Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

I tried the HZRDUS Yellow in this at the range today. Thing just seemed to carry forever. Plays to 45.5" though which I'm just not digging. Makes it feel really loose in transition. Think I'll trim it down to 45" and see how she fares. Though, the HZRDUS Green is going to put up a tough fight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I put my HZRDUS Yellow back in the bag a couple of weeks ago, and won't be going back.

Mine is cut down to somewhere between 44.5 and 44.75 and it's basically perfect for me.

I'd wager it's at least in part due to being one of the heavier shafts I own (70g series instead of 60g), but I'm loving driving the ball lately.

Really surprised at how effective the APW is on the Sub Zero...I need to tinker with shafts and maybe find a heavier / stiffer one but I've hit some absolute bombs with this thing and more importantly, kept it on line

I put my HZRDUS Yellow back in the bag a couple of weeks ago, and won't be going back.

Mine is cut down to somewhere between 44.5 and 44.75 and it's basically perfect for me.

I'd wager it's at least in part due to being one of the heavier shafts I own (70g series instead of 60g), but I'm loving driving the ball lately.

I still have to cut mine down. It is noticeably looser than the Smoke Green (which is expected). But, playing at 45.5" it just feels way too long. Once I have it cut down, I will give it a more serious chance to compete. I may really cut it down and see if it can be my 44.5" option as I currently play my driver right at 45" now.

My Epic Flash SZ cranked down to 8* is easily my favorite club in the bag.

280 to 300 consistently which is fantastic for an old guy.

The guy I played with this weekend said his goal was to get his drive within a pitching wedge of mine.

Makes you feel good....plus it is crazy straight - pulled it 5 times, hit 5 fairways...Can't really imagine how the next generation gets better than this.

Thanks, Callaway!!!

When I can hit this club it’s amazing. Spent some time on the range today with it and man the ball just flies so far far away.

When I can hit this club it’s amazing. Spent some time on the range today with it and man the ball just flies so far far away.
I had a bad weekend with this club but it's the Indian, not the arrow. I have had great success with this club and even though I didn't do well off the tee this weekend, it is by far still my favorite club in the bag!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

On Saturday I came up to a 275 yard dogleg left par 4. There was OB on the right and trees and tall grass on the left. Usually this is a recipe for disaster but I was able to make a great swing that produced a nice little draw and left myself with this.

6c276a84ddea981077444e173324515f.jpg

It felt pretty nice to get my first eagle in a couple of years!

Got my first eagle ever yesterday after driving the green of a 280 yard par 4 with my EF. Me likey. :D

I feel like this driver is a freaking laser freaking beam.
SZ right? What shaft are you rocking?

Sent from my GM1915 using Tapatalk

Well that’s shockingly fancy.

It's the original but did see the new hulk smash one in person that someone else had on course. Its ridiculously awesome looking especially in the sunlight

haha, not the new one, but a beast either way.

Can confirm

Gamed my Flash (set at 8 *) for the second time Saturday. Forgiveness and ability to control just as impressive as distance. Drove the green on a par 4, hit almost every fairway, felt great.

Driver came in last week so I got to the range before the 100+ heat set in. This is the first time I was hitting it outdoors and I came away impressed but below are my impressions:

1. Throughout testing I find the driver to be very draw biased which is great for me considering my bad miss is a balloon fade/slice and with this driver it still would stay within play
Does anyone else think the SZ is draw-baised?

2. After tinkering with a vareity of settings, I settled on the 10.5* head set to plus one degree / neutral setting - produced a great flight and just stays on line forever

3. Compared to the regular epic, I like the sound/feel a little more

4. Forgiveness wise, I just find the SZ works better for me - this is most likely because of the lower spin numbers I believe

All in all, I am very happy with the Epic SZ - I will be taking it to the course on Friday

Driver came in last week so I got to the range before the 100+ heat set in. This is the first time I was hitting it outdoors and I came away impressed but below are my impressions:

1. Throughout testing I find the driver to be very draw biased which is great for me considering my bad miss is a balloon fade/slice and with this driver it still would stay within play
Does anyone else think the SZ is draw-baised?

2. After tinkering with a vareity of settings, I settled on the 10.5* head set to plus one degree / neutral setting - produced a great flight and just stays on line forever

3. Compared to the regular epic, I like the sound/feel a little more

4. Forgiveness wise, I just find the SZ works better for me - this is most likely because of the lower spin numbers I believe

All in all, I am very happy with the Epic SZ - I will be taking it to the course on Friday
The SZ seems to have the least bias of the two models. Most of my best strikes are dead straight to baby cuts...misses tend to be left but that's been a mechanics thing. The SZ also seems to be the more forgiving of the two due to reduced spin but that becomes truer the more my swing improves.

The SZ seems to have the least bias of the two models. Most of my best strikes are dead straight to baby cuts...misses tend to be left but that's been a mechanics thing. The SZ also seems to be the more forgiving of the two due to reduced spin but that becomes truer the more my swing improves.

For me, I am finding that the SZ seems pretty fade biased. I even have the weight almost all the way in the heel. But, I can't say that it's the driver for certain. I suspect that it's more swing induced. I haven't even dreamed of replacing it, so I haven't tested anything against it to find out. All I know is that hitting a fade is easy peazy. But, I really have to work to get the ball to turn over.

Today I hit the EF SZ for the third round this year and I think I am gonna like it! I am not quite sure if it is any longer then my Rogue though! I like them both, sound and feel wise! I bet I didn't miss more than two or three fairways today at most and with me out of practice, I will take that all day long! :)

I feel like this driver is a freaking laser freaking beam.

I have a different shaft to you, but I completely agree with the sentiment - you put a good swing on this club and it just goes

We have a par 4 that is 315yds, straight hole, blind tee shot over the crest of a rise with a narrow entrance to the green protected by bunkers - on Saturday I hit a perfect drive just left of the marker post and finished up with about 20yds to the middle of the green which is unheard of for me with my old driver

I have also gone driver - 6i on our hardest hole (450yd par 4 that is all slightly uphill and often into the wind)

Just need to sort my swing out as it isn't 100% at the moment

Never messed around with the weight while at the range so gonna give it a shot tomorrow before my round. Curious if it makes as big of an impact as going to and from the “D” setting.

So currently I’m playing EF 9* but during my fitting yesterday, Scott had me try the SZ model instead when demoing some shafts and it was crazy to see the numbers I was getting spin wise

Here was hzrdus smoke green 60 6.5
77cc2be2420ce378664c5f063469408f.jpg

Hzrdus smoke yellow 60 6.0
beb4924abaed6a2e70ee8c08ad21caba.jpg

Think I might need to grab a SZ head soon for some on course testing.

For me, I am finding that the SZ seems pretty fade biased. I even have the weight almost all the way in the heel. But, I can't say that it's the driver for certain. I suspect that it's more swing induced. I haven't even dreamed of replacing it, so I haven't tested anything against it to find out. All I know is that hitting a fade is easy peazy. But, I really have to work to get the ball to turn over.
I'm the total opposite. The left to right flight required me to open my stance to pull it off. Might natural flight is right to left so it's been a breeze for that shot.

So currently I’m playing EF 9* but during my fitting yesterday, Scott had me try the SZ model instead when demoing some shafts and it was crazy to see the numbers I was getting spin wise

YEEEEESSSSSSS!!! Another reason why fitting is critical and can be such a telling experience in contrast to what we assume is best for our game.

Last edited:

That Smoke Yellow looks like it agrees with you. I consider myself a high spin player, and the sZ killed spin for me to the point of where it was hurting my carry distance. looks like it's working for you though.

Back