Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

This thing is silly. There have been a couple of shots where it feels like I have barely found the club face and the results are still good.

I like the sound of that...getting my custom tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So after this weekend, this club is going be an Awesome Fairway finder for me this year. It was just amazing this weekend. I bought a couple of shafts with me and the last one I put in, Rogue MSI 110 R just turned the club around for me. It became almost tedious. Straight and in the fairways on Saturday and today. Really looking forward to the season starting in a couple of weeks at home. Couldn’t recommend this club enough.

Happy to read this Mark! I'm a big fan of the EF as well.

First round of the year is in the books and I came away really happy with this driver. I tested the forgiveness A LOT today and it performed admirably. Most of the mishits were toe side and with past drivers I would have expected a huge hook that would have been playable, but pretty far left in the rough. Those toe strikes today definitely had a draw but it was not overpowering and ended up just off the fairway.

I had one or two on the heel and results were what you would expect, low flight and a drop in distance but not as penalizing as some drivers I've hit.

Sound wise I didn't notice it all all. It didn't seem to sound any louder than the older Cobra one of my partners was playing or the G400 the other was playing. It actually kind of reminds me of the G400 sound.

Overall this didn't perform miracles for my wonky swings but it performed very well. I think today I used it off the tee 10 times and hit 6 fairways.

This thing is silly. There have been a couple of shots where it feels like I have barely found the club face and the results are still good.

You know “Silly” is a great description. It was crazy silly this weekend. The dispersion is “Silly” So Good!

My club had a Callaway demo day and I finally hit the Epic Flash. Crazy impressed with it. Averaged 275 carry with 2200 spin. Ordered one on the spot since my current gamer was out performed by 25 yards and 1000 rpm. Can’t wait to get it.

First round of golf this year, and the Epic Flash did not disappoint. Had a few shots that got away from me fading a little more than I am used to, but I remembered back to my Grandaddy fitting and Jason kept reminding me to work on turning my hands over and once I focused more on that and putting my swing on the club, the ball was flying off like a rocket. Course was wet and soggy with little to no roll, and most fairway shots plugged or barely rolled, but I was getting yardages that I normally would get from my prior unfitted driver on firm and hot summer days. Just need to trust my swing more and once the fairways get firmer I can really see this ball rolling far!

Cant wait for some warm weather and dry fairways to really see some yardage off the tee, as is I'm just as long as Rogue with summer weather and it's only early spring. The EF was a round saver again today. Low heel, high toe it didn't matter the ball just wanted to go and still be safe.

Drove 2 par 4s today. One I've driven before in the summer the other I've never driven before in 5 years of playing the same course. 275 yards into the wind, coming off the ocean that is 400 yards or so behind the green. First 150 or so is down hill from and elevated tee box then flat the last 125 or so. Bunker front, left and right with OB beyond the green. On a decent day I'm in the front bunker. Today I drove over the front bunker and trickled onto the green. 2 putted for birdie.

90547380b074932f2b50ff3756988684.jpg

a6b11ade7a146bfb643d1e4e5a09c73c.jpg

You tease...

0cb67436f8f47fb8bcd7cef91bb1e406.jpg

ecc5132b94e5197284b43e3a191a68df.jpg

d0a56962e67ee865e39ce680629b3950.jpg

0f3a9e25198891aa76ce215e8088aebf.jpg

a49c58377db2055961bd92554f1a7eb5.jpg

d49d6da7e42e01d6a547a15723a97a05.jpg

Head looks pretty incredible at address.

One disappointment: the paint fill was fairly poorly done on the bottom of the head.
Not a show stopper, just a smidge disappointing.

Head looks pretty incredible at address.

One disappointment: the paint fill was fairly poorly done on the bottom of the head.
Not a show stopper, just a smidge disappointing.

Good looking color combo. I can see a couple spots where the black is kind of bleeding over on the white. I imagine Callaway would fix that if you contacted customer service, though it wouldn't be fun waiting for the fix.

The Sub Zero and even the Flash are drivers I so desperately want to work for me...and sadly they don't. Pisses me off actually. I've been trying a few different drivers inside this winter and while I know the value of a fitting, I was fit for my current driver, I just can't even come close to dialing either one of these in. I've hit the F9 and the M5 and swapping out shafts I hit some not great but a lot of great ones namely with the Smoke 6.0 60 gram. Similar to the Hzrdus black I was fit for in my 2016 M2.

I spend the MOST time hitting the Cally because I really like the look of the clubhead and the adjustability but I can honestly say I have never hit even ONE ball good with either head. It blows my mind. I'm all over the clubface... except the middle apparently. I won't say anything about launch, spin or ball speed because I have not hit one well enough for it to be a fair test. I don't think of either head as being less forgiving than the F9 or M5.

Skimming through this thread is it seems to be more " fickle" as far as being fit for it or its going to be trouble. That scares me if you're swing is " off" at all. Some days I'm a bit " off" with my M2 but its ok.... this club I'm a bit afraid of. We have an outdoor demo coming up in April. A sane person would have given up on this club based on the strike but I'm hoping outdoors when I compare it to the F9 and the M5 that it shines.

I already had my custom colors picked out!!!

The Sub Zero and even the Flash are drivers I so desperately want to work for me...and sadly they don't. Pisses me off actually. I've been trying a few different drivers inside this winter and while I know the value of a fitting, I was fit for my current driver, I just can't even come close to dialing either one of these in. I've hit the F9 and the M5 and swapping out shafts I hit some not great but a lot of great ones namely with the Smoke 6.0 60 gram. Similar to the Hzrdus black I was fit for in my 2016 M2.

I spend the MOST time hitting the Cally because I really like the look of the clubhead and the adjustability but I can honestly say I have never hit even ONE ball good with either head. It blows my mind. I'm all over the clubface... except the middle apparently. I won't say anything about launch, spin or ball speed because I have not hit one well enough for it to be a fair test. I don't think of either head as being less forgiving than the F9 or M5.

Skimming through this thread is it seems to be more " fickle" as far as being fit for it or its going to be trouble. That scares me if you're swing is " off" at all. Some days I'm a bit " off" with my M2 but its ok.... this club I'm a bit afraid of. We have an outdoor demo coming up in April. A sane person would have given up on this club based on the strike but I'm hoping outdoors when I compare it to the F9 and the M5 that it shines.

I already had my custom colors picked out!!!

You know what's weird... for some reason I absolutely can't hit this off the plastic tees on the range. When no one was looking went up to the grass to use a real tee and striped it. For me the tee height is more important with this than other drivers I've tried. May sounds ridiculous, but I've honestly never been more uncomfortable with a driver off a plastic tee. On the course I've been very happy with mine fwiw.

I didn't hit anything that well during my driver fitting. But I took a leap of faith and bought the Flash SZ anyway. I was coming from an OG Epic (non-SZ), and the shafts were similar profiles.....although I went 10g heavier this time. Anyway, despite less than stellar results during the fitting, I figured this isn't THAT different from what I was playing, so how bad could it go?

Super happy I pulled the trigger. Drove it well in its inaugural round on Friday. And then I went out for 9 holes with the wife and kids yesterday, and even on mishits, it was reaching places I don't usually get to. Two holes in particular: a dogleg right par 5, and a looooooong dogleg left par 4, both into the wind. They typically require straight, penetrating drives to be in any sort of good shape. Left is OB on both. Right on the par 5 is out, unless you hit it a mile. And right on the 4 is safe, but leaves you 250+ to the green.

I pulled the tee ball on the dogleg left, and thought for sure it was OB. Turns out it carried the corner and left me an 8 iron to the green. I over-faded the dogleg right, and "knew" it was out. Nope, carried the bunker at the corner by 20 yards, and I was on the green in 2. Ridiculous. Especially considering I didn't catch either one of those that cleanly.

You know what's weird... for some reason I absolutely can't hit this off the plastic tees on the range. When no one was looking went up to the grass to use a real tee and striped it. For me the tee height is more important with this than other drivers I've tried. May sounds ridiculous, but I've honestly never been more uncomfortable with a driver off a plastic tee. On the course I've been very happy with mine fwiw.

I hear you on this.
In one GG store, the tees are a 1/4 ball too low & I get horrid results.
Yesterday at the outdoor range I go to, I could adjust my tee height perfectly & hit some ropes (9* head, I play 10-10.5* normally) No duck-hooks like from the monitor in the store.
Same thing happened with the F9 driver too

This is one of the main reasons I struggle hitting anything at our local shop. Their tees are either ridiculously long or way too short. They are the thick hollow rubber things. Hate them. They have talked about getting new mats that allow you to use a real tee. But, judging by the wear pattern on their current mats, they don't change them very often. I am guessing they don't have the budget to get anything real nice in place.

The EF SZ is a low spin beasty eh?

Just ran to the range to give her a quick and dirty how’s ya fatha.
I had to loft it up (+2!) and put it in the draw setting to keep from losing it right! Ha!
Looks insane behind the ball. The sound can be obnoxious when struck poorly.
I hit a couple nice ones that have me interested for sure. Think I would dabble with adding a bit more weight in the rear...cuz who doesn’t like that.
Excited to try something different from my go to max.

Really enjoying my Epic Flash Sub Zero, the sound and feel has been spot on for what I am looking for in a driver. Head shape also just looks so good at address. Have played around with the settings and any small adjustment you instantly see the change, still playing the smoke Hzrdus 6.0 head playing now at 10.5 cog set +2 Neutral with slider just below center for heal weight. Played Tuesday night and hit some impressive drives. Really looking forward to this season with my whole bag of goodies from #TheGrandaddy.

I've hit 22 of the last 27 fairways where I have hit driver off the tee. I really hope I can keep going.

First round of golf this year, and the Epic Flash did not disappoint. Had a few shots that got away from me fading a little more than I am used to, but I remembered back to my Grandaddy fitting and Jason kept reminding me to work on turning my hands over and once I focused more on that and putting my swing on the club, the ball was flying off like a rocket. Course was wet and soggy with little to no roll, and most fairway shots plugged or barely rolled, but I was getting yardages that I normally would get from my prior unfitted driver on firm and hot summer days. Just need to trust my swing more and once the fairways get firmer I can really see this ball rolling far!

We had similar conditions today. We had two lengthy downpours yesterday that left ponds in many of the fairways. In many cases there was nowhere to go within a reasonable distance to get relief from casual water. However, like you, was still getting great distance with the driver despite conditions.

Back