Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

Wait, your comparing sound of a G30 vs Epic Flash and EF was the louder of the two? That’s not the norm for a ping driver before g400. But at least you have the EF a shot. Goes to show sometimes newer doesn’t equal better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Just realized I have not updated my signature, playing a G400 these days.

Just realized I have not updated my signature, playing a G400 these days.

Ahhh. Okay that makes better sense.

Got 9 in this evening before our mens club meeting and I think I'm finally getting a good fit into the EF. I'm using the V2 HL in regular flex with a 10.5 head and coming from the Rogue. I've always played my drivers at 12.5, even with the HL shaft, as I struggle to elevate to ball. With the EF I'm at 10.5 and loving the flight. I've got it set at D on the hosel and the sliding weight is half way between center and D.

Having the weight there makes the ball come off the face a lot more "hot" than full D. I'm now getting slight little baby draws to straight shots.

Tonight I hit driver on 7 holes. 5 of them where in normal to slightly longer spots than usual. But 2 of them were absolute bombs for me and got me into spots I've never been off the tee. The best was on the last hole. Its 275 yard par 4. The first 150 of that is down hill and the last is 125 of flat land. A good drive, in a lot warmer temps leaves me in the front bunker. Today I flew that bunker and was pin high, left of the green but WOW!

One adjustment that really seemed to help was moving from a 3 1/4" tee to a 2 3/4" tee. It really helped me be closer to center face and brings the flight down into a nice mid level, kinda flat, rocket launcher.

I cant wait for Sunday morning stableford.

@ForeonFour I noticed tee height makes a decent difference too with this particular driver. Not sure why, but I do tee it a little bit lower than the Rogue I had and perform better that way.

I had a strong morning round with the EF; my best yet. Did lose one ball off the tee but it was a super tight hole that screams iron off the tee. No big misses, once I get tired do get a little bit of a fade going which with the wind direction can be accentuated, but extremely playable. Had a low miss that sounded really solid, lost about 15 yards but I could tell it wasn't close to a good strike. Did have one toe strike (centered heightwise) that may have been my longest drive of the day. I'm extremely happy & comfortable with the EF right now.

The Flash SZ is being quite odd for me lately, some really nice long drives then a complete stinker.

It is me of course, but I have no idea what I am doing different to get these wildly different results.

The Flash SZ is being quite odd for me lately, some really nice long drives then a complete stinker.

It is me of course, but I have no idea what I am doing different to get these wildly different results.

Not the SZ, but on the regular the higher up on the face and especially toe side is the one area where results can be complete stinkers. I've tested the rest of the face a decent amount and consider it to be a forgiving driver. Then again, I didn't go with the SZ because I figured the regular would be more forgiving.

Looks like the old H2 Hot color scheme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think I played the X2 hot hybrids for a couple years just for that reason. They also were total rocket launchers, but sadly I think the color scheme was/is more important to me.

I don't have your speed but this driver has been A DREAM.....trust factor was high today and I played the draw shot most of the day......I don't play a draw.....at least I haven't in years.....

For whatever reason (lie,length etc) I really don't miss the middle bullseye.... I miss up and down but unlike M3 , no heel or toe misses.....only 8 rounds but this SZ model for this old guy has been a game changer!

Anyone around 90mph gaming the Flash? 12* ? What shaft ?
I’ve hit the 12* with EF green 55g 5.5 a few times now and it works really well for me. What I like best is I can loft off and jam the weight in the toe and not hook the ball.

I’ve hit the 12* with EF green 55g 5.5 a few times now and it works really well for me. What I like best is I can loft off and jam the weight in the toe and not hook the ball.

91 or so but 9* and right now an Accra 55 or so shaft. Results are great, sound is not my favorite, but the performance more than makes up for it.

Got mine in yesterday. Went to a Weezer show last night, but had 30 minutes so walked out back and hit a few shag balls on the course behind my house and saw the same thing I saw on the launch monitor. Slightly longer than Rogue and very forgiving. Had a couple of toe hits that wound up really good. Looked more like draws than hooks and didn't get all the way across the fairway into the rough. I am getting out for 9 at dawn and will report how its first run in live action goes, but so far I am pleased.

I compared the Epic Flash SZ to my Epic SZ earlier this week on the indoor simulator and didn’t see much difference - I hit 8 balls with each and the Flash was 2 yards longer, mostly because of one bad mishit with my old Epic was 31 yards shorter than my average. I will have to do further testing outdoors with a Trackman once the course opens up next month. I will also take the Epic Flash out on the course for a few rounds which will really give me an idea of how it is different/better than my Epic SZ.

I'm similar speed but I've Sub Zero 9* lofted up and Evenflow green 55g 5.5

Ok, I got my 9 in first thing this morning. I did not have a great swing so I didn't hit any earth shattering drives. What I did see was good distance on my misses. I hit 4 off high toe and all 4 found the fairway at reasonable distance. The 5th shot was low and off the hostel for a long fade that played fine. I hit that one on a long wide open par 4 so I really tried to go after it and just didn't get the club face through the ball. The best drive of the day was center and slightly high on the face. I got all the distance I expect so this is a good club high on the face. I am looking forward to a better swinging day so I can talk about the shots I really hit hard.

This one is all ready to go. Just need to get to the range and work out the swing.

508ba6a2fcc24a0c56a77843f30a1c09.jpg

That grip is really cool. Never seen anything like that before with the graphics.

I compared the Epic Flash SZ to my Epic SZ earlier this week on the indoor simulator and didn’t see much difference - I hit 8 balls with each and the Flash was 2 yards longer, mostly because of one bad mishit with my old Epic was 31 yards shorter than my average. I will have to do further testing outdoors with a Trackman once the course opens up next month. I will also take the Epic Flash out on the course for a few rounds which will really give me an idea of how it is different/better than my Epic SZ.

I also tested both with not a lot of difference. Actually, the old Epic won thin (statistically incignificant) margins. The Flash has a very explosive feel. And, dealbreaker for me is the thin grey line on the crown behind the top line. I can deal with the green and yellow lipstick on the back, though I all around much prefer the original Epic, which may be the best looking Driver of all time IMO. Interested to hear your thoughts as the season progresses. There is no question Flash is a rocket, but so was the original Epic.

Another great day with Epic Flash. I only used it 4 or 5 times today but it was pumping out some serious distance, and in one case an inexplicably long drive that I can't explain. It also allowed me to take a ridiculous line over a water hazard to cut the corner of a par 5 - this one just had me giggling.

First full round with mine (9* SZ set at D/S with weight all the way in the heel) and I have been playing Rogue SZ 10.5 for most of the last 6 months and before that played Epic SZ for most of a year.

Sound: not as good as either of the previous Callaway drivers to me, but on the course it was not noticeable at all. What I think I have noticed is when it is hit on the toe with the weight in the heel... that is the worst possible sound you can make this club produce. Will have to see if that plays out going forward, but center face contact is nice, heel side was fine but off to where you know you didn't catch it right.

Forgiveness: I found the Rogue more forgiving than OG Epic, but I really think the Flash excels here. I hit one as far out on the heel to where it actually made contact with the face and I was penalized with a lower cutting flight that ended up in the fairway and with a 7I in my hand (it was 42 F at this time, so I would have hit 8 normally, but clubbed up for the extra layers and cold temps). Distance was maybe 5-6 yards less than what my average drive with Rogue was for the last 10 rounds (per Arccos). Had a couple others that I mishit towards the heel, and maybe it was the sliding weight being over there but the results were so much better than I expected to have from how it felt off the face.

I touted the forgiveness of Rogue but I really think this was a big step forward for how my miss has been.

Distance: tough to tell as I really only had 3 good driver swings (hit several solid but 3 of them were pulled into pretty long wet rough) so sadly I can report more on forgiveness than what good strikes provide, but on 1 of those 2 drives I hit one about as long as I have hit in the last year into a fairway that was maybe 20 yards wide with OB left and a hazard right. It was uphill but downwind, but still low 40s temp and soft conditions. I was tickled. The other two ended up about the distance I would have expected with Rogue SZ, but given the conditions were probably quite a bit better than the total distance had me thinking at the time.

Overall it is still way too early to tell how much (if any) of an improvement it is from the previous models but I am comfortable enough with it that the Rogue finally got packed up to be sent back for the trade in I had made on the Flash.

This one is all ready to go. Just need to get to the range and work out the swing.

508ba6a2fcc24a0c56a77843f30a1c09.jpg

That Cross Comfort grip works perfectly there. I didn't realize they made those.

Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Drivers

Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Drivers

Played in cool blustery conditions for South Florida. The Epic Flash Sub Zero Performed as well as a driver can for me.....on a new course that while you had ample room to play, the unknown added to 25mph winds still made it difficult....

Confidence is bordering on arrogance right now....not that I need a bad miss for reality....
This club came along at the perfect time for my golf!

Love the “confidence bordering on arrogance” part - That’s where I live bahaha

That Cross Comfort grip works perfectly there. I didn't realize they made those.

They’ve been my grip of choice since they came out. Soft enough, yet tacky enough to not clip if I don’t have a glove on.

These were released earlier this year, and I jumped on them for my woods

First full round with mine (9* SZ set at D/S with weight all the way in the heel) and I have been playing Rogue SZ 10.5 for most of the last 6 months and before that played Epic SZ for most of a year.

Sound: not as good as either of the previous Callaway drivers to me, but on the course it was not noticeable at all. What I think I have noticed is when it is hit on the toe with the weight in the heel... that is the worst possible sound you can make this club produce. Will have to see if that plays out going forward, but center face contact is nice, heel side was fine but off to where you know you didn't catch it right.

Forgiveness: I found the Rogue more forgiving than OG Epic, but I really think the Flash excels here. I hit one as far out on the heel to where it actually made contact with the face and I was penalized with a lower cutting flight that ended up in the fairway and with a 7I in my hand (it was 42 F at this time, so I would have hit 8 normally, but clubbed up for the extra layers and cold temps). Distance was maybe 5-6 yards less than what my average drive with Rogue was for the last 10 rounds (per Arccos). Had a couple others that I mishit towards the heel, and maybe it was the sliding weight being over there but the results were so much better than I expected to have from how it felt off the face.

I touted the forgiveness of Rogue but I really think this was a big step forward for how my miss has been.

Distance: tough to tell as I really only had 3 good driver swings (hit several solid but 3 of them were pulled into pretty long wet rough) so sadly I can report more on forgiveness than what good strikes provide, but on 1 of those 2 drives I hit one about as long as I have hit in the last year into a fairway that was maybe 20 yards wide with OB left and a hazard right. It was uphill but downwind, but still low 40s temp and soft conditions. I was tickled. The other two ended up about the distance I would have expected with Rogue SZ, but given the conditions were probably quite a bit better than the total distance had me thinking at the time.

Overall it is still way too early to tell how much (if any) of an improvement it is from the previous models but I am comfortable enough with it that the Rogue finally got packed up to be sent back for the trade in I had made on the Flash.

This is where I am with the Epic Flash and my previous driver - the XR16 for me. I'm noticing big forgiveness differences. At the Grandaddy, I had one of my big swing flaws creep back in - a really inside takeaway, and that leads to some gross OTT swings that just can't be saved with the driver. So I'll be honest - I didn't have a ton of impressions in terms of what the capabilities of the driver could do. I did see some pretty great drives off the toe though - not losing a ton of distance.

Since I've been back, fixed a few things in the swing (for now), and gotten on the monitor I've been pretty much amazed at distance consistency I've seen with the driver. Blows the XR16 away in that regard, and that was a tough one to kick out of the bag.

Got mine in yesterday. Went to a Weezer show last night, but had 30 minutes so walked out back and hit a few shag balls on the course behind my house and saw the same thing I saw on the launch monitor. Slightly longer than Rogue and very forgiving. Had a couple of toe hits that wound up really good. Looked more like draws than hooks and didn't get all the way across the fairway into the rough. I am getting out for 9 at dawn and will report how its first run in live action goes, but so far I am pleased.

Going to the Weezer/Pixies show in St. Louis in a couple of weeks. Saw them in Tampa last June.

Back