Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

When I was fit for my Rogue Pros at the ECPC , I was fit at 1° strong to lower my launch angle... these might be spot on then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Although the Rogue Pros utilize those microshperes for feel they don't have the floating MIM'd tungsten weight unique to each clubhead like in the Apex which is one of the reason the lofts have been strengthened. So I wouldn't necessarily count on the stronger lofts having the same, desirable effect that you experienced with the Rogue Pros by going 1° strong. I find the '19s a little higher launching than my CF16s.

Although the Rogue Pros utilize those microshperes for feel they don't have the floating MIM'd tungsten weight unique to each clubhead like in the Apex which is one of the reason the lofts have been strengthened. So I wouldn't necessarily count on the stronger lofts having the same, desirable effect that you experienced with the Rogue Pros by going 1° strong. I find the '19s a little higher launching than my CF16s.

That’s good feedback... thanks

The pro’s look cleeeaaaannnnn

Smoke will be in the bag

b41534aab232180be2b00d0913a5b36f.jpg

Smoke will be in the bag

b41534aab232180be2b00d0913a5b36f.jpg

i think that’s where i will land too. iirc they have custom black shaft options that will be stock too in the elevate 95 and catalyst 80 (though i may be mistaken)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Phil - thanks for the insightful feedback on the Apex irons. It's greatly appreciated. Could you expand on what Callaway means by 'floating' MIM tungsten weights? Is this new technology? According to DNevs, Callaway used MIM'd weights in the Rogue irons. Check out the 1:00 mark on this Callaway Talks video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQelYmF9a3s. I'm familiar with MIM for professional reasons and that's why your comment piqued my interest. Thanks!

General info for anyone wondering about MIM. MIM = Metal Injection Molding. The technology is very cool and you can find lots of YouTube videos on it.

i think that’s where i will land too. iirc they have custom black shaft options that will be stock too in the elevate 95 and catalyst 80 (though i may be mistaken)

The elevate are black but not sure about the PX since they’re offered in both ion and black matte finish.

Phil - thanks for the insightful feedback on the Apex irons. It's greatly appreciated. Could you expand on what Callaway means by 'floating' MIM tungsten weights? Is this new technology? According to DNevs, Callaway used MIM'd weights in the Rogue irons. Check out the 1:00 mark on this Callaway Talks video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQelYmF9a3s. I'm familiar with MIM for professional reasons and that's why your comment piqued my interest. Thanks!

General info for anyone wondering about MIM. MIM = Metal Injection Molding. The technology is very cool and you can find lots of YouTube videos on it.

As far as I know, the Epic irons were actually the introduction of MIM weights in irons. (I'd imagine paying for the development of the tooling around that process is in large part why they had such a premium price)

The elevate are black but not sure about the PX since they’re offered in both ion and black matte finish.

i wasn’t sure about the catalyst specifically. i saw a pic freddie posted, but thought it might have been the catalyst in the apex hybo.

floating means just that - utilizing the urethane to better position the MIM weight

also used in the new Bertha irons

I just hit an Apex Pro 6i from 192 to 10 feet...blind over trees. Ball is 5 ft. from the pitch mark.
The more I hit these irons the luckier I get.

Quoting myself because this ended up being the best shot of my round today, and is the perfect example to show what these irons are capable of. I was in the rough on a slight downhill lie with some pretty tall trees separating me from the green, and 192 to the pin. I had to trek 50-60 yards back to my fairway to even get the measurement with the rangefinder. I needed the ball to a) get up quick b) come off fast and c) draw 30 yards or so. This is the sort of shot that I usually don't even attempt but with a new set of irons I like to push the boundaries a little.

The shot was executed to perfection and although I couldn't see the second half of the ball flight I could tell from the reactions of my group that I had pulled it off.

I freaking LOVE these irons so far! The combination of power and playability is something that could really really open doors for some golfers.

The weighting in the heads is totally different in the '19s compared to the CF16s. Here in breezy, 50°+ temps I am getting summer like distances to maybe even as much as a 1/2 to a full club more in distance with the '19s. I find the forgiveness at least equal to if not a little better than the CF16s but I haven't gotten a lot of rounds under my belt with these due to weather. Playing more will give me a much better indication of how they compare.

I was basing everything so far just strictly visual. Haven't swung these or even laid eyes on them yet, but anxious to do so. My irons will be replaced this year, so these will definitely be on the try list.

My understanding is the microspheres in the Rogue irons were utilized for feel and speed but the MIM'd weights were "fixed". I could be wrong (I'm going off an aging memory here LOL). In the Apex, the MIM'd weights are actually suspended or floating in the microspheres and the positioning is unique to each iron.

While I like the look of the smoke irons, I would be very hesitant to buy them since my experience with Callaways dark finish is it wore off in 3 rounds. That would bother me to no end and then they would rust (horrors) forcing me to sell them immediately.

I was basing everything so far just strictly visual. Haven't swung these or even laid eyes on them yet, but anxious to do so. My irons will be replaced this year, so these will definitely be on the try list.

I can't say I've been surprised by the feel and performance of the Apex '19's as I would expect nothing less from Callaway when introducing a new version of an already great product. I mentioned in my review of the fitting that going into it as long as I saw the same level of performance from these new Apex irons that I was getting with my CF16s I'd be satisfied. Well I am waaay beyond satisfied! They feel solid and powerful yet more of a softer forged feel than The CF16s. They launch slightly higher even with slightly stronger lofts, are longer (can't wait for summer conditions to see just how much longer they will be) and I see more "stopping power" on shots into the greens, which could be an increase in spin and/or decent angle.

Since returning from #TheGrandaddy I've only been able to get in 6 rounds under less than ideal conditions. I'm anxious to get out and play more to be able to give a better, longer term review. To that end I have reinstalled my GameGolf tags in these irons.

I can't say I've been surprised by the feel and performance of the Apex '19's as I would expect nothing less from Callaway when introducing a new version of an already great product. I mentioned in my review of the fitting that going into it as long as I saw the same level of performance from these new Apex irons that I was getting with my CF16s I'd be satisfied. Well I am waaay beyond satisfied! They feel solid and powerful yet more of a softer forged feel than The CF16s. They launch slightly higher even with slightly stronger lofts, are longer (can't wait for summer conditions to see just how much longer they will be) and I see more "stopping power" on shots into the greens, which could be an increase in spin and/or decent angle.

Since returning from #TheGrandaddy I've only been able to get in 6 rounds under less than ideal conditions. I'm anxious to get out and play more to be able to give a better, longer term review. To that end I have reinstalled my GameGolf tags in these irons.

Again you are playing with my heart with all these better than CF16 posts lol......i loved the 16’s!!

Callaway Apex 19 and Apex Pro 19 Irons

While I like the look of the smoke irons, I would be very hesitant to buy them since my experience with Callaways dark finish is it wore off in 3 rounds. That would bother me to no end and then they would rust (horrors) forcing me to sell them immediately.

The Apex blacks I had wore better than I expected. I had them for about a year and really most of the wear was from range sessions.

FWIW I never saw rust

Last edited:

my current irons are fading. not terribly, but it’s happening. i’m fine with it. that really wouldn’t be much of a concern for me, and i would like the consistency of finish if i went combo set would be much better than if i had satin forged in the long irons and chrome pros in the short irons.

My understanding is the microspheres in the Rogue irons were utilized for feel and speed but the MIM'd weights were "fixed". I could be wrong (I'm going off an aging memory here LOL). In the Apex, the MIM'd weights are actually suspended or floating in the microspheres and the positioning is unique to each iron.

Thank you. That makes complete sense. Blakehall nailed the point. MIM tooling and process validations are spendy endeavors. I wondered if the microspheres could bond the tungsten weights in place. Assume they weld (maybe press fit) the weights in place for Epic and Rogue.

Again you are playing with my heart with all these better than CF16 posts lol......i loved the 16’s!!

Everyone loved the CF16s...

I played the 16's for a little bit and I think the feel is quite a bit better with this model than the last. Looks wise they are both fantastic but this new version definitely stepped it up a notch.

Looks are one thing, but these have to deliver on performance.

I was playing the cf16's until I tried the Ping i500. I'm finding it to be of a similar profile to the cf16's and perhaps a bit longer. Definitely planning to check out the cf19's when my fitter gets the heads in.

my current irons are fading. not terribly, but it’s happening. i’m fine with it. that really wouldn’t be much of a concern for me, and i would like the consistency of finish if i went combo set would be much better than if i had satin forged in the long irons and chrome pros in the short irons.

But isn't the combo all the same?
Going to be nice to actually see these clubs at some point.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Back