Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

My last Callaway driver was the razr fit so I've missed quite a few drivers....I've played with guys to hear tones and initially put off by what was deemed a "tinny high pitch" sound for the FSZ.... not sure if Callaway corrected this in house or not but Tuesday was my 1st time hitting one and now owning mine , it just sounds powerful and explosive WITHOUT being ear splitting or annoying.....actually my final two were FSZ and F9 ....F9 came off pillowy to me.....I'm only low 90s speed so not sure if that makes a difference.

I don't think so. I felt the same with it swinging around 115 or so.

I do think there's a big sound activation on the regular flash high and towards the toe, but it's not horrible.

I always thought I preferred the more muted sound you get with a carbon driver but I remember giggling at how much I liked the feel and sound of a pured drive in December. When you connect it was such a powerful feeling and sound to me.

I actually think there's a right way to do "lively" and a right way to do "muted"

preference will surely play a role here, but unless it's on the extreme end of the spectrum most should be alright with either.

My settings I was fit to and indoor simulators don’t agree with each other lol so I took the loft up to 10* and moved the APW to the center and the last three drives have been 280+. Starting to loosen up and trust it and that’s a fun thing

Last drive:

164 ball speed
2600 rpm
277 carry
287 total

I’ll take it

Little Saturday Morning build.
Down to 44.5 and brought swing weight back up.

e232ba7de56d97b9fc5be00a6f951f3c.jpg

19cf441380fa285b7b056cd4a2236d1c.jpg

772ca23ce8c25a98871afed6b65461cd.jpg

10294f3475cf10173b2c17bd7c9c922a.jpg

Nice. How many grams did you have to add back to the head to get a D3?

Man I’m dying to get this driver outside and on the course. Sim golf is fun but for me it was only good for getting swings in. No way I hit the ball that straight haha

Nice. How many grams did you have to add back to the head to get a D3?

I added 5g and it was D3. Honestly shooting for D2 but I’m not one that really notices much.

I added 5g and it was D3. Honestly shooting for D2 but I’m not one that really notices much.

How did you add the 5 grams to the clubhead? Are you still using the standard 16-gram sliding weight?

I just received a custom "blacked-out" Epic Flash built to 44.25" and the swing weight is only D-0 although I requested D-3. I'll probably contact Callaway about this, but I'm wondering what the best options are for getting the swing weight up at least to D-2. Despite the light swing weight, I love the look of the head.

How did you add the 5 grams to the clubhead? Are you still using the standard 16-gram sliding weight?

I just received a custom "blacked-out" Epic Flash built to 44.25" and the swing weight is only D-0 although I requested D-3. I'll probably contact Callaway about this, but I'm wondering what the best options are for getting the swing weight up at least to D-2. Despite the light swing weight, I love the look of the head.

Combination lead powder and hot melt.
Could have used a tip weight too,

I’ll be honest and say had this been me I wouldn’t have changed it. A couple of SW points to me personally doesn’t bother me much.

So I’ve played 2 rounds with the Flash SZ Hzrdus Smoke combo. So far so good. Conditions pretty swampy as we’ve had snow and rain this week. Ball just plugs in fairway. Temps in low 30’s to 40’s while playing. So getting no roll and I’m getting carry to almost where my Rogue would roll out to. Carrying a few bunkers from the tee I haven’t been able to for several years. The sound does vary from ball to ball. I’ve used the CS and the ERC Soft. Seeing the best results with ERC so far. The combo is long and straight. Confidence building as i can really go after it and I haven’t lost it to the right at all. In fact when I do i tend to get just a slight fade that goes and goes. I think I’m gonna love this combo when the weather breaks and the course firms up. Only concern is ERC with irons to firmer greens. If I get the results I desire I’m good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Combination lead powder and hot melt.
Could have used a tip weight too,

I’ll be honest and say had this been me I wouldn’t have changed it. A couple of SW points to me personally doesn’t bother me much.

Thanks for the info - that makes sense. A point or 2 of SW doesn't matter too much to me if the overall balance of the club feels good. One of the biggest problems I've seen in going to a shorter driver and adding weight to the head to maintain SW is that the overall weight of the club can get pretty heavy sometimes. I think I may switch my new Flash to a lighter grip to change the club's overall balance a bit while making the club a little lighter. Some people say this is just "fooling the scale" but it is a simple way to affect the balance of the club while actually making the club lighter. If that still doesn't feel right, then I might experiment with a little more weight in the track. I'm reluctant to try hot melt or lead powder since I'm not sure I'd get it right.

For my new Flash driver at 44.25", I'm pretty sure Callaway added weight to the shaft tip in some way (probably tungsten in the epoxy or a tip weight) since the club head weighs only 192 grams (including the standard 16-gram sliding weight).

So I’ve played 2 rounds with the Flash SZ Hzrdus Smoke combo. So far so good. Conditions pretty swampy as we’ve had snow and rain this week. Ball just plugs in fairway. Temps in low 30’s to 40’s while playing. So getting no roll and I’m getting carry to almost where my Rogue would roll out to. Carrying a few bunkers from the tee I haven’t been able to for several years. The sound does vary from ball to ball. I’ve used the CS and the ERC Soft. Seeing the best results with ERC so far. The combo is long and straight. Confidence building as i can really go after it and I haven’t lost it to the right at all. In fact when I do i tend to get just a slight fade that goes and goes. I think I’m gonna love this combo when the weather breaks and the course firms up. Only concern is ERC with irons to firmer greens. If I get the results I desire I’m good.

Playing same driver/ball combo.....with trajectory, I've gotten ERC to be quite receptive....but really added distance with combo

Let the testing begin
9339bee0ede23a7b2aff9b8fd92168c1.jpg

I will have more coming soon but I throughly enjoyed this one today.

It’s so satisfying and forgiving. Looking forward to your thoughts.

That's a great way to put it.....I didn't drive it completely well today but that was my fault....trying things in very windy conditions .....when I played my stock fade, it was money....I'll leave it at that....lol

Love this club! I feel for those that can't let their pre-determined mindset at least test it out

Callaway sent me a 20g slider weight. Sadly not black like the customs but I do think it helps not feel as light and will bring the swing-weight up a couple points. The weather is improving and it should only be a few days now before I get a chance to test this out on the course. Can't wait!

Thanks for the info - that makes sense. A point or 2 of SW doesn't matter too much to me if the overall balance of the club feels good. One of the biggest problems I've seen in going to a shorter driver and adding weight to the head to maintain SW is that the overall weight of the club can get pretty heavy sometimes. I think I may switch my new Flash to a lighter grip to change the club's overall balance a bit while making the club a little lighter. Some people say this is just "fooling the scale" but it is a simple way to affect the balance of the club while actually making the club lighter. If that still doesn't feel right, then I might experiment with a little more weight in the track. I'm reluctant to try hot melt or lead powder since I'm not sure I'd get it right.

For my new Flash driver at 44.25", I'm pretty sure Callaway added weight to the shaft tip in some way (probably tungsten in the epoxy or a tip weight) since the club head weighs only 192 grams (including the standard 16-gram sliding weight).

192 grams? I called Callaway when I got my Flash because it felt much heavier compared to my original EPIC. They told me it is 203 grams. Which made sense when I compared my old and new ones.

After going thru 100 pages here I decided to bite the bullet and buy a Epic SZ. Im pairing with my THCE custom shaft. I’m planning on hitting it tomorrow. Can’t wait!

@golfest- it’s supposed to be 55 tomorrow. I’m playing the front 9 at riverside at noon during my lunch break. If you’re around come play.

I have had 3 range session with the Epic flash SZ with the Smoke shaft and am loving the combo. The face is extremely hot and I am seeing no ballooning whatsoever. Just a ball that gets up and flattens out. I cut it down to 45" and that has the SW at D2.5. I plan to weight it back up into the D4 range. So far I am loving this club.

After going thru 100 pages here I decided to bite the bullet and buy a Epic SZ. Im pairing with my THCE custom shaft. I’m planning on hitting it tomorrow. Can’t wait!

@golfest- it’s supposed to be 55 tomorrow. I’m playing the front 9 at riverside at noon during my lunch break. If you’re around come play.

Very interested in this.

What’s everyone’s opinion of The Flash head all blacked out?

Attachments

• B848B04A-81C7-4F1C-85D0-A50D963F5FD3.jpeg
    B848B04A-81C7-4F1C-85D0-A50D963F5FD3.jpeg
    334.4 KB · Views: 0
  • C5547C1D-C53C-4106-8B02-A5625D0E9119.jpeg
    C5547C1D-C53C-4106-8B02-A5625D0E9119.jpeg
    391.7 KB · Views: 0

Can’t wait to see what you think of it

Back