Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

Turned a lot of heads last weekend with the Flash in play. Head Pro grabbed it before I pegged and was asking all types of questions. Then I set up to play a slight draw but pulled a hair over the tree on the corned of the dog leg. Not shot I would have dreamed of trying but I carried the corned with ease and had 5w into the green vs a 3w that always ends up 30 short.

My playing partner was swing a TS2 with Kai’lia X flex and killed it. He was a small guy that really got on his toes through impact. If I had to guess he was in the 115mph range for swing speed. I’m at 107 now due to speed training and I was with him all day. Never chased him just played the shots required off the tee. One of the best driving days I’ve had.

I had short irons or wedges into some holes that I’m usually going after one maybe two more clubs. #9 is 400 uphill, that requires a cut to access the fairway. Typically I have 7 iron in, had a hard PW that finished 10ft right of the flag.

What’s crazy is that I think I can more out of it. When this swing adjustment I want back to starts clicking without me thinking about, I think I’ll start to freewheel it a bit more.

The sound is noticeable but not annoying to me. I also play a course limes with towering pines so the sound is amplified. Miss hit come off and muted and a bit stiff on the hands. Center cuts, have that sound that if you weren’t looking you would know it was hit well.

I know it’s early but this driver is better than the Epic that I still have in my spare bag. The Flash is longer, launches higher. The head shape is similar to me.

Great input here. Love hearing they improved the Epic, which has been the best driver I've ever tried up to this point for me.

I've been seeing the fastest ball speeds with the Epic Flash on the launch monitors. I'm dying to take it out and hit some real shots to see how it goes for me.
Were you hitting the SZ? The head shape of the Epic SZ and Flash SZ are similar but the standard heads are slightly different to my eye.
The heads definitely are different in shape and it's sort of hard to capture in pics but it's easily perceivable in person. I still like both.

The heads definitely are different in shape and it's sort of hard to capture in pics but it's easily perceivable in person. I still like both.

Oh yeah! I’m not saying the standard Epic Flash looks bad but it’s not the same shape as the original Epic.

I actually like the standard head shape over the SZ.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ask @jourdaninmich what he thinks about his in blue.

Oh like this ?
a99afd94ed9a8221934eb7c56083247d.jpg

Turned a lot of heads last weekend with the Flash in play. Head Pro grabbed it before I pegged and was asking all types of questions. Then I set up to play a slight draw but pulled a hair over the tree on the corned of the dog leg. Not shot I would have dreamed of trying but I carried the corned with ease and had 5w into the green vs a 3w that always ends up 30 short.

My playing partner was swing a TS2 with Kai’lia X flex and killed it. He was a small guy that really got on his toes through impact. If I had to guess he was in the 115mph range for swing speed. I’m at 107 now due to speed training and I was with him all day. Never chased him just played the shots required off the tee. One of the best driving days I’ve had.

I had short irons or wedges into some holes that I’m usually going after one maybe two more clubs. #9 is 400 uphill, that requires a cut to access the fairway. Typically I have 7 iron in, had a hard PW that finished 10ft right of the flag.

What’s crazy is that I think I can more out of it. When this swing adjustment I want back to starts clicking without me thinking about, I think I’ll start to freewheel it a bit more.

The sound is noticeable but not annoying to me. I also play a course limes with towering pines so the sound is amplified. Miss hit come off and muted and a bit stiff on the hands. Center cuts, have that sound that if you weren’t looking you would know it was hit well.

I know it’s early but this driver is better than the Epic that I still have in my spare bag. The Flash is longer, launches higher. The head shape is similar to me.

some solid validation right there, Panda! I love the idea of you having an unstoppable tee game.

Just a bit slower than you but exact same findings.....had M3, tried M5 with same results....hit Flash in the SUB ZERO head and evenflow green 5.5.....just prefer the size....proper spin and launch....I'm not a high launch guy....gonna grab std 3wd with coordinating shaft tomorrow.....will report back!

Oh boy!

Attachments

• 20190221_093705.jpg
    20190221_093705.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20190221_094438.jpg
    20190221_094438.jpg
    485 KB · Views: 0
That Blue looks mighty nice!

may have missed it, did anyone weigh the head or can you?

may have missed it, did anyone weigh the head or can you?

I have a pic weighing the regular Flash, not sure on SZ but mine was at 192g.

6f1e7008066ca0074b7bf8a26144f62d.jpg

I have a pic weighing the regular Flash, not sure on SZ but mine was at 192g.

6f1e7008066ca0074b7bf8a26144f62d.jpg

thanks dude. Sorry if I missed that earlier in the thread. 192, that's pretty damn light.

some solid validation right there, Panda! I love the idea of you having an unstoppable tee game.

If this keeps up and I can get my short game ironed out, I’ll have a solid spring and summer.

thanks dude. Sorry if I missed that earlier in the thread. 192, that's pretty damn light.

I agree, driver heads seem to get lighter every year. I guess it’s because the “standard” length gets longer and manufacturers are trying to keep the swing weight to a reasonable number. It means someone like me that plays driver at 44” has to add a lot more weight to the head to be able to feel it in the swing.

I think I’ve seen that the last Epic was supposed to be 195. If that’s true then it’s not much different.

I think I’ve seen that the last Epic was supposed to be 195. If that’s true then it’s not much different.

I'm trying to think but I kind of remember @jman weighing in the rogue last year at something like 191.

I'm trying to think but I kind of remember @jman weighing in the rogue last year at something like 191.

Speeeeeeed. Jman loves light drivers too

Yep, was 191 pre alterations by me haha

Threw some blue in for your @Canadan

Flash Custom.JPG

Back