Callaway Epic Flash and Epic Flash Sub Zero Driver

How was it watching these guys strike the ball?

Impressive and humbling at the same time. Longest guy I saw had an EF with the HZRDUS Smoke Hulk.... he had to hit a couple close to 400 yards (there was some downhill roll on both) but so what? Super impressive.

Impressive and humbling at the same time. Longest guy I saw had an EF with the HZRDUS Smoke Hulk.... he had to hit a couple close to 400 yards (there was some downhill roll on both) but so what? Super impressive.

I could spend hours watching these guys hit balls. It’s just so different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Had an interesting league night driving the ball today. I recently got fit for irons and we found that I needed to go 2 degrees up. I was reading about the optifit adjustments and the D setting seems to be 2 degrees up as well. Before I left today I changed the driver to the D setting and holy smokes I found the sweet spot way more often.

Shot of the night was on the last hole. It's a par 5 with a river 260 out but the tees were up front. I've only made it over a few times and played this course a billion times, but tonight I was a solid 30 yards past it. Not all carry obviously but I had 240 left to the pin and I've never been there before! Playing again Friday so I'll leave the D setting and see if I repeat. Thinking of changing the flash 3 wood too.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I'm up to two rounds in a row with a 300 yard drive. The rest of my drives are just slightly longer than my old average but I never had these occasional bombs like this. It definitely makes golf a lot of fun when it randomly happens though.

Used this club 10 times Saturday, finding fairway 4 of those times, 4 other times I was 5 yards or less from the fairway, and the other 2 were draw/hooks (1 OB due to OTT hook and the other i played fade and it drew a lot (borderline hook), and actually cleared the pond on our left and was in the fairway on the next hole. Really wish I could draw on demand because the amount of movement on that ball would have been perfect for this hole due to being a dogleg left with a downhill slope starting around 250 from the tee box. Very happy with the club again that day, wish my score dictated it, but any club off the tee that wasn't driver was not cooperating today so I had a lot of recovery shots trying to get back in the fairway or out of trouble since this course doesn't have a lot of wide open holes so it showed. Took some notes and hope to continue this success with this club again next time. Moved the weight slightly closer to the draw setting with just over .25" to spare, seemed to straight the ball out a little more. Keeping it here for next round.

BlueHen2006;n8622860 said:
...and my dad was just loving the sound the club made. He’s been toying with getting a new driver (currently has a RAZR Hawk), and asked to hit my club on the last two holes after his first shot to compare. Was 25-30 years farther each time, so he’s officially in ponder mode right now.

Quoting myself because why not! My dad's ponder mode officially turned into purchase mode today. After going through a fitting up by him, he actually was fit into the same driver and specs as me. There's a "like father, like son" joke in there for sure! Now we definitely will be making some friendly wagers on longest drive next time we play, and I can take the security sensor off my club now :bananadance:

Got a UST Helium cut to 44.5 playing Length and this one is back in the bag. Shaft pairing with this head works really well for me.

First day getting this new head (Epic Flash) out on the range. Id say i hit about 75-80 balls with it over a few hour range session.

First off......Ive got no idea why people were making such a fuss over the sound of this driver early on. I love it.....it wasnt distracting and was annoyingly loud and tingy.

Secondly, WOW....
I didnt have the benfit of using a range measuring device but it took me 10-20 swings to get it dialed in a bit better. I still think theres some room for tweaking. Currently set at 11.5 and Neutral with the weight set slightly to a draw bias. I have a feeling that once i settle in a bit this may change and drop down to 10.5...

So far.....so good. I definetely wasnt "losing" as much way left or right for some reason.

PKorf;n8883819 said:
First day getting this new head (Epic Flash) out on the range. Id say i hit about 75-80 balls with it over a few hour range session.

First off......Ive got no idea why people were making such a fuss over the sound of this driver early on. I love it.....it wasnt distracting and was annoyingly loud and tingy.

Secondly, WOW....
I didnt have the benfit of using a range measuring device but it took me 10-20 swings to get it dialed in a bit better. I still think theres some room for tweaking. Currently set at 11.5 and Neutral with the weight set slightly to a draw bias. I have a feeling that once i settle in a bit this may change and drop down to 10.5...

So far.....so good. I definetely wasnt "losing" as much way left or right for some reason.

I think the sound comes from their last few releases being so muted sounding.

JB;n8883829 said:

Yea I guess that could be. But, I don’t think it sounds all that “unmuted”. At least not outdoors.

JB;n8883829 said:

I think that's probably a pretty fare observation. Having hit the past two models extensively the past two years, it was quite the difference. But, like many, I've grown to appreciate the powerful sound at Impact.

Also, indoors or crappy range balls don't do it justice.

radiman;n8883955 said:
I think that's probably a pretty fare observation. Having hit the past two models extensively the past two years, it was quite the difference. But, like many, I've grown to appreciate the powerful sound at Impact.

Also, indoors or crappy range balls don't do it justice.

Yea I guess that’s my initial thoughts too.

PKorf;n8883819 said:

Secondly, WOW....

Were you using junky range balls? If so just wait until you hit one of your regular gamers. It's an awesome feel and sound IMO.

KEV;n8884112 said:
Were you using junky range balls? If so just wait until you hit one of your regular gamers. It's an awesome feel and sound IMO.

Yes only range balls lol

Reactions: KEV
I walked into Golftown, swung 90ish at it, with the stock light stiff, and my best was 15 yds past my prior best, on a monitor i trust. I took my BioCell+ Red Tie S along and nutted one 249. 10.5 right off the rack high 265 with really good dispersion and obvious in the air correction to center, and great results relative to really ugly swings. I went to another store, and based on Trackman, they put me in Tensei Blue R, which I ordered and also ordered in 3W. But I’m having second thoughts. Then again, I suppose I could try an adapter on the Red Tie, I sure do like it in the Cobra. And I suppose the stock shaft might slow up on the bay.

Stilll have X-Hot 3-4 hybrids, and an MD2 60/8 I like, and just ordered Apex too. Not quite all Cally bag but as close as I’ve been.

Making my way back to the beginning of this thread, looks intimidating but I’ll try lol.

Last edited:
Way late to the game here, but thanks to Callaway Pre-owned, I’m now gaming an Epic Flash. I have the 9* head, draw setting, turned up to 10*. I took it to the range today and was just mashing the ball. Center face, and even my misses were going long and straight. The Hazardus smoke shaft seems to be an excellent fit for me too. This is the best I’ve felt about my driving game in a long time.

Anyone playing the Even Flow Green shaft 45 in 5.5 flex ?

my local fitting place only has the 45g in 5.0. Right now I’m playing the EF Green in 55g 5.5 and really enjoy it. But the lighter weight in intriguing as long as it’s not a noodle.

Played Friday and had an interesting day with the driver. I was planning on having a club selection ready for each hole since I recently played the course about a month ago, but it depended on the tees I played and their location each hole. Turned out we played whites and they actually were up a little more each hole than I am used to so it made for some different decisions. I ended up going driver on 7 holes, making only 1 fairway, but had 3 shots (2 fades and a draw) that I think if I teed off 10-20 yards further back they would have made fairway. Rest were a slice from swinging out of my shoes and 2 draw/hooks with me aiming left fairway on a tight hole. When I connect with the ball, no matter which direction, it's sound I am continuing to like and the one ball I really hit OB was LOOOONG, but felt sooo good off the club head. Thinking of messing around with the settings again just to see what they each feel like, but being so close on a lot of holes I elected to try to hit to ball to spots I am not used to being on certain holes, and some worked out great, others not so much. Overall a fun round and a great learning experience for me for next time, but I think I will give blues a go around next time.

I am pretty excited to finally get my hands on one of these on Tuesday and see what it can do for me in the old GC2. Today when testing an unnamed driver, I hit a ball speed number that I haven't gotten to yet this year, which is impressive to me because my right arm feels like it can fall off at any moment. But with all the talk about Flash Face and how it's actually generating speed for folks, I am VERY curious to see how that plays out for me.

Went and hit the flash sub zero today to get a feel for it and see what combos might reduce spin the most. Stock smoke x flex with the sub zero annihilated my excess spin. I think it’s going to be fun testing out the different shaft combos.

Playing on Friday this was a rocket launcher for me again. I've been seeing such a nice piercing flight all year which has really helped with some of the windy conditions we've had. I think it still might be my favorite feeling driver I've played on well struck shots.

I have to say, the Epic Flash SZ driver is insanely good. I used to play the Epic SZ and hot some of the longest drives with it but for the past 2 seasons I have played the Ping G400 and G410 driver. While the Ping is the easiest to hit and the most forgiving driver ZI have ever played, it is clearly shorter than the Epic Flash SZ.

For 2 seasons I used my tennis elbow or shoulder pain as an excuse why I couldn't hit is as far and it was frustrating hitting driver 220-240 yards. The game is different when hitting 5 iron vs 7 iron into greens.

But for fun, I bought the Epic Flash SZ with Hazardous Smoke 60 shaft and surprisingly, it was easy to hit, goes pretty straight and high but more importantly, much further than the G410. I am seeing at least 15 yard gain. I had 2 drives 255-260 today and this hasn't happened in awhile.

Even my mishits are going 225-230 now.

Having fun playing golf again!

After messing around with my G400 Max on a whim the last week or so, I've just affirmed that this is the best option for me right now. Going to do some shaft pondering for the late/off season but that's about it I think (famous last words).

Got my FLASH out today for the first time in a few weeks. Hit some bombs but need to get some more consistency. So far I’m hitting a high draw which I love.....until it snaps into a snappy snapper

I have 7 golfing buddies. 5 have all put the Epic Flash in the bag in the last 2 months. The 2 that didn’t are my dad and godfather. They are happy with their 6 year old drivers. I typically do not care for Callaway drivers. I should say I borderline hate them. There is something about the shape of their hybrids and drivers that i have never liked. (I do love the oddly shaped PM grind wedges that I game). Furthermore, I do not like the sound. I don’t particularly care for the sound of my M3 as I much preferred the sound of the M2 and M5.

I am playing the M3 still and find most fairways and am afraid of rocking that boat, but the distances gains that these 5 have gotten is absurd. Literally have left me in the dust on the tee shot. I’m the shortest in the group now where i used to be middle of the pack.

I’m about to give it a go in the sim at An Edwin Watts as I have a $200 gc.

Does anyone use the tensi blue? I have those in my PXG hybrids and love them. I feel I see most with the Hzardus smoke.

Back