Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

Golf is fun when you're getting off the tee and putting it out there as long as possible and in the short grass. It's a perfect combination when they come together.
So true.
I'd much rather shoot 82 while getting off the tee nicely, than shoot 82 from the trees.

I don't know. I guess I have never put much thought into the name of a club. Rocketballz was a huge hit for TM and it was probably the worst name in golf history. But, I digress, as long as the club performs and looks good doing it, they can call it whatever they want.

I agree, TM was more guilty of this than anyone...

Man I love this club. Best driver I have ever had. My Arccos Smart Distance has gone up again. Now 16 yards longer then my previous gamer and hitting my fairways. Hit some Phil bombs today of 304 and 307 yards.

Anyone playing a Tensei Blue AVS 65 Gram Stiff in a SZ head? Thoughts?

Reading KEV's review above got me thinking about what I've seen from the Epic Flash SZ since I switched over earlier this spring from the Rogue SZ. Overall, I'm still holding off on making any final judgments because my driver swing has not been nearly as consistent as it usually is for whatever reason. But so far, here's what I've seen.

- I'm blown away by the forgiveness. I definitely see more consistent distance from the Flash SZ, even on mishits. I've had some terrible mishits end up in places that I generally consider a good drive.

- I don't know for sure whether I see more distance on my best shots compared to the Rogue SZ, but I definitely don't see less.

- My side-to-side misses seem a bit worse and the Rogue SZ seemed straighter, but I'm unsure about whether that is a swing issue (and it may well be). But I'm also not discounting the possibility that the APW setting could be impacting it a little. I tinkered with it a bit the other day and seemed to have better results. I may also play with the loft settings a bit to see if I notice a difference. This one is still up in the air for me.

I would say that I'm 5-7 yards longer than Rogue and definitely straighter with Epic Flash over Rogue

Going back and checking my stats...

With the Rogue SZ I was hitting 40% FW and had an average drive of 279.

With the Epic Flash SZ I'm at 50% FW (and trending up) with an average of 286.

I think the main difference for me is the adjustable perimeter weight allowing me to dial things in a bit more. I've got the right side of the course basically eliminated now. The confidence I have now that I've found the right shaft makes driving the ball really, really fun.

Yes, I am playing that combo, not because I got fit into it but because that's the shaft that came on it when I bought it used. (I've never been fitted and have no idea what my swing speed or ball speeds are but I average about 280-290 yards off the tee if that means anything.) I have heavier Hzrds yellow shafts in my 3 (83g) and 5 wood (76g) that I like a lot. However I think that shaft (Tensei Blue) fits well for me with the driver. It doesn't feel like swinging lumbar but it also doesn't feel like swinging a spaghetti noodle, it's a good middle ground. I found with the heavier shaft in my 3 wood, I get tired earlier if I'm swinging alot at the driving range. But with the lighter shaft, I'm not tired at all after 50-75 swings on the driving range and I feel confident when pulling driver especially on later holes in the round.

Since you guys are loving this driver, I saw this bag this morning on a site from Japan where I bought my golf bag. Staff/stand bags in Japan are very popular, I have one myself, saw this and thought someone in this forum might like seeing this bag: https://www.tourspecgolf.com/callaway-tour-19-jm-stand-bag.html

That is a nice looking bag! damn i want one now.

Forgive the ignorance and skimming, but I recently put a new shaft in my EF that has me playing at 44.5". I'm finding the center way more often, I also found out the PF V2 HL shaft I was using was uncut so it was closer to 46".

Anyways it feels a little light now. Was thinking about picking up a couple APW to mess with. What size is that standard weight? I searched this thread and think I found its 16.5? Also I found some from GolfWorks and some on Ebay, any real big difference? I'm at work right now so I cant check but I'm assuming you just unscrew the old weight and pop in the new weight?

Thanks guys!

Without going through 2960 posts, what do you know about the Epic Flash SZ drivers? Has anyone hit one alongside a std SZ to compare?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

New longest drive today. 328, down hill, down wind, all carry. The Flash/Smoke combo really responds well to swinging hard and really getting after the ball.

New longest drive today. 328, down hill, down wind, all carry. The Flash/Smoke combo really responds well to swinging hard and really getting after the ball.

Very nice dude! It's cool to see this is a beast for others.

I've been struggling with consistency and hitting fairways lately but that's totally on my swing and trying to swing harder. I had another 300 yard drive today which was nice but I need to start hitting more fairways. I have a round tomorrow that isn't as forgiving off the tee so we'll see how it goes.

I'm truly impressed with my EFSZ 3wd (that replaced my Rogue). Leaning toward the EFSZ Triple Diamond. Does anyone have any first hand feedback on it?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Daaaaaaamn, dude!!!

Boy did I test the forgiveness on this one today. I hit two or three decent drives and the rest were mediocre but still found the fairway. On off center hits I was till seeing some respectable distances that helped me save the round.

Hit this one again yesterday vs the F9 and M5, I wish they were 9.0 heads like this one for a better head to head, but ball speed winner was this one of the three.

How tight are you guys wrenching down the movable weight? I loosened it to move it and after a dozen or so hits it loosens up and rattles. I feel like I'm about to break it.

How tight are you guys wrenching down the movable weight? I loosened it to move it and after a dozen or so hits it loosens up and rattles. I feel like I'm about to break it.

I usually turn it with the torque wrench until I hear two clicks

I usually turn it with the torque wrench until I hear two clicks

Same.

Had a couple of decent drives with this today. I love it when hit it well, the rest of the time I want to flog me with it.

I tried the HZRDUS Yellow in this at the range today. Thing just seemed to carry forever. Plays to 45.5" though which I'm just not digging. Makes it feel really loose in transition. Think I'll trim it down to 45" and see how she fares. Though, the HZRDUS Green is going to put up a tough fight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Finally got a chance to hit the Epic Flash today. Really liked the feel of the head but didn't quite like the shaft that was in it (HZRDUS Smoke black 60). That said, I was carrying about 250 without any warmup, so I was pretty impressed. I hit it about 10 yards further than the Cobra F9 though I liked the shaft that was in the F9 (Atmos Blue 6) better. Definitely enjoyed hitting it and am gonna have to look at it more.

Thanks, I'm curious to try different setting too, just to see how they react. Of course my swing can change day to day slightly but can be fun to just spend a bucket on trying out each setting and weight adjustment to see how it reacts to my swing. Looking forward to reporting back!
This driver just blows my mind on the course every time I use it! Since I moved the ball back in my stance I am hitting the ball more consistent and farther than I've ever hit the ball. I poked one out to 310 yesterday. Its by far my most favorite club in my bag!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Hitting it at the range today someone asked me to stop. It is an enclosed overhang range so it echos a bit. It does have a distinct loud ting that isn't too appealing but that is about the only thing wrong with it. By far the best driver I have ever used.

The person was a little old lady so I obliged but I kinda thought that was weird.

We are finally starting to get some roll here after a ridiculously wet spring and early summer. The distance this club is providing is pretty shocking. Been playing mine at 10.5 which is really low for me compared to past drivers but since it seems to launch higher than previous generations it has been the sweet spot. Just a massively good driver all around. I will say at first I hated the gray line on the clubface, but now I don't even notice it.

Back