Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

Anyone have pics of the backside of the Flash face?

In a video review I watched this morning, the backside of the face was shown, and man...... it looks like nothing I have ever seen before in a face. Any chance you guys got pics you could share with the forum?

Anyone have pics of the backside of the Flash face?

In a video review I watched this morning, the backside of the face was shown, and man...... it looks like nothing I have ever seen before in a face. Any chance you guys got pics you could share with the forum?
See the link in the first post. It's the first picture shown, except it is a slate gray / black color.

Yup. This will be in my bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Internal-1024x683.jpg

I think the face tech and design story kind of make this an EPIC in name only. Maybe the better way to say it is this isn't an iteration at all. As I mention in my review, it has been a bit uneven for me so far, but we are in the early stages of adjusting to a new driver. There are signs the upside is very big. I know how you are with sound, that'll be something for you to watch with this one. Strikes up high are loud and different.

Of course the tech has changed and the application of AI to create a new face design, but my point it, this is the next evolution of the Epic in terms of placement in the line as well as profile(s) compared to the Rogue.

I see that Callaway customs is available on on Feb 1st, I may have to go that route.

Yeah, I don't really have access to a LM on a regular basis with no fitters in the area. So, I operate mainly off of feel and what I see on the course myself. Thanks for the response. I have a pre-pre-order in :) Meaning I gave them my money and am waiting for them to put the order through when they can. I have a couple of shafts already and am probably just over-analyzing things. But, dropping $500+ on anything makes me antsy to make sure I am making the best decision.

I brought my rogue driver with me to the range at my last session and swapped out the Evenflo black shaft with the Smoke. I thought it was generally in the same ballpark as the EF black, maybe the Smoke was a touch lower launching.

Before I get into my first impressions on this club, I want to talk about the tech story a bit. I'm not sure there's been a tech story in golf that's resonated more than this one with me. In the day job, I lead a machine learning team, and while we don't work on nearly as fun stuff as golf club design, we've done a lot of similar types of design problems int he past where we used. In many of these cases, these resulted in designs that none of us would have come up with on our own and we were surprised to see the results bear out in the real world. So, even before I laid my hands on the club, I was a believer that this was going to be an improvement for me.

So let's fast forward to fitting day at ECPC. We work out irons, then move on to the driver. Putting the driver down immediately felt like coming home. I've been playing the XR16 for the last few years, but before that I played the 2014 Big Bertha, and it was obvious that this driver is in the Bertha/Epic lineage. It was a familiar shape, and going back to the slightly deeper/more compact look was comforting.

I'm not going to talk hard numbers outside of smash factor right now for a couple reasons. First, I've been dealing with a hip injury so I don't really know what the "right" baseline is, and second because I haven't hit that and my XR16 on the same monitor - my fittings have largely been on GC2 or older versions of the Trackman software. We pretty quickly settled into the Tensei shaft from a feel/contact perspective. While we were dialing settings, I remember this exchange:

Me: "That one was really toe-y"
Nick: "1.48 smash"

Looked down and the ball mark was way out there. Took another swing. 1.52 smash. Now, I know head speed gets measured different ways on different devices, but I hadn't seen anything like that way out on the toe before. I think the XR16 was about 1.45 for me there. While I didn't really pay attention to hard numbers on the course, I felt like I was at my usual distances with a B-level swing that week, and there were a few times I ran out of room not expecting to. I will say I've seen a bit more distance since coming home as well even despite the cold weather, especially on off-center strikes. I've been as long as I've ever hit the ball on a hole I've played a million times, playing from the absolute back of the tee box on a non-perfect strike.

I'm not a big sound/feel guy, so probably not the right person to weigh in here - to me the club sounds a bit louder than I remember the composite heads sounding, but it's not a bad sound. Very easy to tell by sound where you hit on the face, which is a plus.

Now, it would be interesting for me to do the same comparison with the Epic. There are two big design changes in this head from what I'm playing - Jailbreak (which I think the general consensus is that it works) and the new Flash face. I'd love to be able to decompose the effects from each of them a bit more. So I might try to get on a monitor this winter with the Epic and Flash in the same setup.

Just take my freaking money now

Guys this is a major skim job (sorry!). Saw the rundown of the tech and am seriously considering upgrading the Rogue, especially if there’s a program for upgrades setup like last year. I saw some went into detail in their fittings. A few Qs:

What’s the stock shaft length?
Where any of you fit to anything different than that length?
Any info on head weight? Has anyone been able to weigh one?

Thx!

I went with a stock length but we ended up tipping my shaft 1.25” to help with an aggressive move through the ball. Almost ended up going with a 7.0

Any of you from team THP play the original Epic? I'm curious how it compares, particularly launch/spin.

Any of you from team THP play the original Epic? I'm curious how it compares, particularly launch/spin.
I played Epic prior to my Epic Flash. I plan on posting a 1v1 comparison soon, but I dont have the data collected yet.

Question for those interested. Should I normalize as many variables as I can like shaft, loft, weights etc.? Or should I hit both in the configuration I was fit into?

I went with a stock length but we ended up tipping my shaft 1.25” to help with an aggressive move through the ball. Almost ended up going with a 7.0

What kind of swing speed are you bringing to the table? At this point, I am semi committed to the Smoke 70 6.5. But, I am thinking of going to the 60 6.5 and possibly tipping it. I am typically around 118 and can go more if my swing is grooving and I am feeling confident. My transition isn't super aggressive though. Not float loading, but I would say my transition starts in my lower body before my backswing really finishes. I would say that my wrists move a great deal through impact though. Not flipping, but a pretty hard roll of the fore arms.

Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Drivers

Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Drivers

What kind of swing speed are you bringing to the table? At this point, I am semi committed to the Smoke 70 6.5. But, I am thinking of going to the 60 6.5 and possibly tipping it. I am typically around 118 and can go more if my swing is grooving and I am feeling confident. My transition isn't super aggressive though. Not float loading, but I would say my transition starts in my lower body before my backswing really finishes. I would say that my wrists move a great deal through impact though. Not flipping, but a pretty hard roll of the fore arms.

In the 115 range

I played Epic prior to my Epic Flash. I plan on posting a 1v1 comparison soon, but I dont have the data collected yet.

Question for those interested. Should I normalize as many variables as I can like shaft, loft, weights etc.? Or should I hit both in the configuration I was fit into?

I think a mix of both would be a great comparison actually. Same loft/shaft/weights, and then tweak to your fitting setting to show the progression.

1fe3acc4531d02b3c743421307417d82.jpg

So I have been waiting to post this pic for a minute now, but it brings tears to my eyes and the guys have seen this but here is a pic of my gramps seeing the driver for the first time when I got back just before he passed. He was so intrigued! Hadn't seen him look at clubs like this in a very long time!
b3bcef3ec815de04bad54078e9a3bcf7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

So I have been waiting to post this pic for a minute now, but it brings tears to my eyes and the guys have seen this but here is a pic of my gramps seeing the driver for the first time when I got back just before he passed. He was so intrigued! Hadn't seen him look at clubs like this in a very long time!
b3bcef3ec815de04bad54078e9a3bcf7.jpg

scott, such an amazing photo.

scott, such an amazing photo.
Thanks man! Seeing his face as he looked at all the equipment was priceless!

Not sure if anyone would know the answer just yet but what would the likely ETA be for club fitters/stores to have these in to demo?
You know, for a guy who MAY be heading over to Club Champion tomorrow to finish out his woods fittings? :golf:

Back