Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

That room was so impressive!!
Yeah it was. I almost didn't get that shot either. If you remember, the secret service was going to strip search me when I pulled my phone out.

Going back to N /S / weight centered in the morning and see if I can get the power fade back in play.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

The Range Days episode with Epic Flash and SZ is going to be an absolute doozy I think.

You might have a bit of a bag battle this year between the Flash and the F9. Both are pretty monsterous.

The Range Days episode with Epic Flash and SZ is going to be an absolute doozy I think.
I can't wait for that episode to drop. All of them really though. This looks like it's going to be a hot series for THP.

Yeah it was. I almost didn't get that shot either. If you remember, the secret service was going to strip search me when I pulled my phone out.

Oh yea, remember that for sure! Such a fun area to experience!

I got to hit this outside for the first time today and really liked what I saw. Well struck shots just went. Others not hit so well I was still happy with. Just one range session but thought it seemed more forgiving than original Epic.

I finally got around to putting my old Epic driver up against my new Epic Flash. Despite rocking the ol 2-way miss today I took a few lashes with each and didnt eliminate any data. There were some smelly strikes in there for sure.

The first set of numbers is sort of a weird comparison since it is the two drivers as I was fit into them, the second I made everything the same.

First set:
Flash 9.5 with Tour ADIZ 7x
Epic 11.5 with Rogue Black Tour X 70g

The second set of numbers is:
Flash 9.5 with Tour ADIZ 7x
Epic 9.5 with Tour ADIZ 7x

-For reasons unknown I was striking the Epic low on the face, and the Flash higher on the face.
-I thought the Flash felt head heavier with the same shaft in both.
-Epic had the consistent left to right flight that I've been gaming for the past year or two. Also a pretty consistent height.
-Flash has more speed and lower spin, but certainly more volatile in every regard.

All in all I thought my results were a little alarming in how different the 2 heads felt and performed.
ec9e66eaea8ceb8f7843a21a9a5ca536.jpg
6680a4ba0d040ae9a6e6b25bcaefed85.jpg
e9af80acc8b19b9618332085a513ed0f.jpg

Finally got on the monitor for the first time since I've been back with these, and frankly, I was wowed by the results. I don't think I saw a smash of less than 1.45 all session, and the driver was good for 250-260 all day. Most of my drives were within the fairway or just off - if I get anything near what I saw today once the season starts I'm going to be ecstatic.

This is easily the most forgiving driver head I've ever spent time with - while I was finding the center more often than not, I would have been in the high 1.3s with some of the strikes I had today with the XR16.

Compared to F9

* lower ball speed than F9 smash factor was more consistent on off center hits and still stayed pretty good

* More forgiving on toe hits distance wise

* heel shots were DOA for both clubs slight favor to F9 maybe

*Sound to me was negligible @mpeterson was destroying the center of the face with this and we both were hitting center shots with F9 neither driver seemed “muted” or “loud”

Driver has some great forgiveness across the face. Hit my longest with this one too (shaft was an inch longer than my Tour Length F9)

Compared to F9

* lower ball speed than F9 smash factor was more consistent on off center hits and still stayed pretty good

*Sound to me was negligible @mpeterson was destroying the center of the face with this and we both were hitting center shots with F9 neither driver seemed “muted” or “loud”

Driver has some great forgiveness across the face. Hit my longest with this one too (shaft was an inch longer than my Tour Length F9)

head to head I think Epic Flash is definitely louder (SZ not as loud as regular) especially as you move high and/or toe.

How did you find the swing speed between the two heads? Any info there?

head to head I think Epic Flash is definitely louder (SZ not as loud as regular) especially as you move high and/or toe.

How did you find the swing speed between the two heads? Any info there?

F9 was consistently faster by 2 mph than Epic Flash

Hit plus 100 with the F9 highest with Flash was 99, maybe 100

It was nice to get out for a muddy 9 holes this morning. I pulled driver I think 6 times. I hit a couple that no club could save, a couple very nice ones and a couple where I obviously missed the center of the face and the ball ended up well down the fairway in the short stuff.

Epic Flash SZ is still in beast mode for me. Beat my max carry again today on the Sim. But, what stood out was my less than stellar shots were still carrying a mile.

I realize it's a Sim and my expectations should be tempered. But, we're talking significant gains here. I absolutely cannot wait for real golf to hit.

Compared to F9

I think this is a really cool example that shows where fitting/preferences make a huge difference - I was definitely faster ball speed wise with the Flash on average, despite my absolute fastest swing club head speed wise coming with the F9. I think I saw a little less difference in club speed than you though, and that might come down to different preferences of club lengths.

So I played it today in the N/S/weight in the middle and hit some big drives for me. Really strange though my miss again today was a awful snap hook, don't know where it came from and I want it to go away.
Obviously I am doing something weird in the swing.
Irons were stellar so just a odd golf thing with flipping the hands while trying to turn fast.
Oh well taking a week off to go on a mini vacation with my son so maybe the bad stuff will be forgotten.

Of all the rooms to go for the phone, that’s definitely the place to do it. Especially the ***** that sits underneath that logo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hit the regular...absolutely hated the sound. I think I’ve read here that the sub zero sounds better, and I sure hope so. Wasn’t on a simulator so didn’t get any numbers, but by sound alone this would be a no go

I’ll be ordering one of these beauties next weekend

I’ve found that the sound varies depending on the ball and where on the face I make contact. For example, rotating among the ERC, CS. and CS-X the CS-X is the loudest and even more so on the high toe side.

Didn't know this until I saw a picture on Twitter. But, JB won with an Epic Flash SZ in the bag today.

f193ad762bb1f4a66bdf2f3f4b3a3f6f.jpg

Got to play my regular today for the first time. This was my first round in almost 2 months and my swing was all over the place for 15 holes, including a duff that went maybe 5 yards can't remember the last time I duffed one.

I'm using a proforce v2 HL and today I hit CS, Bridgestone RXs and q star ball's, to see if there was any sound difference. To me there may have been a little change in sound with different balls but nothing that turned me off. I also managed to use the WHOLE face today, but mainly the heel. Felt that the forgiveness was put to the test today and felt that I was still getting good distance even with crap swings.

I was some what worried about the sound after reading the comments here but after hitting it I have zero complaints. Since no one close to me had demos I bought this blind online so what sure what to expect for sound. Coming from the Rouge it did sound different but no way offensive or bad.

I did manage to hit 2 good drives today, hole 17 and 18. 17 was a little towards the heel but came out as a little cut, high and rather long.

On 18 I aimed for a little cut and the darn thing was the only straight ball I hit all day. I'm playing it with the weight slightly towards D and +1 N. Decided that the ball was a little high so turned it down to S/N and bam, nice flight straight towards the flag. It's done nothing but rain here forever so no roll out and hasn't been over 50 degrees in the just as long. But that last drive at 10.5 ended up maybe 5 yards short of many of my sunny day Rouge drives.

The funny part is I've never played a driver at 10.5. Even with the high launch shaft 11.5 was my comfort spot. Every other driver I've tried at 10.5 has been a disaster, so being able to hopefully squeeze out a few extra yards at 10.5 Vs 11.5 excites me.

Epic Flash SZ is still in beast mode for me. Beat my max carry again today on the Sim. But, what stood out was my less than stellar shots were still carrying a mile.

I realize it's a Sim and my expectations should be tempered. But, we're talking significant gains here. I absolutely cannot wait for real golf to hit.

This year is going to be kind of nuts in this thread, I think.

...and I can't wait to see it for you, radi!

Didn't know this until I saw a picture on Twitter. But, JB won with an Epic Flash SZ in the bag today.

f193ad762bb1f4a66bdf2f3f4b3a3f6f.jpg

Pretty sure driver is a 'free' spot in his bag.

Have to think he tested a bunch before landing on Epic Flash.

Pretty sure driver is a 'free' spot in his bag.

Have to think he tested a bunch before landing on Epic Flash.

Yes it is. All metal woods actually (he plays a m2 FW wood) I was told from tour van that he tested 5 brands and came away with this one. He is a tinkerer so it will be an interesting follow. 3rd win in 2019 for a non contract player using Epic Flash.

Back