Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

tour only and pretty tough to get one without spending alot of $$$$.
That's my issue. Why is it tour only? TM releases a 440 model every year. If it wasn't worth their time and effort, they would do it. I can't imagine these wouldn't sell.

That's my issue. Why is it tour only? TM releases a 440 model every year. If it wasn't worth their time and effort, they would do it. I can't imagine these wouldn't sell.

Most amateurs don’t need a 440 head

They may sell but I have a feeling it would be a pretty small population that would buy them. It would be interesting to try one for sure.

Most amateurs don’t need a 440 head
A lot of people love the 440cc G400. The Titleist drivers of the past at least the D3 line were about the same size. Some just prefer a smaller head. I'm not saying release a 1:1 ratio of 460 to 440 heads. But, they already went through the trouble of designing a head, two in this case.

And finally, there are amateurs out there that can play a 440 head just fine. My friend picked up at least 15-20 yards switching from to the M1 440. Didn't lose any accuracy either. Plus, some folks could use even more spin reduction than a lot of the 460 heads can offer.

Personally, I just prefer a smaller club head. I don't like anything too large. I'm sure the 460 SZ will still look good. But, I'd really like to try the smaller footprint.

I got fit for my EPIC when it came out at Club Champion and have the Aerotech Ti-Fiber shaft. It has been great and didnt think I would buy anything in the driver realm for a long time. I dont think I can resist this one. The good news is possibly my shaft that is fitted to me should be a match. I hope......

A lot of people love the 440cc G400. The Titleist drivers of the past at least the D3 line were about the same size. Some just prefer a smaller head. I'm not saying release a 1:1 ratio of 460 to 440 heads. But, they already went through the trouble of designing a head, two in this case.

And finally, there are amateurs out there that can play a 440 head just fine. My friend picked up at least 15-20 yards switching from to the M1 440. Didn't lose any accuracy either. Plus, some folks could use even more spin reduction than a lot of the 460 heads can offer.

Personally, I just prefer a smaller club head. I don't like anything too large. I'm sure the 460 SZ will still look good. But, I'd really like to try the smaller footprint.

Couple of things to note. Size doesn’t impact or remove spin necessarily.

Another note is 20 cc is not a lot of actual space depending on how shaping is done. Because it’s not a measurement of size in terms of inches or mm. A 460 head can look as small as a 440 head based on shape and style.

With that said, that’s the beauty of golf equipment. There are choices for everybody and if someone decides they can’t play a 460cc head or they believe they are giving up yards somehow with that, then other options exist.

They may sell but I have a feeling it would be a pretty small population that would buy them. It would be interesting to try one for sure.
Not trying to turn this into a debate by any means. But, their largest competitor has been releasing a 430/440 for years now. There must be someone buying them.

I'm still on board with the Epic Flash. But, partly because I have shafts at the ready. The M5 Tour almost pulled me away. But, with their reviews showing minimal gains, I figured I could pick up an M3 440 to scratch that itch pretty cheap this season.

I’d say they don’t for the same reason Titleist sells the mass produced ProV’s to the general public and most of their players on tour are playing a different ProV. There’s just not much profit to be made selling tour level equipment to the public.

Couple of things to note. Size doesn’t impact or remove spin necessarily.

Another note is 20 cc is not a lot of actual space depending on how shaping is done. Because it’s not a measurement of size in terms of inches or mm. A 460 head can look as small as a 440 head based on shape and style.

With that said, that’s the beauty of golf equipment. There are choices for everybody and if someone decides they can’t play a 460cc head or they believe they are giving up yards somehow with that, then other options exist.
This is true. The 815 DBD was one of my favorite head designs. And it looked nowhere near 460cc. I loved the super tall face of it.

In regards to spin reduction. That reference was made in part because it seems that when an OEM releases a smaller version of a 460 club, it's typically lower spinning than it's larger brother.

Personally, I have a few preference check marks that a club has to have for me. One, the head has to be somewhat compact, the more the better. Two, the face can't be too shallow, preferably pretty deep. Three, the sound has to be reasonable. These preferences have kept me away from other designs in the past (mainly Ping drivers).

No doubt the Epic Flash will fulfill these. I just was hoping to see it taken a little further. When I saw their tour options got the diamond markings like the 815 and 816 Alphas, I was hoping it meant we may see them at retail.

So, I said that I didn't want to debate, and here I am doing just that, ha. I guess I was mainly curious if it was possibly mentioned as a future limited release. If that were the case, I'd hold off on my pre-order until that time and just stick with current Epic a little while longer.

I will add this, the diamond versions don't even have to be 440. Even if it were just more compact with a taller face, I'd like to give it a try

I haven’t read much about the sliding weight. Up until now it’s been about the design and face.

The weight track appears to be smaller across the back of the club when compared to other versions, why is that?

How did the weight play into the fitting for Team THP?

I haven’t read much about the sliding weight. Up until now it’s been about the design and face.

The weight track appears to be smaller across the back of the club when compared to other versions, why is that?

just asked on SM about shorter builds and if callaway will adjust weight in APW track accommodate the shorter shaft.

I think most all of us hackers have the weight in the Draw position hahah.

I moved my weight around a little bit at the range today and it ended up back in the Draw position.

just asked on SM about shorter builds and if callaway will adjust weight in APW track accommodate the shorter shaft.

This is what I would like to know.

I think most all of us hackers have the weight in the Draw position hahah.

I moved my weight around a little bit at the range today and it ended up back in the Draw position.

I guess my question is how much does it affect the shot shape on a smaller track?

The epic had a larger area for the weight to slide and that could be because of the tech in the Epic vs the tech in the Epic Flash.

I guess my question is how much does it affect the shot shape on a smaller track?

The epic had a larger area for the weight to slide and that could be because of the tech in the Epic vs the tech in the Epic Flash.

Moving from full draw to neutral I saw a change of maybe 5 yards or so. That is just my best guess and the sample size was very small.

As far as the smaller track is concerned I can’t remember if this was discussed or not. My best theory on that would be weight conservation and distribution. They probably had to make the track smaller so they could allocate more weight to the Flash Face (pure speculation)

This driver looks awesome.....except for the color. Does anyone think that Callaway is trying to sell Callaway Custom be choosing this odd green and gold combo?

Posted in another thread that had a pic. The stock headcover is straight fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

f41b25f47b9d3d6c032fc3b865b08027.jpg

I’ve seen this Headcover... Wasn’t sure if the stock Headcover is similar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This driver looks awesome.....except for the color. Does anyone think that Callaway is trying to sell Callaway Custom be choosing this odd green and gold combo?

I don't think that at all! This is a continuation, an iteration on the Epic line of woods which also had the green color. To differentiate the Flash from the older Epic I'm not sure what color one could pick to go with the green other than the yellow. I admit to not being a big fan of the color scheme but I always use headcovers so the only time I see the sole is that brief time between taking it out of the bag and setting up to hit the ball. The yellow line at the back of the head is not distraction, nor is the gray line near the front of the crown, at least for me. Once I am lined up and set up over the ball, the ball becomes my focus even down to a specific dimple sometimes. I never notice anything else about the club from that point on. The performance more than outweighs any issues I might have had with the aesthetics.

I'm honestly not sure. I think they want the club to be easily recognizable in peoples hands maybe?

I think they know that the "Internet prosumers" would mostly prefer a nice sleek black paint scheme of some variety so their choice to go full Masters colors must have a lot of reasoning behind it...I'm just not sure what it is.

My Epic Flash driver was absolutely on point today and in fact performed much better than I expected. This was my first round with my new gear on my home course so it was a lot of fun seeing where I ended up on each hole.
I only had one shot today with my Flash driver that I would classify as a miss, and it was a push-fade that stayed in bounds but required a chip out and led to bogey. Otherwise this thing was point-n-shoot all day long. First hole was a 410 par 4 and after blistering a drive straight down the pipe I had 125 remaining. On the tightest driving hole on the course I ripped one up the right side well beyond my playing partners. I could go on and on but the fact is the driver performed extremely well. It's keeping the ball between the trees and it is really pumping the ball down each hole.

This driver and I didn't get off to the best start at The Hideaway where I was struggling to keep the driver from going right, so there was no real honeymoon period this time around for me. That said, these last few rounds are really starting to build confidence and trust in the driver & I'm excited to continue working with it. I am really starting to feel like this driver and I are going to get along extremely well and I can't freaking wait to see where my shots end up once the temps rise and the ground firms up a little.

Apologies if I missed it in the thread, but who could benefit from the Epic Flash SZ versus the Epic Flash, and vice versa?

Apologies if I missed it in the thread, but who could benefit from the Epic Flash SZ versus the Epic Flash, and vice versa?

Speaking to the fitter yesterday about this, the biggest change is going to be a bit of a flatter flight and a little less spin. Both drivers would fall into the low spin spectrum, but the SZ is going to be the lower of the two.

I started out my driver fitting with the sub zero and was having some issues hooking the ball so we moved the weight to the fade position and it seemed to straighten things out a bit. I went from duck hooks to manageable draws. Once I moved over to the regular Flash I never had any shot shape issues so we didn't play around with the weight.

In my fitting my Fitter was convinced I'd end up in the Sub Zero driver so we started there. I actually had very good numbers but I had the large right miss that just kept showing up, so we slammed the weight all the way heel and never looked back. When we moved to the standard Flash driver we started with the weight all the way heel and left it there.
In my previous gamer driver, the OG Epic, I always had the weight heelside so none of this was a surprise to me.

I started out my driver fitting with the sub zero and was having some issues hooking the ball so we moved the weight to the fade position and it seemed to straighten things out a bit. I went from duck hooks to manageable draws. Once I moved over to the regular Flash I never had any shot shape issues so we didn't play around with the weight.

In my fitting my Fitter was convinced I'd end up in the Sub Zero driver so we started there. I actually had very good numbers but I had the large right miss that just kept showing up, so we slammed the weight all the way heel and never looked back. When we moved to the standard Flash driver we started with the weight all the way heel and left it there.
In my previous gamer driver, the OG Epic, I always had the weight heelside so none of this was a surprise to me.

Thanks guys, sounds like the smaller track doesn’t take away from being able to tame the ball flight if needed.

Back