 250 and I started hitting it on the fly and sometimes over. Sound felt a little better too, then I looked back at the club head and shots were much closer to the sweet spot. Left with a huge smile on my face.

For me I love the sound. I know some are offput by it but it is substantially quieter than my M1 I had and I just love how audible it is in off center hits. Really helps you understand how you are hitting the ball and I love the sound of center struck hits. As soon as it comes off the face you know you just hit the crap out it and it's going a long ways lol.

I don't notice the sound when I center it up.

I don't notice the sound when I center it up.
It sounds different than my old M1 but sound isn't something that really bothers me.

I finally got reminded of that center hit sound again today! If I didn't have 1/2 a bucket left after that first one over the net, I would have just threw the head cover back on and walked outta there. I don't hit it there often, but when I do... oh man!!!

I finally got reminded of that center hit sound again today! If I didn't have 1/2 a bucket left after that first one over the net, I would have just threw the head cover back on and walked outta there. I don't hit it there often, but when I do... oh man!!!
It just sounds so fricking good!

Just a couple stories on how good the EF is for me:

Wednesday I got off work early, it was national golf day after all, and went for 9 holes with the fam. As we finished the HS team was just finishing practice. One of the kids, I've seen him a few times, is buddies with my kids and they started talking. The HS kid looks at me and says I bet I can out drive you! I'm thinking crap I've seen this kid hit and I'm pretty sure he can :) i say ok let's give it a rip.

Our driving range is 225 all up hill with a 50' tall net at the back. I've been there 100s of times in the last 4 years and have yet to put one over the net. With the EF I can hit it but not make it over. He tees up and sails right over it, great I'm toast. There is a slight breeze behind us so I tee it a little higher and give it everything I have. BOOM! High flying, nutted baby draw that clears the net and then some, I had to yell fore to the group putting out on the hole 25 yards behind the net. We called it a draw, whooo didn't lose my man card to a 14 year old.

Second story, I've played with this guy almost every Sunday for the last 2 years. He has won 2 out of the last 3 club champions and hits it damn far and consistent
Friday after work we played a quick 9. Get to the 8th hole, 360 yard straight as can be tree lines par four. He smacks his new Taylormade right down the middle. It was into the ocean breeze but still hit well. I tee mine up and hit it dead center face close to his but figuring I've never out driven him so it will be close but I'm sure shorter than his. We are walking up and only see one ball, in the short stuff, he says must be yours, thinking he sees one 10 yards in front of it just in the ruff. As we get closer we see that the first one is white, I'm hitting yellow. We quickly figure out mine is the one 10 yards further. Being the good dude that he is, he starts smiling and offers a happy " it only took you 2 years but you finally out drove me"

It just sounds so fricking good!

I’ve noticed for me when I really crank one it almost sounds like an aluminum bat. I am of the opinion it could sound like nails on a chalkboard as long as it goes as far and straight as it does. Sounds doesn’t really matter to me. Results do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve noticed for me when I really crank one it almost sounds like an aluminum bat. I am of the opinion it could sound like nails on a chalkboard as long as it goes as far and straight as it does. Sounds doesn’t really matter to me. Results do.

I hit a couple of drives today that sounded a little more muted than usual. Checking the ball mark on the face I hit both to the heel side where I have the APW positioned. Distance was as good as ever as this club is very forgiving on heel hits but this also kind of reinforces my thought that the ball and where on the face the ball is stuck, and where the APW is positioned relative to the strike have a lot to do with the sound.

I have been pondering the triple diamond and went today to pull the trigger and apparently now they are not doing the trade bonus on that one (per the website), it was too late to call my CS guy when I finally made up my mind so Monday we will talk about it.

Do I need it? of course not the Flash SZ is fine, but boy do I want to try it.

I’m really not digging the sound from the triple diamond. IMHO I’m finding it quite a bit louder than the standard SZ head. Hitting balls at the range is nearly unbearable...lol. I’m kinda joking and kinda not. I haven’t given it much time, but atm I’m kinda missing the standard SZ head.

Finally got the see the Triple Diamond head beside a SZ head. I really like the standard SZ look way more. The straighter look to the face on the Triple Diamond does not suit my eye.

Finally get to try the Flash SZ with hotmelt added today at the practice round for state. Will report back this evening.

Finally get to try the Flash SZ with hotmelt added today at the practice round for state. Will report back this evening.
Looking forward to your thoughts!

Also, do you do your own hotmelt?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Looking forward to your thoughts!

Also, do you do your own hotmelt?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Once you hotmelt, there’s no playing a driver without it. Just brings a club to life IMO because of the exact nature of it - help exactly where you want it so that your confidence with the club rises 100%

I have been struggling with a 2 way miss (mostly left) and messing around with the settings to try and find a cure for a piss poor swing.

Found it this morning, N /+1 with the weight halfway to the toe and just swing hard, the results today were a nearly dead straight ball flight or a slight draw if I swung though the ball. Which has been tough to commit to with the left miss showing up so much.

If I got lazy it would fade or slice, I was trying to eliminate the hook left miss that has been eating me up and for today anyway these setting gave me the confidence to swing hard which always works better for me. More fairways gave me more good looks with the irons which were on point for this round making the game so much more fun.

Once you hotmelt, there’s no playing a driver without it. Just brings a club to life IMO because of the exact nature of it - help exactly where you want it so that your confidence with the club rises 100%

Good to know....never hot melted a club before but the trip diamond needs it.

Just finished a round in Myrtle beach with my G400 Max, left the SZ TD at home, and man o man the 400 is like home. The Snell ball sounded incredible off of it.

I’m really hoping to get the SZ TD going! Hot melt will happen when i get back home to NY.

Back