Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

Why do think the difference in the head throws of the balance? I see the swing weight with the Flash is D3 and Sub-Zero is D4. Think maybe it’s too light?

I agree with assessment of the EF Green. It’s a winner.

no idea. but it was immediately noticeable when he put it in my hands. i told him i didn’t like the way it felt in waggles. then i tried to hit it and it was a hot mess.

maybe you’re right, with proper swingweighting it wouldn’t be an issue. i think the flash should be the driver for me over the sz. but going by tonight, it was the opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

tested this tonight at pgatss. sz first, then regular. evenflow green for most of the testing, tried tensei blue a bit but i didn’t love it.

we started off with my gamer. ping g400 max 10.5 turned down to 9.5 with accra fx 360 m4. ball speed just shy of 150. launch around 12*, spin mid 2k, carry just shy of 250. i think a proper fitting with this setup could unleash even more potential.

the fitter wanted to start with the flash sz efg 55 6.0. immediately in my hands i loved the look and loved the balance. ball speed about 1-2mph faster than gamer, launch around 13*, spin low 2k, carry 255 and more rollout. didn’t really see a change in dispersion. sound was totally fine. i couldn’t believe that the sz was working so well for me. high toe was awesome. low toe hung out to the right and lost about 15-20 yards.

then we went to flash with the same shaft. immediately i noticed a change in the balance of the club. and just like the original epic, i couldn’t find the middle of the face. gave it back after 3 swings. bizarre that i struggled so badly, and maybe with more time i could make it work. but if i had to decide tonight, it would completely off the table.

we swapped the tensei blue into the sz. flight was a lot flatter. turned one over with a perfectly centered hit, but path was pretty much neutral and spin dropped to 1,800 so i didn’t get enough carry. i hit a couple more i thought were nutted, only to have it fall out of the sky.

we moved the sliding weight more to draw, but i didn’t like the feel as much. we put the efg back in, and i liked it but i think i would want the weight back to center and maybe lifted up a bit to close the face.

i want a more robust fitting. if i get the max dialed in, i think it will be as good or better than the sz. so right now i am not ready to take the plunge with the flash driver line.

Thanks for sharing. I have a driver fitting in February (moved up from March to take advantage of Cally trade in bonus), and I'll be putting the G400 Max up against the Epic Flash/SZ. Excited to see the results.

no idea. but it was immediately noticeable when he put it in my hands. i told him i didn’t like the way it felt in waggles. then i tried to hit it and it was a hot mess.

maybe you’re right, with proper swingweighting it wouldn’t be an issue. i think the flash should be the driver for me over the sz. but going by tonight, it was the opposite.

Good info Chris, I am really excited to hit them outdoors on Monday.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Assuming both caught equally I dont think a degree of loft would change speed all that much.
5-6 yards of more distance is really good. Although I completely understand the aspect of changing clubs over that much.

I've changed driver over .5* of launch angle, lol. Or for less obvious reasons. If I was carrying one 5-6 yards further I'd not only switch it but burn the old one at the stake.

I'd agree...(and I'm hoping when the 410s come out) the 400 series gets cheaper cause they are holding their value well...I need a Max for cheap

This I understand. I love cheap clubs/balls/tee times. I've got to PM you someday again, you're close and I've got some local questions.

It’s great that people are happy with their gamers. But if what I’m seeing this weekend is any indication, this may just be a special driver. Distance and forgiveness in spades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s great that people are happy with their gamers. But if what I’m seeing this weekend is any indication, this may just be a special driver. Distance and forgiveness in spades.

I need to get this one outside because I’m a bit mental in the hitting bays. I was a bit surprised I was getting the numbers I was. Forgiveness is there no doubt and it will be a good fit for a lot of people.

I need to hit the SZ for no other reason than to get it out of my system. The Epic SZ was too fade bias for me and I’m hoping the APW can tame some of that.

Reading this puts a huge smile on my face! This driver will be a game changer for me as well!!

Spitballing here, but Could be the CG location playing a part too? I kind of had the same thing happen with the 816 fairway when the weights were swapped. Heavy weight front it felt “right” - weight back it didn’t at all.

For me the SZ would likely be a nonstarter. My spin was low 2000s with the standard head. Didn’t even try the SZ but I’m intrigued to take a couple swings with one.

Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Drivers

Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Drivers

Spitballing here, but Could be the CG location playing a part too? I kind of had the same thing happen with the 816 fairway when the weights were swapped. Heavy weight front it felt “right” - weight back it didn’t at all.

For me the SZ would likely be a nonstarter. My spin was low 2000s with the standard head. Didn’t even try the SZ but I’m intrigued to take a couple swings with one.

could definitely be the case. or could be something else. i have no idea lol

i told the guy the sz would be a waste of time. that i was a regular epic guy. i was really surprised. as low spin as i can be, the sz didn’t really hurt me. at least on the sim.

Last edited:
I had another phenomenal day with the Epic Flash hitting fairways on 8/10 drives. The first miss was absolutely pounded on #1 and went through the dogleg, the second miss was just the age old playing for a fade and it went straight, ending up just off the fairway on the left side. But despite the misses I played the 10 holes where I pulled driver at -1 today.
8 drives today that were straight, high, and long. I pretty much felt in full control of the driver all day long and was seeing some really solid distances out of it in our warmer temperatures today. Playing with a group of low caps (M3 drivers) and a scratch (TS2 driver) it felt really good to be the longer ball in the group all day long, and naturally they all wanted to give the Flash a try. They all hit great drives with it and were impressed for sure.

I love this driver and I absolutely itch to hit balls with it in between rounds.

I am officially pondering upgrading from the Epic SZ to the Flash SZ. Sound/feel is an improvement. I was seeing more manageable misses and more consistency with The Flash.

Been thinking about this club since hitting it yesterday. I think I'll hit the sz next time I get an opportunity. I was so darn impressed with the EF Green yesterday that I'd like to try it with the sz then back in the standard. Just can't get over how good it felt in hand.

I am officially pondering upgrading from the Epic SZ to the Flash SZ. Sound/feel is an improvement. I was seeing more manageable misses and more consistency with The Flash.

I think this would be a very good move on your part. I saw what the SZ could do in lesser men’s hands and it was amazing.

tested this tonight at pgatss. sz first, then regular. evenflow green for most of the testing, tried tensei blue a bit but i didn’t love it.

we started off with my gamer. ping g400 max 10.5 turned down to 9.5 with accra fx 360 m4. ball speed just shy of 150. launch around 12*, spin mid 2k, carry just shy of 250. i think a proper fitting with this setup could unleash even more potential.

the fitter wanted to start with the flash sz efg 55 6.0. immediately in my hands i loved the look and loved the balance. ball speed about 1-2mph faster than gamer, launch around 13*, spin low 2k, carry 255 and more rollout. didn’t really see a change in dispersion. sound was totally fine. i couldn’t believe that the sz was working so well for me. high toe was awesome. low toe hung out to the right and lost about 15-20 yards.

then we went to flash with the same shaft. immediately i noticed a change in the balance of the club. and just like the original epic, i couldn’t find the middle of the face. gave it back after 3 swings. bizarre that i struggled so badly, and maybe with more time i could make it work. but if i had to decide tonight, it would completely off the table.

we swapped the tensei blue into the sz. flight was a lot flatter. turned one over with a perfectly centered hit, but path was pretty much neutral and spin dropped to 1,800 so i didn’t get enough carry. i hit a couple more i thought were nutted, only to have it fall out of the sky.

we moved the sliding weight more to draw, but i didn’t like the feel as much. we put the efg back in, and i liked it but i think i would want the weight back to center and maybe lifted up a bit to close the face.

i want a more robust fitting. if i get the max dialed in, i think it will be as good or better than the sz. so right now i am not ready to take the plunge with the flash driver line.

I’m surprised you liked the EFG. I pegged you in the Tensei, 10* flash. I think a proper fitting is needed.

I’m surprised you liked the EFG. I pegged you in the Tensei, 10* flash. I think a proper fitting is needed.

that’s the one i thought i would get fit into as well. that exact setup.

I think this would be a very good move on your part. I saw what the SZ could do in lesser men’s hands and it was amazing.

Lol. Thanks. I was skeptical before hitting it but was impressed with what I was seeing.

Half of Team THP is now covered in snow but Frank and Curtis are having phenomenal results with the Flash so far. I am super jealous and I actually have this driver. Can’t wait till I get to hit the Flash again and I am really looking forward to getting it on the course.

Has anyone seen a EFG in 6.5?

One thing I want to add is that I'm getting absolutely ridiculous performance out of the low-heel strike. I've got the APW all the way in the heel position which I'm sure helps, but knowing that my main miss with driver is getting tons of help is awesome.

Ok I spent some time at PGA SS with this one. My main purpose was to pay attention to spin, launch and carry yards. My swing isn’t the best right now, but still good enough for me to baseline against what’s In the bag now and the numbers I expect to see based on the last 10-20 rounds played. I also average about 12 fairways hit a round so I’m looking for dispersion versus distance.

A little background on me, I’m usually in the high 90’s SS wise and my ball flight is left to right. I usually average 225-230 carry. Like most amateurs when my swing gets lazy it’s a slice, but I can overcorrect with the best of them and hook one off the planet.

Looks -

Something I’ve read is that the regular Flash head is more elongated than the previous version and compared to the SZ model. At address it’s not really as noticeable as I anticipated. Its still there, but not off putting imo to look at. If I’m comparing to what’s out on the market today, I would say the TS2 has a similar shape, but appears to be more elongated than the Flash imo.

The color scheme has been discussed a ton. Some love it, some hate. I fall in the camp of colors don’t bug me. The green and yellow that is on the sole isn’t as “loud” as pictures or social media posts would leave you to believe. It has a nice hue to it and blends well with the darker crown.

Sound -

The sound has come up as being more “tinny” at impact. While there isn’t the muted “thwack” we’ve come to expect from recent releases, it isn’t a loud cannon either. There is a distinct sound at impact, but i like it. The first few swings I made sure I paid attention and it wasn’t anything that i could not deal with. As my session went along I quickly got used to it.

Results -

This first part is subjective, but I felt the head was lighter than what I’m used to/ and/or expected. I’m not sure what it is (and it could be mental) but I felt this one was light during the swing. Not a bad thing, but something that I immediately noticed in hand.

I tested out the 10.5* head paired with the HZRDUS Smoke 6.0 and the EF Green 6.0. Hosel was set up N/S and APW was set in the center.

HZRDUS Smoke - overall the set up felt good. This was my second time hitting the Smoke and while I like it, something is a bit off with it for my swing. I’m not finding it overly stiff, but I just have no feel for it. That said I hit 10-15 balls with it, I threw out some outliers that were offline and ended up with ball speeds in the high 130’s, launch in the 13-15 degree range, spin was in the 2600 range and carry was consistently in the mid 230’s. Dispersion with this one wasn’t bad, but not as tight as I would have wanted. With my left to right ball flight, balls were landing on average 8-14 yds offline to the right. Some a little further.

EvenFlow Green - Not much is out there in the green to have some background on, so I was excited to hit this one. My THCE shaft was based on the EF Blue so I’ve had enough swings with the Even Flow line to know what to expect. This one didn’t disappoint. The best way to describe it is smooth. I didn’t feel like i was fighting this one as much as I was the Smoke. I would call my transition as smooth or deliberate and this set up fit me better. I felt I was loading the shaft with much more ease compared to the Smoke.

Again I took 10-15 swings, threw out the outliers, and saw some decent numbers for my game. I was seeing consistent ball speeds in the upper 130’s to low 140’s. Launch was in the 15-17 degree range, spin was still in the 2600 range, with my carry in the upper 230’s. A few center struck shots carried in the lower 240 range. With my left to right ball flight, dispersion was better with balls offline 8-10 yds to the right.

Overall I’m impressed with the numbers. I’m not sure what the gains are, but they are there compared to my 816 DBD and any other drivers that I’ve recently played. For me to make the switch with the driver I need carry, tight dispersions and optimal spin for my swing. This one checked all the boxes. If had to make a guess I would say I gained some decent yards in carry with nothing to worry about dispersion wise. I think I can tinker with the APW and tighten dispersion even more given time.

I’m buying the Epic Flash 10.5* with the Even Flow Green 6.0. I’m excited to get this one paired with my THCE and see what it can do. I think what ever reservations I have with the stock shafts will go away once the THCE custom is plugged in.
Great thoughts and feedback. We seem to have similar SS and results other than I hope to hit a draw. I'm in EFG 55 6.0 in driver. Did you got 55 or 65?

Has anyone seen a EFG in 6.5?

Nope and not listed on PX web page either: https://www.pxshaft.com/products/evenflow-green/.

Great thoughts and feedback. We seem to have similar SS and results other than I hope to hit a draw. I'm in EFG 55 6.0 in driver. Did you got 55 or 65?.

I hope to hit a draw also, but unless I dedicate some serious time, a cut shot it is, lol....

They only had the 55gm, 65 isnt stock and is one that I’ll have to order direct.

I have some options here at home, but hitting the EF Green, no need to spend more money on an upcharge for another shaft.

Tried flash subzero with 6.5 Hzrdus Yellow yesterday at PGA superstore and loved it. They didn't have the m5/m6 in yet so I'm waiting to hit those before I decide which is the best. The subzero gave some amazing/mind blowing numbers... There were about 5 drives I felt I didnt quite catch (higher on the club face) but they launched at 15* and had between 1500 - 1900 spin. 1500 is definitely too low to maintain but the numbers I saw with this, especially on mis hits, were better than my TS3. Of course the true test is to see performance on course, but head to head in the simulator the flash sub zero outperformed the TS3 in every way. I didnt mess with the adapter or weight in the back, but found this subzero version to be much more accurate and consistent than the Rogue subzero.

Also tried the Cobra f9 with the weights forward and hzruds Yellow also. The flash subzero was consistently 12 yards further for me. There are great reviews on the f9, just wasn't for me guess

Curious when/if/where I’ll get a chance to try these out. I’ve owned every Callaway driver since the RFE and ore ordered the last three, this one though I’m slow playing for whatever reason. Need to find somewhere to hit it.

Back