Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

I’ve not seen any overdone fade bias. I’m one who battled that with the Epic SZ and Rogue SZ, but haven’t here.

And hotmelt helped a ton with sound, but, it’s still on the loud side of drivers out there.

Would you say it's just as loud but with a deeper tone to it now? How is it comparing to the F9 for you? I hit it the other day and was blown away by the feel of it. It warrants further consideration.

For those with a sz and who have fought a fade/slice in previous sz models, does the closed face and weight in the heel help enough?
I don't know about closed face but the features which give us adjustability do work to change ball flight.

Would you say it's just as loud but with a deeper tone to it now? How is it comparing to the F9 for you? I hit it the other day and was blown away by the feel of it. It warrants further consideration.

Its a touch more solid now, still on the loud side though, for me.

Neck and neck at the moment. Need some extended LM time to sort it out, of course, come June and the event I'm headed to there will be another challenger.

Dying to get these side by side with my 816. Curious to see the difference

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dying to get these side by side with my 816. Curious to see the difference

It will blow it out of the water. I played the 816 DBD for a while and for me the Epic Flash maintains the dispersion I loved about the 816, but adds more distance to the equation.

It will blow it out of the water. I played the 816 DBD for a while and for me the Epic Flash maintains the dispersion I loved about the 816, but adds more distance to the equation.
My pocket book gonna hate you for this

Just trying to help you enjoy the game!
I know. I've purposely not hit it yet but fighting the urge is getting harder

Played today - nothing groundbreaking but kept everything in play. Now I hit a couple balls too low and with the saturated, wet grass left a lot of yards on the table. May be wrong, but think the ball may have caused some of the lower launch (MTB vs the Kirkland or V1X). Before the rains came did have a 270 yarder and later one just over 250. Still, today's average was lower than normal.

Speaking of averages, I checked out my Shotscope #s. Now admittedly I haven't been using it too much this year, but based on my usage -
I am 5 yards P-Average longer than the Rogue this year. A couple of yards shorter than last year, but the courses I was playing last year featured a TON of roll, so I think it's pretty close distance wise. In terms of accuracy, holding steady at 50%. Difference being that last year I consistently had penalties off the tee, whereas the EF is staying in play. I felt a little bit feast of famine for a lot of last year with the Rogue.

Right now the triple diamond is the only driver that has my attention.

Looking over my Arccos stats today. I've got 13 rounds in so far this year (most of the 9 hole variety though).

Last year with Game Golf and a Rogue SZ I averaged 279 and hit 40% of FWs.

So far this year with the EF SZ I'm averaging 285 and hitting 56% FWs.

By this time next month I'll have 5 rounds on some really tough courses. It'll be interesting to see where the stats move as the summer progresses.

Oh boy, I had some fun with this club yesterday. Some very long very good drives. Drives that make me re-think what club i pull on a few holes. The course we play for our work league is a short course, and there are several holes with water in the 250 range, I was short on one of them by about 3’ and that was because I missed a little and went right, if it had been a straight shot I’d have been wet. The other hole I was wet.

I’ve got a nemesis hole out there, major road runs down the left side. I. The last few year I’ve put more balls on that road than I’d care to admit, last night...straight down the pipe. It was a happy moment. I feel a lot more comfortable with this driver than I have with any driver in the past, and I’m starting to really get my swing under control.

Oh boy, I had some fun with this club yesterday. Some very long very good drives. Drives that make me re-think what club i pull on a few holes. The course we play for our work league is a short course, and there are several holes with water in the 250 range, I was short on one of them by about 3’ and that was because I missed a little and went right, if it had been a straight shot I’d have been wet. The other hole I was wet.

I’ve got a nemesis hole out there, major road runs down the left side. I. The last few year I’ve put more balls on that road than I’d care to admit, last night...straight down the pipe. It was a happy moment. I feel a lot more comfortable with this driver than I have with any driver in the past, and I’m starting to really get my swing under control.

It's a great feeling when the club does exactly what you want it to do! Nemesis holes... NO MORE!!

Drove the ball well yesterday. I am finally getting things to calm down a bit. My timing is improving after an atrocious start to the season. Still a little gun shy standing over the ball and my swing is a little tentative. But, I think I missed the center of the clubface once yesterday. I was lining up for a slight draw to cut a corner off of a dog leg right with some trees directly in front of the tee box. Aiming through a small chute between a couple trees. Took a mighty lash at it. Hit it so far off the toe it wasn't funny. The ball started left of my aim point, cleared the trees which means it launched super high. Drew slightly and off it went. When I got to the ball, I was surprised to see it was exactly where I would have expected it to be if I hit it dead square. I showed my buddy where I hit it on the face and we were both expecting it to be in a bunker. He just laughed when we saw it cleared the bunker by a good 30 yards.

This thing retains ball speed like no other driver I have played before.

You were right. Hit the regular epic and rogue sub 0. Much more forgiving and freaky long. Waiting to hit epic 0

Finally hit the regular sub zero today. It felt okay. Kinda disappointed with the spin. There wasnt many if any x flex shafts on fitting rack, but dear lord I was spinning the ball around the 3k mark.

That said, the triple diamond has a look that still has me thinking.

I really wish the SZ sounded like the standard. That or I wish I’d gone 9* in the standard.

Just can’t get over the sound and feel right now, hotmelt helped, but it’s still outside my wheelhouse.

Numbers are solid, but if I don’t get comfortable with all aspects of the stick it won’t matter in the long run.

This one is shafted up for me with a UST Helium Photo cut to 45.5 after fitting at UST Mamiya. Tested a ton of heads and this one was dead spot on for me. Really hitting it well.

This one is shafted up for me with a UST Helium Photo cut to 45.5 after fitting at UST Mamiya. Tested a ton of heads and this one was dead spot on for me. Really hitting it well.

Standard EF at 10.5?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Standard EF at 10.5?

Yes sir. Playing it at 11.5, and getting 14 degrees of launch and around 2700 rpms of spin during the fitting. Im not playing as much as I want to, so every swing is a bit different (unlike most on the internet), but Im seeing forgiveness here that is pretty darn awesome. During the Range Days episode, @Canadan spoke a bit about this with this head.

Yes sir. Playing it at 11.5, and getting 14 degrees of launch and around 2700 rpms of spin during the fitting. Im not playing as much as I want to, so every swing is a bit different (unlike most on the internet), but Im seeing forgiveness here that is pretty darn awesome. During the Range Days episode, @Canadan spoke a bit about this with this head.

Yeah, I agree JB. I feel like I’m getting a lot of performance from some pretty bad strikes with the standard EF. And then nutted it’s as long as anything.

That’s a great setup for you with some solid numbers. Not a lot of spin by any means. Probably a real stable flight.

I have our club demo in play today and I don’t think I’ve hit the center of the head yet. I blame yard work.

Still getting a ton of carry and really not much error in accuracy. I can dig that for sure.

Anyone want to trade a 9* Flash for my 10.5 SZ?

Can’t get over the sound/feel here. Sad James is sad.

I really wish the SZ sounded like the standard. That or I wish I’d gone 9* in the standard.

Just can’t get over the sound and feel right now, hotmelt helped, but it’s still outside my wheelhouse.

Numbers are solid, but if I don’t get comfortable with all aspects of the stick it won’t matter in the long run.

How is it doing against the F9? That's the only other driver that is really tempting me at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have our club demo in play today and I don’t think I’ve hit the center of the head yet. I blame yard work.

Still getting a ton of carry and really not much error in accuracy. I can dig that for sure.

I had a Custom Flash with an Atmos Black fall into my hands and had it in the bag today, along with the my F9 from the Morgan Cup. I alternated drivers through the round. They both are incredible heads, but I don’t know that I have ever hit a driver that felt more forgiving for my swing tendencies than the F9. Really good club.

Back