Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

I still need to go and hit this, but based on the feedback and comments from some people in here, I definitely have an idea of what could work for me

After the swing changes over the last couple of years, I have gone from hitting down on the ball to now hitting up at anywhere from 4-6 degrees depending on how I am swinging (at one point I was hitting up by 8 degrees), but my current driver setup just doesn't work with that swing and I am spinning the ball way too much

Based on this thread and talking with my instructor, the 9* Sub Zero head is pretty much the one I would expect to be fit in to, and most likely the Smoke shaft

Then the only thing left to configure would be whether to leave the head at 9* or if it needs turning down to 8*

My next lesson is not for another 4 weeks, but I may well try and find some time to head over one evening to spend an hour on the sim and give this (along with the F9 and TS2/3) a try

I honestly meant no disrespect and didn't want to make it sound like I was addressing anyone within the group. When it only grabs one quote in a conversation, it is easy for the initial intent of what I was trying to say to get lost. I saw, what I thought, was someone's opinion getting slapped down because it was a negative one. Not by any granddaddy participant. I was attempting to keep things in perspective. I wasnt attempting to imply that there was any product shilling. Though, looking back, I could see how my comment could be taken that way.

Nah dude everyone on the team appreciates the back n forth and we knew going into this that some would question if the feedback is genuine or just being caught up in the moment. Thats why everyone has made it a point to stick to facts and leave posts with emotion out of it. I think if there is one thing from the new release that has gotten balanced feedback its the driver. Myself, tequila4kapp, ArmyGolf and others have mentioned periods of struggle or even just adjusting to what is different about this release.

Personally the sound stuck out as something that is "different" than in years past but thats exactly the thing, the face is completely different. During my time with the SZ I have struggled going back to trusting a fade but then again a lot of that can be crap swing aided.

Do I agree with some of the dislikes with this release? Sure? Many of those who are dead set against this driver for the sound have historically been ones to speak out about sound so I dont think thats something specific to the Flash. The color thing is tricky for me because its basically the same epic color scheme that so many loved with a touch of masters to it which just as many love. But I get it.

I guess thats the beauty in this all is not everyone has to agree. But for as much as someone who is not a fan of this driver is just "having an opinion", so is someone who enjoys this release

Well now I’m just curious what kinda numbers you put up

Was fit on a Trackman. This is taking into account all swings with the setup I went with--the good, the bad, and the ugly. Ball speed average was 167.5. Carry was 285.4. Spin was 2855. Launch angle 12.5. Average height was 123. Smash factor was 1.48.

I'm torn between this driver or M5

Having hit them both, and liking both, it is going to come down to fit and personal preference.

Was fit on a Trackman. This is taking into account all swings with the setup I went with--the good, the bad, and the ugly. Ball speed average was 167.5. Carry was 285.4. Spin was 2855. Launch angle 12.5. Average height was 123. Smash factor was 1.48.

Having hit them both, and liking both, it is going to come down to fit and personal preference.

Sounds like those numbers are pretty solid for you. Good grief you carry it far with a lower’ish launch angle

Sounds like those numbers are pretty solid for you. Good grief you carry it far with a lower’ish launch angle

Low launch and high spin, is what I am all about haha

That is awesome. I'm PUMPED for you!

Haha, the beauty of high SS and ball speed, yo!

JeffJohn bullying launch monitors again... Life is good.

Well, it sure can produce som fast ballspeed... Played around with some of the new ones after my second indoor range session of the season. Below is the best strike I put on the Flash SZ with the Smoke 6.0.

Might've been a misread on CHS, but still. Distance in meters.

jGZ5Lt4.jpg

Low launch and high spin, is what I am all about haha

I just read up on the Fuji pro 2.0 and my back hurt reading your 6x specs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just read up on the Fuji pro 2.0 and my back hurt reading your 6x specs.

I will post some thoughts in the Fujikura thread when I have a chance so as to not derail this thread, but the Fuji felt smoother than you would think just looking at the specs.

I love that shaft, one of my favorites out there.

Not experience with Fuji lately but tour spec is the lower torque and spin of the lines correct?

Not experience with Fuji lately but tour spec is the lower torque and spin of the lines correct?

Between the Pro 2.0 and Pro 2.0 Tour Spec, the Tour Spec is lower torque and spin.

Dam you make me jealous I didn’t get the Sub Zero. Good luck with the new big stick.

Thank you. I did not even hit the standard version. If you ever make it to NC you are welcome to have a go with it.

Thank you. I did not even hit the standard version. If you ever make it to NC you are welcome to have a go with it.
Hope it works out for you! I was the complete opposite. Didnt hit the SZ bc the fitter told me the miss on the SZ is right and that is my normal miss. He told me it would just promote my miss so we steered clear of the SZ.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Even though all the grass is covered in layer of snow and ice here, I am really hoping to see a shipping notification for my pre-order soon...

Even though all the grass is covered in layer of snow and ice here, I am really hoping to see a shipping notification for my pre-order soon...

Same here.

I'm a ways back (page 68) and there was is some back and forth on how good it is and others saying they don't care for it.

One point that's sticking out to me, the Grandaddy crew all-or at least most- seem to be seeing positive gains from this club, and plenty of them. While others are saying they're not seeing gains and hearing of others that aren't either.

Anyways my point-all the Grandaddy Folks were custom fit by some of the best fitters in the world. The clubhead, shaft, and even the individual way the weights are tuned were set that way by some of the worlds best fitters. I'm sure the driver is the best Callaway has put out, but I'd be willing to bet that most anyone that hasn't been fit by someone as knowledgeable as the folks at Callaway would realize large gains just from the fitting process alone.

I'm a ways back (page 68) and there was is some back and forth on how good it is and others saying they don't care for it.

One point that's sticking out to me, the Grandaddy crew all-or at least most- seem to be seeing positive gains from this club, and plenty of them. While others are saying they're not seeing gains and hearing of others that aren't either.

Anyways my point-all the Grandaddy Folks were custom fit by some of the best fitters in the world. The clubhead, shaft, and even the individual way the weights are tuned were set that way by some of the worlds best fitters. I'm sure the driver is the best Callaway has put out, but I'd be willing to bet that most anyone that hasn't been fit by someone as knowledgeable as the folks at Callaway would realize large gains just from the fitting process alone.
Interesting point. At the fitting I definitely saw less optimal results with different shafts. On the other hand, I switched the EF Black from my Rogue into the Flash SZ during a range session and didn't see substantially different results from what I get with the Smoke. Also, I didn't have great results at the beginning...it was an uneven start with the Flash for me. But after that things got a lot better (the better coincides with switching the cog from N to D, too).

It was night and day for me when I got the correct shaft in the SZ head, it was set at N/S on the adapter and the weight in the middle. I can't wait to dial it on to the on course swing, big things are possible from what I saw.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I can only speak for myself and my experience with the Flash. I'm not a Callaway homer by any means. I only have one Callaway club in the bag now. I went to a brand agnostic fitting and the Flash happened to be the driver that fit me best after being fit the shaft first. I tried other drivers with the same shaft and while the other drivers had good numbers, the Flash came out on top for me personally. If someone is serious about finding the best driver for their game I would recommend a fitting and let the numbers speak for themselves.

For me, I think it's more tech than fitting. But I'm also coming from a 2-3 year old driver, so I'd expect to see larger gains than some of the folks coming from last year's model. The shaft/loft/weighting setup is pretty much the same as I had in my previous setup.

I'll add to this a little. I think the real key is just getting fit in general, by a reputable fitter of course. The reason I say this is because in my Grandaddy fitting we were running out of time toward the end and I didn't have much time to tinker with driver setup much (it took awhile to get irons figured out). However, I had let Gerrit know that I did an in depth Tour Van driver fitting at 2nd Swing a couple years ago and I ultimately ended up going with the same shaft I was fit for back then simply because of the time constraint. So for me I have a great comparison to my last two drivers because it's the same shaft but I didn't necessarily try the newest options out there.

I'm also going to add to this and it's going to come off as not being very Callaway salesy, but we promised to be honest so here goes. Going to a good, reputable fitter that may have several brands available as options will not only give you the chance to find the perfect shaft setup for the Flash or other Callaway driver but it gives you the opportunity to find the best fit for YOUR SWING. The Flash is going to be awesome for a whole lot of people but there may be other brand offerings that work out a little better, and that's ok. All Callaway asks is that you give the Flash or whatever offering they have a chance.

Ultimately though find what gives you the best performance and I know this isn't always an option for everyone but I will always recommend doing that with a fitting. If you are able to do that I'm very confident the Flash will be right up there as one of the best, if not the best option.

Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Drivers

Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Drivers

I think there is some truth to this but I also think there’s a misconception here that I’m hoping I can shed some light on.

Guys got roughly 50 minutes for fittings. That’s close to the time you get at a local fitter when picking one specific area of the bag to get fit to so keep that in mind. Everyone started at irons and worked their way up. Now add some time to fix any gaps in distances, having the fitter have to run to another tent to grab a club to try, switching shafts and so on. The time adds up. So by the time you get to driver, your asked what shot is your miss and what shafts do you normally play and you go from there. While yes there are some fine tunings and advice on set ups from the best in the world, it’s not like everyone was there with an entire day to kill and got crazy in death driver fittings.

Do I think a fitting will help maximize performance for the Flash? Hell yes. I think that’s the case for any club, shaft and ball. Do I think the gains by the guys on the team are strictly because of the fitting? Not really. A number of us were put into stock offerings.

Back