Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

Thanks guys, sounds like the smaller track doesn’t take away from being able to tame the ball flight if needed.
In my case it wasnt enough to cure the "rights" but it was definitely impactful. Probably went from a 30-50 yard miss to a 20-30 yard miss, but I have no data to support those numbers - just eyeballs

In my case it wasnt enough to cure the "rights" but it was definitely impactful. Probably went from a 30-50 yard miss to a 20-30 yard miss, but I have no data to support those numbers - just eyeballs

And we all know there isn’t any club that’s going to fix swing path which is a direct cause of the “rights” or “lefts”

I’m glad this APW can still help tame it

Posted in another thread that had a pic. The stock headcover is straight fire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I too like the stock headcovers! The contrast of the Green and Yellow with the White is just awesome looking!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Apologies if I missed it in the thread, but who could benefit from the Epic Flash SZ versus the Epic Flash, and vice versa?
it was a matter of spin for me in the fitting. I was in the low 3Ks with the Flash at 10.5*, low 2Ks with the SZ at 10.5* and in the 2700-2800 range with the SZ AT 11.5* (we went with this last configuration).

It wasn’t my best day today by a long shot with the SZ. But the good news is I think I figured out some stuff and will be seeing more goodness moving forward.

I like testing new drivers and I always test the Callaway stuff first. This won't be an exception.

Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Drivers

Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Drivers

The tech is supremely intriguing and it along with what I'm sure will be an avalanche of positive reviews, will be plenty to ensure that I give it a go someday.

But good grief do I hate those colors? Purely a preference issue as I've for my entire life I've hated that green, even more so with the gold. Blech.

I haven't sensed that I've hit any out on the toe to get a feel for the forgiveness on those shots, but I have definitely hit a couple of low bullets off toward the heel and was absolutely amazed by how little distance I had lost compared to well struck drives on the very same hole.

As I continue my reviews of the Epic Flash driver I've come to the performance. My first review focused on the tech, the looks, and the sound & feel so I won't get back into that at this time, but you can find all that in Post #2 of this thread.

By the time my fitting ended and we were finalizing the build sheet I was absolutely striping the Epic Flash. The dispersion circle on the Trackman software was ridiculously tight for a driver and I left that fitting bay with 100% confidence in the driver setup. The next morning on The Hideaway driving range this trend would continue - I was ready to take this driver and crush some hearts!

So imagine my confusion when I just couldn't get this success to transfer to the golf course. The cold realization that there would be no glorious honeymoon period with this driver hit me pretty hard and I found myself really searching for something almost immediately. Distance was not the issue at all. In fact, I was ripping the ball out there pretty good right from the get go but I just could not shake the right miss. It wasn't ridiculous but it was just big enough to keep me in the right bunkers, water right, and the occasional hazard. I was also getting just enough glimpses of brilliance that I wasn't just leaving driver in the bag but kept working to try and get it going. My first drive with it was blocked bomb into a hazard on the right. My second drive was a perfect 290 yard bullet down the middle. This hot'n'cold trend would continue for my entire time at The Hideaway.
Needless to say, I wasn't thrilled with my inability to consistently find fairways with my new Epic Flash. Was it me or the club? Probably 99% me, but I came away feeling like this driver had a higher tendency towards leaving the face open through the zone than my previous gamer.

Since then I've really started to get this driver on a leash and I'm using it to quarterback some really solid rounds of winter golf back home. I'm building trust with it and I'm already confidently pulling it on some tight driving holes where discretion is the name of the game. I pulled Epic Flash 9 times in my round yesterday and found the fairway with 7 of them, just missed with 1, and ended up in a really bad spot with 1. Distance was really solid as well especially considering the ground is completely saturated and the temps were in the 40's, I found myself in all the same spots on my home course that I would expect to be with solid drives.
The flight is really nice as well and extremely repeatable and stable. A playing partner commented yesterday that my ball flight was very "purposeful" and while I don't know exactly what that means it sounds good to me. The ball steadily climbs to a nice high (by my standards) apex but then still seems to be landing with plenty of momentum - I know I'm going to see some nice additional roll out once the conditions allow it.

I don't have the numbers from my fitting at ECPC but I really wish I did since I was absolutely pounding the ball down range. I have had my driver on a GC2 (no HMT) back home since then and here are the numbers. These numbers are an average of the 6 drives that I hit:
Ball Speed: 153.3 mph
Launch: 14.8*
Backspin: 2391
Peak Height: 39 yards (117 ft)
Descent Angle: 41*
Carry: 266 yards
Dispersion Range: -18 to +15
Dispersion Average: 1 yard Left

My predominant shot shape was a ball that starts left and fades back to the right. Also of note are two shots in that mix which were extremely poor low-heel strikes but which still had ball speeds of 151 and 152. Impressive. Also these 6 swings were me trying to hit a target, not swinging all out. I know I can get more speed out of this head and I look forward to gathering that data at a future time.

If anyone has any questions I'll do my best to answer!

Army, I got a chance to watch your fitting and by the time you were done it was absolutely like point and shoot.

Army, I got a chance to watch your fitting and by the time you were done it was absolutely like point and shoot.

I'm glad somebody witnessed it, because I was surprising myself lol.

Can I ask did any of the granddaddy group go for rogue in the end of the day? And was there a noticeable again between both?

Can I ask did any of the granddaddy group go for rogue in the end of the day? And was there a noticeable again between both?

No, everybody went to the Flash line.
There are a few posts in here from participants talking about coming from Epic and Rogue.

I am coming from the Rogue. My very early impressions are the SZ Flash is longer. I found more fairways with the Rogue but it’s really early with the Flash so maybe the comparison isn’t fair

Last edited:
I am coming from the Rogue. My very early impressions are the SZ Flash is longer. I found more fairways with the Rogue but it’s really early with the Flash so maybe the comparison maybe isn’t fair

Dear me. When i thought @jman impression of the EXS was better than the rogue and went for it, I would be safe. Now comes another to fight off.

Did you find you lost any forgiveness? It seems some commented to say the rogue was more forgiving but the epic flash was further

So had a few rough holes today off the tee at the beginning but it wasnt due to the driver. I had my right arm out like a chicken wing lol. Once I tucked that in, I was pounding them today. I hit multiple drives of 270+ that plugged in the fairway bc it was so wet. No role at all! I love this driver! It was 55 degrees no wind and sunny today with very very wet conditions. I kept trying to get my buddy to hit and he wouldn't because he said if he hit it he knew he would want one! He saw me pounding them today and he said he really liked the looks of the driver too.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Got to see the Flash in action today, and even took a swing with it. The sound is definitely better than the original epic line, as that was my biggest gripe with the OG Epic. Callaway has certainly improved upon that. Watched Matt hit some absolute bombs with the flash today. I took a swing, and a poor one at that. Caught the ball a little low on the toe, and ended up in the left rough, but with surprising distance considering the strike. Jailbreak is certainly proven at this point, and this will certainly be a contender for most when doing a fitting.

To each their own I suppose. I thought the headcover were hideous. But, since I don't use the stock headcovers on any club it is inconsequential. I don't like to advertise to any potential thieves that there is a new club underneath. That and my daughters bought me a headcover years ago that I like to use.

Lol! I'm a little paranoid about my babies myself. I use the stock Callaway Pre-Owned generic headcovers that they ship with used clubs. I still try to post one of my kids with the bags when possible when checking in or grabbing them a dog at the turn. If I can't post a kid with the bags, my Circle T goes in with me, even though it's in a generic headcover too.

They may sell but I have a feeling it would be a pretty small population that would buy them. It would be interesting to try one for sure.

I have the R15 430, SLDR 430, 2016 M1 430, 2017 M1 440, and I traded away an M3 440 to a great forum member here. For those that fight the spin monster, they're generally a couple hundred RPM's lower. I did have a harder time getting rid of the M3 440 than I expected to. I had it well under the price the 460's were going for here and elsewhere online and could only find someone to trade for it. So there's certainly less demand in the general public but if TM didn't sell enough to make it worth it for them, they wouldn't do it Year in and year out.

Since I'd have a hard time justifying paying likely 1k or more for a Callaway Tour Issue head only, I'll just have to wonder if they'd be the best fit for me.

I'll still have an Epic Flash SZ at or near release though or I will give up golf and take up quilting! I hear it's relaxing and I am getting older.

I was ready to just order the Flash SZ once they roll out the trade in trade up bonus and get it for basically nothing but now the Rogue SZ is working just fantastic so it may get more bag time. I would think if pre orders start on the 11th the clubs may not ship until after the 1st of Feb.

Which is plenty of time for the Rogue SZ to go cold again...and maybe find a place to demo them and see if there is a improvement for me.

I was ready to just order the Flash SZ once they roll out the trade in trade up bonus and get it for basically nothing but now the Rogue SZ is working just fantastic so it may get more bag time. I would think if pre orders start on the 11th the clubs may not ship until after the 1st of Feb.

Which is plenty of time for the Rogue SZ to go cold again...and maybe find a place to demo them and see if there is a improvement for me.

Full details on store arrival date and more on the home page article in the first link in the thread.

Just wanted to give the Grandaddy guys a huge shoutout for their thoughts in this thread. The tech story is very cool, and your adventures with the clubs so far were a blast to read!

I cannot wait to try one for myself.

Just wanted to give the Grandaddy guys a huge shoutout for their thoughts in this thread. The tech story is very cool, and your adventures with the clubs so far were a blast to read!

I cannot wait to try one for myself.

The tech story in this one is beyond anything I’ve seen. There’s a LOT of good stuff in the full lineup, but every time we got to ask questions, we kept coming back to this.

This will be very interesting going forward, I think we’ll see similar processes used in other places, and that may well end up being a bigger or more surprising story. (I’m just guessing here)

It's been fun to get out on a familiar course with the Epic Flash for comparison (not direct, but based on knowing my usual spots) to the XR16 I came from. If we're talking off-center hits, I'm confident in saying the Flash is noticeably longer, especially when you stray far away from the center. I'm seeing some great distances even playing in wet conditions on a day when we had balls plugging in the middle of the fairway. When you're playing new equipment at an event and see a distance increase you never know if it's adrenaline playing some of the role, but this has translated to at least more consistently longer drives since I got back home.

Yesterday was also an interesting round as well to think about dispersion and directional forgiveness as well - I very much had my usual miss going. There are a couple holes where a bit of an overdraw will kill you, and I remained on the planet on the type of swing I'd be walking downhill to another fairway on a couple holes after thinking "that's gone". I have absolutely zero stats to back this up but I feel like my worst shots haven't been as bad since putting the Flash in play. That's not to say I'm striping every shot down the middle - there's still some getting used to the driver, and I think once it's completely dialed in it's going to be dangerous for me.

Back