Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

I just hit an Apex Pro 6i from 192 to 10 feet...blind over trees. Ball is 5 ft. from the pitch mark.
The more I hit these irons the luckier I get.

Last edited:
Looking at the forged lofts 6i is strongish (26.5 i believe), during your fittings what was the gapping recommendation / your results to the hybrids. Previous apex hybos were 23/26 so question I guess would be do you go directly from 4h to 6i or put in the 26 degree 5h. For sure individual but would seem that the gapping might get a little close between 5h and 6i. Thanks.

CF-16 6iron is 27* and this one at 26.5* isn’t much difference that would affect gapping imo.

Sorry if I missed, but are lofts stated somewhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got it form Callaway but here it is broken down

Apex CF-19
3 - 19*
4 - 22*
5 - 23.5*
6 - 26.5*
7 - 30.5*
8 - 34.5*
9 - 38.5*
PW - 43*

Apex Pro CF-19
3 - 20.5*
4 - 23*
5 - 26*
6 - 29*
7 - 33*
8 - 37*
9 - 41*
PW - 45*

If the offer a raw version of the Apex Pros, like the ones Schauffele plays, those would be tough for me to pass on. I’d love a raw combo set with the Apex Pros (5-7) and MBs (8-P).

Has the loft specs for the combo set been put out? I read there is some softening of the pro lofts to better fit with the forged but I can't find it on the cally website.

Has the loft specs for the combo set been put out? I read there is some softening of the pro lofts to better fit with the forged but I can't find it on the cally website.

I don’t think so, I can’t find them if they are.

I’m interested to see how they gap the lofts as well.

Looking at the forged lofts 6i is strongish (26.5 i believe), during your fittings what was the gapping recommendation / your results to the hybrids. Previous apex hybos were 23/26 so question I guess would be do you go directly from 4h to 6i or put in the 26 degree 5h. For sure individual but would seem that the gapping might get a little close between 5h and 6i. Thanks.

I went 5i 4h 3h and the gapping seems like it works out for me. The 4 hybrid is about a club longer than the iron.

I don’t think so, I can’t find them if they are.

I’m interested to see how they gap the lofts as well.

PW is 44* for combo set

So most likely a 40* 9 iron, pretty darn close to the rogue pro setup

PW is 44* for combo set

Wondering how they will gap between the apex 7i and the pro 8i since the 7i is 30.5* and the pro 8i is 37*.... that’s a big gap

Callaway Apex 19 Irons Initial Thoughts / Review / Feedback

Introduction

A little bit about my golfing self before diving into the irons. I am currently around an 11-12 handicap. I'd consider myself an average ball striker. I swing my driver around 95-98 mph and my 7i around 82-83mph according to my most recent fitting at the ECPC. Before gaming the new Apex 19 irons (which I was extremely fortunate to receive at The Grandaddy brought to us by the incredible folks at Callaway and THP), I had been playing the Apex CF 16 irons for over 2.5 years. During that time, I played both a satin set with Project X 5.5 steel shafts (which I was fit into) and an Apex Black set with UST Mamiya Recoil 110 F4 graphite shafts (I was also fit into these shafts on a separate occasion). I have been playing only the Apex Black + Recoil combo for at least the last year or so. I don't think I have a consistent miss, but I do probably miss toe side more often than heal and thin more often than fat. I have loved the profile and forgiveness of the CF 16s the entire time I've used them so expectations are high going into the Apex 19.

Technology & Looks

Enough about me, let's talk about this beautiful set of irons. Even though they are 3 years old, the Apex CF 16s are still some of the best irons available. They were undeniably a breakthrough in the game improvement category thanks to their combination of performance and a relatively slim profile. Callaway's brilliant design teams set out to create a worthy successor to these tremendously popular irons, and an entirely new iron with even more technology was born. In other words, they didn't just take the CF 16 and make one change and call it something new. They learned from and used a bunch of tech from previous iron designs to create an incredible package.

- 360 Cup Face to promote higher ball speeds across the entire face

- VFT Face in the scoring clubs for improved spin control

- MIM'D tungsten weights for more precise CG location on each iron

9113746b92fa3acf32ca075dc9b05482.jpg

a231712a96d0dc51ceece6c81859e533.jpg

The previous Apex offerings boasted not only impressive performance but great looks, and the new Apex irons definitely deliver in both departments again. Like the previous generation, the new version has a satin finish (while the Pro version is chrome) and black / silver badging in the cavity. If you are a fan of the CF 16 looks, you will no doubt dig these too. They look great at address as well of course. I haven't measured the top line to confirm this, but they look maybe a bit thinner. This could be due to more rounded edges or other subtle changes.

Performance & Forgiveness

During my fitting at the ECPC, my fitter John and I landed on 5i-AW with the Project X Catalyst 80 graphite shafts in stiff (6.0) flex. These shafts weigh 85g, which makes them 20-25g lighter than what I've been using the last couple years. My 7i swing was around 82-83mph and carry distance was around 167 yards. This is around 5 yards longer than the distance I've been playing my 7i. On the course, these irons do seem to be 5-7 yards longer than my CF 16s, which may be due to the lighter shafts, but I'll have to play with them longer and also try to get them on a launch monitor to know for sure. So far, the overall performance and gapping between each iron has been very solid. I don't know if I like the Catalyst as much as the Recoils, but I'm willing to give them a long term test since I trust my fitter.

e585b6c53b0283fc9c2ef0e298f9acfe.jpg

I've also tested the forgiveness more than I would have liked during the rounds I've used them. The low / thin miss seems to be just as good as the CF 16s, which is to say it's quite impressive. Misses towards the heel or towards the toe also remind me of the CF 16's excellent level of forgiveness.

3ce81714438e602c4f10678a11fc530f.jpg

Feel / Sound / Feedback

This is obviously very subjective, so take my thoughts (and anyone's) with a grain of salt since your feel and hearing is not the same as mine.

Not surprisingly, the well struck shots feel and sound amazing. Mishits definitely provide harsher (more noticeable) feedback, so you should be able to have some idea where you hit the ball on the face, which is important to many golfers.

Durability

Longer term testing is required to provide a really meaningful report on durability, but so far, the satin Apex 19 irons seem to wear very similarly to the satin CF 16s, which is good news. I haven't seen anything concerning at this point.

For more info, check out the THP home page article here: https://www.thehackersparadise.com/callaway-apex-19-apex-pro-19-irons/

Apex CF 16 5i (left) vs Apex 19 5i

5feb2dafa9c8f00d3b2c0c393c7a991c.jpg

Apex CF 16 7i vs Apex 19 7i

f76ec289bf77ea616bc478be890ce28b.jpg

1962ac4b3941579f6f83891ca4e27324.jpg

Apex CF 16 PW vs Apex 19 PW

c0a8942317cc1a7bb487d9545448ae94.jpg

bc8eca10de58d468731d7dbc5333f91d.jpg

7d608203ff83845952ace0dfc478c64d.jpg

0b885aaea0715e04a8f060e12479d569.jpg

56d9544df181cff8ad3a4e0b1fb15505.jpg

b6acbe1bfe3826d974404d3d494fdd78.jpg

Thanks for the comparison pics! The 19's do look a little slimmer, especially in the PW, which for me is welcome! Biggest thing I notice is the offset looks to not be as much which again for me is welcome due to my sudden love of exploring the left side of the golf course.

Thanks for the comparison pics! The 19's do look a little slimmer, especially in the PW, which for me is welcome! Biggest thing I notice is the offset looks to not be as much which again for me is welcome due to my sudden love of exploring the left side of the golf course.

From what I am seeing the offset is really not noticeable at all till you get to the 5 iron.

These clubs were an absolute pleasure to hit today in 45 degree weather. So perfect on flushed shots.

Wondering how they will gap between the apex 7i and the pro 8i since the 7i is 30.5* and the pro 8i is 37*.... that’s a big gap

On the combo set the Pro’s lofts get jacked by a degree or two. Can’t remember actual specific numbers though.

CF-16 6iron is 27* and this one at 26.5* isn’t much difference that would affect gapping imo.

Got it form Callaway but here it is broken down

Apex CF-19
3 - 19*
4 - 22*
5 - 23.5*
6 - 26.5*
7 - 30.5*
8 - 34.5*
9 - 38.5*
PW - 43*

Apex Pro CF-19
3 - 20.5*
4 - 23*
5 - 26*
6 - 29*
7 - 33*
8 - 37*
9 - 41*
PW - 45*

Me being lazy and not able to find it, but did they have a loft for the AW listed too?

Me being lazy and not able to find it, but did they have a loft for the AW listed too?

Apex is 48*
Apex Pro is 50*

I've got the same shaft in the '19s that I have in the CF16s they are replacing, the Recoil 760, though a softer flex (F2 vs F3). Yet, they feel so different, so consistent from one club to the next, which I would have to attribute to the way the heads are weighted? They are supposed to be the same swingweight (D0 for graphite) so that doesn't account for it. When hitting shots they feel softer, much more of that forged feeling than I experienced with the F16s yet very powerful. I have seen some comment that they sound "clicky" and I don't get that at all but maybe a different shaft could contribute to that? If you want "clicky" hit the Ping G700s or I500s; those are not only clicky but "loud" to me though sound and feel can be very subjective.

As for gapping, again, I went 6-AW and a 2019 Apex 5h to replace the 5i then to the 5w. As well as I'm now hitting the 5w I am developing a little gap that needs addressing either by choking up/down on the 5w or possibly even replacing the 5h with the Apex 4h. I hate to add a club because I'd have to give up one of my wedges and I'm loving the MD4s and my 60° PM 2.0!

I've got the same shaft in the '19s that I have in the CF16s they are replacing, the Recoil 760, though a softer flex (F2 vs F3). Yet, they feel so different, so consistent from one club to the next, which I would have to attribute to the way the heads are weighted? They are supposed to be the same swingweight (D0 for graphite) so that doesn't account for it. When hitting shots they feel softer, much more of that forged feeling than I experienced with the F16s yet very powerful. I have seen some comment that they sound "clicky" and I don't get that at all but maybe a different shaft could contribute to that? If you want "clicky" hit the Ping G700s or I500s; those are not only clicky but "loud" to me though sound and feel can be very subjective.

As for gapping, again, I went 6-AW and a 2019 Apex 5h to replace the 5i then to the 5w. As well as I'm now hitting the 5w I am developing a little gap that needs addressing either by choking up/down on the 5w or possibly even replacing the 5h with the Apex 4h. I hate to add a club because I'd have to give up one of my wedges and I'm loving the MD4s and my 60° PM 2.0!

I have the same dilemma as you regarding the gapping between 5w and 6i. What I now do is that I have both a 4h and 5h (Apex) that I alternate in the bag depending on the conditions / course I am about to play. I don't either want to carry both at the same time.

Looks like to me is that you have more margin for error with the CF16 than you do with the Apex19. I really like the CF16 but like the looks of the 19 as well. It's going to have to be something more than marginal to knock the CF16's out of my bag. Looks like test/decision time for me.

I have the same dilemma as you regarding the gapping between 5w and 6i. What I now do is that I have both a 4h and 5h (Apex) that I alternate in the bag depending on the conditions / course I am about to play. I don't either want to carry both at the same time.

I'm not sure I'd be able to get the Recoil 760 in the 2019 Apex 4h without a custom order, so I'm starting to put aside some clubs for trade in. :act-up: I think it was in the fairway thread that one nice option that I have with the Flash fairways is that I can adjust the 5w to +2 to perhaps close that gap a little bit.

Looks like to me is that you have more margin for error with the CF16 than you do with the Apex19. I really like the CF16 but like the looks of the 19 as well. It's going to have to be something more than marginal to knock the CF16's out of my bag. Looks like test/decision time for me.

The weighting in the heads is totally different in the '19s compared to the CF16s. Here in breezy, 50°+ temps I am getting summer like distances to maybe even as much as a 1/2 to a full club more in distance with the '19s. I find the forgiveness at least equal to if not a little better than the CF16s but I haven't gotten a lot of rounds under my belt with these due to weather. Playing more will give me a much better indication of how they compare.

Does anyone know how the lofts of the Apex ‘19s compare to the Rogue Pros?

Does anyone know how the lofts of the Apex ‘19s compare to the Rogue Pros?

2° stronger in the AW/PW but incrementally decreasing so the difference is only .5° stronger in the 5i. That is the standard '19 Apex comapred to the Rogue Pro irons. The Apex Pro irons tend to be weaker than the Rogue Pro.

2° stronger in the AW/PW but incrementally decreasing so the difference is only .5° stronger in the 5i. That is the standard '19 Apex comapred to the Rogue Pro irons. The Apex Pro irons tend to be weaker than the Rogue Pro.

When I was fit for my Rogue Pros at the ECPC , I was fit at 1° strong to lower my launch angle... these might be spot on then.

Back