Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

Callaway Epic Flash Driver Initial Thoughts / Review / Feedback

Introduction

A little bit about my golfing self before diving into this driver. I am currently around an 11-12 handicap. I'd consider myself an average ball striker who has been struggling with driver for a couple seasons now. I swing my driver around 95-98 mph and my 7i around 82-83mph according to my most recent fitting at the ECPC. Before gaming the new Epic Flash driver (which I was extremely fortunate to receive at The Grandaddy brought to us by the incredible folks at Callaway and THP), I had been playing the Great Big Bertha driver for over 2.5 years. During that time, I played a 9.5* head set to +1D with the Mitsubishi Kuro Kage Black TiNi 50g regular flex shaft (which I was fit into). I also tinkered with other shafts, of which my favorite was the UST Mamiya Helium 5F4 proto (I was also fit into this shaft on a separate occasion with the XR16 head). My good misses are typically high straight pushes or push fades, but I do occasionally hook the ball as well. I have loved the profile, looks, and forgiveness of the GBB the entire time I've used it. I did not test the Epic or Rogue extensively, but I wasn't really a big fan of either (more on this below).

Technology & Looks

Familiar technology is here with Jailbreak to help increase ball speeds; with adjustability, including loft/lie via the dual cog adapter and a sliding weight to help impart more fade or more draw on the ball; and with triaxial carbon to create a lighter crown. In addition to the familiar, Callaway brought something truly unique and exciting to the table with Flash Face. Callaway's R&D team used a supercomputer, artificial intelligence and machine learning to run thousands and thousands of automated iterations to design a new face for the Epic Flash driver; they call it Flash Face. Traditional design processes would have only allowed for 5-7 iterations of the face, but the AI-based approach allowed for 15,000 (they could have done more, but you have to stop at some point and release a driver, right?). This new approach also allowed for a design that defies logic (well, human logic at least). It's important to note that the Epic Flash Sub Zero has a different face from the standard Epic Flash. Flash Face is designed to maximize ball speeds across the entire face, and Callaway's testing has shown that it does this better than their previous designs.

I'm a big fan of matte black heads on woods and hybrids, so I struggle to love the glossy crowns on the Epic, Rogue, and Epic Flash lines. That being said, it is already growing on me, and I think the Epic Flash is the best looking of the three. Many people don't seem to like the green and yellow accents, but I actually like the color combo a lot. Additionally, the triaxial carbon and the white line behind the chevron alignment aid look very cool.

Performance & Forgiveness

During my fitting, I achieved optimal performance with the standard Epic Flash 10.5* head set with the dual cog at SD paired with the Project X EvenFlow Green 55 in stiff (6.0) flex. I believe the weight of the shaft is around 58g. With this combination, I was able to carry the ball just under 240 yards. Based on my previous fitting and last couple years with the GBB, I was expecting a max carry of around 230-235 yards, so I'm quite happy with going beyond that.

f76df0a556054322811f4ee64bda2e51.jpg

I don't find the center of the face often enough, which means I end up being a good candidate for testing forgiveness. More testing is required over the coming months, but so far I'd say the forgiveness is helping me get to places my swing didn't deserve, which is always appreciated. I believe I've tested high on the face more than other misses, and I'll add more feedback as I 'explore' other regions of the Flash Face.

01089b9edab85d08129a314d28507c5e.jpg

Feel / Sound / Feedback

This is obviously very subjective, so take my thoughts (and anyone's) with a grain of salt since your feel and hearing is not the same as mine.

One of my least favorite things about the Epic and Rogue drivers was their sound / feel. Coming from the GBB, both sounded too muted and dead to me when I tested them outside on a range. This sound often accompanied a harsher feel than I preferred. I liked the Rogue a little bit more than the Epic, but it was hard for me to get beyond those first impressions with both. The Epic Flash, on the other hand, sounds and feels much better than both of the aforementioned predecessors. This was a big relief to me as it was one of the things I was most concerned with before my fitting. Well struck balls result in a unique sound I don't recall ever hearing from a driver before...there's something oddly satisfiying about it.

d0b4e557d8d3b1973b627cde3f55f2c6.jpg

Golfers who want feedback on their swings will be happy to know that they should be able to feel and hear when they don't make center contact.

Durability

Longer term testing is required to provide a really meaningful report on durability, but so far, the Epic Flash face hasn't shown any abnormal wear. I recently hit a drive fat and didn't have any issues cleaning off the embarassing amount of dirt on the sole. It's holding up to normal wear and tear just fine.

0df5437a37e57e4fd033ff9bda99bb13.jpg

31cf70325655633686cd12afc81c247b.jpg

8043d0f56f3a98b71974727190848d95.jpg

653fa20e5abd4ca39584e2ca542bdc52.jpg

More Info

https://www.thehackersparadise.com/callaway-epic-flash-epic-flash-sub-zero-drivers/

https://cmp.callawaygolf.com/epicflashdrivers/
I just got one. Love the sound and feel. Working on dialing in the settings now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good to know....never hot melted a club before but the trip diamond needs it.

Just finished a round in Myrtle beach with my G400 Max, left the SZ TD at home, and man o man the 400 is like home. The Snell ball sounded incredible off of it.

I’m really hoping to get the SZ TD going! Hot melt will happen when i get back home to NY.

Have fun but be very careful with hotmelt. I’d used lead tape first to understand what you want then read up exactly how much and for how long you’ll need to set the glue/melt. One bad move and you’ll have a very expensive paperweight

Today was by far the best outing I've had with my Flash. My little baby draw was back and I absolutely pounded a few drives. I haven't sniffed 300 yards in years and today I had one right around that and another that measured 328! Obviously my swing and the ball played a big part today but man that was fun!

Overall I hit 10 fairways with another being just off the fairway. I did get myself in to trouble a couple of times, once it led to double bogey, but overall I was extremely happy.

I had a bit of an out of body experience with Flash yesterday. I was conducting some unofficial personal ball testing off one of the tees so I hit 3 balls in a row - somehow I managed to hit a darn near identical flight with all 3. In the end the 3 balls were all in the fairway in very close proximity to each other, not quite under a blanket but pretty freaking close.

My main takeaway was that this driver and I are really clicking. All I need to do is deliver a halfway not puke-worthy swing and this driver will propel the balls roughly where I want them to go.

Have fun but be very careful with hotmelt. I’d used lead tape first to understand what you want then read up exactly how much and for how long you’ll need to set the glue/melt. One bad move and you’ll have a very expensive paperweight

Thanks, don’t worry, it will be left to a professional. A fairly local fitter (Novo Golf) does hot melt, I’ve just never had it done to my clubs.

If you just move deliberately, it’s hard to screw up.

Practice pulls onto a scale let you know exactly how many grams are going in.

Sound does not bother me with the SZ. I actually prefer it to the original SZ, which I thought was boring. Hitting range balls it can be loud, but on the course I don't have any issues with it. I am happy with the performance I have seen so far from the Flash SZ. My swing is far from dialed in so I am seeing some bad drives, but that is wholly on me.

Well after yesterday, I feel like I tamed this beast.
Picked up and installed a ROGUE® Silver 110 M.S.I Regular Flex shaft in it and set the cog at -1/D and got nice straight drives
I have the APW set half way to full draw.
I had this set up in South Carolina and was talked out of it for a lighter shaft - Went back and out it back in and it was "Money"

The -1/D on a 9* head seems counterintuitive to me however the results could not be argued with.
Excited to get the summer and some hard packed fairways.

I got the chance to demo an epic flash this weekend at my home course. Took a 9 degree head with the tensei blue stiff flex out along with my rogue which is a 9* and has an even flow blue stiff for comparison. I left the APW centered along with the stock settings on the adapter.

I started off the first few holes hitting my Rogue and hit some nice baby fade drives like I'm used too. Switched to the EF around the 5th hole and topped the first one trying to destroy that poor golf ball.

After that debacle I slowed down and started hitting it excellent. The baby fade that started with my rogue was gone and I was hitting nice straight drives. The sound really stuck out to me as being much better than the rogue but I don't mind a loud sound. Ball flight was similar between the 2 but I was seeing a small yardage gain with the EF.

Overall I really liked how it looked at address and my best drive of the day was a solid 10-15 yards further than I've ever been with the rogue. The biggest plus for me was it didn't fade the ball which the rogue seems to do no matter how I tinker with it.

Researching options as to how I might be able to get one in the bag sooner rather than later. The more confidence I had the better I hit it.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I've been trying to get some thoughts down on what I am seeing off the tee with this one. Originally I had the 10* head at +1, then +2 with the D setting. Launch was good, but the ball was ballooning on me and didn't have the trajectory I like to see. Also I had the APW all the way to the heel. While this helps with my right miss, it also takes away some of the forgiveness across the face.

After a few rounds I'm settled into the opti-fit setting of N/D, with the APW between Draw and Center. Launch is good, Trajectory is what I like to see and my carry numbers are in the window of what I need. The best part is my drives are pretty straight and a bad swing isn't penalizing me as I would have expected.

Yesterday was my first round playing with the ERC TT and I think I unlocked the extra distance that has been hit or miss for me with my previous rounds. I played a course I am pretty familiar with and I found myself further off the tee than in my previous rounds. I hit a couple yesterday that got into the upper 260 yardage wise and that is pretty long for me.

Overall confidence is pretty high with the tee game at the moment, and I hope that carries through the rest of the season.

I hit a couple of drives today that sounded a little more muted than usual. Checking the ball mark on the face I hit both to the heel side where I have the APW positioned. Distance was as good as ever as this club is very forgiving on heel hits but this also kind of reinforces my thought that the ball and where on the face the ball is stuck, and where the APW is positioned relative to the strike have a lot to do with the sound.
I agree with you here! Like I have stated before this driver is very audible as to where you hit it on the face which I really like bc it tells me if I am striking it in the right place.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

@rizzo269 YMMV but for me this is a sizable step up from the Rogue in consistency. I have had some disgusting misses, but that's completely based on absurd impact locations. I toed one pretty awful today and thought it did a good job. Other than that and my first swing of the day I felt in complete command of the driver.

I hit one of those "OMG that was great" drives by my standards again today. Was easily 10 yards further down than I had been on that hole.

Again, your experience may vary but i think loft to loft this may either launch or spin a little higher than the Rogue. I have mine more lofted down than I played the Rogue and feel that's unlocked some great results.

I am getting distances with the standard Epic Flash that I never even sniffed when I was younger. Of course, in those days it was balata balls and persimmon woods! LOL

Seriously, the distance I am getting at times even I can’t believe. Warmer temps, drier fairways are certainly helping but the club is the biggest factor.

I am getting distances with the standard Epic Flash that I never even sniffed when I was younger. Of course, in those days Noah needed a hand building the ark, so it was hard to find practice time.

FIFY hehehe.

I’ve noticed for me when I really crank one it almost sounds like an aluminum bat. I am of the opinion it could sound like nails on a chalkboard as long as it goes as far and straight as it does. Sounds doesn’t really matter to me. Results do.

100 per cent

This year has been an absolute stinker of a start for me. My swing is hot garbage right now. I can attest at how forgiving this club is. Trust me, I have used a lot more real estate across the face than I care to admit. It isn't my favorite sound. But, it also doesn't help that I have been making some pretty terrible contact at times. If anything, I know when I miss it by the audible cues but get to reap the benefit of not losing as much distance as I typically would.

Also, it's crazy at how compact the SZ seems at address. For a 460cc head, it definitely doesn't look it.

FIFY hehehe.

See - thats what I want in a teammate/friend!!!!! That's why I want a part of Team THP for 2019. Nothing but love for one another days/weeks/months after the event. Quick with the jokes but there for one another when it matters. You guys were awesome to get to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil75070 View Post
I am getting distances with the standard Epic Flash that I never even sniffed when I was younger. Of course, in those days Noah needed a hand building the ark, so it was hard to find practice time.

FIFY hehehe.

Herding all those animals two by two was the hardest part. And I told him not to bring along that pair of mosquitoes. But would he listen? Noooooo!

Having found some miraculous swing fix in my sleep since this past Sunday, hitting the SZ has been almost stupid easy, aim down the right center and swing hard. Not always centerface and really the majority seem to be low center and still did not have than a 8 iron into any Par 4 today and a lot of them were PW or AW when more in the center.

Now it was a 6,000 yard course so there is that, but being able to see the ball and a quite a few turn over a bit with a draw or just straight down the right side. I hate to get too bold and actually aim down the center in fear of the hook coming back but so far so good and all it took was a change in settings.....see it is the club not the nut swinging it :banghead:

For those with a sz and who have fought a fade/slice in previous sz models, does the closed face and weight in the heel help enough?

For those with a sz and who have fought a fade/slice in previous sz models, does the closed face and weight in the heel help enough?
I don't find the face to be closed. Neutral to sightly open. Haven't got enough mileage on mine to say that the moveable weight is making any significant difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I don't find the face to be closed. Neutral to sightly open. Haven't got enough mileage on mine to say that the moveable weight is making any significant difference.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Sorry, didn't word that very well. I meant if you closed the face by changing the sleeve did it help with the fade bias.

Sorry, didn't word that very well. I meant if you closed the face by changing the sleeve did it help with the fade bias.

I’ve not seen any overdone fade bias. I’m one who battled that with the Epic SZ and Rogue SZ, but haven’t here.

And hotmelt helped a ton with sound, but, it’s still on the loud side of drivers out there.

I've been trying to get some thoughts down on what I am seeing off the tee with this one. Originally I had the 10* head at +1, then +2 with the D setting. Launch was good, but the ball was ballooning on me and didn't have the trajectory I like to see. Also I had the APW all the way to the heel. While this helps with my right miss, it also takes away some of the forgiveness across the face.

After a few rounds I'm settled into the opti-fit setting of N/D, with the APW between Draw and Center. Launch is good, Trajectory is what I like to see and my carry numbers are in the window of what I need. The best part is my drives are pretty straight and a bad swing isn't penalizing me as I would have expected.

Yesterday was my first round playing with the ERC TT and I think I unlocked the extra distance that has been hit or miss for me with my previous rounds. I played a course I am pretty familiar with and I found myself further off the tee than in my previous rounds. I hit a couple yesterday that got into the upper 260 yardage wise and that is pretty long for me.

Overall confidence is pretty high with the tee game at the moment, and I hope that carries through the rest of the season.

I watched this round first hand and it was impressive. Mike hit cut after cut with this driver all day and it was very consistent. I planned to hit it at some point but I left my good swing at home that day. I wanted my EXS to stack up but it was not to be.

I watched this round first hand and it was impressive. Mike hit cut after cut with this driver all day and it was very consistent. I planned to hit it at some point but I left my good swing at home that day. I wanted my EXS to stack up but it was not to be.

You should have taken a couple of cuts, it might have straightened you out! Lol

Back