Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

How is it doing against the F9? That's the only other driver that is really tempting me at the moment.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

It’s lower spin than my F9 by a bit, similar launch. It’s really solid in forgiveness and such, but feel/sound is a critical thing for me.

Not trying to work anyone up as I know how the sound/fee convo has gone in here before. But, it’s wild to me how much I like the Flash vs the Flash SZ there.

It’s lower spin than my F9 by a bit, similar launch. It’s really solid in forgiveness and such, but feel/sound is a critical thing for me.

Not trying to work anyone up as I know how the sound/fee convo has gone in here before. But, it’s wild to me how much I like the Flash vs the Flash SZ there.

It is interesting, because I thought that the consensus was that the Sub Zero was a bit more muted than the standard Flash.

It is interesting, because I thought that the consensus was that the Sub Zero was a bit more muted than the standard Flash.
To me the regular Flash is a nicer sound than the SZ by far.

I’m in this camp in a big way. Not even close for me.

To me when you miss high or laterally the SZ gets a bit on the metallic side.

I could have sworn we had the opposite opinion when we played earlier this year.

I think they both do. Try missing once in a while so you can tell us

To me when you miss high or laterally the SZ gets a bit on the metallic side.

That’s been what I’ve noticed as well.

I think they both do. Try missing once in a while so you can tell us

Haha I’ve hit the last three right on the nuts and they’ve sounded awesome.

Rocking a pretty sweet shaft in there too.

1a7c41a43a047252aa1f69e64e8b4b46.jpg

Bummed to see the sound turning you away @jman

But, I’m happy to hear someone else verify the issue.

For me, it’s such a great shape, and for the results I’m seeing I can get over it. But it’s definitely not ideal.

How much did the hotmelt help? I’m playing heavier weights both front and back, so I have some weight to play with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bummed to see the sound turning you away @jman

But, I’m happy to hear someone else verify the issue.

For me, it’s such a great shape, and for the results I’m seeing I can get over it. But it’s definitely not ideal.

How much did the hotmelt help? I’m playing heavier weights both front and back, so I have some weight to play with.

It helped a bit, but for us mortals that miss the center it’s still really pitchy and sharp.

I’m going to keep messing with it because I like a ton about it, the shape, the flight, etc, but it’s just not super comfortable for me. Def thinking about trying to trade for the standard again, but in 9 now.

It’s not me chirping the club when I talk about it like I fear some think I’m doing, there is a ton to like here in the SZ, just so happens that as anyone who’s been around here knows, I’m a big sound and feel guy. I’d go so far as to say my Max sounded and held better, both heads with hotmelt.

Like I said though, imma keep swinging!

It helped a bit, but for us mortals that miss the center it’s still really pitchy and sharp.

I’m going to keep messing with it because I like a ton about it, the shape, the flight, etc, but it’s just not super comfortable for me. Def thinking about trying to trade for the standard again, but in 9 now.

It’s not me chirping the club when I talk about it like I fear some think I’m doing, there is a ton to like here in the SZ, just so happens that as anyone who’s been around here knows, I’m a big sound and feel guy. I’d go so far as to say my Max sounded and held better, both heads with hotmelt.

I hear you. If we can’t be honest, and critical of clubs then the discussion here loses a lot of value though.

I’m in love with almost everything about this driver. I just want it to sound (more) like my Epic SZ did.

It is sharp on off center hits. I haven't hit the standard so I can't speak to the differences there. My season started with me hitting everywhere but the center of the face. I thought I was crazy because it sounded so much better when I hit it in the sim over the winter. Now that my swing is starting to calm down and I'm actually catching the center of the face semi- consistently, it's much better. Still pretty loud though. My buddy has a Ping G410 and it's way quieter. If you'd have told me 3 years ago that a Ping driver would sound a lot quieter than a Callaway, I would have laughed.

I agree on the performance though. There's a lot to like about it. Doesn't mean a guy can't dislike some aspects. These days, you can be pickier since there are so many great options out there.

Hope you get it sorted because it sounds like it's performing well for you.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

If it's that noticeable on the course I can't imagine what it would be like with range balls. I hit 3 range balls today with my standard Flash and put it back in the bag because of how bad it sounded. On the course though I still have absolutely zero issues. Even off center shots sounds decent and I still love the sound/feel on a pure drive. It's definitely different than most other options in the market though.

If it's that noticeable on the course I can't imagine what it would be like with range balls. I hit 3 range balls today with my standard Flash and put it back in the bag because of how bad it sounded. On the course though I still have absolutely zero issues. Even off center shots sounds decent and I still love the sound/feel on a pure drive. It's definitely different than most other options in the market though.

The sound just isn’t something I notice or notice enough to bother me. In fact I know immediately what shot shape I’ll have based on the sound. That sweet sound of a flushed ball is addictive. I do agree it’s louder than other drivers in its class but it doesn’t bother me as it does others. It’s like me not being a fan of the sound of the M5 or M6.

The sound just isn’t something I notice or notice enough to bother me. In fact I know immediately what shot shape I’ll have based on the sound. That sweet sound of a flushed ball is addictive. I do agree it’s louder than other drivers in its class but it doesn’t bother me as it does others. It’s like me not being a fan of the sound of the M5 or M6.

I think the feel/sound of a flushed ball with this driver may be my favorite ever.

I think the feel/sound of a flushed ball with this driver may be my favorite ever.

I’m there with ya!!

Went after the green on the 17th. We were playing the combo tees so it was about 310 to the flag over water. Very low percentage shot. If you’re looking for the green, it’s behind the trees over a bunch of water haha!

402769f7259f5f2de3857d8368f9861f.jpg

Hit it just left and well. Landed just to the left short of the first bunker. Like a damn laser beam.

There’s something about this head that seems to want to straighten out the shot for me. I’ve messed with a few shafts in there and while I bet I could go more like 10 degrees with many of the lower launching profiles, I really like what I can do at neutral 9 degrees.

Once I got my Flash driver in rhythm today I was absolutely pounding the ball around a tough driving course. I birdied 3 of the 4 par 5s today after my driver left me with 5 irons, and a 6 iron remaining for my approach shots. I drove a 285 par 4 to hole high.
Distance & Accuracy. If those are things you like in a driver you've got to give the Flash a try.

Got back from Myrtle beach yesterday, where I played my Ping G400Max for 3rounds. Such a solid driver.
Upon arrival back home yesterday, I ran to the range to try my SZ trip diamond to get a feel for the comparison. The sound is def loud, aluminum bat like at times. The trip diamond is def fade biased as JMan pointed out. I can hardly hit a draw with it.....which I think I kinda like. The std SZ was def a little easier to hit a draw with. I can hit a nice small fade pretty consistently though. I was fiddling around with the settings and an extra 6g weight I had purchased. By adding the 6g weight, I did notice that it dulled the sound of the head a little, which is nice.
I’m still debating if I want to add a Cally tip to my Rogue 130 shaft or sit tight for a bit. I did tip up an AD TP and a Fuji Tour Spec to try out in the head. I think I’ll keep working to dial this driver in.

I purposely let the trade in bonus expire so I could not justify a Triple Diamand and of course now I regret it, might not have been any better but now I have to wait and buy a head only off the bay. The SZ is not as automatic as I would like lately, but that is me as usual.

When it is on man it does everything I need, but been seeing some pretty big swings in fairway or NOT even close which is vexing. I am real close to picking up another ATMOS black to plug in and see what happens.

38fa05bd586ddf83812f3b64c865afe0.jpg

Went to the indoor range this weekend, and this was with the standard Epic Flash. This setup was standard 9* I believe and a Tensei Blue X. Switched it into the Sub Zero head and consistency was amazing. I have a driver fitting coming up this weekend. Any others I should keep an eye on seeing those numbers?

Got a fitting coming for this vs rogue. I'm curious if anybody has any fairway opinions

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm getting the itch to order something new and after that demo round I had I keep coming back to this driver. Might have to go give it some more swings since I only played the tensei blue when I tried it out. I still really like my rogue but the elimination of the fade by using the EF has me very interested.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Back